6.9

$90

Most common solutions:

2. remove & reinsert the 20 amp iod fuse (53 reports)
  3. disconnected battery for 1 minute (11 reports)
  4. remove and reinsert BCM #1 fuse (7 reports)
  5. update firmware in body control module (BCM) (7 reports)
  6. dealer charged me to reflash the computer (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

Jan 242013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

I Can't beleive that Dodge hasn't done a recall on this if it's such a known problem. I love my Dodge, have had 3 of them. I have never had this problem with any of them except this one. It started when I replaced my battery. Thank God I married a Mechanic lol Hope Dodge does something about this. I am complaining to them and SafeCar.

- Carrie P., North Kingstown, RI, USA

Oct 102012

Grand Caravan Special Edition 3.8L V6

Doors won't lock with fob have to lock them each by hand also automatic locking of all doors at app. 20 miles an hour does not work either . I read about pulling 20 amp fuse out then putting it back in it worked . it lasted about 2 weeks then happened again, did the same thing with the fuse it worked again for about 3 weeks then stopped working again, pulled fuse and put back in it worked again for about 2 weeks . it quit working on dec.4 pulled fuse again and put it back in it worked but only one day this time. now it has happened on the 5th,6th,7th,and today the 8th of DEC.

- Glendon A., Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Caravan V6

Car dome lights came on when I had stopped van. I checked all doors; none were left open. Doors would not lock inside or outside, with remote, manually or with key. I even tried to push down manual lock knob at the top near window. Good thing I left the window down because the key wouldn't work (manually or with remote). I would have been locked out of the van. I have never had vehicle whereby the key would not unlock the car manually either. This was really scary; now nothing is secure inside the van. Took to dealer and it stayed in shop for over 3 months, worked for 2 months, then remote locks and internal locks don't work again. Afraid to lock with key now because may not be able to unlock it. Also, have had continuous problems with brakes wearing a lot, transmission cooler leaked and had to be replaced, problems with sliding doors, etc., etc., etc. I like ease of getting in and out of van due to my knee problems and disabilities, but I can't afford to trade it or dump it and get something else like a Toyota Highlander!

- eglenn, Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 152012

Grand Caravan XLT

Had the computer reset at Doge Dealer today. Wish I would have found this site first. 5 hours later the drivers side passenger door stopped locking and unlocking. Gonna call the dealer and raise heck tomorrow.

- herd0ne, St Marys, WV, USA

Apr 242012

Grand Caravan

I had the same problem as everyone else, and sure enough, it turned out to be fixed by reprogramming the BCM as per TSB 08-040-04. My beef is that this is a DEFECT in the original programming, and that Dodge recognizes the defect since they came up with the solution in the TSB (which is a fix, not an upgrade.) Since it is a safety issue for doors not to lock while driving, it should be a recall and I should not have to pay the $137 to fix it.

I agree with those who say that if many people complain to Dodge and to NHTSA, they may listen and still make it a recall. I did call the NHTSA (1-888-327-4236) and they seem to be taking it seriously.

- Virginia J., Harleysville, PA, USA

Sep 102011

Grand Caravan V6

I bought this van 3 months before the locks decided to stop working. Worst part of the whole thing is the horn would go off every time I got into the van. The doors would not lock while traveling down the road. There is only 1 door that you can lock / unlock with a key. Took van to a neighborhood repair shop. We were told this vehicle is noted for this problem. Van was "fixed" by re-programing. Only lasted 5 months and it has happened again. See next complaint.

- Donna M., Elma, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Same old same old with the power door locks which is widespread. This was the first of about 3 times, but I'm not going to report the other 2. Internet research said to pull the IOD fuse for a few seconds and replace. It works, but it also wipes out the radio programming each time. Maybe it won't do it again. Yeah, right.

Update from Apr 29, 2015: At 98K now, and only one other failure I can remember. Now will probably do it again tomorrow.

Update from Jun 11, 2015: Around May 28 15 locks quit again. Pulled the IOD, reset the radio programming again.

- Raymond L., Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 212012

Grand Caravan V6

It seems to be a repeat of the problem that was "fixed" 5 months ago. Is this a problem we will continue to have every few months re-programing the unit, or is there a permanent fix? We have an appointment for Saturday am. I am not happy !

- Donna M., Elma, NY, USA

Jun 082011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.3L V6

x@#$%^&*@#$%#@$ Dodge anyway!!!!! Locks quit working electrically. First the dealer said it was a switch on the drivers side, but that proved to be wrong. I told them that I removed the iod module and it worked for a while and then quit again. They checked all wiring and now say that I may need to change the BCM, which is very expensive. I am out of warranty. This should have been a recall and Dodge should do the right thing by their customers.

- beavefrmn, Longview, WA, USA

Dec 312011

Grand Caravan SXT Limited Edition 3.8L V6

Just bought this vehicle but noticed an issue with the sliding door while we were looking at it. We told the dealer that we wanted it fixed before purchasing. They removed the IOD fuse and replaced it...and it appeared to solve the issue. That is, until we got home! As soon as we got home, the power door locks failed. I found this website and used the IOD fuse trick again. Just had the local Dodge dealer update the firmware to see if the problem goes away permanently. Will report back!

Update from Mar 22, 2012: Updating the firmware has resolved this issue completely for us. It cost us $100, but have not had a single failure since.

- Jason F., Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Aug 232011

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

I bought a 1993 plain jane caravan 10 years ago, it had no bells and whistles to go wrong but I had to repair the transmission 3 times and replaced the a/c pump once. I foolishly bought a 2000 caravan with a few options; pdl, pw. True to the nature of Dodge both stopped working so I got rid of it. Third time fool, bought a 2005 caravan, rear door lock quit working and have to use the key to open the hatch (not really handy in the winter when the keyhole is covered in snow), passenger side window won,t work most of the time and heater fan motor works most of the time but not all of the time. I work at a Diamler chrysler industrial dealership now and realize it is not a Dodge problem as much as it is a Diamler problem as I am learning that almost all divisions of Diamler products have the same pathetic wiring and electrical problems. I say almost all divisions not because they don't ALL have the same problems but because I only have had first hand experience with three divisions; all suck. What are the chances that the only three I've had experience with are the only three with these problems. I have been a Mechanic for 24 years now, when I first started this trade the last problem that was suspect was the control modules or the computer. Most of the current troubleshooting now starts with replace module with known good one (like everyone has a spare of everything laying around) and retest. Second step is check or replace wiring harness and third is contact your dealer who is as much in the dark as you. The only reason I bought a Dodge three times is because they were the least expensive, turns out they were the most cheaply build too.

- R H., Grande Prairie, AB, Canada

Aug 092011

Grand Caravan ES V6

I am so glad I found this information. I have also had many issues with my van, not as many as some I have read about. My power lock just stopped working one day. I purchased a new battery as it was time for a new one. My locks worked for 2 days, then they didn't again. It is very frustrating having to manually open all the doors. Here is one suggestion. I did not lose all function, the back hatch never had an issue, just the side doors and the power buttons on the inside doors not working. 1 Tip I found out. if you do not click the lock button on the key, your back hatch although it sounds like it is locking , does not. you need to push the key to lock the back hatch. Pretty scary when I discovered this after holiday shopping. I did not know about the IOD fuse. I just went and tried it and my locks are working again. Lets see for how long.... You would think with the number of complaints a recall would have been issued long ago.. I will keep my post updated as to how long the IOD fuse take out and put back lasts.

- Marcella M., Brandon, FL, US

Dec 012011

Grand Caravan v6

Power lock's not working , the interior lock button's will not work, and the button on the key will not work?

Update from Oct 7, 2012: The rear passeger side door will not open. i checked all the fuse's , when i press the key fob it sounds like it's opnin , but it's not.

- gina1974, Redford, MI, US

Oct 192011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.9L V6

Same issues as everyone else. My gripe is when side rear doors are locked its hard from a wheelchair to reach interior door lock to unlock.

- 1971wheels, Reynoldsburg, OH, US

Sep 192009

Grand Caravan

2-3 times a week, my auto locks stop working. Have to lock and unlock all the doors manually and there is only a keyhole for the doors on the drivers side. Not helpful for a family vehicle

- cwhitey, West Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 112010

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

Power door locks fail to operate from the key remote, or the door switch. have tried removing & replacing the fuse, diconnecting the battery. both have worked for a short period, but the problem comes back. Dodge has toquit hiding from this issue & do something about this problem.

- Matt B., Summerland, BC, canada

Aug 012010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Have been very satisfied with our 2005 Grand Caravan. It now has 115000 miles on it, have changed tranny oil every 50000 miles, engine oil every 3-5000 miles. I would pull the fuse and re-set the lock problem which would last weeks into months. Recently it would trip within the day on a regular basis, so I took it to local dealer, cost to upgrade software in body control module was $21 plus tax, small price to pay in my book. Another common problem with this vintage of Dodge/Chrysler was replacing the tie-rod ends which I had to do at 90,000 miles, but replaced with lifetime warrantied ones at an independent repair shop, so they shouldn't be a problem anymore. Driver's side sliding door wire loom has been replaced twice, but with 4 kids using that door over and over again, it doesn't surprise me. I replaced the front and rear brake pads myself at 90,000 and 108,000 respectively. It gets excellent mileage on the open road, 25 mpg typically, depending how you drive. Piddling around town or poor driving habits will affect mpg like any other vehicle. When we are ready to sell or trade, we will buy another Dodge/Chrysler van. Is developing rust on bottom in front of rear wheels and on bottom behind front wheels right where the body begins to flatten out, so check this out if you live in wintery area..

- Tim M., Nashua, IA, USA

Aug 102011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.2L V6

This problem actually started a few months ago when the powerlocks just quit working. I thought it might be a fuse so I took it to Auto Zone, they pulled fuses trying to find one and none were burnt, but when they put them back, the locks started to work again. This lasted about 6 weeks and then they went out again, I pulled the same fuse and again they worked again for a few weeks. Finally they went out and pulling the fuse did nothing so I took it to a dealer. They replaced the motor. One week later they stopped working again and I called and took it back about one week later. They replaced the motor on the other side. 2 weeks later they stopped working again. I took it back there this past Wednesday, they reset the computer but said I needed to have my actuater replaced. Today, I put in a search for 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan power locks and found this site with 85 complaints. I then searched for Dodge customer service and found this number: 800-423-6343. I called and actually talked with a person and filed a complaint. He told me that there wasn't much info about this problem, so all of you out there with this problem need to call and file a complaint. I am hoping that they are really going to work through this with me as they took the name of the dealer that I have been going to and said they would be contacting them to find out what had been done thus far.

- Carletta W., Steubenville, OH, USA

May 212011

Grand Caravan

We bought our 2005 Caravan when it was only a year old. It has been in the shop more than any other car I've ever owned! It's been a total piece of crap since day 1 and I would love to get rid of it! It was just in the shop 2 months ago to have things replaced on it and now we have to replace the entire a/c unit, the hoses, the brakes (AGAIN!) - which were just replaced 5 months ago - and now my power door locks don't work at all! My passenger side window stopped working about a year ago, the automatic sliding door on the passenger side doesn't work, the hatch will not open and close automatically, the lights on the dash are out only on the driver's side (also the map light on the driver's side)...

This car is just one problem after another and I can promise you I will NEVER, EVER buy ANYTHING made by Dodge again!!! They are the worst vehicles out there and I regret every single day that I ever bought this car and am now stuck with it! I understand that cars need repairs as they get older but this is definitely far above the normal wear and tear that a car normally has! The list above are only the problems we've had since the middle of last year and that's not even the entire list...just the hightlights!

- jenoh, Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 202010

Grand Caravan 3.3L 6v

Same problem,started when automatic lock didn't work,and then all door locks followed..it's annoying to jump to unlock each and every door to get my family or friends in..Will try to remove the IOD fuse and put it back in 5 sec,and follow up..

Thanks for the info.