Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

Jun 152014

Escape 6-cyl

Rusted out right wheel well with structural collapse. We bought this car used from a local Ford dealer in April of 2013. This car was being driven on a freeway on June 15, 2014 when a loud thumping started in the right rear wheel on. On inspection the right rear wheel well is rusted out. The support that the shock absorber is attached to was completely eroded and a part of it punched through the wall into the interior of the trunk area. We felt it was not safe to drive. We had it towed to another Ford dealer who diagnosed the problem. The estimated cost of repair is $2259. Review of the NHTSA complaint web site reveals many other owners with exactly the same problem.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Apr 182014

Escape 6-cyl

I have a hole and rust forming in the passenger side rear wheel. This is beginning to expose the shock area. I live in a high salt area.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Escape

TL -the contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that in June 2014, she received NHTSA recall campaign number: 14V165000(suspension). She attempted to have the vehicle repaired but the parts were unavailable; however, Ford on numerous occasions could not provide a solid answer on when the parts would be available or how long it would take to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jun 032014

Escape 6-cyl

Rear passenger shock mount rusting out.

- Arden Hills, MN, USA

Jun 022014

Escape 6-cyl

On a family vacation, the rear passenger side upper shock mount experienced complete failure, breaking away from the rear wheel well entirely. Imagine my outrage when I come to find out that rusted out passenger rear wheel wells are a common problem on the Ford Escapes for this year. The well-being of my family was put in jeopardy because Ford has failed to issue a recall on this flawed engineering. That is shameful. This is a serious safety issue that could've ended poorly for me and my family! please address this issue.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Jun 022014

Escape 6-cyl

Recall notice arrived in the mail on Saturday May 31st. Called local Ford dealership on Monday morning June 2nd at 8 am< to make an appointment and was told the earliest opening they had was December 22nd 2014- this is way too far away if there is a safety concern with my vehicle - dealership is romano Ford on burdick street, fayetteville NY 13066 - (315) 637-4668 is there any way to get faster repairs"?"

- Cazenovia, NY, USA

May 172014

Escape 6-cyl

We were driving out of our subdivision and heard a loud banging noise that continued from that point. We pulled over an investigated and found the right rear shock had come loose at the top mount. Upon further review by a repair shop, the wheel/fender well has corroded including the integral shock mount. The vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- White Lake, MI, USA

May 082014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the vehicle being serviced, it was advised that the sub frame was extremely corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who advised that the vehicle was not worth repairing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V165000 (suspension front) however, the contact no longer owned the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Cooperstown, MD, USA

May 262014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wheel house strut mount was entirely rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem, the approximate failure mileage 105,000.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 152014

Escape 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford Escape (6 cyl., front wheel drive) that now has over 110,000 miles. At 108,465 miles, the #2 catalytic converter blew and was replaced (along with all 6 ignition coils). A second mechanic found debris in the #3 catalytic converter, cleaned it and the exhaust system. (the engine was not getting enough air passing through the exhaust system and would barely make it up a hill.) then he discovered the right rear wheel well was rusting out posing a severe threat that the shock absorber will punch through into the body of the car making the Escape totally inoperable. A recall is already out for Ford minivans for the same issue but apparently not for the Escapes. Why not? this can be repaired at a cost of nearly $2,000. With the catalytic converter and ignition coils, I've already spent over $2500 and don't have the $2,000 for this necessary repair due to poor materials used to make this vehicle.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

May 062014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and hit a pothole, after hitting the pothole there was a loud clunking noise coming from the rear. After inspection the entire shock mount had rusted away from the body and became separated. It was free to jolt around and cause further damage. Not safe to be driving this vehicle now.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

May 042014

Escape 6-cyl

I'm driving on a newly paved street when I heard a large noise, like a bomb going off, near the right rear of my vehicle. Then I heard something hitting against the right rear tire. I pulled over and looked at the vehicle when I looked under the vehicle to the right rear wheel well the well was rusted out and the shock and mount was now detached from the frame. The Ford Escape is not drivable. The rear wheel well is so rusted out there is a hole into the storage compartment in the rear of the vehicle. When I look from inside the storage compartment/hatch area of the Escape I can see the outside through the hole.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 082014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife noticed a clunking coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I was able to identify that the issue is a separation in the wheelhouse where the strut attaches to the wheel well. The factory-applied undercoating failed and caused the metal area beneath it to rust out. There is a visible hole in the structure, and we are able to see into the trunk area. Our body shop advises that the vehicle is no longer safe to drive, and that full detachment of the top strut mount is imminent. After investigation, he also advises us that he found online nearly 100 similar incidents on similar vehicles ranging from 2004-2006, all with varying mileage. In fact, he has two vehicles on his property that share the same concern: One lost full integrity, and the strut blew through the body into the cargo space; the other shares a similar level of failure as our car. It is also his professional opinion that this sort of rust-out is not common nor expected of a vehicle this age. After extensive local research and personal investigation, I have found in my city alone a half dozen Ford Escape-style vehicles of the same years-range with similar issues at various stages of concern. I also have recorded over 200 complaints from several bulletin boards across the internet noting similar concerns. We have yet to personally contact Ford, yet we see from the postings that the response is the same: Ford does not consider this an issue. Ford, however, has slated later this month to issue a recall related to a similar suspension-rust issue in the vehicle's right front wheelhouse. As the loss of an effective strut can cause serious handling, braking and suspension safety issues at any corner of the automobile, this concern from the rear of the vehicle should be no different.

- Rutland, VT, USA

May 032014

Escape 6-cyl

Right rear suspension shock absorber mount detached and pushed through body of vehicle. Vehicle now is unstable and dangerous.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 282014

Escape 6-cyl

A rattling from rear passenger wheel area. Upon investigation to see what it was I found that the upper connection point of the shock tower was completely rusted through and was barely connected to the rest of the body. Within a day or two afterwards the upper part had completely separated and the shock was bouncing around freely. I removed the shock yesterday (5/1/2014) as it had pushed up (since it has no resistance or means to hold it compressed) and punched a hole through the plastic interior side wall liner in the tailgate area. There is now an approximately 10" square hole in the side of my vehicle where I can see the tire and road. I will need to seal the opening to keep road water from entering. Photos can be provided.

- Ecorse, MI, USA

May 012014

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving today a began to hear a loud banging noise. I took it to my mechanic and he said the wheel well is so rusted that the struts are barely attached. He told me the car is not safe to drive. After researching this online I have came across hundreds of people with the same problem. I think Ford should recall these vehicles!

- Wellsville , OH, USA

Dec 182013

Escape

Was driving on the highway and noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of my vehicle and noticed the noise was getting louder. I took my vehicle to my mechanic thinking I needed shocks. My mechanic stated to me that I could not put new shocks on my Escape because my inner fender well was rusted out and my shock was no longer bolted to the frame. I then had to take it to a body shop to be repaired. My shock was just bouncing around and could have broken through the back seat or broken off all together. Once I took it to the body shop I was told I would also have to replace the shocks because my right passenger side shock was cracked in half. I just purchased this "used" vehicle in November and my husband really likes Ford products but after this happening to us and finding out that Ford hasn't done anything about this problem for anybody who has had the same issue it is very disappointing. Luckily nobody in my family was injured due to this problem. I realize this problem has happened to most vehicles where there is snow and ice has to be used on the roads, I feel Ford should issue a recall for the vehicles that have had this problem.

- Weirton, WV, USA

Apr 212014

Escape

I am writing to inform you of my problem with my 2004 Ford Escape. I have recently noticed a loud clunking noise in the rear of the car. Upon further inspection I saw that around the right rear strut it's completely rusted out and the strut in nearly free. I did research and noticed that I am definitely not the only one with this problem. I would like it fixed or pointed in the direction as to where I can get it taken care of.

- Parma Heights, OH, USA

Mar 292014

Escape

I was driving home on the highway and all of a sudden my car pulled really hard to the right side and started making a loud horrible noise. Everytime I would hit a bump, it pulled the car. I made it home and had it looked at. My rear passenger wheel well was rusted so bad that my shock went right through it. All of the other wheel wells are just fine and appear to still be coated.

- Holland, MI, USA

Apr 072014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when I hit a pot hole. The body/frame part of the passenger side rear wheel well broke loose around the rear passenger shock. So there is nothing holding the shock in place. It is causing further damage to the area. The body/frame has deteriorated in that area. I cannot drive my vehicle. Ford has issued a recall for the front end rusting prematurely and causing damage. But, I think this is the same reason.

- Romulus, MI, USA