Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Edge:

Aug 202019

Edge

Shortly after buying (42,353 miles) this Ford Edge, panoramic sunroof developed cracks while just sitting in the driveway. I had to replace it ($802) by safelite before it completed brakes and falls on top of either me or my wife. I have read that this is a common problem for this type of vehicle. Did not know this prior to buy. My wife is in constant fear it might happen again and that glass will fall on her.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 022019

Edge

Just bought 2016 Ford Edge titanium w/42,000 miles. Vehicle just sitting in driveway. Found a wavy crack on sunroof glass. Also found there are many, many other similar complaints with not much a consumer can do about it. It is obvious from my research that Ford is well aware of this problem on there Edge model but will not fix. I am a veteran and I am disabled. Cannot afford to get this fixed. The dealership has left a very bad taste in our mouths with deceptive practices (I have proof). Do not know what to do. Feel helpless. Wish I never would have gone to gwinnett place Ford in Georgia. Wish someone could do something. Just bought it 3 weeks ago. Do not even have the license plates yet. Went in to purchase on for 16000 to 18000, now I am at 25,000 and counting. My wife is so afraid of the glass just falling down if we ever opened it again.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 012019

Edge

Vehicle has a motion sensor under the rear area that enables the hatch to open and close when you slide you foot under the bumper if you have the key fob on you. When you begin loading packages if your foot moves near the sensor the hatch can close down suddenly and hit you in the head or back if you are turning to empty a cart. There seems to be no way for the user to shut off the motion sensor. A google search reveals many complaints people have made on this topic. Several Ford products have the same system. Vehicle is parked when this happens.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 152019

Edge

Panoramic roof has cracks. Nothing hit the roof and it's kept in a garage

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 122019

Edge

Rear window glass collapsed / crumbled during normal use. The window did not show any initial sign of cracking or failure. It appears this is a known issue with this model that to date Ford has not addressed by recall. The vehicle was stationary at the time however it could have occurred the next time the vehicle was driven. This could be risk to passengers of the vehicle or other vehicles following.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 272018

Edge

I was driving down the street on 12/27/18 when the right rear passenger door opened. I parked the car and tried to close it but I couldn't. I turned the child proof lock and it still wouldn't close. Called Ford in woodbury, NJ and brian told me there were no recalls and they were busy but they'd try and take a look. I took it to our local gas station and mike, the mechanic, said the same thing happened to his Ford truck and other peoples cars. He got a screw driver and he was able to close the door. My 5 yr old granddaughter was sitting there when it opened. We were going to be riding on the NJ turnpike and garden state pkwy. Thank god it didn't open then. The mechanic said the lock froze.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Oct 102018

Edge

Rear window shattered for no reason on my 2016 Ford Edge sport with only 19,000 miles. Got out of my car and closed my front door and pop and crumbling noise only to discover the rear window caved in was all shattered around the bottom Edges. Have seen several posts, pics and forums online about this happening. Why is Ford not being held accountable. Dealer said it's not covered despite's it being a common issue. Had to file an insurance claim and pay my deductible for something that Ford should be responsible for. Luckily I was parked when it happened.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 052018

Edge

Sept 5,2018 had a bad accident whole from end crushed hit my head on side window and bruised ribs from seat belt air bag never went off. The other car involved air bags deployed front and side, collisuion shop even said air bags should have gone off the car was in motion crossing street on a city street couldn't even drive car had to be towed

- Northville, MI, USA

Aug 292016

Edge

The driving lights illuminate the roads poorly and I've had them adjusted twice in order to improve night driving visibility. Also, the driver's door doesn't latch reliably and I've had it adjust ed twice and now the door whistles. The door ajar light signals the door isn't properly shut. There is poor coordination between the keyless fob and the door unlocking both of these problems are ongoing.

- Tyndall, SD, USA

Nov 232017

Edge

I bought a 2016 Edge sport in January and have had to take to the shop for the oil pan leaked 2 times in a month steering warning light came on for 1hr head liner had to be replaced brake lights filled with water, bumper had to be replaced because of a hole from factory. I asked for another car they said no I asked for my money back and they said no so I have a car with 11000 miles that's in the shop every month and nothing I can do about

- Dalton, GA, USA

Nov 032017

Edge

Panoramic vista roof cracked while sitting in the garage. No known impact to roof.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 292017

Edge

Rear panoramic moonroof glass panel was cracked and replaced by a Ford dealer (on September 12, 2017). Defective glass was the cause and Ford motors would not honor their 3-year manufacturer's warranty for a repair at no cost. Fyi, the incident occurred prior to my July vehicle purchase from a Chevrolet dealership.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 292017

Edge

The resistance required to stop the downward movement of the powered lift gate to too great. If the gate were to close on a child or small animal it would cause injury. Gate works according to Ford specs. However a small software change could correct the problem. I am a male and it takes several pounds of resistance for me to cause the gate to reverse. My wife can not stop the downward movement unless she is standing under the gate. Dealer states that several owners have reported the problem. If this issue is not correct somebody or animal are going to be seriously injured or killed.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Mar 192017

Edge

Issue: Latch on driver's door broke. The events described below took place over a 3-day time frame (03/18/2017 - 03/20/2017). On sat., 03/18/2017, I drove the vehicle to a shopping destination and the driver's door would not open. I had to climb over front console to exit the car via the front passenger door. To drive back home, I had to enter the vehicle via the front passenger door and again climb over the front console. After several hours, the door was opened and all was presumed to be ok. However, the next day (sun., 03/19/2017), the driver's door flew open while the car was exiting the highway at about 45 mph. I pulled over and strained to pull the door in. However, the latch would not catch and close. While maneuvering the vehicle, the driver drove home very slowly pulling in and holding the car door. The vehicle sat unsecured overnight until it could be taken to for repair. This problem presented a high level of danger for me, other vehicles/drivers/passengers, and possibly pedestrians/properties. The affected vehicle has a little over 3,500 miles logged and is under year one of a three year lease. As this report is being typed (mon., 03/20/2017), the service department at the local Ford dealer is assessing the problem. The vehicle co-owner has already been informed that parts and labor costs to fix the issue are not covered under the warranty; will cost hundreds of dollars to repair; take a week to complete; and, a loaner car is not available. After being loyal Ford customers for over 30 years (purchase/lease), this stings the owner(s) on many levels.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Sep 132016

Edge

Drivers side door latch defective indicating "door ajar' and warning chime sounding. But door not open. Dealer replaced door latch at cost of $403 but Ford not accepting responsibility. Request reimbursement. J. nelson 847 382 6452

- Barrington, IL, USA