9.0

$1,330

Most common solutions:

2. replace steering rack (4 reports)
  3. restart car (2 reports)
  4. replace "sealed" power steering unit (1 reports)
  5. replace power steering rack and pinion (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

Jun 022018

Escape SE

Power Steering Assist Fault light started coming on about 8 weeks ago. It caused a loss of power steering as it is all electrical now and not mechanical. The fix was to turn the car off and "reset" the computer or electrical components. It happened about three times a week usually in reverse at low speeds when the car was first started. It happened about three times a week for 8 weeks. It finally went out while driving about 15-20 miles an hour in a turn. Lost power steering and had to muscle it into a parking lot. It is very difficult to steer even with wide turns without the power steering assist functioning. I consider it a hazardous condition that Ford should recall as it is an unsafe part that will cause accident or death if it suddenly fails at highway speeds. Ford is aware of the problem as they have recalled earlier model years of the Ford Escape but did not include the 2013 model. Similarly, they have recalled or extended the warranty on the Ford Explorer. Electrical Power Steering sounds like a brilliant idea until it fails without warning. I have been quoted the fix by two separate Ford Service Dealers as needing to replace the whole Electronic Gear Assembly for about $1,200 dollars for the part and out the door with labor at $1,800 dollars. They say you cannot just replace the sensor. I'm not sure if that is correct but just what I have been told by two independent Ford consultants.

- Dough P., Acworth, GA, US

Apr 062018

Escape I4

Driving our 2013 Ford Escape last Friday and suddenly the power steering went out. I was able to make it to the side of the road. The light came on on the dash. Restarted it after a few minutes and it was fine. Still called the service dept. at our local Ford dealership. They could fit me in in 6 days! Got there and they forgot to put me on the service schedule. After 90 minutes, the only thing they told me was that the entire power steering rack and pinion had to be replaced. It is electric, so it doesn't have power steering fluid. Quoted me $2000 for parts and labor. Not sure if this is accurate or not. It's been a full week and the car has only acted up the one time. Frustrated because other mechanics don't want to touch it because it is a lot of work to take the whole steering column out. They also said that since it is an electric unit, they can't fix it. The dealership has the proper equipment to reset and program it. After the research I've done on this situation, it seams that this should be a recall.

- Jennifer J., Proctorville, OH, US

Oct 262017

Escape SEL 2.0L

I was making a right hand turn in my 2013 Ford Escape (2.0L EcoBoost) and as I was approaching the apex of the turn, the electric power steering gave out. Luckily I was able to overcome the lack of power steering and avoid crashing into another car in the same intersection. I pulled over immediately and noticed the "Power Steering Assist Failure" message appear on the dash. I assessed the situation and decided it was best to have the vehicle towed back to my residence. When I was parking the Escape in my garage, after being towed, I started it up and the "Power Steering Assist Failure" message had disappeared and I was able to easily turn the wheels. The car has sat in the garage the last couple of days because I am scared to take it out on the road only to have it happen again with a much worse result.

I was very disappointed to see that the Ford recall issued for this exact same covers to 2013 Ford Explorer but not the Escape, as they were built with the same parts. From the research I have read, it is not an easy fix that I can do myself so my only choice is to pay Ford to fix a problem they should be fixing themselves.

- Katy T., Kentfield, US

Jul 222017

Escape SEL 2.0L Turbo

Seems like it should be a safety recall. Intermittent power steering failure occurred about three times. Twice at start up and once while driving at low speeds. Was able to pull over safely for now. restarting the car seems to clear the error out. Very worried seems to be a big deal....please get them to recall before someone get injured or killed.

- sdc83, Harvest, US

Sep 062017

Escape SEL

The power steering failed. This failure caused a recall of Escapes from 2009 to 2011. I have exactly the same problem. When I called the dealership I was told (rudely) there is no recall... and they just blew me off, a common problem with this dealership.

- lumindanu, Dixon, US

Aug 022017

Escape SEL 1.6L

Parked the car one evening. An hour later, started it, no power steering. There is a recall for this problem for 3008-2011 model years. I'm hoping it will be expanded to cover 2013.

- kd8fqm, Stem, US

May 012017

Escape SEL 3.2L

This is obviously a Ford issue and should be covered by Ford. the steering rack is $1,000 not including labor.

- schupner, Westtown, US

Mar 252017

Escape 4 cyl

2013 Ford Escape - "steering assist fault/service required". Happened when I was leaving for work. Couldn't turn the steering wheel (takes so much effort to just park it) so I went back in the garage and drove my pickup. It will have to be towed to Ford as it would be too dangerous to drive it. Could have been very nasty if it happened on the road...

- vbarz, Tamuning, Guam

Jan 162017

Escape SE 2.0L Ecoboost

Abrupt total failure of power steering. Likely electronics failure, but electrical components are in sealed unit with the power steering mechanics and I was told it was therefore unserviceable. (Sealed unit also means that there was nothing that I, as an owner, could do to maintain the component to try and ensure longevity). I was told that there were only 4 or 5 replacement units available in the whole country. (Maybe because so many power steering units are failing?).

Took a week for the dealer to get the part. Repair cost $1,700. FoMoCo refused to provide ANY assistance. (The best FoMoCo could offer was "save your receipts in case there is ever a recall." I was also reminded that there is yet another outstanding recall on the car- side door latch- for which there apparently are no parts available yet. So helpful . . . .)

This issue, especially combined with the many recalls this vehicle has had, has soured me on Ford forever. Total cost of ownership balloons when one factors in unanticipated $1,700 repairs.

Although one could say that such an expensive component failure could happen with any make car, bottom-line is that I have owned many cars over a lifetime and it has never happened before.

- Stephen R., Vero Beach, FL, USA

Feb 132017

Escape S 4 cyl

Driving down road, power steering failure, no warning! Steering assist warning came on. Called Ford, they said no recall on this problem, only 2008 to 2011 for Ford Escape, but 2013 Ford Explorer has recall for this. I only have 28,700 miles on my vehicle! This should not have happened! Please, Ford, put out a recall on this! I also have a recall on this car for side door latch they tell me, but I received NO letter on it!

- Cynthia M., Rapid City, MI, USA

Sep 122016

Escape Titanimum 2.0L

2013 Ford Escape lost power steering twice on 9/12/16 with the "Steering Assist Fault" message in the middle of driving. 1st time happened 2 minutes after start while turning out of the driveway. 2nd one happened 10 minutes after start while driving. If this happens during driving it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!! You lose control of the vehicle. My wife would have crashed for sure. They say it has a manual reversion to drive without power steering but it is not the same. I have driven cars without power steering and this is way harder.

The rack and pinion had problems and was replaced on 8/5/15 at 23972 miles. It has gone out again on 9/12/16 at 38000 miles. Now ford is sayings it not covered under warranty even thought this is clearly a faulty system to have gone out twice in less than 3 years and 38000 miles. This is a safety issue for sure and I have no doubt will lead to a recall or lawsuit.

- Chris S., Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 262015

Escape ES

I bought this car new on 6/16/2013. I've had it for 2 year 4 months and 10 days when this happened. I started the car and the steering assist alert can you and I couldn't turn the wheel at all. I shut the car off and waited a few minutes to restart. Once I restarted the car the alert did not appear but the wheel still would not turn (electric steering at its best). After a few more minutes of sitting idle I was able to turn the wheel.

I called the dealership and they got me in right away. I was told that the steering rack needed replaced on my 2 year 4 months and 10 day old car. I asked why I should have to pay for this and it was because I was over my 36K limit. I was only charged $100 because after all the recall issues Ford sent a letter with 3 options for all my and everyone else's issues last year. I was smart and chose the extended warranty and I hope everyone else did as well. I was given Ford's number 800-392-3673 (in case you need it) to call. A very nice lady answered and I voiced my issues to her. I was told that a case would be opened in my name and everything was noted in the account. I asked what will be done or if anyone would call me back? I was told that I may receive a letter in the mail. I told her to add if this happened while I was driving or worse my teenage son was that I would sue the sh*t out of Ford. I'm waiting for the response which I doubt I'll get.

I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN. WORST CAR I EVER OWNED. I you own an Escape please watch for this very dangerous issue.

- Ron F., Wilmington, DE, USA

May 222015

Escape SEL 3.2L

I have lost power steering in my Escape a couple of times. I had to refer to the manual to see if it was mentioned in it, and it was!! I did as it said to "restart" my vehicle. The power steering returned. Thankfully this has not happened "while" I am driving down the street/road.

- specialkr1, Thornton, USA

Sep 082015

Escape SEL 4cy Turbo

Buy 2013 Escape new body style thinking "newer is better" than 2012 and back. What a terrible mistake. I've never had this new a model power steering lock like this. No one can drive with this problem. Ford is having a lot of problems with this, but guess what- no recall. Why is Ford sticking so many customers with so many cars giving major problems. Ford needs to recall this before people get killed. Just wait till somebody gets killed and Ford will get their butts sued off. That's whats going to happen.

- ronniebagwell, Greenwood, SC, USA

Aug 222015

Escape

After traveling on a 5 hour round trip at an average speed of 75 mph, I was but 15 miles from home. I pulled into a fuel station and fueled up. Started the vehicle and proceeded to pull away from the island and had NO POWER STEERING!!! Just like that it shut down. After restarting the engine several times I finally received the message....steering assist fault....I had 3 grand children with me and I know it was in God's hands that it shut down when it did. If I had been at a rate of 75 mph and all of a sudden NO STEERING.....I cringe at the thought of 'what if'. No warning of any kind? I have always been a Ford customer and this is not good....not good at all. I purchased the vehicle 2013 model in March of 2015 and only have 47,000 miles on it. I was so proud to be driving the nicest vehicle I have ever bought. Ford needs to step up and address this problem before there is a serious accident with injuries or death involved.

- darlenems, Richton, MS, USA

Aug 162015

Escape 1.6L

While driving at 70mph on the highway the "Power Assist Failure" message popped up on dash message center. At the same time the power steering completely failed just as it needed to exit the highway. The vehicle steering performance was substantially degraded at highway speeds. As I came to a stop at the end of the exit ramp and turned the car off and then on again hoping this situation would clear, it remained. Fortunately I was only a mile from home at this point and was able to make it home using sheer brute force to steer at this point. Had this happened while my daughter or another less experienced driver was behind the wheel this could have turned tragic very quickly.

The fact that Ford has number recalls for this type of situation with the previous model of this vehicle leads me to believe this needs to be taken care of for this 2013 model as well. Clearly Ford needs to address the technology they are using for their Electronic Power Assisted Steering as this seems to be a recurrent theme with their SUVs for several years running now.

Next time the driver may not be so lucky... betting the first person that dies from this will cost a heck of a lot more for Ford than recalling this clear defect.

- Tobin A., Wichita, KS, USA