Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

Oct 032015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I am working with the fca re-purchase program from the consent order dated July 2015, and the fca program is offering dealer trade value as fair market value of the vehicle. Dealer trade has never been used as a fair market value for anything I have ever seen. When an insurance company pays for the value of your car they give you fair market sales price. They do not and can not use the dealer trade in value as fair market value. They are also offering 10% premium based on the re-purchase price. The consent order clearly states that the 10% premium is to be based on purchase price and it further spells out that purchase price is the price the vehicle was sold the first time to someone for other than resale. Basically the price it was first sold from a dealer. I have worked with the fca since October 2nd 2015 and have been told that I have no recourse with them on how they make their offers. I could not get them to give me a written offer unless I accepted their offer. I am now trying again to get a written offer. When I received a call yesterday from trista at the fca my file had been deleted and they would have to enter me in again. She did tell me that her manager and anyone that could make a decision had looked at the disputes and they would not make any changes. She said that if I did not like that decision I would need to contact the NHTSA or whoever else I thought might be able to help. The fca is offering $22K for my truck with the 10% premium. I have included the fair purchase price run from kbb that I submitted to them back on October 3, 2015. My trucks msrp was approximately $53K. I called the NHTSA yesterday and was advised that I needed to make an official complaint. If I have used the wrong compliant section please direct me to the appropriate one. Thanks, ..updated 03/15/16

- Reedville, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

In the month of September 2015 I received a safety recall notice for my Dodge Ram 1500. This recall gave me a buyback option on October 1st which stated I would receive fair market value + 10%. I completed a kellys blue book appraisal for my vehicle as directed by the fca which gave me a value of 21,500 (trade in value). I contacted fca and assured me that I would receive fair market value which they stated would be highrler than trade in value (21,500) and less than retail. I again accessed kellys blue book which the fca stated they would use at it proved me with a fair market value of 25,500. On October 1st I proceeded to a local Dodge dealership (baxter Dodge) in omaha, Nebraska for the third party appraisal as directed by the fca after contacting several Dodge dealerships which had no information on the recall or buyback option. After waiting several hours for a third party appraiser to arrive at the dealership, I was told be the dealership that I could only do the buyback option if I bought another vehicle from them. After sitting at the dealership until closing hours, I was told they would need another 24 hours to enter my trucks information into the computer to get the appraisal value. After 36 hours had past I recontacted the dealership to due to no one contacting me as I was informed they would. They stated that they had an appraisal and quoted me at 16,000/including the 10% (15,500) under fair market value. I contacted the fca and informed them that I was not receiving what the recall stated I would if I chose the buyback option. They stated there was nothing they could do about it. I am contacting you do to the fca failing to follow the guidelines the NHTSA set for them in reference to the safety recall buyback option. I received documentation promising me fair market value for my vehicle + 10% and the end result was nothing even close to fair.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Oct 022015

Ram 1500

I have contact the local dealer for the Chrysler Fiat buy back on my Dodge Ram 1500 and keep getting the answer of we don't know what to do to buy back vehicles (paraphrasing) I am just trying to get some answers on what I need to do and where to take my truck.

- Chesapeake City, MD, USA

Oct 022015

Ram 1500

Fca is apparently not holding up their end of the consent decree. First I'm told at a dealer that they aren't handling the buybacks, then fca customer service tells me they can "opt out" because they're privately owned. All of them are privately owned! the recall notice, however, says take my truck to the local dealer to get the ball rolling. They're also only offering 10% above "fair market value" when the consent decree specifically says 10% above the original purchase price. There's a huge difference there and as usual, fca cares nothing about the customer only their bottom line.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Sep 282015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I received the letter about the Ram buy back program. They clearly state fair market value but when I go to the web page www.fcarecall.com it clearly is only offering me trade in value for my truck. Feel free to use my VIN and try it for yourself, note that the page does not work properly in chrome and you will need to use ie browser...every operator at fca correctly defines the definition of fair market value but then when we discuss the buy back program the definition changes to trade in value even though the letter clearly states fair market value...very frustrating. Please contact me with any assistance you can provide...updated 03/15/16

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Aug 222015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While my wife was driving our 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 she suddenly noticed a dragging noise so she immediately pulled into a parking lot. When looking under the truck she noticed the fuel tank hanging and the fuel strap hanging (one side broken). She had just come off a 50 mph highway so I am grateful it did not happen while on that roadway. We have read 3 other documented exact problems within a months time of our problem. We had it towed by aaa to a close to the location it was at Dodge dealership in the annapolis, md area. After speaking with the service writer at that dealership we learned that the frame had completely rusted out at that location of the fuel strap causing the fuel tank to fall. After speaking to 2 Dodge dealerships, the 800 customer service rep and the regional Chrysler rep they have concluded after saying they have never heard of this happening before (yet one of the documented problems on this listing is in brandywine, md which is very close to the waldorf Dodge dealership who said they have not heard of this problem before and I can't help but wonder if that individual may have gone there with this same problem too which means that dealership was not truthful with us) that it will not be covered and we will have to pay for the repairs due to the mileage on our truck. I keep this truck clean and care for it well, we have all the receipts for everything that has ever been done for the maintenance to keep up the extended warranty, inspected when it is suppose to even though this could have not been detected with such inspections and this vehicle was undercoated when purchased. Will it take a death or serious injury for this problem to be addressed. Obviously it takes approximately 6 years for this corrosion to cause this dangerous problem....updated 08/10/17, ,,updated 08/21/17

- Shady Side, MD, USA

Aug 262015

Ram 1500

K17 recall closed back in Dec '10. Today the exact same issue is happening (never happened before, but apparently the recall was closed during another service), and since the recall is closed, I'm expected to pay for diagnostics and repairs on something that I have no proof that was actually repaired. I'm guessing when the recall was closed, the issue was never actually fixed.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Aug 092015

Ram 1500

Team: I was replacing the rear shocks when I noticed a weird rust pattern on the cross member near the right frame & catalytic convertor. It looked like orange peel or a rose blooming. I checked the rest of the frame while I was under there. I have done cosmetic rust prevention in the past. Since I'm a diyer & proactive, I grabbed a paint tool to scrape the rust to get to bare metal so I could treat/prime it. Lol not only did the top layer of metal come off, the entire cross member disintegrated into brittle metal chunks which I saved/documented. There's a 4" square section that's gone. Since this is a 400 hp vehicle, I'm sure the frame will tear itself apart eventually even though I baby the truck. E.g. no dents I surmise that water has been trapped up there since I bought the vehicle resulting in frame failure. The metal has no strength. Lol I don't want anybody gettting hurt, so please advise others.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Jul 162015

Ram 1500

Recall supposedly repaired on pinion nut in 2013. While driving in July 2015 rear end started grinding and became scary to drive. Took immediately to the dealership 7/16/15. The repair includes seal drive pinion, bright kit drive pinion, drive puli on bearing and spacer, brg kit differential etc. The dealership never informed us of the recall or buyback. I question the future safety of the vehicle.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 152013

Ram 1500

When going from two wheel drive to 4 wheel drive the steering becomes impossible. When the 4 wheel drive does engage truck pulls heavy to the left. When disengaging the 4 heel drive steering once again becomes impossible.then a loud popping noise can be heard and the steering is still impossible. This happens 75% of the time.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Jun 102014

Ram 1500

We had a rain storm and my sun roof leaked very badly, it went thru the inside into the padding then ran down into the mirror to the G.P.S. into all of the electrical stuff on the dash. This has happened twice. I brought it into Dodge and they pressure tested it and it wouldn`T leak. I did buy the lifetime warranty on the truck and if this continues I believe Dodge should pay for damages done to the interior. (they say they would not cover the roof padding if it needs replaced. (I think it`S a malfunction in the sunroof, so therefore it should be covered) I love my Dodge (and so does everyone else.) but if this happens again I really believe for what I spent on this truck and all of the money I spent on the warranty should be honored) it does have all the extra bell`S and whistles! sincerely sandy black

- South Haven, MI, USA

Jul 022015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Fuel tank can fall free from vehicle due to rust out undercarriage fuel tank strap mount. Vehicle is 5 years old and the frame is rusting out to the point the fuel tank strap cannot be reattached. Was told by the dealer that there is nothing they could do and given a number to contact corporate. Talked to several people at corporate and was told my vehicle had too many miles on it and was out of warranty. Truck is otherwise in good condition, but is a safety hazard because the fuel tank can fall off truck at any given time. Also tie rod broke on me and had to have truck towed to dealer, was told it was due to wear and tear from normal driving, had to pay for replacement of both right and left tie rods and now seeing that there was a recall on them. Will never again buy and Chrysler product, company does not stand behind their product....updated 08/08/17 updated 12/12/2017

- Brandywine, MD, USA

Jul 272015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

V-8 hemi quad cab. Problem was also reported to dealership at earlier (unknown) date while under warranty but problem went away at dealership. With car parked, driver side door-mounted lock will not operate door lock to lock when trying to leave car. These incidents occur intermittently maybe once every 1 to 2 months. When approaching parked car and using the remote to unlock electric door locks, it required 5-10 tries on keyfob. So bad one time, actual key had to be used to unlock driver's door. The consumer stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time completing the brake transmission shift interlock recall repair.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 232015

Ram 1500

I was driving in heavy rush hour traffic at 55 mph when my left front tire rapidly went flat do to the TPMS valve stem failure causing me to take evasive action in order to avoid a multi vehicle collision. This driving on a flat tire caused extensive side wall damage to my new tire with only 6000 miles on it, $233 to replace it low cost to avoid a major accident.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

May 242015

Ram 1500

I was driving my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with my family on rt 280 East doing about 65mph when tire valve/sensor popped off of rim and almost lost control of vehcile. The nut that holds the valve/sensor seperated from each other. There are plenty of complaints on the internet of such a safety issue. Called Dodge to file a complaint several weeks ago and nothing was done ! paid $450. To replace all 4 valve/sensor just so I can feel safe in my truck. When I looked at new valves they had been redesigned with a rubber stem instead of aluminum that corrodes. Obviously they had problems and modified them without contacting vehicle owners! this should be a safety recall!

- Newark, NJ, USA

Mar 032015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

There is a banging noise that seems to be coming from behind the glove box. I researched it online and think it's a heat blend door actuator that went out. I was quoted over $500 for the repair due to the complexity of getting to the issue through the dashbaord. A while back there was a recall on some part of the ac/heating but I cannot remember what is was for. I called their hotline and was advised that recalls are active for 10 years from the manufacture date, so in my case, through 2019. I searched www.safercar.gov and there wasn't any recalls listed unver this VIN. I read that others are having this same issue and I feel this is a defective part that should be recalled as at one point it disabled the blower. The blower operated intermittently which was extremely hazardous during winter.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Oct 222014

Ram 1500

Defrosters stopped working in cold weather makeing truck undrivable

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 072014

Ram 1500

I turned off vehicle and the ac started clicking. Its the switch that controls where the airflow is directed. It will only blow out at the floor, regardless of what it is set on.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 022013

Ram 1500

My truck is subject to Chrysler safety recall H08. In January I received a recall letter but parts have not been made available to fix this problem for six months. Chrysler customer relations will not say that it is safe for me to drive my vehicle. I think Chrysler is stalling. Whatever the government can do to help us consumers would be appreciated.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 222013

Ram 1500

When entering vehicle, side step on drivers' side dislodged from 2 out of three mounting brackets and dropped approximately 8 to 10 inches. Driver feel backwards to the ground because of partial collapse of the side step on the drivers' side. The failure was influenced by the fact the dealer had removed these twice for defect related issues. The mopar part number is 82211496ae32841. The dealer indicated the mounting holes were no longer usable and they would have to be replaced by an aftermarket product

- Greenwood Village, CO, USA