8.5

$920

Most common solutions:

2. electronic power assist replacement (4 reports)
  3. replace steering column (2 reports)
  4. shut off vehicle. waited a couple of minutes (2 reports)

May 012018

Escape

I just need to get it fixed asap. I can't drive it cause I can't turn the steering wheel.

- Kendra P., Centreville, US

Jan 252018

Escape XLT 3.0L Flex Fuel V6

Previous recall done to reprogram EPA few years ago. Steering became "convulsive" about 2 months ago. Complete died late January. Whatever original recall was, it did not fix the issue.

- Martin C., Bolingbrook, IL, US

Dec 252017

Escape Liimited V6

another example of big auto leaving their flaws for the little guy to fix. they know this part is defective but so what!

- Daniel N., Bedford Heights, US

Dec 242017

Escape

The Power Steering went out without any warning while driving about 40 mph in the snow. If someone older was driving the car, they would not have been able to control the car, most likely resulting in a serious accident. There has been a recall regarding this problem, but unfortunately, our car was manufactured in March and the recall only covers cars manufactured after September 1. Ford was called and we were told that they would not help with the costs to repair but to save our receipts just in case they expanded the recall. They have had many complaints. I guess someone has to die first before they expand the recall. VERY ANGRY AND FRUSTRATED BY FORD and our local dealer - SCHIMMER FORD!

- Meg K., Peru, US

Nov 102017

Escape LX

The power steering left the car as I was making a turn. There was no indication that I was going to lose steering of the vehicle and I was fortunate that no one was close behind me as I limped to the side of the road. If this incident would have happened to my wife I do not believe she would have been able to manage the situation and if it would have been an inexperienced teen driver the situation could have been tragic. The local dealer, where I purchased the car, passes the buck as quickly as it can. Ford seems to know about this problem but continues to deny that there is any fault with them.

I believe that this may be my last Ford product and my next purchase will be a RAV4 which I will park next to my wife's new black one.

- loadheboatbob@goac, LaCrosse, US

Mar 202017

Escape XLT V6

ford did a recall on my escape in 2014 for the power steering when there was nothing wrong. mar 20, 2017 my power steering quit working. now they say its already been recalled.

- Darlene R., Lethbridge, AB, Canada

Dec 172016

Escape 2.3L

Very scary and very unsafe.Lucky it happened in the right place

- 20austin06, Rumford, ME, USA

Nov 072016

Escape V6

Hello! I've had an occurrence with the Power Steering Assist going out in my 2010 Ford Escape. I just purchased this vehicle less than 30 days ago & haven't my the first payment on it. I found out there was a recall for this particular issue. My vehicle was "taken care of" with a system upgrade in August 2014. This latest incident is regarding the same issue & I'm in the process of trying to get Ford & the dealership to re-open the recall to fix it, since I've found that it's an ongoing issue, and the dealerships are saying that since the system upgrade was done, that it closes out the recall. The dealership quoted me about $700 total to fix it. I contact Ford Customer Service & they "opened an investigation" & then put it all on the dealership to fix it the right way. When I pressed Ford Customer Service on speaking to a supervisor, on the 3rd phone call, they pretty much told me that there wasn't one available at that time & they would probably tell me the same thing. After contacting the dealership back about the "investigation" they told me that I would need Ford to agree to fixing it....basically they are both putting the issue off on each other to fix the problem. The right way to fix this problem would be/would have been to replace the shaft torque sensor, not just a system upgrade on the recall. I have an uncle who works at a Ford plant who is also helping me to get this recall re-opened, due to the safety issues. I would like anyone to please feel free to comment as to if they've had any luck with getting Ford to actually take care of this issue when it has occurred for a 2nd or 3rd time. Thank You for your time & any assistance!

- Linda C., Louisville, KY, US

Jul 252016

Escape

Ford has not and did not remedy the Power Steering issue when they issued the recall for the power steering torque sensor. I had the recall "fix" in Oct 2014. However, Ford had a choice to either update the software (in the event the sensor code never tripped up to that day) or Replace the parts. And if the system failed after they "fixed" the issue with the software update, they are unable to re-open the recall and we are responsible for the repair. Ridiculous!

My husband was driving the car and upon turning in a busy intersection the power steering failed. Had I been driving, I am not sure I would have been able to continue turning and could have caused a major accident!

I have done my research. I see that numerous others are having the same problem. They had the recall fixed at a dealership only to have the system fail at a later date.

There is an investigation that is still pending on whether Ford actually fulfilled the recall properly. Clearly they did not and it will take either a serious accident, a series of accidents or numerous complaints before something will be done about this.

Please visit: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=XDVhXWBcyr3szgW1GqGf1MS1nCGNTBZnHkSkwJVpQm9Gh39MDcdW!1295816867?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=ESCAPE&stats=791080%2C4%2C4%2C1372%2C35%2CESCAPE&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2010&searchCriteria.make=FORD&searchCriteria.prod_ids=791080

File a complaint there and see the petition that has been filed, and its updates about this exact issue.

- ljk, Thornton, CO, USA

Jun 022016

Escape XLT 3.0L

Driving down the interstate and all of a sudden i can only drive straight, then it would "correct" its self then back to frozen in place. Happened for approximately 10 miles then I parked the POS.

- Bernard S., Richmond, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Escape XLT 2.5L

The torque sensor is failing. Steering wheel constantly shutters. Warning given at startup about electric assist steering failure. One dealer claims that he never heard of the electric assist issue. Ford says that they are sorry. There must be a lot of room under their carpet.

- Robert M., Sparta, WI, USA

Nov 252014

Escape XLT 2.5L

Recall item. Brought vehicle to dealer for recall and also some customer pay repairs. Had to tow home after they replaced torque sensor because now the wheel turns right with no effort while turning left takes normal effort. Service coordinator says they did as recall specified, they are done. Guess they should have replaced column. The way I understand the t.s. works, they must have had problems with the way it was wired relating to all of the position sensors. All I know is if they don't fix this, then I will have to pay to fix it, then sue them for the repair.

- John D., Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 052014

Escape XLT V4

Why wouldn't the vehicle give you a warning when your power steering wheel stops working. I could have crashed. I just got off the high way when my steering wheel locked. Lets just say I am lucky. This changed my mind from ever buying a Ford again. Not only am I having a problem with my steering wheel but also my transmission. I know things start to break down I just don't know why so soon with the Transmission. I feel like that it should at least last 10 yrs. Defiantly disappointed in this make of SUV.

- Nicole M., Medicine Hat, AB, canada

May 212014

Escape

On 5/21/14, my 2010 Ford Escape suddenly and without warning lost power steering. This became a scary situation as I could barely steer and had two near misses on the way home. It was especially frustrating because:

1- My car, which I bought new from a Ford dealer, is only four years old and has only 33,000 miles.

2- I've kept it well-maintained.

3- I use my car to drive my five-year old child.

4- The loss of steering is extremely dangerous and happened without any warning.

I called my local dealer the next morning to ask if it would be covered under warranty. They said no. They also did NOT tell me that the 2010 Ford Escape was about to be recalled for this exact problem. So I had it repaired at my local repair shop at a cost of over $800. Just days later, Ford makes its public announcement that Ford Escapes are being recalled for loss of power steering. When I called Ford headquarters, their customer service rep told me that Ford would reimburse me (through the local dealer) for the repair expense I had just incurred, since it was being recalled. I then call the Ford dealer and they tell me to call back in two weeks. I call back in two weeks and the Ford dealer tells me sorry, they won't reimburse me. At this point I'm irate as a customer. How does a well-maintained car with only 33,000 miles not steer? And how can Ford jerk me around like this on customer service, first promising to reimburse me for the repair work and then reneg on that? I've been a Ford customer for 14 years; sure am regretting that decision now.

- Scott D., Gainesville, VA, USA

Dec 242013

Escape

Really Suck, Just purchase a 2010 Ford Escape. Less then 50K mile. All of a sudden the steering failed in the middle of driving. Ran over a few curbing almost into oncoming traffic. Unable to steer because of difficulty.

- Michael C., Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 172014

Escape LX V4

Huge safety issue when you cannot steer vehicle out of roadway and there is oncoming traffic. Wondering if there is any Ford recall for this issue or if others have experienced the same issue and what the fix is.

- srustin, Orono, ME, USA