7.9

$360

Most common solutions:

2. installed new door latch (11 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (10 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (6 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (6 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Feb 092016

Edge Limited 3.6L

there should be a recall on this, as I was looking for a solutions it appears that all the Ford Edge vehicles are having this problem.

- finfan98, Bismarck, US

Mar 012017

• CVT transmission

The front drivers door is always showing as ajar. The only way I can get it to turn off, is if I the car is rolling and I slam it. Or I slam it shut 10+ times, sometimes that will work too. But it usually only turns off if I slam it while moving.

- Aleigh Z., Roy, US

Aug 012015

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

The back driver side door ajar light is always on. The door also is a little harder than normal to close, it sticks. I took it to the Ford dealership[, they said they would not charge to look at it. They cleaned the latch and sprayed WD-40 on it and charged me $175. The problem persisted, when I called they quoted me $465 to replace a sensor. I have yet to have it fixed.

- Rachel B., Panama City, US

Feb 222016

Edge Limited V8

Dashboard kept saying "turning off to save system".... nobody had any idea what this meant. Then the car battery died! We called AAA service for a replacement but told "we don't carry a part for your model car". Drove to dealership, bought new battery, installed, drove back to dealership to get my CORE refund and have them do a voltage check. FINE.

Asked "why a 70 month battery would fail at 46 months"? Told it was because I travel short trips, locally, so alternator doesn't have a chance to recharge my battery. OH, and ask them to grease your door locks when you come in for an oil change.

- Andrea T., Burlington, MA, US

Mar 142017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

door latch starting acting up in the fall of 2016. driver side door was closed and it would say door ajar. It would also say shift to park when vehicle was in park.

Brought in to Don Hinds Ford. they knew it was a known issue and advised to have a new one installed. I believe it ran close to $400 bucks after I had to have my battery replaced since the sensor caused the lights to be on..

As of the week it has started acting up again.

- Steve N., Fishers, IN, US

Feb 202017

Edge

The door latch won't close. It says the door is ajar and it happens each time the door is open. From what I'm seeing online, this has been an ongoing issue though Ford didn't issue the recall for the Edge's door latch they should.

- Karen S., Dallas, US

Feb 252017

Edge SEL

DOOR AJAR LIGHT WONT GO OUT AFTER MULTIPLE SLAMMING OF THE DRIVER DOOR. WHEN IT DID FINALLY GO OFF I HEARD A CLICK AND IT WENT BACK ON. DOOR DOESN'T LOCK WHEN IN MOTION WITH THE LIGHT ON. WORRIED THE LATCH IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

- Donna B., Hampton, NH, US

Feb 212017

Edge ES 3.2L

This problem is a headache and short of cutting wires I don't know how to solve my problem. I have tried a couple of Youtube hacks with no luck. I have no intention of paying $400-$500 on this repair.

- Daryl M., Muscle Shoals, AL, US

Dec 132016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

The door ajar light stays on for the left rear door. The interior lights stay on while driving and once parked which drains the battery. I have tried the WD-40 method to stop it. That lasts for about a day.

- Sheila B., London, KY, USA

Aug 032015

Edge SE V6

This is the second time my driver door ajar sensor has malfunctioned. I was provided a bumper-to-bumper warranty when I purchased the vehicle, and thankfully the first sensor issue occurred within 100 miles of that expiring. It was repaired by my dealer for free, but would have cost me around $500. That lasted about a year and a half, and lo and behold -- annoying f*cking sensor started going off again. Sometimes I can open and close it three times or so before it goes away, and sometimes I try 20 times and it still says the door is open. Oftentimes I just say f*ck it and drive while it's still "open" (even though it is CLEARLY not), and have to deal with the annoying AF beeping every time I back up and/or slow down.

- Emily J., Ames, US

Dec 012016

Edge Limited 2.0L Eco Boost

This problem is becoming a real issue, so I thought I would ad my complaint to the nearly 16000 before me with the same problem. What does it take to get a recall? I know the NTSB is now looking at it but it seems every time you ad technology to something that's just something else that can and will go wrong. I understand that Ford has had recalls for the same issue on other cars but not the Edge. It's nearly made me late several times trying to get the door to register closed because if you don't the doors won't lock and the interior lights stay on. Can you say DEAD BATTERY?! This is the second major problem to occur over the past two years and will defiantly influence my car buying decisions in the future! This car is becoming a very expensive boat anchor.

- brybran, Goshen, IN, USA

Dec 022016

Edge SEL

I had this problem with my drivers side door and it was fixed and replaced under warranty after I told them of all the complaints and research I had done. They called their maintenance and got approval to fix under warranty. Now I have the same problem with my rear left door however now I am no longer under warranty. I feel this is happening too much with this car. I see lots and lots of complaints of this problem. I called Ford about the second door doing this and they said we can schedule a repair at your cost and of course I said no thanks if I wreck again with this problem I will no longer have this problem I guess I just hope I survive last time there wasn't another car around so just ran off the road some but this is a MAJOR problem when driving down the road and this sensor goes out and the lights come on because the door is supposedly open. Or you are stranded because your battery goes dead because the sensor is saying door is open and lights want go out and now i have a shot battery too.

- Tracy R., Shelby, NC, USA

Dec 022016

Edge

Door ajar light will not turn off. Ford told me it would cost 450.00 dollars to fix. I have an extended warranty but it was not covered. Then they hit me with a 110 dollar diagnostic fee.

The dealership told me the door latch needed to be replaced

- Steven B., Miami, FL, USA

May 152015

Edge SE 3.2L V6

The dome light/door latch/door sensor or whatever the diagnosis is, is obviously a common problem with the Ford Edge. I had a Ford mechanic look at it and a private mechanic as well. Ford, of course, wanted to replace the whole latching system, which has no obvious crack or fracture. The private mechanic sprayed grease remover and said to slam repetitively when the light stays on, that actually worked but becomes messy.

This is dangerous at night when backing out because dome lights wont go off and doors wont lock. No matter how many fuses we pulled looking for a dome light fuse, we never found it. What works occasionally is to close the door, lock the doors, then start the car. This works 50% of the time. Slamming, does not work unless its accompanied by grease remover or brake cleaner.

This is my first Ford after years of Chevys and although I love the handling and gas mileage, I hate all the glitches. This is just one of several glitches and warnings lights before 40,000 miles.

- contrerasa, Burbank, WA, USA

Apr 012015

Edge SE AWD 3.5L

The door ajar light doesn't go off when doors are closed, or while driving it will go on all by itself turning on the interior lights and unlocking the doors. At night it has blinded me while driving, and I have had children in the car when the doors unlock and is alarming.

- Brian W., Dover, NH, USA

Aug 102016

Edge SEL 3.5L

The car was only 4 years old and when the door is obviously closed the warning that it was ajar still came on and interior lights wouldn't go out. I had it fixed for almost $300. Two close friends with a 2011 and a 2013 Edge had similar problems.

- Steven R., Mainstay, MI, USA

Apr 152016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Door ajar light and beeping will not turn off. When you try to lock the doors the internal lights will stay on - either the dash, navigation screen and/or the dome lights which drains the battery. Sometimes the doors won't lock at all - not very good for security... We've only owned the car for one year but regret buying it due to this very, very annoying issue..

- slaughterky, Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012016

Edge ECOboost 2.0L

ford needs to recall and fix door ajar problem.they try to make money by putting cheap parts.

- Suvas P., Smyrna, GA, US

Jul 012015

Edge Limited V6

Driver door sensor light would stay on even with the door closed. It drained my battery and I had to replace it. It was a very annoying problem. Took it to be fixed. It cost me $153.00. A year later I have the same problem! Not sure if they replaced something or just cleaned the sensor. It doesn't list it on my invoice. Now I read about a recall on door latches but it doesn't list the Ford Edge.

- Sherie B., Yucaipa, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Edge Limited V6

I had this problem before. In July of 2015 I took it in to the Ford Dealer and supposedly had it fixed. It cost me $153. I recently started having this problem again. I have an appointment on the 20th to fix it again.

- Sherie B., Yucaipa, CA, USA