1.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Durango:

Oct 102017

Durango

When driving foe 10 miles. Engine shuts off. Loose all power. New PCM. Same results.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Aug 032015

Durango

I purchased a 2000 Dodge Durango used at 147K miles in November 2014. By March 2015, it turned off randomly while I was driving, multiple times over the course of 6 months. The speed didn't matter. After seeing 2 mechanics, they sent me to an electrical specialist who determined it was my PCM. I replaced it 3 times, and the second one sent to me had holes drilled in it then filled with silicone. That one worked the least. Apparently, the PCM was replaced once before I purchased it. When I got the third one in, it seemed to correct the issue. How is the engine shutting off randomly not a recall issue" what if it shut off while I was driving down the highway at 65mph? what if there was no good place to pull over, and with no power steering I might add" I had my kid in the car with me most of the time.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Jun 102015

Durango

Head gasket leak created a heater core issue where coolant would "mist" through the vents. This posed a health risk to my children and I who have asthma. And there's no telling the long term effects of inhaling coolant mist. Due to cost, we had to reroute the heater core, thus disabling it and going without heat and defrost during the winter months. Since then, the gasket issue is now causing even more issues of smoking under the hood, smoke out the tail pipe, and coolant overheating. It is my understanding head gaskets are a common problem with Durangos. It's about time they issue a recall and fix it. I'm greatly concerned about my children's health and safety, plus the environmental impact from the emissions change due to the gasket.

- Freeport, TX, USA

Sep 072016

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact stated that the sensors were replaced (throttle position sensor, crankshaft, speed cam, aic, spark plug wires, rotors and distributor cup, distributor rotor, ignition coil, map sensor). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 272015

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after disabling the PCM wires. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic on numerous occasions. The crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, and oxygen sensor were replaced at different times. In addition, the other components replaced were the distributor cap, ignition coil, and ECM relay. The failure persisted after each repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Harrisburg, SD, USA

Apr 082014

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After waiting ten minutes, the vehicle restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred on numerous occasions when driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to several independent mechanics who were unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Dec 072014

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. While driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently. In addition, the vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the mat sensor, cam sensor, spark plugs, and multiple parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 155,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Oct 022015

Durango

First off, the power driver seat moves with the motion of the car about a 1/2" forward and back. It has been told to me that a spacer is needed to be installed in the mechanism. Second and more important is the engine cuts off when the car is decelerating; all power to the car is impeded. The car will not restart immediately.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

May 052015

Durango

Multiple times the truck has just died. Driving down the road no warning. The vehicle runs just fine and starts right back up. Yesterday this happened on the highway and almost caused a major accident. When it dies you loose all power steering and power brakes. It is dangerous and ive found numerous complaints online from Durango owners with the same problem.

- Rainier, OR, USA

Sep 042013

Durango

Would start spitting jumping jerking rough idle almost stop then would pull over put in part would idle really low to where it almost die go to pull out barely would like it was stalling no power even with the gas pedal to the floor was a couple times I almost got hit because it would start this and lose power slow way down would try to get off to side of the road thought it might be the gas so we got the really high grade to just see still does it have got stranded out a couple times had to get someone to come help me get it home it scares me I'm afraid I'm going to get hit when it does this and I'm on fixed income so I can't afford to spend any money on it to fix it so was wondering if it was something that maybe it was recalled for I bought it used in 2013 from a lady that let me make payments til I got it paid for thank you

- Mosheim, TN, USA

Jul 012013

Durango 8-cyl

After reading the other posts on this website, I wanted to share my problem. I own a 2000 Dodge Durango, it has about 172,000 miles. My husband and I are retired and only drive it a few times a week. After owning the truck for four months, it would not start. I had it towed to the garage and was told it was the cam sensor. After the sensor was replaced I had no problems for about six months. Then it would not start sometimes, even when it was cold. It would die while driving regardless of the speed. I mean it just shuts off completely. Sometimes it would start right back up and sometimes it would take fifteen minutes or more. I took it back to the garage and the mechanic was surprised that the cam sensor was bad again. He replaced the cam sensor and the truck was good for about four months. Just recently while we on vacation (about two hours from home) the sensor went bad again! luckily we made it home, the mechanic replaced the cam sensor again. If this is a common problem, what doesn't Dodge fix the problem, and reimburse Durango owners for the repair bills!

- Lansford, PA, USA

Jun 132014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on the interstate speed limit 75 and the engine just shut off. No steering, no brakes, no codes, no warning lights nothing. Thank goodness it was in the evening and light traffic, got finally stopped and had to wait 2hrs before restarting, went about another 5 miles and did it again. Finally got to where I was going and then the next day had to travel again on interstate and it did it again and had to wait 45 minutes to restart. When I finally got home I search the internet for this problem and there a many many sites that people have had the same problem!!!! a recall needs to be done and this problem needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 142011

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the engine could not be restarted for a minimum of thirty minutes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing where the dealer could not find a defect in the vehicle. The contact also took the vehicle to a local mechanic and the mechanic could not find an issue with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 202,000.

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Aug 012012

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was determined that the computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was also repaired by the dealer and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 126,331.

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Jan 072013

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The dealer had not been able to determine what caused the failure. The failure mileage was unknown but the current mileage was 200,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Dec 052012

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact also stated that the failure occurred at different speeds. The vehicle was taken to four different independent mechanics for diagnostic testing. The mechanics replaced the speed sensor, battery, fuel pump, spark plugs and the coils but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 212012

Durango

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited a rough idle. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer advised that the coolant caused the vehicle stall and exhibit a rough idle. The dealer did not advised to what needed to be repaired. The contact failure mileage was 160,000.

- Englewood, TN, USA

Oct 182012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle stopped running while driving on highway. Engine shut down to 400 (four hundred) rpms. Pulled to side of highway luckily and engine shut off. Would not start. I have owned this truck for 12 years. Something started smoking and possibility of fire was a major concern.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 122012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This problem has happened multiple times while my wife and children are in the car also. My Durango shuts off with out warning. There is no engine light on, it seems to happen the most when going into reverse and when slowing down to make a turn or for a light. My wife refuses to drive the car anymore because she fears for her and our children's safety. I have looked all over the internet for the solution and no body has one. This problem needs to be fixed and if it can't be, a recall on the truck should be put out, mopar should have to buy back all cars with this problem before someone gets killed.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Jun 212012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Dodge Durango. The contact stated there was a knocking sound coming from engine compartment. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. They offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 165,000.....updated 01/14/13 the consumer stated there seems to be a deficiency in the motors. The consumer is having problems finding a replacement that isn't suffering the same problem. Updated 1/15/2013

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA