Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Expedition:

Dec 172017

Expedition

I was driving on a highway in my Expedition and I went to disingage my cruise control and my engine just shut off it's been 4 weeks now and I can¿T get anyone to tell me what's wrong. My vehicle is a no crank no start now

- Winslow, AZ, USA

Dec 242017

Expedition

Throttle feels like its sticking. The breaks feel like they get harder the longer you drive or use them. Its been extremely cold the last few weeks (air temp of -28F lows to -3F for highs). You let off the break from a stop sign or stop light and it will suddenly accerlerate by itself. Seems to happen anytime after 40mph, even if you slow back down to 10-15mph it will accelerate back up on its own, up to as fast as 65mph!) I need to downshift and ride brakes (which are hard as a rock!!!) to keep it from excelling though town and to try to keep the rpms at bay. When coming to a stop and turning its hard to steer and it makes jumpy/jerky movements forward when brakes are applied. When vehicle comes to a stop the rpms skyrocket until you shut down the engine. If you havn¿T given it enough time before you start it again, the engine and rpms soar up again. Things we¿ve tried with no luck are, disengaging the cruise control, replacing the spring under hood where the throttle cable is. Thought maybe it was stretched and not depressing fully to alow deceleration. After that we replaced the throttle body itself. Again, no luck on test drive. You can hear a click/ping in the pedal and see it come up once truck is in park, give it time. Pedal seems to be partially depressed and there is play. Have tried to stick foot under the pedal to try and get it to disenge. Worked the first few times that's also why thought it was the spring. No longer works to do that. Can seem to hear a difference either in motor or trany, acting as if it's working harder when it seems to take control of itself. Started happening 12-24-17. Been to the shop many times with no answers as to why this is happening. It's very scary and dangerous! after reading about all the others this is happened to its hard to imagine that there hasn¿T been a recall or at the very least an answer yet!

- Brainerd, MN, USA

Jan 102017

Expedition

The intake manifold needs to be replaced my mechanic told me and it leaks anti

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Dec 072016

Expedition

My vehicle was parked in the driveway and I was alerted by my dogs barking. I opened my garage door to see the entire engine compartment on fire. The fire was so intense that everything under the hood had melted.the fire marshals said the alternator cause

- Cameron, NC, USA

Nov 242016

Expedition

Driving down the road at about 30mph and suddenly my engine sounded like it threw a rod. My husband looked at it and found a spark plug blew out of the motor. This seems to be an ongoing issue that Ford refuses to acknowledge. Something needs to be done.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 292015

Expedition

The vehicle was parked in a store parking lot, not running/ignition off, and it caught fire under the hood near the brake master cylinder. The fire damaged everything in the upper portion of the engine compartment, the hood, the cowling and the grill. Probably not repairable.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Sep 232015

Expedition

#7 spark plug blew out destroying the coil on plug with it. All the threads are stripped out and theres no way to put a new plug in it. Was lucky I didn't have an engine fire from fuel venting out of spark plug hole. This is a Triton 5.4L

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Aug 292015

Expedition

Vehicle caught fire around 10:25 pm. Vehicle was park and cold since the last time it was used was around 1:00 pm the same day. My wife got home and was parking her car a sudenly saw the Ford Expedition caching fire and flames coming out of the enginge compartment. Vehicle is total there are no possibility of repair.

- Rincon, PR, USA

May 152013

Expedition

While driving this Expedition I began noticing strange intermittant electrical behavior like the windshield wipers not working, radio turning off, windshield wash light blinking, and 4X4 light blinking. Several times in the middle of the night I'd notice that the headlights would come on on their own. Also the air ride would turn on and off while the car was off, and the heater fan would also come on. This would kill the battery. Several times while driving the 4X4 would turn on in the low gear making it difficult to maneuver. On several occasions the starter would turn on while the car was already running. I replaced the GEM module and had the windshield resealed several times, but after just a few months the problems would recur. The final nail in the coffin was when the starter kicked on while running and it took a minute to get the car safely stopped. I could smell smoke from the burned up starter motor. The Expedition has sat for 1.5 years as I am unable to sell it and am unwilling to put any additional money to fix this lemon.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

Mar 182015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a loud popping noise was heard coming from the engine along with the odor of fuel inside the vehicle. The contact discovered that the coil on plug to the engine was out of position and a spark plug had popped out of the engine head. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Feb 112014

Expedition 8-cyl

Just stopped at stop light, pulled away and heard a small popping noise, slowed down to turn corner to try to pull over and look and vehicle started popping like a popcorn popper. Thought it was muffler(s). Got under car to look nothing wrong there, proceeded to go back home. ( less than 5 blocks away) driving on (coasting) only using gas pedal to make it into driveway. Got under hood and seen spark plug laying on engine, coil looing like it had caught fire. Replaced wire, plug and put a helix coil on it. Drove for about a month. Same thing happened again. Had mechanic "rethread" the head and use "sleeve". this lasted about another month. Had to replace it 3 more times (always the same plug that popped out) until August 2 when it didn't even make it out of my driveway before it popped again. Now it is sitting in my driveway, a 5100 pound "lawn ornament" not looking forward to replacing the head.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jul 022012

Expedition

Exhaust manifolds leaking and fumes entering vehicle.

- Northfield, NJ, USA

Nov 222012

Expedition 8-cyl

My 2000 Ford Expedition will not stay in park. And when it is in park after a couple minutes it will just go backwards. My Ford has already hit a parked vehicle. I was warming her up. I got out to shut my back hatch it just took off backwards while still in park and hit another vehicle. I tried jumping in the my truck put was dragged and unable to stop it. I don't feel safe but have no choice but to deal with this issue. Many mechanics looked at it said they don't know what's causing the problem.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 022013

Expedition 8-cyl

It was Saturday morning and I was taking my daughter shopping for some school clothes, driving down ell T grasso blvd going to look for the interstate 95 driving 20 mph I hear this loud pop and my daughter screams and smoke comes out of the hood, and this loud noise from the engine I had no other choice but to pull over in heavy traffic open the hood and see my spark plug out of the engine never seen this happen before I was stuck there for about 3 hours until family members came and help this is my 2nd Ford Expedition but after reading this is a common problem I will never by another Ford again, I just think and wonder what would had happen if I was in the interstate 95 doing 55mph I probably wouldn't be writing this right, now thank god my daughter and me never made it to the interstate 95.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Oct 102013

Spark plug blow out.

- Clinton, WA, USA

Aug 242013

Expedition 8-cyl

After an approximate 30 minute drive, vehicle was parked with the ignition off and key removed from vehicle. While unattended, the vehicle caught fire and burned completely to the ground. The vehicle was completely destroyed and is a total loss. Witnesses reported smelling a strong electrical smell before fire was observed, and stated that flames and smoke were first observed coming from under the hood in the engine compartment. The vehicle was not parked near combustible materials such as dry grass, etc. The outside temperature was approximately 70 degrees.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Aug 202010

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would shake lunge and stall. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the fuel pump would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued to recur. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic several times and various sensors were replaced but, to no avail. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 120,000...updated 10-21-13 the consumer stated the vehicle would shutdown while driving. Steering column became hard to turn. Updated 10/25/2013

- Fort Valley, GA, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition 8-cyl

On June 3, 2013 my 2000 Ford Expedition that I had just purchased 7 days prior exploded in my driveway after being parked for 2hrs. The fire also caught our 2008 cobalt ablaze and caused significant damage to the property that both vehicles were parked at. As of right now there has not been a cause of the fire determined but I did find a recall notice on the Expedition that was issued in 2005 from Ford. Apparently this recall effected the speed control system that led to an electrical fire in the motor compartment causing these explosions. I was never told of this recall from the previous owner who is a Ford employee and he swears that he was never sent any recall letters from Ford in regards to this problem.

- Whitmore Lk, MI, USA

Mar 112013

Expedition 8-cyl

Driving to town motor backfired and stalled, speed was about 5 mph. No power steering at the time. Lucky I was pulling up to a traffic light. Mechanic said #4 spark plug blew out of the engine block damaging coil pack and fuel injector. Just bought vehicle not to long ago and now have to spend a small fortune to repair a clear design flaw by Ford Motor Company. They are not going to recall until they are required to. So much for made in usa quality. Now I just hope the vehicle does not catch fire sitting in my driveway!

- Coldspring, TX, USA

Feb 232013

Expedition

I was returning home from a family trip going the posted interstate speed limit of 65 mph when I heard a loud popping noise that sounded like a major leak had just occurred. When I pulled over to check out the problem I discovered the rear spark plug on the passenger side had ejected itself destroying the threads that hold it in the cylinder head and also destroying the heli coil pack that sits on top of the spark plug. I have never filed a complaint or safety report on any vehicle I have owned. This time the only reason I am filing a report is due to the frequency this problem seems to have on Ford Triton motors. It seems excessive and upon very little investigating on my part I have found that every person I have talked to about it either owns a vehicle with the said motors in them and have experienced this problem on multiple occasions, or is someone who knows a person who has experienced this issue. I am a dedicated and loyal Ford owner and always will be, however I also believe that when a problem occurs with such frequency that they should be required to step up and make good on issues that clearly have been going on for well over a decade at this point in time.

- Sparks, NV, USA