7.8

Most common solutions:

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (207 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (101 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (11 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This issue has been awful. pretty bad to spend so much money on a vehicle and have something like this happen. the worst part is when im driving i have to constantly look at my cracked dashboard and watch as pieces fall apart. I have no ac in the summer and no heat in the winter and living in the midwest and being winter now, lets just say its a very long and cold ride to work in the morning! Why hasn't there been a recall on this issue it sounds like there has been enough complaints! There's a couple of people i work with that have dodge rams and there dashboards are cracked in the same spot!

- , Rock Falls, IL, USA

Jul 312013

Ram 1500 Sport 5.8L V8

Truck overall has been quite a good unit. The center of the Dashboard has a crack perpendicular to the windshield and it's probably a matter of time before it becomes a major problem. Daimler Chrysler must have used cheap inferior plastic for these dash boards.

- , Atl, FL, USA

May 132009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

The dashboard has become so brittle that it cracked in several places. It is now in four large pieces with lots of spider webbing. I can see in accident where the sharp flying edges may cause injuries to occupants.

- , Aiea, HI, USA

Dec 212011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

All the problems I've had with this truck is unbelievable. I have vent plastic pieces rattling thru the vents when they're on and it just keeps breaking apart. Dodge should be liable to fix this it has to be made of cheap plastic and that's a SHAME as much as these trucks are to pay for and maintain through Dodge and their BPMI subsidiary warranty company THEY should cover this!!!

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 162012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

With such a nice truck, I can't believe they built the dash so cheap. Chrysler should replace them.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 182009

Ram 1500 4.7L

dodge engineers should have had enough sense to know that you can't use a thin piece of plastic like they chose to stay in one piece especially being a one piece panel, this is another one of dodges many problems that should be recalled and repaired.

- , Vicco, KY, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

2003 DODGE RAM 1500 SLT: The dashboard has severe cracks in it starting back in 2010. I bought a carpet dash cover to protect the dash from further damage, but the cracks continued to get worse. In 2011 I could hear pieces falling into the dash and now my heating vents on the driver side will not open properly to allow heat to come through. During the winter time the passenger side vents blow hot air as normal, but the driver side is blowing whatever the outside temp is. I called Dodge to complain in 2011 and they said I would have to pay for a new dash. I paid my mechanic (independent) to fix the heating problem last year 2012. He fixed it and the vents all worked as normal for about 2 months. I told my mechanic it was doing the same thing again, and he told me the dashes continue to fall apart from the inside due to the cheap piece of plastic its made of, and this will continue to be an ongoing cycle. I don't expect the guy to keep fixing it everytime for free so for now, I'm just going to freeze my butt off during the winter. Thanks a lot Dodge, you will never get another cent out of me!

- , Sachse, TX, USA

Jan 072010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

a dashboard should never crack. Ive had numerous trucks and never happen. Defective dash.

inside poutside door is inside the dash on the heater box........it cracked and fell off....rarely used....never touched by human.....defective plastic againt....easy to fix when dashboard is being fixed

- , Elkton, MD, USA

Jun 232010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7lV8

You would think that when dodge built their trucks, they would have pride that they wouldn't cut corners on the parts that would be the first things you would see of bad quality in plain sight.

- , Coffeyville, KS, USA

Sep 192012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Started as one little crack and now it's spiderwebbing. Worried that my three year old son who rides in it could catch a piece of flying plastic. Dodge needs to fix this now!

- , Champaign, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 1500 XLT 3.7L V8

Dodge has been my care company for more than 20 years. I have had my Dodge Ram 1500 4 x4 XLT Laramie since 2003 and it has been a wonderful truck. The dash board is now cracking pretty significantly and needs to be replaced. I am thinking it will be in the $1000.00 range because both pieces are cracking. Warranty has long been gone but I had this happen on my previous Chrysler Town and Country van as well. Frustrating to have to spend money for junk parts.

- , Hardyville, VA, USA

May 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Its a cracked dash, what else is there more to say.

I can say that I haven't used a lot of harsh chemicals that leach out the plasticizers over the life of this vehicle.

I certainly hope there's a recall.

- , Bristow, VA, USA

Sep 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.3L V8

Its a shame to have a great ram truck. That looks good drives like a dream and then you see the dash cracked falling apart and its sad that dodge isn't doing a dam thing to help there dodge family members with this bad problem I take pride in my ram. I dont have that kind of money to buy a new dash dodge needs to step up to the plate admit there is a problem and fix it under warenty

- , West Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

I love my truck! It is my baby and she is well taken care of inside and out. People who see her are amazed she is 10 years old. I noticed last year that I had a crack in the lower back part of my dash near the windshield. It nearly splits my dash in two, now I have 2 more cracks. I was cleaning my windshield and wiping down the dash I noticed more cracks. I went to gently pull up the broken piece of dash to see if it was repairable and the entire vent crumbled like nothing I have ever seen before. My dash is slowly disintegrating. I have always been an avid Dodge fan but now I am having second thoughts. Something so simple can turn your hard earned dollars into wasted money. I had planned on keeping my truck forever but now I am not sure I will be able to. This seems to be an on going thing with these trucks and I feel Dodge should step up and at the very least pay part of the expense of replacing these dashboards with better quality material. I am now afraid that I will continue to have more problems due to the dashboard issue. Otherwise, my Dodge has served me well, runs like a top and no other major issues! Come on Dodge stand by your product!

- , Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jun 112012

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Just bought this 2003 Dodge Ram and it had a whole in the dash along with a crack down the entire dash.....looks like crap!

- , Orwigsburg, PA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 Lariat 5.7L Hemi

Dash cracking is getting worse. Pieces are now coming out

- , Fallbrook, CA, USA

Mar 142012

Ram 1500 Larami 5.7L

I think that Dodge should be fixing this since they used defective material.

- , Geneva, IL, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L V8

I WANT THIS FIXED!! THIS IS MY SECOND DODGE TRUCK WITH A CRACKEFD DASHBOARD AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE

- , Laredo, TX, USA

Aug 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Always covered the dash and used sun reflector yet the upper dash near the windshield is falling apart. Everyone who rides in the truck notices it. Not good PR for Dodge and the quality of their products.

- , Granite Bay, CA, USA

Apr 162013

Ram 1500 XL V8

I NOTICE THE FIRST CRACK OVER THE DRIVER SIDE AIR VENT AND SAID WHAT THE H!!! IS THAT

THEN LIFTED UP MY DASH MAT SAW ALL THESE CRACKS SAID WHAT THE HELL. BUT I DID HAVE A SMALL SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND DEALER SAID I WAS NOT COVER SO I LIKE A FOOL I LET GO CAUSE THEY IT WAS NOT UNDER WARRANTY THIS MANY NOW IS BULL THIS A BIG TIME DEFECT AND DODGE SHOULD BE ASHAMED . HEY I LOVE MY TRUCK. THIS IS SOME THICK HARD HEAVY DUTY TUFF STUFF IT SHOULD NOT BE CRACKING LIKE THIS MY IS GREAT SHAPE INSIDE AND OUT.

IT DOES NOT AND SUN DAMAGE ANY WHERE.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA