Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Neon:

Dec 301999

Neon

Engine head gasket has not been changed yet as of June 26, 2000.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jul 052000

Neon

When driving vehicle started missing when driving at 30 mph. Engine check light was illuminated on the dashboard when the head gasket blew. Consumer has contacted the dealer.

- Vidor, TX, USA

Jun 252000

Neon

Severe engine head gasket leak occurred quickly. Contacts with Chrysler denials that a problem exists.

- South Haven, MN, USA

Jun 272000

Neon

Engine was leaking oil. A technician explained that the problem was a blownout head gasket.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jun 192000

Neon

At 11,000 miles I had to have the head gasket replaced. This seems like something that should not have happened with that few miles on the engine. It would seem that the gasket is faulty. I would like to see a recall issued.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 201999

Neon

Head gasket warped diagnosed at dealer when was having another repair, wiring harness short caused smoke to fill car while driving had it towed to dealer.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 052000

Neon

I took my car to a local mechanic shop and they told me that my head gasket was leaking oil and I needed to take it to a Dodge dealership to get it repaired. When I called the dealership, they quoted me $700. I then found out that there is a problem with these and when I called again they said the Plymouth is meeting customers halfway and they would pay for half. By reading all of these other complaints, there is a major defect with the head gaskets onthe Neons and I don't feel that I should have to pay anything.. this should be a recall...................

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jun 122000

Neon

My head gasket was leaking and has recently made my car start to overheat. My speedometer has also not been working since about 2 months after I bought the car and I have taken it in to be repaired approximately 5 times and it is still not working correctly.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Jun 142000

Neon

Leaking head gasket found while being tuned -up at the lube center plus, frederick, md.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jun 192000

Neon

Drove vehicle into an independent repair shop for routine oil service, and was informed that vehicle experienced a blown head gasket. Dealer notified, and informed consumer that vehicle was not covered under a manufacturer's recall.

- Chicargo, IL, USA

May 252000

Neon

Apparently, the head gasket situation is a manufacturer's defect. At 66K miles, I cannot understand why I now have to replace the entire fan unit becuase "it is worn out." The manufacturer's maintenance book has no mention of such replacement at 66K--I think that had I been on a major highway and this would have happened, there could have been unnecessary injuries due to unexpected "cheaply" made parts. -- never again will I buy a Chrysler/Dodge car.

- Bowie, MD, USA

May 122000

Neon

I'm very upset that there have been a lot of complaints about the head gasket problems in the 1995 and 96 Neon's yet they haven't been recalled. I cannot afford to have the head gasket replaced and may have to let the car go. Please contact me regarding this. 419-946-4295.

- Mt. Gilead, OH, USA

Nov 091999

Neon

Head gasket failures began on this vehiche at approximately 20,000 mi and continue.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 102000

Neon

Dodge Neon engine head gaskets are known to leak - manufacturer will not reimburse owners for repair of a known defect. My cost was $1004.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 052000

Neon

Engine head gaskets have blown out three times.

- Ackron, OH, USA

Apr 231998

Head gasket failed.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Apr 122000

Neon

Engine head gasket problem has been reported to your organization by many Neon and stratus owners, what is being done about this?

- Roseville, CA, USA

Aug 261997

Neon

Chronic oil leak due to head gasket failure, chronic clunking in right front either steering or suspension problem which after multiple trips for service remains uncorrected.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 302000

Neon

I have become aware of this "head gasket" problem through Dodge Neon message boards after purchasing the vehicle and having the gasket replaced for $500.55 parts and labor. I hope this problem doesn't occur as often as all the inquiries suggested. Perhaps you should recall the line of vehicles, right the wrongs, or reimburse buyers of your products the expences that occur but shouldn't. please contact me by phone or mail to discuss this problem. Thank you for your time.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Apr 012000

Neon

www.carpoint.com stated there is oil leaking from engine block for this model.

- Jackson, NJ, USA