9.1

$3,450

Most common solutions:

1. replace camshift and lifter (16 reports)
  2. replace parts (7 reports)
  3. full set replacement (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Ram 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

Oct 242018

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Vehicle started shaking when driving. Misfire in cylinder 3. I changed the spark plugs and still had misfire issue. Changed the coil pack and still misfiring. From the looks of it, this is pretty common and should be recalled.

- Eric B., Bismarck, ND, US

Oct 012018

Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L

I think there should be a recall on engine over lifters and cam. Just junk and would never buy another Dodge. All my trucks were Ram but since this I will never buy again.

Update from Nov 5, 2018: I think they are junk i have 69000 on my 20110 ram and first the manifold went then next the lifters went and cam shaft there should be a recall

- Eddie S., Dade City, FL, US

Dec 152016

Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L Hemi

Just out of Warranty - unbelievable, same issue as everyone else. (Purchased brand new in 2011, all maintenance. done as scheduled with synthetics.) Hesitation on acceleration, stutter at high speed, obviously misfiring. Took it to a dealer to change plugs, it seemed to drive ok for a day then check engine came on and problem got much worse. Took it back - paid for diagnostics, and received the "great news" that I have

an internal engine problem with Cylinder #3 misfire, and most likely a "dropped valve" and or "seized lifter" (estimate $4,3000) Took it to a local mechanic, estimate was $2,400, started the repair, did the heads, found out that needed a new cam, and when it was all said and done $3,600 out the door.

Kicker is - now September 2018 (2 years later and only maybe 25,000 miles later, I have a check sigh on again, studded again and this time after a check it is a #2 Cyl misfire, but after a further check they say I have "low Compression in #2" This is a disaster!!!! (It is possible the previous mechanic did no replace all parts that he should have, also maybe inferior parts used ??? I don't know, but that shop is now closed, mechanic gone and I have to start again. (should have bought F150)

- Jakub M., Miramar, US

Sep 102018

Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

So one lifter on each side of the motor failed. Roller lifters held together with plastic carriages. Yes plastic inside a motor. So one carriage broke in half so the lifter moved so it didn't get oiled. Other lifter turned 90 degrees so the roller wheel scraped up and down the cam lobe instead of rolling over it. If the connection was metal bar like the old Chevy ones never would have failed. And I hate saying that because I'm a Mopar guy. Oh did I mention plastic parts to hold lifters in place. Ridiculous especially since they cost approx $100 each.

- John L., Middle Island, US

Feb 012016

Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L

The Hydraulic Roller Lifter we an EXISTING issue that Chrysler was well aware of, but yet did nothing to correct it. Countless 2011 5.7 Hemi's were built using "DEFECTIVE HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS'.....FCA US LLC is fully aware of the situation, but openly refuses to rectify the issue or help any customers who are at the mercy of this defective engine issue!

- jimbo_kirko, Norman, US

Aug 292018

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L Hemi V8

If you are having poor acceleration/bogging when accelerating and spark plugs are brand new, chances are your Camshaft & Lifters need to be replaced......something definitely not cheap ($6460 for me). Even with an immaculate maintenance upkeep this truck still failed me and apparently this is a VERY common problem with this truck that Fiat Chrysler refuses to recall!

- Mick S., Pearland, TX, US

Aug 172018

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Headed to Mississippi and after filling up for gas in Arkansas, I pressed on the gas pedal to enter the Interstate and the truck sputtered and the check engine light stated to flash. After getting on the Interstate and getting in a nice cruising speed the truck ran fine; however, the check engine light continued to stay on. Spouse was with me so I had her do a search for local dealerships along the way so we could stop in and have in checked out.

A dealership in Mississippi gave us the go ahead to come by and said they could do a check in their shop. We arrived they did a check and in about 20 minutes the service tech informed us that they thought is was an engine issue and they needed to break it down. Used my daughters vehicle to make our way back home. A week had gone by and I had not heard from the service department so I called and they informed me that they would not break it down until they had lifters in stock. Informed me they were on back order and they had another vehicle in the shop with same issue and were waiting on lifters.

I called my local dealership and the Parts Manager informed me that there was a backlog of 10,000 and time frame was 3-6 months. Unacceptable. I started a case with FCA and went through two case managers. Second case manager said she was going to close my case for she had spoke with dealership and they had not broken my vehicle down yet. I asked her did they inform you that they thought it was a lifter issue and they did not want to break my vehicle down until they had the lifters in stock? She informed me that that was not discussed. On 9/5/2018 the Case Manager calls to inform me that the time frame of 3-6 months is correct and the number on back order was 10,000-12,000.

How does one mismanage to cause such a problem? How many vehicles like mine are needed for transportation yet set idle waiting on parts for repair? FCA needs to step up to the plate and make this right for owners of their products. If you use an aftermarket part for repair and then FCA decides they are going to do something for the owners then you are left out because you used an aftermarket part to get your vehicle back on the road so you could make a living to pay for the repair. I know Michael Manley is new to his position as CEO; however, he was and still is the individual in charge and responsible for RAM. Mr. Manley what will FCA do for RAM truck owners?

Update from Sep 21, 2018: I was informed by the local Parts Manager for my local dealership that the back order number is 10,000 - 12,000 with a time frame of 3 - 6 months. A representative from FCA Mopar contacted to inform me that 571 had been shipped; however, additional vehicles are now in need thus the number has not changed nor the time frame.

- Patrick S., Pittsburg, TX, US

Jul 232018

Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi

lifter and cam issue lifter and cam issue lifter and cam issue

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn- Cylinder 3 misfire - exhaust valve lifter seized up and ate a groove in the camshaft. Upon inspection of the other lifters, cylinder 3 intake lifter was "clicky" and about to seize up, and both lifters on cylinder 5 were both "clicky" (hard to turn- the bearings were almost completely shot).

Dealership charged me $3,800 to fix what they said was "a common problem in the 2011 5.7L Hemis" Their words, not mine. I have taken immaculate care of this truck, always Mobil 1 full synthetic oil every 4,000 miles on the dot, replace ANYTHING and EVERYTHING as soon as it is scheduled or needed, and have never had as many problems with any other truck than I have had with this one (My first FCA/Mopar/Dodge/Ram).

I have had to replace the fuel pump (I know this could be considered maintenance, so I'm not complaining about that but it is one straw on this camel's back), the relays in the TIPM ( I don't see how this could be considered maintenance.), the starter (again, I could consider this maintenance.), the alternator twice, multiple coil packs, I also had to extract a total of 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts out of the heads.(Top and bottom bolts on cylinders 7 and 8- I believe this is another poor design on the Hemis that shouldn't have happened.)

This truck has left a very sour taste in my mouth for FCA/Dodge/Mopar/Ram, and I just bought my wife a new Durango last year. After my truck gets out of the shop next week, I have a feeling I am going to sell both of them to get some other manufacturer's vehicles even though I will lose the $4,000 I am spending to get it fixed.

My truck sure is nice, but I about can't afford to keep it running if these problems keep coming up. At least it's a pretty piece of crap, that's about the only thing going for it.

- Dayne R., Springdale, US

Jul 232018

Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi

lifter and cam issue lifter and cam issue lifter and cam issue

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn- cylinder 3 misfire. Another lifter roller seized up and ate a groove in the cam (exhaust lifter), upon inspection of other lifters, cylinder 3 intake lifter roller was almost locked up and 2 other ones on the other side were about to give out too. Dealership charged me $3,800 to fix what they said was a "common problem in the 2011 5.7L Hemis" (Their words, not mine.)

- Dayne R., Springdale, US

May 242018

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

This WAS my son's truck, he was coming home from a movie and called me complaining that the truck had a severely loud squeal coming from the engine, It was late at nite and i thought it was a pulley or adjuster or bad belt, so I told my him will pull the serpentine belt in the morning and see if it stops. NOPE still squeaking like TWO LITTLE PIG. Called the dealer that morning to see if I could get it in, they said yes bring it in. They called me back later that afternoon and said I had a some collapsed lifters that grounded into the camshaft, also the heads where warped, WTF!!!!!!!!!!

So they machined the heads, put in new valves, seats, guides and cam. After its some what put back together, I'm informed that the lifters are now on back order and the dealer has NO CLUE!!! when they will get them to finish my motor. The service writer said that DODGE has know about the lifter issue with this motor. That was over 6 wks ago.

This is a complete SHITT show for a company like dodge to do this to its customers!!! Thank GOD we bought the extended warranty on this POS!! to cover all the shitt that's broke on this truck. Owned it less then 2 yrs with 80k miles on it, bought it with 58k miles on it and have had to replaced the transmission, front driveline and now this. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A DODGE. Wound up selling my DURAMAX to my son so he had a reliable truck to use for work, as soon as this POS!!! is fixed its getting kicked down the road for a 15 or 16 CHEVY DURAMAX THAT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!

- Kent S., Idaho Falls, ID, US

Apr 012018

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L V8 Hemi

CYL 2 MISFIRE CODE, CYL 2 LOW IONIZATION CODE. JOLTED AT LOW RPM. LOW COMPRESSION CYL 2. SIEZED CAM LIFTER, ATE INTO CAM, NEED REPLACEMENT OF BOTH PARTS. HOPEFULLY NO DAMAGE TO HEAD...

- Brad C., Salisbury, MD, US

Nov 112017

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L V6

Last straw! I'm not paying another dime to fix anything else.

- Stephanie F., Hazel Green, AL, US

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 5.7L

I bought truck new from day one it had lifter noise .My son asked if it was a diesel? He is not a mechanic. After driving for awhile did not get any better. Took to dealer said they replaced rocker arms.This did not take care of noise took back they said they replaced lifters. still noisy said was normal. I only have about 30000 miles on this truck always had it serviced. i am worried something bad is about to happen! warranty is gone can I still get this fixed since problem was not fixed while under warranty

- Thomas P., Rixford, US

Jan 052018

Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

I'm really disappointed in the 2011 Dodge Ram. 130,000 miles and having issues with lifter and cam. Check engine light is consistently blinking when under harder acceleration then goes out. Shows code P0302 misfire cylinder 2. I've performed all maintenance at the recommended intervals. The quality of parts are very poor in my opinion. Dodge should take more pride in their quality of parts and stand behind their parts /engine. The consumer should not have to pay thousands of dollars in engine repair. This is ridiculous and Dodge should have a recall on the so called Great Hemi Motor. I know guys running much older vehicles with 300k and 400k miles and no motor work. Hopefully Dodge will step up to the plate and resolve these known issues.

- Markg37xs .., Slatington, PA, US

Dec 142017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

Bought the truck from an auction and when driving it home the truck starts to shake real bad and engine light started flashing. I thought it was a fuel issue since it was almost out of gas. Changed the gas but truck still doing the same thing and engine light still flashing. scanned the truck and found out that cylinder #3 misfire. changed ignition coil and new spark plugs but still same issue. Read online that a huge number of people with the 5.7L hemi having the same issue with the engine due to bad mds lifters sticking causing the cam to go out as well. Took it to dodge and did a diagnostic test and they came back with a $3000 repair list stating this same thing. They told me that I missed the warranty deadline by 4 month. Called Chrysler/dodge and talked to a manager to see if they will claim this issue or help me with this repair cost but they said no and gave me punch of bullshit reasons. They need to recall this issue, too many customers forced to spend their hard earned money on a sh*tty engine like this.

- dodgecustomer, Nashville, US

Jan 052018

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

While accelerating onto the freeway just this week, the engine light came on, the truck exhibited an unusual shudder and an obvious loss of power as well as greatly decreased mileage. After some research online, I did some diagnosing and discovered the #3 misfire code related to the CEL. Upon more investigation, the #3 intake rocker is moving about 1/3 of what it should be. Having not yet torn the engine down, I can not provide pictures of what will be a ground cam lobe and likely seized or destroyed lifter. I wish I had known of this issue sooner, but the problem would simply have been someone else's. I would prefer that Dodge handles the known issue.

- John S., Ham Lake, US

Jan 012018

Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

ram1500liftercam-metoo!

Driving down the highway and the truck started to shudder at high RPM's. Had a certified tech diagnose said cylinder #5 intake valve is not opening all the way. Needs new lifters and cam with only 80k miles. No help offered from the Dodge/Ram Dealer! 3k quote for repairs!

- atlm1ke, Marietta, US

Nov 272017

Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 5.7lhemi

click to see larger images

lifter and cam issue lifter and cam issue

Truck coded misfire CYL5 changed plugs no change moved coil no good. Problem getting worse. In the morning drove to work really bad shutter misfire. Called my mechanic within the hour he called said lift on 5 not opening valve. Did research and found the laundry list of people who had the same exact problem. Talked with Ram people online they wanted me to take it in to the dealer. I said you pay for the tow and diagnosis and we have a deal. They wouldn't. My mechanic has far more knowledge then them. So I called and complained, yelled, screamed ranted and they would do nothing without the dealership diagnosis and even then the dealers told me it's not covered due to time. I urge all of you other people to file reports with NHTSA that the only way we are gonna make them pay .

Update from Dec 4, 2017: Anyone who has filed a complaint with ram please let me know your case # im fighting this one all the way

Update from Dec 5, 2017: some pictures of the repair

- jmccombs, Windsor, US

Oct 102017

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Engine light came on and wouldn't go off. Truck began skipping/misfiring. Got worse very fast to the point that it began shaking violently and became unable to be driven. Took to mechanic who advised they had similar issues with other 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Trucks. Took to two dealerships who didn't want to get involved. Depreciated value of truck to around 1/3 because of problem. Had no choice but to pay and have it fixed. Truck was under warranty until 100,000 miles and ran fine. Other Dodge trucks, not of this year, have more than twice the mileage and have not had any work performed. Seems to be an issue with 2011 Dodge with 5.7 Hemi. This should be covered by Dodge since it was barely out of warranty. Contacted them and was told to hold onto to all receipts in case they decide to issue a recall. Replaced spark plugs, fuel injector and coil before cam and lifter issues were diagnosed on the #8 cylinder. All total with repairs $2,700. I have owned Dodge trucks before and have never had any problems.

- Adrian C., Wetumpka, US

Aug 102017

Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 5.7L

It started on a trip a few hrs out when I passed someone, truck shook like crazy and engine light came on. I pulled over turned it off then back on. It seemed ok but engine light was still on. I continued till I got to the next town, had it diagnosed of misfire on cylinder 3. Tried new spark plugs on cylinder 3 and coil pack no change. It only happened at higher rpms. When I got home my mechanic was working on a 2012 with the exact same problem, it turned out to be lifters and cam. I will never buy a Chrysler product ever again - a waste of hard earned money. They should do a recall on them!

Update from Oct 11, 2017: Truck is in the shop turns out camshaft is being replaced and lifters. It was a seized lifter on cylinder 3 chewing up the cam. Dealer wants 1200 plus tax just for lifters another 89.98 a head gasket bolt set 150 and 150 for camshaft. Over 14hrs in labour. Shame on Dodge for not doing a recall! Over 2000 in parts labour another 150x14hrs It will be over a 4000 job just unbelievable.

- aleonard, Saskatoon, SK, Canada