Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

May 222017

Escape

When I run my ac or heater exhaust comes in cant use either not sure whats going on with car but I do know that my car has been recalled prior to me owning the vehicle in 2015 of August and do know that it has not been fixed. Currently my car has 10 recalls and cant get my car fixed by Ford

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 192017

Ford Escape brake booster

- Dover, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Escape

3 of doors will not open, since 2010, a recall was issue but Ford insists not my truck due to the VIN number I know this truck is 15years old it has majority of the problem that has been made public I personally paid for repairs not knowing but despite engine, transmission, doors, and current recall subframe my complaint is deaf, doors are permanently damage.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 122015

Escape

I bought the car in 2015, back passenger door would not open from inside or outside, about 2 months ago same thing as happened to the front passenger door. This is very dangerous, need it fixed.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Oct 122015

Escape

I was making a ride an maple road when all of a sudden I hear a sort of popping noise almost like a flat tire. Thats what I thought it was so I kept drive to where I live.on the way home all I heard was a screeching. When I got home home I check and the suspension had snapped because of rusting

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 302015

Escape

My car jerks when driving very badly hed many repairs done to no avail 118,000 miles have a disabled husband car is unrieabledriving on highway and local streets to get home.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Jun 172011

Escape 6-cyl

On or about June 17, 2011, my 2002 Ford Escape was parked and the ignitition was in the off position when my car alarm went off. When I looked outside I observed smoke bellowing out from under the hood. The next day, I was able to get my vehicle to dealer, where they diagnosed the ABS module has overheated and needs to be replaced. I was given an estimate of $720 to repair the problem. Upon further investigation I have discovered that the service brakes, hydraulic: Antilock; control unit module was recalled by Ford (#07S51)on April 23, 2007 and continues to be open. I was in contact with service manager for dealer on or about June 30th to follow up on the work they had done in May 2007 concerning this problem. He informed me that when they inspected the vehicle in 5/07, there was no problem and that it was properly inspected, and they placed grease on it, and are not willing to pay for this repair. On or about July 1, 2011, submitted a claim to the Ford Motor Co. Regarding this repair at no cost to me. Upon further inspection, has also discovered another recall problem (NHTSA #07E023000)service brakes, hydraulic: Foundation components: Master cylinder and that brake fluid has leaked from the rear of master cylinder and has leaked on the vehicle into the power brake booster. I have been experiencing no brakes when I put my foot on the brake pedel. Despite these recall problems being invesitgated, neither Ford Motor Company feel that they are not responsible for the repairs and have told me I must bare the enormous costs for these repairs on my own and/or drive the vehicle unsafely. I have been stranded in prescott, AZ for over 3 weeks, and am tired of wrangling with all three dealership/companies and need your help in investigating this situation! thank you!

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

May 302011

Escape

I drove my vehicle home from work (less than 5 miles). When I pulled into my driveway and parked my vehicle, smoke began to pour out from the engine compartment. When I opened the hood there were flames directly in front of the driver side near the fire wall. These flames were originating from the ABS module location.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

May 252011

Escape

While accelerating on an on-ramp entering a state highway, traffic ahead of me came to a stop. I went from applying pressure on the gas pedal to immediately moving my right foot to the brake pedal to apply pressure. The brake pedal gave very little resistance. I depressed the pedal all the way to the floor of the vehicle. My vehicle came to a very slow stop as if I was only lightly depressing the brake. My tires did not skid as I would expect and the vehicle took several seconds to finally come to a very slow and gradual stop. The stop was so slow and gradual that I could not even feel momentum pushing my body forward as usually experienced when suddenly braking.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 012011

Escape

Front lower sub-frame is rotted out and the vehicle is unsafe to drive. (my service garage, who have maintained my vehicle continuously since I bought it, says this is very premature for this condition to occur.)

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jan 312011

Escape

The vehicle was parked in the driveway. While turning the ignition to start, there was a catastrophic engine explosion. The hood largely contained the fire. Luckily no one was injured and the fire did not last long and did not spread to the surroundings. A tow truck was called and the repair shop technician found the "intake manifold had blown to pieces". a code on the system indicated a misfire on cylinder 5. the vehicle was repaired for $1720, including cam position sensor, intake manifold, and ignition coil, relating to the incident.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 012010

Escape

2002 Ford Escape XLT caught fire while parked. Vehicle was totaled.

- Ferndale, WA, USA

Apr 282010

Escape 6-cyl

My 2002 Ford Escape caught fire while parked and was recorded as a total loss. The consumer stated the fire started under the hood. Updated 06/23/10

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

May 302009

Escape

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. Thirty minutes after fuel was placed in the vehicle, it caught fire in the contact's driveway. The fire department arrived and extinguished the fire. A report was filed. There were no injuries and the vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the failure was unknown. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- The Colony, TX, USA

May 152002

Escape

With no warning the automatic transmission on our Escape failed completely at 44,130 miles. So far, no financial assistance has been offered by Ford or the repairing dealer dispite attempts by me to get relief for the $2700 repair bill! we have had a loud noise coming from the drivetrain since about 18,000 miles and had it checked at 25,000 by our local Ford dealer. The dealer insisted that it was only tire noise...which while very sceptical, we accepted with the caveat that when we eventually replaced the tires, the noise would be gone our we expected the vehicle to be repaired at no charge. Since the transmission's very premature failure, we have revisited the powertrain noise as we now suspect its source may have caused the transmission failure. Both front wheel bearings have been changed, the wheels and tires have been substituted and the very loud noise continues. Two Ford dealers have inspected the vehicle and no one yet has an idea of what the source of the noise is now! this truck is a true lemon and I think Ford should be stepping up to the plate to fix and pay for this problem as well as all or most of the transmission repair!!!!

- Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 232003

Escape 6-cyl

Stiff accelerator pedel. Cannot make a smooth acceleration from a complete stop. The pedal doesn't seem to "give" until it's pushed too much. When it's pushed too much. There is a surge of acceleration and usually the tires just spin, whether it's raining, snowing or just plain dry out.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Oct 152002

No summary.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 162002

Escape 4WD

On three separate occasions while driving between 35-40 mph the car stalled in traffic. The engine light came on, the oil light came on and I lost power steering and power brakes. Each incident occured after the car had not been driven for a long period. The first time was after I had been at work all day and was going home. The second and third times were first thing in the morning after the car had been running approximately 10 minutes. The dealer and manufacturer have been notified.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 292002

Escape

While driving my 2002 Escape stalls--no power--no brakes. The power steering goes out the the engine light come on.

- Austell, GA, USA

May 292002

Escape

I was driving in afternoon traffic yesterday when my car went from 40 mph to 20 mph. Oil light and emissions light came on, and then the car stalled and rolled to a stop. I turned the engine off, and it restarted after five minutes. I made it home. It was quite scary as I was sitting in traffic. I had heard from someone in a shopping center about this problem with their 2001 model. Upon research on your site today, I am alarmed at the number of occurrences and that this is a serious problem. I will be taking to the dealership today for repair. I am concerned that Ford has not done anything about this after reading how wide-spread this is. I am terrified to drive it now as I have a two year old daughter and am six months pregnant.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA