Oct 222008

Explorer

Door agar light. All the doors will be shut and while driving the door ajar light and beeping noise will come one. Which results also in the interior lights to flicker on and off. It does it everyday and keeps going till the veh is in part. Also when the car is parked the lights will come on and off, I cant even lock my doors anymore.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Mar 152008

Explorer

When I tried to remove my key from the ignition, the entire ignition cylinder came out!! my car had to be towed and have a new cylinder installed! a year later, it happened again!!! so I have had to replace my Ford ignition cylinder twice and my car only has 60,000 miles on it now---so probably had only about 40,000 miles the first time it happened and 50,000 the second time. Also-- now my fuel gauge says empty all the time, even after I just filled it with gas! and it's too expensive to fix! I did get the driver seatbelt fixed, because it didn't tighten, but now it's too hard to pull out and use! lastly, both inside mirror covers have just cracked off when lifting open, and I can't afford to replace both of the entire visors! we have 3 Ford and this is the only one that's ever had problems. Dates are spread out so it's too hard to complete that part of the form below.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 122009

Explorer

2002 Explorer started out with alot of electrical problems and now depending on how much you push in the gas pedal the transmission starts slipping. Just like alot of other complaints. Had some similar trouble with it about 2 years ago dealer said had to wait till it got worse to find exact problem.

- South Fork, PA, USA

Mar 292009

Explorer

Approached stop sign at a slow rate of speed - basically coasting 30 - 40 feet from a driveway, as the brakes were applied, the engine started to rev up, liken to the cruise control engaging, and brakes could not restrain vehicle and it was basically pushed through the stop sign and collided with an oncoming vehicle, there was insufficient time to put the vehicle in neutral or turn off the engine, this was the first time this ever happened, vehicle was in good condition and mechanically well maintained, the weather was clear and the roads were dry, the vehicle was taken to a dealership to have on-board computer read - no error codes were noted, as a result of the accident - the vehicle was totaled.

- Painter, VA, USA

Jan 032009

Explorer

Severe cracks in back window housing. Crack is so severe, consideration of window falling out is possible. Information panel registers door ajar which consequently flashes internal lights, re-locks doors, sets warning bells to go off. Often, door ajar does not register, but electric locks lock re-lock and lock many times with warning bells going off, interior lights flickering, many times in one instance. All activities happen intermittently, without cause or reason causing severe distraction to driver. Theft alarm goes off after vehicle has been locked several hours; for no apparent reason. When unlocked and re-locked, continues to go off intermittently. I believe the rear window housing break is the root of all this activity.

- Redding, CA, USA

Nov 202008

Explorer

Have engine problem warranty will not cover because dealer put back odometer.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Dec 112008

Explorer

Ford Explorer O/D flashing and check transmission coming on it was at the Ford dealer for 3 weeks they said it was my PCM and now they are saying it a wiring problem but my car is doing the same thing it was before I took it to them.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 022005

Explorer

It started very early after buying the 2002 Ford Explorer...electrical prob..couldn't get veh started...100 miles away from home dealership....towed to closest Ford dealership...fixed; or so we thought. Same thing happened a week later. Home dealership advised us that the other dealership installed the wrong part and it could have caused life-threatening problems....we contacted the other dealership and advised them what our home dealership said...of course the dealership denied this...anyway...home dealership installed new part...veh ok....then wheel bearings had to be replaced in front 1st left side-then right. (this was after the rear end was replaced) boy, was that a major fight with the home dealership! now! the transmission is gone!!!!! isn't there something we can do" Ford has been using defective parts!!!!and now asking for government money??"!!!!Ford should be paying for this!

- Hamptonville, NC, USA

Oct 162008

Explorer

Battery died on 2002 Ford Explorer. Installed new battery and 4 wheel drive module quit working. Bought new part for $202. Fixed problem with new part. Obviously the realized the defect and refuse to do recall.

- Lisle, NY, USA

Aug 092008

Explorer

Reading the forums and many people have been having problems with their Explorer 4X4. I have the same problem. Seems like if you disconnect the battery or your battery dies so does your control module for the 4X4. Mine stopped working when that happened. That is when my 4X4 selector switch lights stopped working and my 4X4 was not engaging. Seems like Ford needs to recall this part. I got a new control module and it started working again. Could be dangerous in winter time for this type of vehicle to have no 4X4.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

May 122007

Explorer

Door ajar constantly on. Interior dome light front and cargo come on and off for minutes at a time. Beeps and chimes sporadically for no given time or reason while driving, stopping, turning or any other action. A distraction to driving; especially dome lights at night and beeps/chimes which can also interfere with radio sound output and attention. Has been in and out of dealer with no result. Have provided other online complaints to service manager regarding same issue with no result.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Jun 302008

Explorer 4WD

Purchased a 2002 Ford exp eddie bauer ed used with 35,000 miles. Transmission had to be repaired within 3 weeks due to 4WD malfunction covered by warranty. Passenger side window motor assembly has been replaced once, and window regulator has been replaced once, and is in need of a second replacement. Took to local dealership and was told window was not meant to be lowered halfway. The rear hatch has also cracked completely down from window to lower panel. Dealership will not acknowledge issues with this occurring, but upon further research have found this to be a common problem with this vehicle make and model. Overdrive light blinks continuously and dealership reports it to be a malfunctioning electrical switch repair cost at around $400. Have continued to drive vehicle, but will no longer drive vehicle after discovering that this is a precursor to transmission failure. May possibly trade-in this vehicle and lose monetary value for private sale. Will not be responsible for selling this vehicle to a private party and risk injury to next owner. Shame on Ford for not taking care of their customers.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jan 032007

Explorer

My dashboard has digital mileage/ temp and trip....however, since I got the SUV in December of 2007, the cluster that shows that information has not been up. The dealership I bought the SUV from refused to have it fixed and I need to know what I can do without spending alot of money.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 072008

Explorer

Parked my SUV in the driveway after a short trip and the horn began to blow. As I investigated the noise I opened my door to find smoke rolling out uncontrollably. I ran inside to call 911, by the time I hung up the phone my entire truck was engulfed with flames. This just happened today, so I do not know what will be done about it. But this was caused by some defect in the vehicle.

- Perry, MI, USA

Jun 072008

Explorer

Progressively worse, starting in June 08. Door ajar light comes on randomly when driving, plus the interior lights come on and off (flicker, dangerous if driving at night), bells go on/off, and the doors lock and unlock (never sure which they are). If not driving, the alarm goes off randomly.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

Mar 262008

Explorer 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, a couple weeks ago I went to open the back lift glass, and the window fell, and combustion in thousands of little pieces, right in my face! I have pictures, anyway I proceeded to take my vehicle to Ford Motor Company in horseheads, NY, they replaced the window due to the explosion, and I have had my truck back there 4 times because they wired it wrong, and they refuse to fix this problem, if my wiring from the back windshield to the dash of my truck does not get fixed I am sorry to say that I will be forced to obtain an attorney for Ford! please help!!!!!!

- Elmira Heights, NY, USA

Oct 132007

Explorer 8-cyl

Bought the car used in Sept. 2007. A month and a half later, had to replace rear passenger wheel bearing. A month after that, we had to replace the driver side rear wheel bearing. Driver door window motor went a week after the wheel bearings. ABS light is on. Also had to replace two coils in the electrical unit. Put approximately $3,000 into car since purchase in less than eight months.

- Elderton, PA, USA

Mar 152008

Explorer 6-cyl

Door ajar light stays on and causes dome lights to flash on and off and chime while driving. Car alarm goes off randomly for no apparent reason. Have talk to Ford they tell me I need to bring it in while this is all happening so they can figure out what's going on. Car never seems to do it at a time I can take it in.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Sep 012007

Explorer 4-cyl

At 110,000 miles both rear passenger windows stopped working. A trip to the dealer said both windows needed new cables and it would cost $1,000. Windows won't go up or down.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 222007

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Ford Explorer caught fire. Consumer stated that the vehicle caught fire while his mother was visiting his sister in a different state. No attempt was made to repair her vehicle and rental cost them $600 out of pocket. Prior to the fire, the consumer asked the mechanic to inspect the vehicle, because warning lights were coming on and going off intermittently. The consumer had a list of documentation relating to electrical issues. The vehicle had to get a jump several times, the vehicle would hesitate when first starting up. The brake lights were stuck, the dealer replaced the brake pedal switch. The cruise control was inoperable so the dealer replaced the brake light switch. The alternator and wheel bearings were replaced.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA