Jun 072019

Escape

During operation vehicle lost ability to accelerate, all other functions still existed. Yellow service ranch appeared on dash had to pull over and put car in park, I don┐T was very rough turn engine off. After starting car back up all lights were gone, able to drive again. This has now occurred more than 20 times. We have replaced both oxygen sensors, the purge canister and the catalytic converter. Still having the same issue. When this happens on large highways or a multilane interstate it becomes a very dangerous situation.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 262018

Escape

I was driving down the highway and suddenly no power was going to the wheels when I stepped on the gas pedal. The car proceeded to slowdown and once pulled over to the side of the road it wouldn┐T send any power to the front or back wheel but would rev the engine, even though I was in drive. I tried this in reverse as well but still nothing.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Sep 052018

Escape

Vehicle stalls/shuts off randomly while in motion driving. This has happened several times while on side streets and on the highway. Recently happened twice within 30 minutes. Extremely dangerous.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Jul 182018

Escape

While driving on freeway at 70mph, wrench light and check engine light came on and car suddenly slowed to 40mph. This happened twice in a week. The trouble code shows P2112. Dealer says that my VIN is not covered by the consumer satisfaction program 13N03, but I have experienced the same problem. Dealer says etb must be replaced. I will have to pay for it.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 092018

Escape

Steering wheel started to shake when stopped, with brake pedal depressed. A few hundred miles later lost power steering.also transmission downshifts hard, also noticeable clunk when shifting from park to reverse.

- Strawberry, AZ, USA

Jun 012016

Escape

2009 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to bad throttle bodies. The consumer stated throttle body failed at 62,338 miles and again 14 months later at 75,927.

- Saint Elmo, IL, USA

Jul 032017

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the speedometer, fuel gauge, and steering column seized while the vehicle was driven 45 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the alternator was replaced. The contact also stated that the alternator warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred. Northgate Ford (8940 colerain ave, cincinnati, oh) was contacted and diagnosed that the steering control module, instrument cluster module, and torque sensor software were reset. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that they would not offer any additional repairs, and the expense of the next failure would be at the owner's expense. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 052018

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 40-45 mph, the transmission seized and the steering wheel seized to the right. The contact also stated that the transmission failed to shift correctly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission sensor and steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Lance cunningham Ford (4101 East clinton highway, knoxville, tn 37912, (866) 591-3943) and the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Sharps Chepel, TN, USA

Jul 102017

Escape

Electronic throttle body (etb) my 2009 Ford Escape will occasionally lurch/surge forward or stall out while I'm driving. I believe this is a problem that Ford addressed with an extended warranty a few years ago but I was not aware of this. I believe this is a safety issue and Ford should contact all owners!

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Aug 012017

Escape

Was accelerating after coasting to slow down for a turn on city streets. Engine stalled out and service, oil, and battery lights all illuminated on the panel. Vehicle lost all power and had to coast to a stop. Put it in park, turned off and restarted with no issue. This is the 5th time this has happened in the last 18 months, all in simliar scenarios where accelerating after coasting.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Dec 072016

Escape

2009 Ford Escape leaking oil in garage and got worse. Leaking front drivers side. Axel seal leaking and was changed. But leak continued. Returned to garage and found out numerous complaints with manufacturing problem from 2008 till 2014. Had to order and replace another new seal, bushings, half shaft axel. Was told there was a possible fire if not fixed in time. This leaked while sitting in garage and got worse as driven.

- Denver, PA, USA

Nov 162016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 70 mph on a highway, the vehicle drastically decelerated to below 40 mph. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle continued to lose power. The contact coasted off the road and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Nov 122016

Escape

While driving our vechile the wrench lights comes on, then we fill a jerk turn the car off an on. Then it is okay for a little while then the same thing happens again, but the engine lights comes on as well. Not safe to drive. Unfair that it is only covered after so many miles. When you know you have a big problem in the beginning. We brought our car used with 51,000 milses. We tried to get it in the dearlship everytime the light came on. But nothing. What are we supposed to do now. The lights comes on while the car is moving.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 242016

Escape 4-cyl

Please see this clip on youtube that explains our issue. Https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=ucusqj3-evk my vehicle, without warning will lose power and the wrench light appears. Same thing, mechanic has no clue. Why can't Ford figure this out. It's dangerous. My wife has stalled several times in traffic. What can be done" thank you!

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Jul 022016

Escape

Wrench light keep coming on in motion

- Orange, TX, USA

Jun 112016

Escape

Wrench light illuminated on instrument cluster and vehicle went into "limp mode", and could not maintain speed above 20 mph. This occurred while driving at freeway speeds and was very concerning. I drove home in the right hand lane, with hazards on, along back roads to avoid interstate speeds. Car actually dropped to less than 10 mph while driving up hill. Took it to my dealer who confirmed that the throttle body was bad. They said that Ford would not cover the costs, estimated at $400.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 142016

Escape

While driving vehicle normally, all of the sudden without warning the wrench indicator warning light turns on, and there's immediate loss of power. Motor begins to struggle, and there is no response when hitting the gas pedal. Struggles to even make it to getting to the side of the road to avoid traffic accident. After turning off vehicle, waiting a couple of minutes, then restarting vehicle, it will drive normally again, & the wrench light is no longer there. However, this scenario keeps occurring. It started happening about once a week, then a couple of times a week, & then to several times in a single day.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Nov 212015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact attempted to start the vehicle however, the vehicle failed to operate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module would need to be replaced. The vehicle would be serviced within a week when the part became available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 02/19/16

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 232015

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape has difficulty getting enough momentum to accelerate on the highway, this is a daily struggle. Yesterday I was trying to pass an 18-wheeler as it was drifting into my lane; as I eagerly pressed on the gas my car jumped and continued to coast at the same speed. Earlier this month, I had to decelerate from 40 mph to a fairly abrupt stop and my car was unable to. I just had my brake pads replaced so I knew that wasn't the problem, my car jolted a total of 7 times before coming to a complete stop. I almost crashed into the car in front of me. Every time I drive my car it sounds like its going to fall apart, the rattling coming from the suspension is constant. I get my Ford Escape checked up every month, because of all the problems I have. This car is a hazard to my safety, and I do not feel comfortable driving in this rolling plastic death trap. It's infuriating that the government claims a defective electronic throttle body to be not harmful enough to have a recall. I could have died from in both instances which I specified in this complaint, something needs to be done about this.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Nov 182015

Escape

My Ford Escape electronic power steering has been acting erratically. It seems to work fine sometimes, but then turns off at other times. This makes it extremely hard to turn the vehicle.

- The Dalles, OR, USA