3.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 3500:

Dec 052013

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V529000 (steering) and was unable to have the vehicle repaired because the required parts for the repair were not available by the authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the issue but did not provide a date for when the parts would become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 4/4/14

- Granbury, TX, USA

May 112012

Ram 3500 6-cyl Diesel

The Dodge 3500 was East bound in interstate 40 West of cookville, tn. The Dodge was pulling an enclosed car trailer loaded with a 1955 Chevy show car. The Dodge had just passed an 18 wheeled vehicle and was in the left lane. When the pavement changed, a slight bump, the front tires of the Dodge began to bounce out of control, aka "the death wobble". operator was not able to gain control of the Dodge and it veered into the right lane and over passing the shoulder halfway into the grass. The Dodge and trailer would have gone into a ravine off the highway had the trailer brakes not locked up and brought the vehicle to a stop. Had this happened next to the 18 wheeler, there would have been a serious accident. Operator had no control over the steering until after the Dodge came to a complete stop.

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Oct 242011

Ram 3500

First occurrence was a bump entering an overpass. The truck went into a violent shaking and bouncing and went off the road on right shoulder. I had to have it nearly stopped for the undamped shaking to stop. On Nov 7, 2011 I was driving on a perfectly smooth piece of highway at 65-70 mph when the truck "exploded" into a violent bouncing and shaking. The truck was bouncing uncontrollably until I finally locked the brakes and skidded off the shoulder and into a bank on the side of the road. If any vehicles had be in the adjacent lane, I would not have been able to avoid hitting them.

- Darlington, PA, USA

Sep 012011

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

We were on the freeway going approximately 75 mph and hit a pothole in the road and the truck began to shake violently. My husband was able to gain control of the vehicle. I thought we were going to wreck. The tie rod had previously been replaced about a month before this initial incident. This is very dangerous because you are traveling at a high rate of speed. We then replaced the stabilizer shock and thought we fixed the problem only to have it do it again. We then went to big O tires and talked to them about replacing the shocks. We took the manager out to show him what it does and once again, when we got up to about 75 mph it hit a hole in the road and began to shake violently, almost causing us to go off the road. This is very dangerous!!! the manager from big O wasn't familiar with the problem but did some research and found an article about the "death wobble" that has been occurring in 2500 and 3500 Dodge trucks between 2006 - 2010. The article said the problem is under investigation. In the mean time, how many people are going to crash and/or be killed because the problem is "being investigated"?? we paid a good price for our truck and want to be able to use it as it was intended. At this point we are not able to because we don't trust it. We called our local Dodge dealer, dale white motors, and voiced our concerns and they seemed like they weren't aware of the problem.

- Carlin, NV, USA

Sep 082011

Ram 3500 4WD 8-cyl

After backing out of my garage, at an approx. Speed of 1 mph, I turned the wheels to the left to run an errand, and the drivers side tie rod end broke. The drag link dropped and the wheel cocked to the full left. At this point I don't know if it caused any other damage. I spoke with the nearest dealer and was told that there are no recalls on this vehicle at this time. Unfortunately I need this vehicle and had to order a new tie rod end at a cost of $116. Bearing any other damage, I will also have to get an alignment, at an unknown cost at this time. Thank god that I had not been traveling at a higher rate of speed when this part decided to fail, because I am sure the outcome would not have been good.

- Mcadoo, PA, USA