Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway at about 65 mph. Driving for about 30 min. When vehicle started to stutter and slow down. Pushing the accelerator and no response -RPM and speed dropping quickly. Almost run over by other vehicles on highway. Wrench light came on the dash panel. Car was pulled over to side of road and barely going at 900 RPM and ~ 2 mph. Needed to ha E car towed. This is a very dangerous issue that needs to be fixed immediately!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jun 282012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down highway in morning traffic with cruise control set at 55-60mph when all acceleration cut off and I had to immediately pull over and put my 2009 Ford Escape into park, at which point the engine was shuddering violently and my wrench light (powertrain) appeared in the dash. Shut off engine, waited 1-2 mins and restart engine. Ran normally, pulled onto highway again and set cruise when the same happened a 2nd time. Happened 3-5 more times (with & without cruise) over the next day until I could get my car to the Ford dealer for service. Ford dealer advised it was throttle body in addition to other sensors. (the throttle body was not covered under powertrain warranty and cost me $300 in parts & labor!!) the error codes were: P0012, P0341, P0346, P2111, & P2112.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

This is the 3rd time this problem happened. I'm driving normally, at a constant speed, and all of a sudden, wrench light comes on, rpms do weird things, gas pedal doesn't do anything, putting it in neutral in a drift downspeed does nothing, park does nothing. Putting it in park and shutting the engine, and starting again makes the light go away and run fine again. This is a huge safety concern as I travel with young children and this will happen with no warning at all. Very disappointed Ford will not recall and fix this very common problem.

- Louisville, LA, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

We were driving around a corner and all of a sudden the wrench light came on and the gas pedal would no longer work. No other lights came on, just the wrench light. I was able to pull off the road, fortunately, as the steering still worked. I turned the car off, restarted, and it ran fine the rest of the way home. Since that occurrence, I have had the engine die multiple times. This generally happens when I have pulled up to a red light signal. The car dies, and it is always right before the light turns green! you have to quickly put it in park, restart the engine, and then it runs fine. When it dies, the throttle will not function at all as it goes right to the floor. Since the first occurrence, it died while my wife was driving the vehicle also. Same scenario as mentioned above and also when stopped, the car throttle kind of surges, almost as if the car is going to die. When you apply gas, it jumps forward. I took it into the Ford dealer and after multiple visits they have determined that the throttle body needs to be replaced. I have a code reader and the code was P2111 and P2112 (error throttle actuator stuck). They first charged me for "cleaning" the throttle body assembly. Said I must have blown dust in it! also told me my 6-speed transmission has shift issues on hard acceleration....probably caused by them. Talked to parts dept and throttle body quote $200.83, when service advisor asked if I wanted them to replace it he quoted $240.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Jun 262013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving the 2009 Ford Escape at approximately 35 mph, when the vehicle started to flutter. I watched the rpms go up and down. I press the gas pedal to keep it from dying or turning off, but nothing happened. It kept fluttering and slowing down then it turned off. While this was happening the orange wrench shaped warning light came on. The car turned back on but continues to do this. I cant drive it 2 miles with out it happening. I took it to the dealer. They said it was a part called the throttle body. They said its on national back order. And I wont have my vehicle for about a month. Wow. Not.good. Research done shows thousands of the vehicles had the same problem from 2009 to 2012 models.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Approximately 7:45 am on Monday, July 8th, 2013, I was driving my 2009 Ford Escape to work. I stopped at a traffic light at the corner of East 30th street and North shadeland avenue. Once the light turned green I attempted to make a left turn from East 30th street to turn left (southbound) on North shadeland avenue when the vehicle (2009 Ford Escape) stalled and the car turned off. I tried to start the car back up...the vehicle started but when I hit the gas pedal to accelerate to get out of the middle of the intersection, the gas pedal did not engage and the car would not accelerate so I had to coast to the nearest shoulder for safety. I called a Ford's roadside assistance. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest Ford dealer. The Ford dealer told me the repairs required to fix the problem was: 1) throttle body, 2) reprogramming the vehicle's computer system after the throttle body is repaired, 3) fuel injectors as well as 4) air filter...the dealer's total cost for the repairs was quoted to me as $620!!! with all the complaints of the Ford Escape having with the throttle body, which is a major safety issue. Please help me recoup the major cost of the throttle body repairs as I feel Ford Motor Company should repair at no cost because there should be a safety recall issued by Ford.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 052013

Escape

Started to drive car and engine quit, wrench light came on dashboard. Had to be towed to dealership. Throttle body needs to be replaced when it was replaced almost exactly one year ago.

- West Newton, MA, USA

Jul 022012

Escape

Driving at 65 mph on highway when car suddenly lost power steering and power brakes. Car then rapidly decelerated and I was able to exit the highway where the car completely died. Throttle body needed to be replaced.

- West Newton, MA, USA

Jun 252013

Escape

A week after I bought a 2009 Ford Escape from a used dealership, I began having problems with the SUV. First the battery died, leaving me, my boyfriend and his 3 year old nephew stranded in Malibu until 10pm. The next day, we replaced the battery at an auto zone. As we started to drive home, my car surges and stalls. I turn the car off and on again and continue to drive but in about 20 feet, the car surges to a stop again and the "wrench light" turned on indicating a throttle control/powertrain problem. I have my car towed to the nearest body shop and the next day they tell me they cant fix my car and that I needed to get it towed to a Ford dealer. I contact the privately owned dealership where I bought my car (which is 40 mins away from my home) and they tell me they will get someone to tow my vehicle to them. A couple days later they tell me its a throttle body issue and that I needed to get it replaced. After they gave me a quote on how much repairs would cost, I told them I couldn't afford it so they tried cleaning the throttle body. After they cleaned it, they said my car was operable again but I would need to replace the throttle body as soon as I could. Since then I have driven my car almost 300 miles with no problems but I am still weary that my car will stall on me again so I will definitely have the part replaced once I have the money to do so. For a week while my car was in the shop(s) I did a lot of researching on my make and model SUV and I have read many complaints of people with a similar issue. What I don't understand is why the government hasn't issued a recall yet. Anyway, I'm just thankful I wasn't on the freeway or a busy street when my Escape decided to crap out on me. I could have been in a way worse of a situation.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on I55 in Chicago going 60 mph the gas peddle went soft. There was no accretion, I was force to move to the shoulder. I turned the car off and then on and it ran fine for 20 miles then the same thing happened again, and then again. I was able to get my vehicle to the Ford dealer who told me it was the throttle body and it would take 2 weeks to have a replacement part.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle randomly slips into limp-home mode at slow speeds and highway speeds. The wrench light turns on and the accelerator is non-responsive. If the vehicle is put into park and the engine is shift off, it restarts with no problem...until a random time further down the road. Monday it happened 5 times; Tuesday it happened 3 times.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 262013

Escape

In September of 2010, the check engine light on my Ford Escape would come on and off, on and off. Some times it would stay on for weeks and then just disappear. Sometimes it would stay on for a day or two and then disappear. And whenever I need to take it to the repair shop, the check engine light was never on. Pep boys could never find anything wrong because they check engine light was never on, and no codes appeared. When pep boys drove the car, it never stopped on them. In April of 2012, as my son was home from college and driving the car, it shut off on him on the freeway on many occasions. He would explain to me that the engine went off and the car would not accelerate. He would have to pull over and either restart it or wait an hour for it to start sometimes. This happened on numerous occasions at fast and slow speeds. The check engine light and maintenance lights would come on. The car began stopping on me with the exact same problems stated above. Every time I took the car to pep boys, they would drive it for hours and it never stopped on them. On April 29, 2012, I took the car in to pep boys, and the stop engine code read that the cam sensor needed to be replaced. I got the car back on may14, 2012, and it immediately stopped on me. Then it ran good for two weeks, then it began stopping again on a regular basis. On June 21, 2012, I took the car in and the codes read throttle problem. They replaced the throttle and I got the car back on June, 29, 2013. I have spend over $3500 on this problem and would like to get reimbursed. One thing to not is that the original check light began to come on around August of 2011 and there never was a clear diagnosis until may and June of 2013.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

As I pulled out of my driveway my car appeared to stall. A wrench warning light came on and the car had very little power. It felt as if I was in neutral. I was able to pull it in front of my house and called a Ford dealership who had it towed. The problem is the throttle body but the part is on back order. I was told that there are 8,000 requests for the part but it is currently not being produced so the wait could be months or longer. I was told that I would have to pick up my car and drive it as is, as a replacement car was not available. I asked if it was possible to get the part threw a different company and was advised that the part cannot be found anywhere but I may be able to get a used one from a wrecked car. When I picked up my car and drove it home it stalled twice. I did as I was advised by Ford, I turned off the car, waited a few minutes and then restarted the car. This worked both times but is not a very safe way to drive. Fortunately I had someone following me and we both had our hazards on as the cars behind us were not happy when I had to stop in the middle of the road.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling at 60 mph on the highway I suddenly lost all power. I coasted the car across a lane of traffic to the right lane of the highway. I could not pull out of traffic because this part of the highway has no shoulder and is bordered by a concrete wall or fence. The right-lane traffic came to a stop while I restarted the car. After I restarted the car, I proceeded down the freeway, but before I arrived at the next exit, the car stalled again. I feared for my safety and for the safety of other drivers. I experienced a similar incident on 6/20/13 and reported it to safercar.gov. At that time, I took my car to the local Ford dealer who services my car. The dealer stated that the problem is related to the throttle body. The problem is so common to Ford Escapes that there is a 3 week backlog for ordering a replacement part. In the meantime, the dealer reprogrammed the PCM (power control module?) for $118 as a temporary fix. Apparently, the fix was very temporary. My car is too dangerous to be driven until the throttle body is replaced. For the safety of myself and other drivers, I cannot risk driving the car to work. How many lives must be placed at risk before a recall is issued to correct this defect?

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 292013

Escape 6-cyl

About a year to year and a half ago I lost all forward motion while driving, could not get the car to respond to the accelerator, and the "wrench" light came on. I made it to the side of the road and a few minutes later it started it right up. This happened several times over a couple of weeks period, I took it to our Ford house but they could not find any issues. I then took it to my local mechanic and he said he thought it was a throttle issue but couldn't find the exact problem, so he suggested we take it back to the Ford house and let them "put it on the computer" and look again. I did but they said although they unplugged and reconnected several things they still could not find anything wrong. I didn't have any problems for a few months and now it has started happening again, 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Now it sputters some when I restart it but so far it has started. I have a toddler and depend on my car to get us around and this is a very real safety concern. Getting rear-ended or run over while trying to get off the road is a huge fear. It sounds like when I take it back to the Ford house, and I will, the wait on the part will still mean I'll be driving an unsafe vehicle for a while.Ford needs to pay attention before there is a fatality and then the whole world will know how much they care about their customers.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Jun 242013

Escape

I was driving and came to a stop sign, turned left and pressed the gas and my car wouldn't go, all lights and gauges were normal but the gas pedal all the way to the floor wouldn't make the car go so I coasted off to the shoulder and almost made it out of the road. I tried calling several tow truck company's for roadside assistance and didn't get an answer. After about 20 mins, I tried cranking the car. All parts ran normal, all gauges normal, so I drove it to work and then called the Ford dealership where they told me that is was the throttle body.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Jun 012013

Escape

While driving the vehicle on the freeway approx 55-65 mile per hour engine light came on, rpms went down to 1000 and would not rev back up until I pulled the car over on the shoulder put it in park and shut it off and back on. This has occurred about 5 times since and seems to be happening more often until I dropped it off at the dealer. Also occured leaving a stop.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jun 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle throttle stuck open at 45 mph.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 212013

Escape

While driving approximately 40 mph, the car stalled. I could not do anything except coast to the nearest parking lot. I turned the car off and the restarted it. Everything seemed to be fine but later that night, the same thing occurred. I took it to the dealer, they said it was the throttle body and the part is on back order.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I was leaving our local store and turned onto the access road to have my car start shaking and won't go faster than about 4 mph. Right after, the powertrain symbol came on followed the engine light. With my hazard lights on I crept into the closest parking lot and turned off the car, waited a few minutes and then started it again. When turned back on the lights were all gone, so I assumed it was a fluke. Until I started driving and as soon as I turned everything turned back on and the shaking happened again. I had to have my vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealership told me the it was the throttle and that the part was on back order because of so many of the Escapes breaking in the same part. Now its the sit and wait game for weeks!

- Cypress, TX, USA