Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Dodge Durango:

Jun 242019

Durango

When downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, transmission does not shift smoothly. Exhibits a jolt forward, especially when coming to a full stop. Issue observed for several months. Issue was raised to the Dodge dealership service technicians over the course of several visits after experience the recurring issue. Vehicle has been in shop for over 4 weeks, no resolution. Service reps have observed the issue as well. Service technician referred to it as "bump stop". it is a consistently noticeable jolt most times when downshifting to 1st gear, especially on city streets when approaching a stop sign or red light.the technicians continue to try and reset the computer program and run diagnostics but nothing seems to be resolving the issue.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 282018

Durango

Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear and vehicle lurches forward when coming to a stop and from 4th to 5th gear at times while up shifts at slow cruising speed it feels like it's bogging before shifting up to 5th. Downshifting 5th to 4th feels a clunk. Brought it to the dealer 3 river Dodge in pittsburgh pa when I 1st bought it they said all the software was up to date and nothing they can do for me. This seems to be a issue but I cannot get a resolution from dealer.I bought it September 27 2018 and problem still there.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 232018

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was engaged in park, it rolled back and crashed into a tree. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained injuries while running after the vehicle and bruised both knees. Medical attention was not received. The vehicle was taken to trinity Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (1550 w springfield rd, taylorville, il 62568, (217) 824-3377) where the shift knob was updated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Feb 152019

Durango

It was noted shortly after purchasing the vehicle that the car will shift really hard when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. The hard sh*t will sometimes cause a jerking motion in the car. This problem continues today. I have taken the care many times to the dealership. They have told me each time that either a software updated was needed or they could not replicate the issue. Please note the issue is not every time. The problem does come and go. Last Friday, 2/15, the car would not go into reverse. I would put the car in reverse and it was as if I were still in park. After a few tries, I restarted the car and it went into reverse with no problem. The next day Saturday 2/16, after I placed the car in park, I took my foot off the brake and the car lunged forward as if it were still in gear. I again restarted the car, this time a few times, just to see if the car would do it again. It did not. Yesterday, this has happened before and was taken in for service, a noise would come from the shifter knob area each time the brake was pressed. The know has been replaced once before by bob baker dealership. On top of these issue, the electronics have gone out on the dashboard where the climate control, radio, etc are located. I have an appointment to try and get this issues address at bob baker dealership. I have 20 pages of service history on this car, most of it are regarding the very hard downshifting.below I will mark the date the most recent issue happened with the car.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jan 032019

Durango

"takata recall" I've had several experiences with my 2016 Dodge Durango that was bought brand in June or July 2016 with 23 miles on it from a Dodge dealership. A couple months after it was bought, the car cut off while driving presenting signals of "pull over", "check engine", "power train" and more. The signals were flashing non stop. Once I pulled over, the car wouldn't start or move so I put it in park and contacted the dealership. My car was towed to the dealership and the dealership stated that the repairs lied with the computer chip(s). It was a simple update needed. My husband and I paid for that. In March/April of 2017, we experienced our car rolling into the neighbors yard while on and in park. Our home camera taped me getting out of the vehicle while in park (according to the rear lights) in my front yard on the grass and then the car moving forward of which the camera stopped recording at this moment. When I walked back outside to my car, it was rolling onto the neighbors' property. I had to run and catch it. In the later months of 2017, the gas lever stopped working. After pushing the gas button, it wouldn't open and still doesn't open, so we have to open the gas using the "string" or pulley in the trunk space of the Durango by lifting the lift gate to get to it. In December 2018, the car wouldn't start. Dodge towed it to the nearest dealership and a new battery was needed along with recall updates. January 2019, the vehicle's dashboard went out with no lighting or anything showing although the car was operable. It is currently still in the shop while my family of 5 is operating with one vehicle.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Dec 012016

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle intermittently felt like it went into another gear and accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to teterboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (469 us-46, little ferry, NJ 07643, 201-440-0222), but the failure could not be duplicated or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 31,000.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Jun 102017

Durango

While decelerating, at approximately 25 mph, experienced a severe bump during downshift causing driver to lose temporary foot to brake pedal contact. Occurred in traffic approaching traffic light. Made dealer service department aware of condition. While road testing with advisor, I was told condition normal to vehicle. Attempted repair was re flash of transmission control module. Slight improvement was short lived, now worse than prior to re flash.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Mar 162018

Durango

While driving the vehicle a message came up on the cluster "start/stop system disabled. Service start/stop system". shortly after there was another message "low battery mode. Some systems function reduced". I looked at the system health status and the battery voltage was at 11.2 volts. While driving the voltage continued to drop. I called the dealer and they asked me to bring the vehicle in to check diagnostics. While driving to the dealer the voltage continued to drop and the radio turned off and would not turn back on. When I arrived at the dealership the voltage was at ~10.1 volts. When I pulled the vehicle into the dealership service bay the service writer came over and we agreed to not shut off the vehicle as we weren't sure whether it would restart given the battery voltage. As the vehicle idled in the service bay the voltage continued to drop and the voltage was just over 9 volts when I got out of the vehicle. The vehicle was running and was in park. Parking brake was not engaged. A dealership employee got into the vehicle and was going to move it but the service writer asked him to leave it where it was until they determined which technician it would be assigned to. The dealership employee told me that he did not move the vehicle and did not take it out of park. I went into the waiting room inside the dealership and a few minutes later the service manager came out to tell me that there was an issue with my vehicle and that it drove into a wall in the service bay with no one in the vehicle. When I went out into the bay the rh front wheel had climbed a curb and the vehicle had hit a wall. Fca special investigation team reviewed vehicle and determined that there was no mechanical issue which would cause the vehicle to move on its own. No explanation was found for low voltage condition. Dealership has video of incident.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Feb 082017

Durango

Key fob message key fob has left vehicle when vehicle is in motion, driving highway, stopped as well as parked. At times unable to get in to car. Other times when in vehicle the vehicle will not start. Also, transmission command in drive the vehicle will not go forward and in reverse the vehicle will not back up and when it does it make a noise.

- Sandia Park, NM, USA

Aug 062017

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. While parking the vehicle, the electronic rotary control failed to reverse the vehicle and, instead, it independently surged forward. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer (best Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, 520 colony pl, Plymouth, MA 02360), but was not diagnosed or repaired. On several occasions, the vehicle proceeded to roll away after the gear selector was placed into park. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jul 052017

Durango

While reversing to hook boat trailer up to vehicle, vehicle took off at a high rate of speed in revers. Hitting the brakes did not help. The vehicle slammed into the trailer with boat sitting on it and pushed into a tree before the vehicle would stop. Furthermore, this vehicle has been into the dealer's 5 times for headliner issues which included interior lights not working, rear ac vents not working, pinched wires in the wiring harness and airbag lights on.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jul 192017

Durango

This may be a scenario for the ongoing investigation of rollaway (NHTSA action number: PE16014) the vehicle in this scenario was stationary. I follow the normal procedure for parking my Durango by (1)applying parking brake, (2)moving the shifter to park, (3) turn ignition off, and then (4)exiting the vehicle. Today, I brought my vehicle to stop for parking, which triggered the stop-start system, turning the engine off. At this time, before shifting the transmission to park, I opened the door of the vehicle. This action of opening door made the stop-start system unavailable. After this when I lifted my foot from the brake pedal, and moved transmission to park (with park light lit), my thinking was that the vehicle would start its engine as it would be coming out of stop-start system. But, this did not happen as the driver door was open and the stop-start system was disabled. At this time, when I lifted my foot of the brake, the car advanced forward with no power. Even then the engine did not start. Then I turned the car off and turned it back on and all worked fine. While checking this scenario again, I turned the car off while the stop-start was deactivated. The vehicle did a powerless rolling. I started the vehicle again and all worked fine. It seems that the opening of the driver door before the vehicle exits the stop-start system initiated engine-off, causes the vehicle to enter a state where things are not predictable. My expectation was that the taking foot off the brake pedal or changing gear shifter, would make the engine come back to life. But that did not happen. I hope that there could be solution for this issue. I always apply parking brake since the time I have learned how to drive, and that surely must be helping me here.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 102017

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. While the gear shifter was placed in park, the owner exited the vehicle and left two of the occupants inside. The vehicle rolled away and struck another parked vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The insurance company's collision center stated that they did not believe the vehicle was safe to drive. The mechanic further stated that they did not want to service the vehicle until after Chrysler conducted an investigation. The manufacturer had not called the contact back yet per case number: 31602871. The failure mileage was approximately 15,240.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Apr 032017

Durango

I have owned the 2016 Dodge Durango since August of 2016. In that time, there have been two cases where I stopped the car, thought I put it in park, thought I turned it off, and exited the vehicle. When I came back to it, I found that it was still running and still in drive. The only reason it wasn't moving was because I always set the parking brake. I think there is a serious design flaw with the transmission on this car. I heard that other Chrysler cars have this kind of problem and have been fixed by making it so that the car will turn off if the driver takes off the seatbelt and exits the car. This problem most recently happened to me yesterday when I was going to pick up my daughter at school. If the parking break had failed, it would have run over a bunch of kids. This is really scary and needs an immediate fix

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Feb 062017

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. When the vehicle was started and still in the park position, it rolled down the driveway and crashed into the neighbor's house. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer sent an investigator who could not duplicate the failure and stated that the vehicle was fine. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Dec 312016

Durango

The vehicle was running and in park, rolled into another parked vehicle about 5ft away. Damage to both vehicles due to impact. Seems to have shifted out of gear on its own.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 052016

Durango 6-cyl

The 2016 Durango rented from enterprise repeatedly, increasingly but intermittently and without driver input, changed gear, revved and indicated on the screen that there were issues with "key fob not in vehicle and "tires pressure". at first their were three very brief incidents lasting less than three seconds over a week, occurring at idle and when accelerating. Later the occurrences lasted sometimes over 20 seconds each and happened sometimes several times per hour, increasingly worse. While there was clearly an issue with the shifter, there appeared to be additional or related issues with the electronic brain. Resetting the options, like shutting off the hill climb option which it was set on before we rented it seemed to help at first but did not. This was dangerous and disturbing. Finally, the car lurched out of park and hit a wall on its own from a few feet away. I have photos and will give more information. These incidents occurred at various times, and seemingly more in the rain and fog, though not exclusively. They occurred once when leaving a stoplight at a low speed turning left, on the freeway, on streets around 30/35 mph and at idle at full stop. Most occurrences were while driving on regular city streets where we did most of the driving on that trip in san jose, monterey and carmel. The worst was right before the pebble beach concours D'elegance, after I had driven North from san diego on a continuous freeway drive in the rain. It may just be a coincidence, but all three of the first instances in the first week of rental occurred after at least an hour drive on the freeway. In san jose, I immediately requested a replacement car but they had none.the second driver immediately noticed issues with the car, but we were told there were no other cars available. I think either the computer circuits were corroded and/or damaged or damp.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 162016

Durango

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Durango. After driving the vehicle, shifting into park, and exiting, the contact stated that the vehicle rolled forward and almost caused a crash. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 15,000. The VIN was not available.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Dec 102016

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle was in park, engine running, while owner was pumping gas at the station. With the driver's door ajar, he was standing outside for several minutes and suddenly the vehicle took off in reverse. Vehicle was in park and not moving for the several minutes while pumping gas. The vehicle took off, dragged owner by the open door under the vehicle and ran his leg over. Continued moving until it hit a pole. Owner was hospitalized.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Aug 102016

Durango

Computer/transmission issues. Car broke down and could not put in park because the computer thought my speed was too high even though I was standing still. Once the car was towed to the dealer it moved forward while it was in park. (video evidence) in a previous incident the car was placed in park and not turned off. I exited the vehicle with the engine still running. The car idled forward on its own damaging a garage and the car itself. Initially, I thought this was due to me not putting the car in park but now I don't believe this was the case. I believed the car to be in park but the electronic transmission control kept the did not recognize that vehicle was in park.

- Bristow, VA, USA