7.9

Most common solutions:

2. installed new door latch (10 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (9 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (6 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (4 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Apr 012015

Edge SE AWD 3.5L

The door ajar light doesn't go off when doors are closed, or while driving it will go on all by itself turning on the interior lights and unlocking the doors. At night it has blinded me while driving, and I have had children in the car when the doors unlock and is alarming.

- , Dover, NH, USA

Aug 102016

Edge SEL 3.5L

The car was only 4 years old and when the door is obviously closed the warning that it was ajar still came on and interior lights wouldn't go out. I had it fixed for almost $300. Two close friends with a 2011 and a 2013 Edge had similar problems.

- , Mainstay, MI, USA

Apr 152016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Door ajar light and beeping will not turn off. When you try to lock the doors the internal lights will stay on - either the dash, navigation screen and/or the dome lights which drains the battery. Sometimes the doors won't lock at all - not very good for security... We've only owned the car for one year but regret buying it due to this very, very annoying issue..

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012016

Edge ECOboost 2.0L

ford needs to recall and fix door ajar problem.they try to make money by putting cheap parts.

- , Smyrna, GA, US

Jul 012015

Edge Limited V6

Driver door sensor light would stay on even with the door closed. It drained my battery and I had to replace it. It was a very annoying problem. Took it to be fixed. It cost me $153.00. A year later I have the same problem! Not sure if they replaced something or just cleaned the sensor. It doesn't list it on my invoice. Now I read about a recall on door latches but it doesn't list the Ford Edge.

- , Yucaipa, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Edge Limited V6

I had this problem before. In July of 2015 I took it in to the Ford Dealer and supposedly had it fixed. It cost me $153. I recently started having this problem again. I have an appointment on the 20th to fix it again.

- , Yucaipa, CA, USA

Jul 262016

Edge SEL 2.0L

In the past month we've had this car in twice for emission device issues costing several hundred dollars. Now the "door ajar" light comes on on the dash and the interior light come on and won't go off. We are told that this is another $300-400 repair....NO.

Ford needs to step up their recalls! Many many complaints regarding this problem....even YouTube videos showing how to break the part off. How ignorant is it that there was a recall but only in certain states.....REALLY? We have been Ford owners since we began driving, as has our family but it's over.....they could care less about the problems people deal with....and the expense. Has anyone contacted their news channel to get Ford to address this issue and the seriously selective recall?

FYI .....a couple of years ago we experienced the gas line problem before a recall was issued. It was serious. And, I am seeing an "axle assembly" that we NEVER received information about. Should they begin accepting responsibility for their issues and notify owners. This is unacceptable.

Update from May 12, 2017: Now it's the passenger door that is causing "door ajar" light. This is totally disgusting that there has been recall for this issue BUT only on other models. That is not acceptable and we've read all about their issues. Will contact consumer protection and whoever else needs to know about this refusal to make anything right. Please note that we have another complaint posted about the failed ecoboost. Will never buy another Ford and will discourage others from doing so.

Update from Jun 3, 2017: Once again we paid for something that should be covered. It is not legal to drive with interior lights on,(Illinois) it's a safety hazard, (hard to see while driving and becoming stranded due to dead battery) has been a recall on other models but not ours. How can that happen....it's just wrong to choose certain models for recall.

- , Huntley, IL, USA

Dec 052013

Edge Limited v6

I HAVE HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM SINCE I BOUGHT THIS PIECE OF JUNK. THIS WILL BE THE 3RD OR 4TH TIME IT'S BEEN AT LIBERTY FORD, LAST YEAR THEY KEPT IT A WHOLE WEEK. IF THEY ARE THAT STUPID THEY CAN'T FIX THE PROBLEM ,THEY SHOULD KEEP THIS PIECE OF JUNK.

LIGHT COMES ON TELLING YOU DRIVER DOOR IS OPEN, INTERIOR LIGHTS WON'T GO OFF, COME TO A STOP TAKE FOOT OFF BRAKE TELLS YOU TO SHIFT TO PARK, I AM DRIVING FOR CHRISTS SAKE. YESTERDAY INTERIOR LIGHTS STAYED ON , SLAMMED DOORS NUMBER OF TIMES, STILL ON. NUMBER OF TIMES WHEN DOOR WAS OPENED INTERIOR LIGHTS WOULD NOT COME ON AT NIGHT TIME. OPENED PASSENGER DOOR ALARM WENT OFF TWICE. DOORS WERE NOT CLOSED. HAVE HAD TO START CAR NUMBER OF TIMES PUT IN REVERSE AND DRIVE, PROBLEM CONTINUED!!!

I HAVE SPOKEN WITH NUMEROUS PEOPLE THAT HAVE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

FORD MEANING ..FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. PIECE OF JUNK.

Update from Sep 19, 2017: this is the 4th time in 4 yrs i am taking this piece of junk in for the same problem now it is even worse

Update from Sep 23, 2017: I HAD THIS JUNK FORD IN SEPT. 19 FOR SAME PROBLEM. THIS WAS TUESDAY, FRIDAY IT STARTED AGAIN SOMETHING IS DRAINING THE BATTERY. I HAVE TO GET A JUMP EVERY TIME I TURN CAR OFF. SO THIS WILL BE THE 6TH TIME I HAVE HAD TO TAKE TO THE DEALER. 6 TIMES IN 24,000 MILES. WHY THE HELL IS THERE NOT A RECALL ON THIS FORD EDGE JUNK. MAYBE AFTER HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE DIE THEN ? WHY HAVE OTHER FORD PRODUCTS WITH SAME PROBLEM BEEN RECALLED.

- , Parma, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Edge LX 3.2L

They need to recall all the things wrong with this vehicle

- , Plain Dealing, LA, USA

May 022016

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

Extremely frustrating and annoying problem. No amount of WD-40 or Brake Cleaner alleviated the issue and it became progressively worse until I was forced to pay for the repair via my local certified mechanic. Ford must listen to its customers and issue a recall, service bulletin and/or offer to pay for the repairs done outside of the warranty. This is a known flaw in the design of the latch that has been around for years. There is no reason why this needs to continue to happen!!!

- , Pincourt, QC, Canada

Jun 012016

Edge ES V6

You've heard this already so there's nothing new. Door Ajar warning indicator keeps going on and off and on again throughout driving. The annoying dinging occurs when you take your foot off the brake and accelerate. We've tried to clean the white sensor in the door, file it down, spray it with lubricant, and nothing seems to fix it.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 012016

Edge

I've been quoted $500 to replace the sensor. This is a safety issue that should be recalled:

1. The dome lights stay on

2. The doors won't lock!

3. My battery has left me stranded due to the lights staying on

4 Causes road rage for the annoying beeping telling me my door is open!

- , Owasso, OK, USA

Feb 052015

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Entire Door latch need replace to fix the "door ajar" warning and affects auto locking of doors. The sensor is a known issue and will continue to need replacement of internal door assembly every couple years when sensor hinge plastic pivot breaks.

The entire door has to be disassembled to replace the part Labor..labor..labor costs $$$

- , Appling, GA, USA

Apr 272016

Edge SEL V6

click to see larger images

door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on

My Ford Edge on April 27th when I get in and close driver door shut says driver door ajar and interior lights stay on and doors won't lock. I have to slam 4 or 5 times. Even when driving it says shift to park driver door ajar. Ford needs to know about this and recall needs to be done to fix problem.

Update from May 17, 2016: now the interior lights stay on even when I don't open driver side door, and wont lock either when driving very dangerous especially at night gotten worse and the driver door ajar be dinging very nerve racking. ford wants to charge $130 to put on machine, needs to be recall to be fixed right by ford dealers.

- , Smithville, TN, USA

Mar 312016

Edge

For the past 2 weeks I have been having problems with my drivers side door indicator. It constantly says that the door is open even when it is closed. There are times when I have to stay with the car for 5-10 minutes just opening and closing the door until it finally does say closed. This has become an issue while driving and getting to placed on time. I see that I am not the only person to complain about this issue and it is extremely frustrating. FORD needs to own up to this issue...it is not normal wear and tear. I will be trading this car in as soon as possible and I will NEVER buy a ford again. F.O.R.D. - Fu**ed On a Raw Deal

- , Miami Springs, FL, USA

Mar 122016

Edge SEL V6

Door open light just recently started coming on intermittantly, and now seems like it's more often. Hoping for a quick, cost effective solution.

- , Green Bay, WI, US

Feb 012016

Edge SE V6

This issue is happening again for us, after originally replacing the driver's door latch in 2014. The driver's door has started acting up again... plus the rear driver side door has started experiencing this problem as well.

- , Midland, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Edge SE V6

We had this problem just after we bought our Edge (used). In order to replace the sensor, you have to replace the entire door latch. To do that, you have to take off the interior door panel, window, and many of the guts from inside the door. I ended up having a local guy do the work for me... Ford wanted $500. To add insult to injury, it just started doing it again not even two years later... and the rear driver side door has started as well.

It is truly ridiculous Ford is not standing by their product when there is obviously a flaw in the design, which is a SAFETY HAZARD. When this issue occurs, the doors cannot be locked. Is it going to take someone getting carjacked and killed or a child opening a rear door and falling out before Ford does something??

- , Midland, NC, USA

Apr 082015

Edge LS V6

THEY ALERT TONES KEPT GOING OFF SAYING "PUT CAR IN PARK DRIVERS DOOR AJAR" AND ALL THE OVER HEAD LIGHTS WOULD STAY ON. HARD TO DRIVE VEHICLE AT NIGHT WITH INTERIOR LIGHTS ON AND DINGING NOISES GOING OFF.

MADE AN APPT WITH BILL WALSH FORD THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS FIXED AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM. THE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING WAS UNDER WARRANTY AND THE DEALERSHIP GAVE ME THE IMPRESSION THAT THE PART WAS REPLACED NOT JUST FIXED. I ASKED WHEN I CHECKED OUT THAT THERE WAS A LOT OF COMPLAINTS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THIS SAME ISSUE AND WAS INQUIRING WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN? THE CLERK LOOKED IT UP AND TOLD ME THERE IS A 2 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY ON THIS PART. WAS TOLD IF I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITHIN THAT TIME JUST CALL AND THEY WILL FIX IT.

- , Ottawa, IL, USA

Feb 202016

Edge Limited V6

Same problem reported numerous times by other Ford owners. Door ajar indicator sensor fails. Despite the drivers door being fully closed, in some cases slammed, the indicator pops up on screen. Dome lights stays on, and doors remain unlocked. In some cases battery drains.

The problem first occurred in early 2015. Dealer cleaned the sensor which I probably should have done myself. Now the problem is back.

Called Ford last year spoke to customer service filed a complaint. Again I file another complaint on 2/22/2016.

It's mind boggling that there's not a recall. And what really enrages me is how dishonest the dealers are. When I mentioned the problem to them last year they had the audacity to say that it had not been reported before. Really google Mr service manager. I told him not to insult me anymore. And if he really wasn't aware of this problem ... well you fill in that blank.

Anyways I'll order the part and replace it. I'm not given a dealer a penny for this. Hopefully Ford will wake up and do the right thing. In the interim I'll hold on to my receipt but not my breath.

- , Seekonk, MA, US