7.9

Most common solutions:

1. replace something under the dash (13 reports)
  3. do not turn hot/cold selection to the extreme hot or cold po (2 reports)
  4. replace blender door (1 reports)

Jan 122012

Explorer

Ford wanted to charge $1130 to fix. I bought the parts & had a garage fix it.

- , Highlands Ranch, TX, USA

Jul 012008

Explorer LS 4.0L

AC has never worked right with alot of air blowing to the floor board. Fan on High and loud but not much air pressure coming out vents. Have not repaired yet. I have read it is is a faulty blend door and a big pain to repair.

- , Watauga, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer 4.0L V6

Not worth the repair cost FORD wants to charge ($800.00 plus) other quotes $600.00 from repair shops and could happen again. Pure Junk FORDS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Pawtucket, RI, USA

Sep 012011

Explorer XLT V6

Bought a 2004 ford explorer brand new off the lot. Not sure how in 2011 the Heat is not working properly. 1st the AC went out in the back and now the heat went out in the front. Only after googling the problem I found that that there is a small lever that needs to move in order to let the heat come out. SO instead of paying to have the part fixed I continued to do this and now the dag on Glove box door is completely off the hinges. Too many plastic parts in Fords products!

- , Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

May 152012

Explorer

My blend door started clicking in the Spring this year, though it was stuck on A/C so I left it for several months while dreading having to spend hundreds of dollars to eventually have it fixed. Then I looked on YouTube and there is a guy whom video taped how to fix the problem. I bought an aftermarket blend door (Dorman) on RockAuto.com (definitely not buying Ford's defective part given that they haven't fixed it in years and knowing they have a problem) for around $45 and installed it myself yesterday. It took me about 5 hours to fix but it works perfectly now. I looked at the old part and a few plastic teeth on the gear broke off which caused the problem. It's ridiculous that Ford won't fix this problem.

- , Fort Salonga, New York, USA

Nov 122010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Of course...the heat craps out when the weather starts to get really cold. Only in the front...yet the rear heat works fine. Froze my butt off while driving...yet...the kids in the back are sweating!! Couldn't drive it if it was snowing or raining...had no windshield defrost!! First...the ac/heat would make a clicking noise...thought it was switch on the dash. But...NOOOOO. Then it would only work on Max Blower...then only COLD air. It was an extreme PAIN IN THE ASS!! Thought it was the thermostat..nope. The blower...nope. It was the blend/door switch. Pain to fix. And that was the beginning of MANY more problems!

- , Litchfield, NH, USA

Oct 012009

Explorer V6

Outside air comes in from the glove box area. In winter, the front seat passenger must wrap blankets around his/her legs. Low volume of air flow from console vents even when fan is on high and sounds like it should be pushing a lot of air. AC will no longer adequately cool off interior. Same for the heater.

Owned nothing but Fords since 1970 but this is the last one. Plus the Ford dealership where I bought it (no longer in business) bent me over good regarding a 36,000 mile service contract I was stupid enough to buy. They all lit up a smoke after they finished with me on that one and didn't even kiss me.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

May 062010

Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L V6

It"s really cold and you have to bundle up to take a ride. We had a snow storm this past weekend 01/10/2011 in Spartanburg,S.C. Did fine in the snow but snow switched to freezing rain while at mom and dad's. Had to stop on side of road four times returning home to scrap ice off windshield. What a hassle C.Lacey Spartanburg,S.C. Come on Ford Motor Co. let's step up to the plate and fix these problem's. By the way this vehicle has the cracked rear panel.

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Nov 222010

Explorer XLT V6

I discovered my defrost no longer putting out heat about a week ago. My initial reaction was to research the web and see if it was a trivial option to fix. (I spent my four years of High School in Automotive-although I never pursued it as a career) After a bit of googling, I realize the problem. A freaking PLASTIC vent door?

I have a coworker that worked for Ford Corporate, he owns a 2003 Explorer. He pushed a few problems (prob posted on here) thru and had FMC pick up the tab. They know this is a problem. I hope its a warm Indiana winter since I don't have the $$ to have this repaired.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 082010

Explorer LX V6

The problem was fine as long as I never used the air, but one day my hubby decided we were all hot. I yelled "No don't move that I'll never get it back". He yelled back "I'll be able to get it back!" Well... guess what? Its never been back, and approaching fall I have no heat. We are an unemployed family with a smart a** who thinks everything will be fine and fixable. Well, I am a mother of two unemployed/college student with no extra doe to put into a stupid defect that should never have been a fight in the first place. Not only will I not be able to drive with no defrost, but it cause an unwanted fight in the family unit! Will I buy another Explorer....?

- , Flint, MI, USA

Mar 032010

Explorer

Just like everyone else I am having an issue with the blend door. Mine is broken and I have no heat in my vehicle (good thing spring is coming). I am now looking into trading off this vehicle. I really like my ford Explorer, but cannot go without heat with having children in the vehicle. If Ford knows this exists, why not fix it?? NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!

- , Delavan, Wisconsin, USA

Mar 012010

Explorer Limited V8

At 57000 miles I was surprised at a clanking sound coming from the dashboard...I now realize that I'm not the only one having this annoying problem.After I save the money to repair this I can honestly say I will never buy another American made car again! This is my second Ford and my last.

- , Florence, S.C, USA

Dec 082009

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Heard loud clicking noise underneath dash board when heat is turned on. Took it to mechanic and was informed that this was a common problem and very expensive to fix if the "heater door" broke. Currently, mine is not broken. The current "fix" is to not turn hot/cold temp. knob to the extreme left or right...this alleviates the "clicking" noise and considered a temporary fix.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Apr 152008

Explorer

The temp was stuck on full hot. Took it to a dealer and the blend door was cracked inside of the duct. The dealer said this is very common with this year vehicle. They had to replace the whole duct assembly which has the a/c evaporator coil molded into it. The part alone was around $700 and there was around $700 in labor. I have dumped a lot of money into this SUV from tranny failures to blend doors failing. In the 4 years I owned it I have spent around $4000 at the dealership. If you own this vehicle push it off a cliff and collect the insurance money.

- , Cato, WI, USA

Nov 232009

Explorer 3.2L V6

A ticking noise started under my dash and when evening came I turned the heat on only to have cold air. Figures it happened the night the entire week was registered to be 50 degrees. My son and I drove to school in ski coats, scarves and hats but the ticking noise was driving us crazy. Searched 3 different honest mechanics and the price range was from 1K to 1500.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 252008

Explorer XLT V6

I PURCHASED A 2004 FORD EXPLORER XLT MARCH OF 2008 WITH ONLY 40,000 MILES ON IT. I WOULD SAY 8MTHS AFTER MY PURCHASE I STARTED TO NOTICE A LOUD CLICKING NOISE WHENEVER I TURNED ON MY AC/HEATER. IT WOULD BE LOUDER WHEN I TURNED ON MY HEAT. I IGNORED IT BECAUSE BOTH MY HEAT AND AC CONTINUED TO WORK. I WAS JUST CURIOUS AS TO WHY THE CLICKING NOISE WOULD COME AND GO. LONG STORY SHORT, NOW THE CLICKING NOISE IS STILL THERE AND NOW MY HEAT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!!!! FRUSTRATED BECAUSE IT WILL COST AROUND $900 TO FIX. I STARTED SEEKING FOR PORTABLE HEATERS ONLINE...JUST TO SEE THAT MY SEARCH REVEALED THAT THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH THE BLEND DOOR BEING FAULTY IN FORD EXPLORERS!!! WHY HASN'T FORD CALLED THIS ISSUE AND SENT LETTERS TO OWNERS TO HAVE THIS ISSUE FIXED? WHEN DO MAJOR COMPANIES UPHOLD THEIR PRODUCT AND AT LEAST HAVE SOME SENSE OF INTEGRITY!!!!!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 122009

Explorer 4.6L V6

i hate ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont have anything good to say about the company.........i think it is total bs that its gonna cost 1500.00 to fix a piece of plastic... i have 2 small children that i have to drive to school with no heat both of them screaming im freezing.....maybe i should make the ford people drive them to school with no heat...i dont know bout the rest of you but i cant afford to pay 1500.00 for a piece of plastic....total bs.....i really hope that ford goes under for making such crappy vehicles...i will never own another one!!!!!

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Apr 082009

Explorer

At only 55,000 miles, I started to hear a really loud clicking noise. It sounded like it was coming from the dash. It scared me at first, then I took it to a local Ford dealer. They said it was a broken blend door and they would have to take the dash out to replace it. All for the lovely price of 1500.00. I cannot afford that price, so I will not be having my heat on high when winter comes. I hope Ford recalls this soon. What a pain. Why do they use such a cheap part that apparently isn't working?

- , Hollansburg, OH, USA

Jul 312008

Explorer LX

Apparently an inexpensive piece of plastic under the dash controls the air flow and is susceptible to breaking which virtually stops all all flow/cool air from being discharged. Ford is well aware of this problem but to my knowledge has not issued a recall. I was fortunate because I'd purchased the extended warranty. The dash has to be completely removed to make the repair and this is the primary reason for the high cost. Problems like this are why Ford is loosing billions of dollars and customer loyalty.

- , Warrenton, GA, USA

May 222008

Explorer XLS V6

There was a loud clicking behind my dash and I knew it was the heater, my car had approximately 31000 miles on it then but the warranty was over my 3 years. I looked up the information on the internet and was surprised that this was such a common problem for Fords. I had an estimate which was approximately 1500.00 and was told the dash needed to come off. Not satisfied with that answer I went to a friend of mine who would have replaced it for free, with of course me buying the OEM Blend Motor. The problem I have with this is WHY does Ford continue to make a plastic piece (blend door pin) that they are well aware keeps breaking and they do nothing, it's not just the explorer. Also the best part of the whole thing is its almost in-accessible to get to the blend motor as the bolts that hold the heater housing on are almost impossible to undo, which means they either didn't give a sh** when they built this or assumed that their heater problems would miraculously fix themselves. My AC works just fine and heat comes out of the vents but the clicking is horrible and sounds as if the gears are stuck. As we pulled the whole front apart, we saw the poor craftsmanship of the car as it had been put together underneath everything. Lots of things were held together with electrical tape and not in a neat way your would expect for your $30,000 dollar car. Needless to say as for now I bought UGG boots to get through this winter since I refuse to give Ford my 1500 bucks I cannot afford to fix something they should have recalled in the 90's and I refuse to let my friend cut through the heater housing with a dremel to replace a piece of plastic to save on 10 hours of labor. There are heater treatments on the market but I am not sure I am that comfortable with that. This is why a bailout for Ford pisses me off. They would have happy customers that would gladly return if they took care of them in the first place. This was my 3rd Ford since my service team at my dealer was so awesome, but this will definitely be my last. I expect this kind of thing from foreign cars but not American made. This is something that should be recalled!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA