Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

Mar 112018

Edge

While driving on the freeway, car lost power at around 80 mph. My car would not accelerate when going up an incline and takes a while to pick up any speed. This happened on the freeway with my wife and my 1 year old which is extremely dangerous

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 222017

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving 20 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the half shaft and lost control of the steering wheel. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic and was informed that the half shaft separated from the link shaft, causing the steering wheel to lock. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer and the dealer were not contacted in regards to the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jul 242017

Edge

The contact's wife owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The dealer was not notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and referred to the NHTSA hotline and no further assistance was provided. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 162017

Edge

I was slowly turning right into a gas station when my vehicle died. The steering froze and nothing worked. Thankfully I was able to coast into the gas station where I put the car in park, turned it off, and then back on. It started fine. If I had been on the highway, I would be dead!!!! this is incredibly dangerous!!!!

- St. Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 132017

Edge

On 6-22-17 I purchased the Ford Edge from town and country Toyota. Less than a week later the car computer indicator consistently began to denote door ajar. The car was taken back to the dealership where it remained for 4 days. On 7-13-2017 while driving on busy street in charlotte nc around 4:30 pm in the afternoon the Ford Edge computer system flashes that the oil pressure is low. Immediately after this information was placed on the car computer screen the breaks locked, the steering lock and the car stops while in transition with no warning and I am sitting underneath the green light in the middle of an intersection on the street.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 242017

Edge

Incident was in local street when my wife was reversing the car from the driveway then staring suddenly locked and car got shut off. As car was middle of the road with baby so few people came to help and push the car back into the driveway. My wife tried to start again and car got started. We took the car to Ford dealer shop again and again they did not find any issue. Ford gave us car back and make sure that this car is safe to drive.

- Saline, MI, USA

Feb 232017

Edge

Issue occurred twice in my car within a month. 1st one, I was driving on highway with my family in speed of around 60 mile/hours due to traffic, all off sudden a message pooped up on my screen to park the car. As I was driving inner lane so could not park on shoulder side but parked inner side which was very dangerous. Car lost power and did not start but heater was on with high heat and fan. All lights were off could not switch on emergency lights. I towed my car to local shop in that town to find the issue but they could not find anything. They could manage to shut off the heater and next day it worked but they asked me to take to Ford dealer shop. I took the car to Ford dealer shop in my town but they also did not find any issue and assure that issue will not happen again and safe to drive. Which was strange to me that without knowing the actual reason how they can be so sure that this car is safe to drive again. 2nd incident was in local street when my wife was reversing the car from the driveway then staring suddenly locked and car got shut off. As car was middle of the road with baby so few people came to help and push the car back into the driveway. My wife tried to start again and car got started. We took the car to Ford dealer shop again and again they did not find any issue. Ford gave us car back and make sure that this car is safe to drive.

- Saline, MI, USA

Jun 052016

Edge

In a crash involving a front end collision where a truck turned left striking our Edge in the front left, the air bags did not deploy. We were traveling about 25 mph and the other vehicle at about 15-20 mph. My wife suffered a fractured leg and I back issues. The crash was severe enough to total the vehicle. It happened so fast I did not apply brakes. The other vehicle was an older Dodge Dakota pickup.

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 262016

Edge

I have two major problems and safety issues with this car. First is the power booster, which is covered under extended warranty. Symptoms of booster issue are spongy brakes that then went hard with little resistance accompanied by hissing sound coming from brakes. The second issue is a defective throttle body. Three times in as many days when food is on brake, the brake pushes back essentially having lost power brakes and requiring both feet firmly pressed on brake to even remotely slow car down, unable to completely stop vehicle, at the same time I lose power steering and cannot control direction of car, the warning light "low oil pressure" illuminates on the dash. This does not send car into so called "limp home" mode it renders the car essentially inoperable. If I turn the car off and then back on again it returns to normal driving function....until it happens again. I've been lucky that this happened backing out of my driveway and in straight lane stop and go traffic on city streets. Had this happened when I was driving along a curvy mountain road, along the coast or on a los angeles freeway moving 65 mph..I doubt I would have been so lucky. I cannot believe the throttle issue in the Edge is not covered under the extended warranty given to other Ford model cars or even more that this isn't a sweeping safety recall. I am risking life and limb of myself and my two young children driving this car. This is my first Ford and will probably be my last. Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 312016

Edge

When turning into a drive way at low speeds the power steering gave out and the breaks and gas pedal were not responding and the low oil pressure to engine message came on the dash. I turned the car off and gave it a few minutes, and when I turned it back on and had it towed to a dealer they couldn't find any code nor could they replicate the problem after having for 3 days. I am worried if this happens again and at higher speeds like when on the highway. I have researched that Ford had similar issues with the throttle body on other models and years but not the 2013 Edge. This needs to be addressed.

- Tolland, CT, USA

Jan 132016

Edge

Purchased a 2013 Ford Edge on 12/04/2015. Collision warning sensors and advanced track sensor off warnings kept coming on. The dealership says that they replaced them, and things seemed to be okay with the exception of a few other unrelated issues. However, on 02-25-2016 after picking up my car from the dealership again, the accessory power is active sensor came on. Nothing was powered on or plugged in, and it was not mentioned in the manual. I called the dealership again, only I have not had the best overall experience with the service department since buying this car. Online reviews from other Ford Edge owners complain of the engine shutting down and losing power! the collision warning and advance track sensors have come on while driving on the freeway, but the accessory power warning first came on just as I was pulling into a parking spot. It remained on for several hours, then went out. Then the collision warnings and advance track warnings flashed on again for about 10 seconds or so, then went back out. I should add that the dealership supposedly reset the collision warning and advance track sensors and performed ccm alignment procedures. As of yet, I have not lost power, but I am greatly concerned that this could happen! this is the only vehicle I own, and I need to know what can legally be done?

- Clinton, IA, USA

Apr 052013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle veered to the right independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,137. Updated 04/22/16

- Franklin, MA, USA

Jul 012015

Edge

This incident has happened 4 times in the past month and a half. My car completely shuts off and I have no control over the steering or speed. When I restart my car, it turns on. There haven't been any check engine lights or other notifications until today when it happened for the fourth time and the low oil pressure indicator came on and in the indicator box a wrench is now displayed. The first incident I was pulling out of a parking lot into traffic when it happened. The second incident I was pulling into a parking lot. The third incident I was sitting at a red light attempting to accelerate and the car just shut down and this final incident I was driving approximately 5 mph and in traffic, the car just shut down. In all instances the car started back up but if this had happened in any instance that I was going faster or crossing an intersection, I fear I would be killed or injured. I have seen that there are other owners having the same complaint and I just fear that someone will die from this.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Apr 222015

Edge

This is now the second time I've lost all power while driving. The car completely shuts down, steering becomes uncontrollable and the oil pressure light comes on. Car is at the dealership as I type and I'm being told the car has no codes of what happened. I'm not sure how a computer doesn't register a low oil pressure light or how it's not hard coded somewhere in the computer system that the car just cut out at 5mph. The first time I was okay as no one was in from of me. This time I almost wiped out 2 cars in a parking structure while on a down hill ramp.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Feb 272015

Edge 4-cyl

While driving my 2013 Ford Edge lost all power in a turn. The engine shut down, the low oil light came on and I had a hard time steering the car due to the lost of power and the car still in drive. Fortunately no one was behind me or in front of me at the time. Upon reading several forums on this problem I find that I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem as it appears this problem has been happening for years. What does it take to get a recall on this problem, a fatal accident? I'll be taking my car to the dealer since I drive in traffic every day and I can't afford this to happen in that condition, but it sounds like the dealer won't do anything about the problem as per previous posts indicate such.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Oct 142014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving on the city streets and without any warning, the power steering kicked out. I didn't realize this and was already committed to making a right turn. I had to use all my strength to make the turn and stay on the road. After clearing the intersection I noticed the car was not accelerating, instead it was decelerating. The car came to a complete stop on the main road. I quickly put on my blinkers. The car then gave a "low engine oil pressure" error message. I put the car in park, waited a minute, and restarted w. I would have had a big problem if the car stalled out in the left turn or if I couldn't overpower the steering components and went off the road.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Edge 6-cyl

Was driving down the road and the fixing to turn and the engine shut down and lost all power to steering and brakes and the engine low oil pressure light displayed on dash. Vehicle started back up after a while but had the car towed in anyway to dealer. The dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem and gave us the car back. The computer should have stored the problem you would think. This is the 3rd time we have had this car for different problems at 24000 miles. This will probably happen again and somebody will probably get hurt and then Ford is going to have a big problem on their hands. Scared to even drive this lemon now.

- Collinsville, OK, USA

Feb 212014

Edge

I took my car into the don davidson Ford dealership in arlington Texas because it has been breaking weird, smelling funny, shaking hard & losing speed on the freeway(all at once) which it does sporadically. The said they can't reproduce the problem so there's nothing wrong & gave it back to me on Friday. I went straight to the mall & it did it again so I took it back immediately. They kept it for a few hours & tried to give it back again, saying that I drove with the ebrake on (which it wasn't). Now I left my car there, they haven't done anything & I'm paying for a rental for the fourth day because I'm afraid to drive my own car. Ford corporate office told me it was my decision to drive it or not & they can't help. On the trip to the mall I heard a loud noise when I brake & now the rotors are messed up too. I don't know what to do, I still owe $34,000 on my 2013 Ford Edge and it has been recalled for brake issues but they won't help.

- Bedford , TX, USA

Aug 092012

Edge 6-cyl

Purchased 2013 Ford Edge with 27600 miles on it, when taken in for first oil change at 30600 miles I noted power steering fluid level 1/2 inch below minimum mark and marked reservoir tank at this low level to track it, with oil change my local service station filled it up TO1/2 way between max and min line in August 2012. After driving vehicle another 5000 miles noted fluid level again at minimum line, set up appt at local Ford garage 2-3-14 and voiced my concern about a leak, and showed service manager level at min mark and explained I prior noted low level as indicated by previous line I marked to show how low fluid actually was and that I had it filled as mentioned above. On 2-3-14 appointment they checked vehicle for leak and said there was none. Took vehicle in to my local service garage (not my local Ford garage) on 2-12-14 with 35750 miles in it and they found leak of high pressure hose and possible leak of banjo fitting. Will take in to Ford garage again Saturday 2-15-14 as had already set up appointment last week because have heard high pitch squeal on occasion when turn steering wheel left or right and wanted power steering checked again, with bumper to bumper warranty about to expire in 250 miles, wonder if I'll get the run around again or if they will see the leak now and service this vehicle right.

- New York Mills, MN, USA

Sep 042013

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving on the city streets and without any warning, the power steering kicked out. I didn't realize this and was already committed to making a left turn. I had to use all my strength to make the turn and stay on the road. After clearing the intersection I noticed the car was not accelerating, instead it was decelerating. The car came to a complete stop on the main road. I quickly put on my blinkers. The car then gave a "low engine oil pressure" error message. I put the car in park, waited a minute, and restarted with no further issue. I would have had a big problem if the car stalled out in the left turn or if I couldn't overpower the steering components and went off the road.

- Paradise Valley, AZ, USA