Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Edge:

Sep 062019

Edge

I have been taking my car for at least the past 3 years to have the brakes looked at. The pedal goes too far to the floor. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships to have the brakes looked at, only to be told there is no problem. I just had new front brakes and rotors put on August 2019. My son was driving the car to work this morning and had an accident going through a toll booth. He said when he pressed on the brakes the car just would not stop at a good rate, and the pedal was spongie. There needs to be a recall on the brake system for 2009 Ford Edges. I am not the only one with this complaint. Thank god nobody was injured, but what is it going to take to get this taken care of.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 062019

Edge

I have a 2009 Ford Edge sel with 113,300 miles. I had been experiencing brake issues with squeaking and having to push the brake pedal down all the way with fear that the car would not stop. There were no warning signs or warning lights and just came out of the blue. It would happen whether I was just driving slow or faster on any type of road or weather condition. I saw Ford put an extra warranty on Edges from 2010-2013 regarding the same issue via 13N02. I have read a lot of complaints from years previous and after this extended warranty. I think this should be looked into as I have a young son who I drive to school a lot and since there was no warning about brake failure IżM just thankful nothing bad happened. I took it to a mechanic and was told it was the master cylinder and a bad power brake booster. Thank you.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jan 282019

Edge

I applied the brakes at a stop light and it makes a hissing squealing notice.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 262018

Edge

The brake booster which is a known problem on every Ford Edge from 2007 - 2013 started making a hiss or loud squeaking noise when pressure was applied to the brakes. For this 6 year Ford has installed the exact same manufacturers part, but Ford has only recalled some of these years despite the same issues occurring with every model year. After a while the noise intensified and then the brakes failed!!! sometimes the brakes would not engage until the pedal was mashed to the floor, sometimes they engaged as soon as the pedal was pressed. This creates a very dangerous environment. I own 3 different model Ford vehicles, but this could be the last Ford I purchase. I took the Edge into a brake specialist and was told about this being a well known issue on the Ford Edge, but that I purchased the "wrong" year 2009 and this is the only model year not covered under the NHTSA recall. They have quoted me $925 to make the repairs. While I will do this repair since I will not put my family at risk we are very disappointed by Ford's corporate negligence on this issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 012018

Edge

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, the brake pedal was applied, but was stiff and failed to respond. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was determined that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The contact called mooresville Ford Mercury (139-151 East plaza dr, mooresville, nc 28115, (877) 449-4390) and was informed to schedule a service appointment. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Sep 172018

Edge

When driver depresses brake pedal it makes a hissing sound and driver has to use excessive force to stop the vehicle.

- Jay, OK, USA

Sep 152018

Edge

Need a brake boost replacement. Car making hissing sound and hard to stop. Brakes seem like they will fail and are dangerously hard to stop.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA

Sep 012018

Edge

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. When the brake pedal was applied, an abnormal noise was heard. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal each time the failure occurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed by a dealer. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer indicated that the vehicle was excluded from extended warranty coverage (13N02) for the brake booster, although the vehicle exhibited the same failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Jun 272018

Edge

I have search the internet and there is a large reports of a power booster failure in certain years of this Ford model. I searched my VIN # and it was not included in the recall even though I read from others that had the same issue that I'm having now. The brake peddle at times is tough to press, like no play in it while I am trying to stop it is difficult. I have to pump the peddle to get it to work. This is very dangerous and I have read many others having the same experience.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 202017

Booster on car brakes no good, bought from car dealership less then 3 years ago

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 012017

Edge

When driving my 2009 Ford Edge with under 46,000 miles, the brake pedal has a spongy feel and it becomes quite difficult to use the brake at times. It also makes a hissy or squealing noise. At times is very, very hard to press the brake down to stop the car. My husband took the vehicle to an independent auto repairman. He said the brake booster was bad. It had failed. My husband talked with an independent auto repair person. He said I had a bad brake booster. My husband called the Ford dealer and after running the VIN number, he was told that my car did not qualify for a recall. The brake booster has failed. The car has under 46,000 miles on it. I have it scheduled to be repaired at my own expense as this is a dangerous driving situation. Why did Ford have an extended warranty coverage for the 2007-2008 and 2010-2015 Edge models but omitted the 2009 models?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 092017

Edge

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the brake booster malfunctioned without warning. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and the parking brake had to be engaged to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the brake booster was replaced. Planet Ford in spring, Texas was contacted and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13N02000 (service brakes). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000. The VIN was not available.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 312017

Edge

While pressing brake pedal is making hissing noise and car becomes hard to stop.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 262017

Edge

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed; however, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard before stopping the vehicle. A local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic who stated that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 113,075.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jul 012017

Edge

Break boosters are not working, can not stop. Called Ford said my car isn't covered just the Ford F150. I have to slam down on my breaks to slow the car down then it eventually comes to a stop. It is not safe to drive.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jul 012017

Edge

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. While operating the vehicle, the brakes would suddenly malfunction. While attempting to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal would extend to the floorboard and the stopping distance was increased. The contact also heard a hissing noise coming from the front brake area. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake booster was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 87,272.

- Swanzey, NH, USA

Jul 032017

Edge

While approaching a stop light on a city street, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and vehicle made a high pitched whistling noise. Almost hit the vehicle stopped in front of me.

- Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Jun 122017

Edge

While driving in downtown detroit I was approaching a red light as I applied pressure to the brake pedal it was rock hard. Also, when applying the brake there is hissing sound. It was explained to me that the problem is the brake booster. Which the dealership will not cover. The estimate given by the dealership for the cost of the repair is $550.

- Bellleville, MI, USA

Jun 112017

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the brakes malfunctioned without warning. The contact stated that the brake pedal became stiff and nearly impossible to depress. The contact engaged the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. Lenoir city Ford of lenoir city, Tennessee was contacted about the failure and determined that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired, but the contact received a loaner vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to call NHTSA and file a complaint due to the fact that there was no recall on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 83,000. Updated 08/22/17

- Loudon, TN, USA

Apr 202017

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the brake booster failed, which prevented the power braking functionality. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. When the contact questioned why the vehicle was not included in customer satisfaction campaign number: 13N02, he was not given an answer. The contact was informed that nothing could be done and to file a complaint with NHTSA. The failure mileage was approximately 89,529...updated 06/27/17

- Cincinnati, OH, USA