Most common solutions:

1. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (120 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Apr 012012

Explorer LX 4.6L V6

click to see larger images

o/d light is blinking

I have a 2002 ford explorer with the slipping trany, blinking o/d light, check engine light, problem code P0745 problem. Which is the pressure control switch solenoid. so I replaced the solenoid pack inside the trany, and I still have the same problem? So what do I do now?

- , Broomfield, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Explorer XLT 4.6L V6

O/D light blinks continuosly. Can't get it to cut off despite multiple attempts

- , Lexington, NC, USA

May 072012

Explorer Limited V8

2002 Ford Explorer Limited with the 4.6L V8. Recently paid it off after buying it used 6 years ago. Was just planning on trading it in or selling it to get something bigger for my growing family. 122,000 miles and blinking OD off light, and check transmission message. Now i find out its worthless and it's not worth fixing. I guess my family wont be going anywhere for a while, until I can afford something new. I wont be looking at any Fords.

- , Otis Orchards, WA, USA

Apr 162012

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I bought my 2002 Ford explorer on July 16, 2011. On April 14, 2012 my wife was driving the car, while driving she had called and told me that something was wrong and that the car would not go over 20 MPH. She also said that the car would rev up to 4-6 RPMS but would still stay under 20 MPH. I am highly upset with this issue. It is a VERY big safety issue, if my wife was driving and her car would have died on the freeway with everyone going at least 60 MPH she could have gotten killed. On April 16, 2012 I drove the car down to the nearest Ford dealership which was 10 minutes away, which really took us at least a half hour to get to. When I was there they told me they could not diagnose my vehicle unless I paid them $80.00 +tax. I then called the dealership, Mike Scarff Subaru of Auburn, where I purchased the car. They gave me a loaner to drive while they diagnosed the issue and it ended up being so severe that it took them until April 20, 2012. When I got a call back from them they told me that it was something internal in the transmission and that they needed the rental car back by April 22, 2012. The dealership let me keep my Explorer on their lot until the following Wednesday, April 25, 2012 I than had to tow the Explorer to our Grandparents house. After getting the car back to the house I started doing my research on Explorers that are the same year as mine and found that out of 1,273 complaints and out of those complaints 377 of them were transmission failure and 335 of them were the O/D light blinking. Which both are problems that I am having with my Explorer. While looking further into this issue I also found out that 1 out of 10 Ford Explorers will have a transmission failure. This should be a issue that should have a recall on it. This is rediculous and I will be taking this issue further than just writing this compliant...

- , Milton, WA, USA

Apr 032012

Explorer Regulat Dont Know

Hopefully this problem wont be a big one -- working on a solution and will update if it works - - just prayin now it will

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 052012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

All the same problems w/this Explorer - cracked back panel, 4 wheel drive not working, clicking noise coming from back (seems to have something to do w/rear heat a/c control), and now tranny crapping out. My CHEVY Blazer had twice the mileage and never a problem w/ tranny or anything else - CHEVY Suburban almost 300K, no problems. Dealer quotes me $4100 for reman install to OEM specs?! OEM specs are obviously a complete and utter failure.

- , Snowflake, AZ, USA

Mar 302012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

same as the rest, flashing od light, tranny slipping, wont shift from 2-3. had to nurse home. Codes P0715. 720, 775. been acting up the whole time i owned for 2.5 years.

- , Suisun, CA, USA

Mar 202012

I had my brother-in-law call me about a month ago telling me that his transmission went out and all the signs he saw when it happened. He said he looked online and saw tons of posts about transmissions on 2002 Explorers going out and he told me to watch out for the same thing. Low and behold I am driving today (3-20-12) and my o/d light starts blinking. In town I had a rough time shifting gears from 1 to 2. Ford really needs to recall these transmissions because there is a fatal flaw here.

- , Marshall, MN, USA

Mar 172012

Explorer Limited 4.0L

I had recently bought this car, It had 157000 miles on it. I drove the explorer home, everything worked fine. The next day I was driving to work and after about 5 miles the o/d off light started flashing and the check transmission message appeared. It still shifts fine and works ok, but after reading some comments I believe I made a bad purchase. I really wish I would have read up a bit more before buying. Now I see why the previous owner traded it in. Hope some one comes up with a solution in the near future.

- , Newtown, WV, USA

Jan 312012

Explorer LS

Driving the vehicle, 1st thing I notice was the OD light flickering. Paying greater attention to the way the car was running I did notice that the car did shift a little hard

from 1st to 2nd. This vehcile also has a problem with the differential which the mechanic also said was a problem with Ford Explorer's also.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Feb 242012

Explorer V8

I've owned this Explorer for 4 years now and I've had transmission/rear axle noise problems the entire time I've owned the vehicle. When I bought it, it had 98, 000 miles. It took me to 101,000 miles before I found out the problem! Ford should have recalled the vehicle in 2003-2004!

- , East Point, GA, USA

Mar 092012

Explorer XLT V6

Another vicitm of the 2002 Ford explorer transmission problem. The transmission started slipping around 75,000 miles. It would have trouble shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear and the o/d light would blink. took it in and sure enough needed a complete transmission rebuild. The shop even offered a better rebuild for a couple of hundred dollars more. So at $2200 I thought I wouldn't have this problem. Guess I was mistaken. I am now at about 147,000 and the transmission hesitates when I stop at a light sometimes. If I get up above 60 mph and incline at all, the o/d light starts flashing. I turn it off and the o/d light doesn't come back on until I repeat the last thing. Ford Motor Company needs to recall all 2002 ford explorers and replace the transmission with a reliable one, or they need to rebuild and figure out how to stop this problem from happening again.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Feb 102012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Overall I like the Explorer. We are a loyal Ford family. Have purchased 9 new fords over the years. Not to mention a couple of used ones, like this Explorer. When the o/d light started blinking, I investigated it over the web......I am not liking what I am hearing from so many people.

I too think Ford should step up to the plate and recall this transmission.

- , Kannapolis, NC, USA

Feb 252012

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

this particular problem witht this ford explorer its not uncommon, I have talk to people they had this same problems with their transmission, ford has to take responsibility and repair our vehicles, I will never again buy another ford ......

- , Moline, Lllinois, USA

Jan 132012

Explorer ES 4.0L V6

- , Prince George, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Explorer XLS

Transmission o/d light blinks fast, hard to shift from first to second gear... Ford needs to recall this problem... 100k and it has transmission problems come on FORD!

- , Sioux City, IA, USA

Jun 212011

I am unemployed, and bought this car with the $3700 that my ex husband gave me after his settlement from workmans comp. I do not have any money to fix this, and I have a elderly mother that depends on me, and I need this car to find a job. Its just frustrating. Never have I had this problem with fords. If I new the trans was built this way and no dipstick, I would have bought the 2000 ford explorer instead. I have always loved ford, defended ford, and driven a ford for the past 19 years.

- , Moore, OK, USA

Sep 062011

Explorer XLT V6

o/d light started blinking and also noticed hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd - problem just appeared out of nowhere yesterday.

Note, this is the 2nd time this car has needed transmission work - also needed transmission work at 59000 miles in August 2007

Since I went straight to dealer close by I just need the solenoid replaced but it is almost $900. I will be starting to look for a replacement car now.

I have liked this car overall, in spite of needing repairs here and there, but the 2002 Explorers definitely have problems with their transmission that indicates design or manufacturing flaws. I feel Ford should be recalling them or providing a warranty on any transmission repairs they do.

This car is a money pit!

- , Tustin, CA, USA

Jan 252012

Explorer XLS 4.0L

had the engine go (timer tensior went) back in sept of 2011, now this. cant catch a break with ford. 1st and last time I buy a ford. talked to my mechanic and he knew the problem right away, but I cant get there until tuesday...Hope the car holds up til then. Dont have another $3000 and cant afford another car payment....stuck between the rock and a hard place...have to go into debt even more i guess

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 052012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

this explorer giving sow most problem some time i want to burn the truck........ford suck..!

- , Orlando, FL, USA