2.0

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

Jul 312019

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While the vehicle was parked in the garage, the odor of fuel was present. Upon inspection, the contact noticed a hole in the fuel tank, which caused fuel to leak out. The contact indicated that the hole had been blown out of the tank and was the size of a tennis ball. The vehicle had been parked in the garage for months and had not been driven. The cause of the failure was not determined. The local dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 206,000.

- Luzerne, MI, USA

May 162019

Ram 1500

***note - I entered closest model year that your on-line form would allow.*** front fuel tank strap fell off of 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. I noticed the fuel tank hanging below the frame while the vehicle was parked in my driveway. I do not know when the strap came off. This is a known Dodge Ram 1500 recall for the same manufacturing date range of my vehicle (2010) in the state I live (Indiana) but not on my specific VIN number.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Feb 262019

Ram 1500

When fueling the truck, fuel overflows after the pump shuts off. This causes fuel to spill out onto the truck and ground. The amount is significant and leaves a pool of fuel on the ground. This happens at any gas station, at any pump regardless of time of day or season. The pictures I attached are examples I found on line that illustrate the issue exactly as I experience it.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 082018

Ram 1500

Received a safety recal U04/NHTSA 18V-160. I took it to the local Dodge dealership in rome Georgia & was told they could not do the necessary repairs and would consult with Dodge company engineers and call me. They have not contacted me since it has been 3 months

- Adairsville, GA, USA

Dec 202017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 17V821000 (power train) and 18V160000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact called Dodge of burnsville at 952-894-9000 (located at 12101 hwy 35W South, burnsville, mn 55337) and was informed that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Savage, MN, USA

Jan 222018

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the straps that held the fuel tank were rusted. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the straps needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall. The vehicle was currently with the independent mechanic. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Johnson Creek, WI, USA

Nov 192016

Ram 1500

Gas tank front strap connection to frame rusted out. State inspection fail. May compromise rear brake lines and parking brake.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Jul 032017

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Due to poor frame engineering the front gas tank strap let go causing my gas tank to bounce up and down. The strap itself was pulling on the brake lines and causing strain. Dodge is aware of this problem but has not recalled for it as of yet. I noticed this problem when the vehicle was stationary. I feel this is a huge safety issue as the fuel and braking systems are both involved.....updated 08/02/17 updated 08/07/2017...updated 08/22/17

- Leicester, MA, USA

Jun 012017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The front gas tank strap anchor has rotted away from the frame, and the fuel tank was hanging down in the front of the vehicle. If it made contact with the ground the gas tank will rupture and cause a fire. This is while the vehicle is in motion or stopped. Visited the dealer they said they never heard of this problem, though if you google it, this is a systemic safety issue with the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Something must be done before someone is killed or burned to death....updated 08/02/17

- Sussex, NJ, USA

May 062017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I noticed my front fuel tank strap hanging down and my fuel tank was hanging low. I found that the fuel tank strap had pulled through the frame because it was rotted at the frame.....updated 08/02/17

- W Bridgewater, MA, USA

Apr 102017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving I noticed a whining noise coming from under the vehicle. Upon inspection I saw the strap that holds the front of the gas tank had come loose and gas tank was falling off the truck. One side of the strap was still attached and rubbing against the drive shaft (causing the whine). The side of the strap toward the outside of the vehicle had pulled completely free at the anchor point on the frame. The anchor point was completely rusted and rotted requiring serious metal repair to reattach the strap and allow the vehicle to be driven safely again....updated 08/08/17

- Mounds View, MN, USA

Nov 102016

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel tank retaining strap detached from frame cross-member causing fuel tank to hang unsecured under vehicle causing potential catastrophic consequences! Dodge dealership states frame structure rusted due to bad design, manufacturer failed to design a moisture drain into the boxed frame which caused the strap attachment point to give away. Dealer states non-repairable ** non-driveable! Fiat Chrysler automotive customer assistance refused any assistance in rendering any type of resolution. No concern regarding possibility of having fuel tank falling from vehicle. I mentioned later year production of same model has a new designed cross-member. This substantiates a known failure/design flaw. I am requesting NHTSA to please investigate and issue a safety recall. A <7 year old vehicle should not have a frame structure rust to point of rendering vehicle unsafe and undriveable. Please help! needs addressed before someone suffers injury or worse. Also need help motivating manufacturer to right a wrong. Preferrably not at my (consumers) expense. Thanks daniel kartholl **have several more pictures, could only attach one for some reason** updated 08/11/17 updated 8/25/2017

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 272016

Ram 1500

I was driving my 2009 Ram 1500 home from work and I heard a noise from the back over bumps, and when stopping. I brought it into the shop the next morning and discovered the front of fuel tank was hanging down, this was due to the frame rusting out where the fuel tank strap attached. Also inspected was the frame where the rear strap attached is also almost rusted through. I did a search online and found out there was many owners with the same complaint

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Aug 102016

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The frame rotted out were the strap for the fuel tank attaches to the frame causing the fuel tank to drop. I had to reattach fuel tank with a ratchet strap to drive the truck home. Updated 08/11/17

- Tremont, PA, USA

Jan 112016

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Fuel tank straps have rusted out only rust on whole truck Dodge will not cover. This is a manufactures defect and Dodge should be have to fix the problem at no cost to consumer....updated 08/10/17

- Darlington, MD, USA

Dec 232015

Ram 1500

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 gas tank almost fell out causing almost an explosion of tank. Reason: The tank is held in by two metal straps one side is attach to a frame bolt the other side of the strap is a T shape that slides into a T slot in the frame now what happen is the T section pulled right through the frame causing the tank to drop almost to the road the remainder of the strap was hitting the driveshaft causing sparks if the plastic tank hit the ground it could explode. Dodge rep had mention to me this is a common issue. So I think there should be a recall on this issue...updated 08/07/17

- Hubbardston, MA, USA

Sep 112015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I heard a noise while traveling as if something had broke underneath the vehicle. I pulled over and looked underneath and could see the front fuel tank mounting strap had disconnected and the forward part of the fuel tank was hanging down only being held by the rear fuel tank mounting strap. Upon closer inspection I found that the front fuel tank mounting strap was intact but the its frame attachment point had rotted through...updated 08/07/17 updated 08/21/17

- Franklin, MA, USA

Aug 222015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While my wife was driving our 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 she suddenly noticed a dragging noise so she immediately pulled into a parking lot. When looking under the truck she noticed the fuel tank hanging and the fuel strap hanging (one side broken). She had just come off a 50 mph highway so I am grateful it did not happen while on that roadway. We have read 3 other documented exact problems within a months time of our problem. We had it towed by aaa to a close to the location it was at Dodge dealership in the annapolis, md area. After speaking with the service writer at that dealership we learned that the frame had completely rusted out at that location of the fuel strap causing the fuel tank to fall. After speaking to 2 Dodge dealerships, the 800 customer service rep and the regional Chrysler rep they have concluded after saying they have never heard of this happening before (yet one of the documented problems on this listing is in brandywine, md which is very close to the waldorf Dodge dealership who said they have not heard of this problem before and I can't help but wonder if that individual may have gone there with this same problem too which means that dealership was not truthful with us) that it will not be covered and we will have to pay for the repairs due to the mileage on our truck. I keep this truck clean and care for it well, we have all the receipts for everything that has ever been done for the maintenance to keep up the extended warranty, inspected when it is suppose to even though this could have not been detected with such inspections and this vehicle was undercoated when purchased. Will it take a death or serious injury for this problem to be addressed. Obviously it takes approximately 6 years for this corrosion to cause this dangerous problem....updated 08/10/17, ,,updated 08/21/17

- Shady Side, MD, USA

Jun 092015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My wife was driving the vehicle home with the kids inside when she heard a dragging noise. Once at home she noticed something hanging below the truck. When I arrived at home I checked the truck and found the fuel cell hanging down because the frame had rotted out and the strap pulled away from the frame. I contacted my local Dodge dealer who took pictures and submitted a claim to Dodge who then said the problem was no longer there concern. They explained to me the vehicle was over the 100,000 mile warranty and it was not a safety issue. Mind you that its a plastic fuel cell with a metal strap creating sparks that had it been punctured would have certainly ignited with my family inside the vehicle on a road traveling at 70 miles per hour!!!! this issue has been reviewed by several mechanics and all have been baffled as to how the frame of the truck has rotted away where the straps holding the fuel cell attach to the vehicle....updated 08/08/17 updated 08/21/17

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jun 282015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 35 mph, the front fuel tank strap loosened causing the fuel tank to partially detach from the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road, where the fuel tank was temporarily reconnected to the vehicle with a nylon strap. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the fuel tank frame rail was completely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,200. Updated 09/02/15 the consumer stated as of 8/3/15 Chrysler offered to re-purchase vehicle at msrp. The frame rail rusted where the front fuel tank strap attaches to the frame causing the tank to dislodge. The dealer was unable to repair the vehicle. Updated 12/16/2015...updated 08/08/17 updated 11/02/2017

- Coatesville, PA, USA