Dec 202017

Explorer

Well we just bought this Explorer and just as I have read from others on this website our Explorer is doing similar things. Such as shifting in reverse takes 3-7 seconds to take hold, going up the mountains the SUV had major kickbacks and jerks. I have not taken to dealership as of now. Will make an apt. And put results later.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

Jun 172016

Explorer

All four seals where leaking including pinion seals. Clunking noise 40 to 50mph when you let go of the gas, holds back, heater gauge+mph gauge don't work most.of the time.paint chipping away all over.replaced all seals 5 times +yoke cvhalf shaft. Replaced front differential still making the noise.poor lighting at night.it has a miss fire gave it a tuneup and still is doing it. Radio volume won't turn down it goes louder when turning down.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Aug 202017

Explorer

It slippes and won't just take off some take offbut the SUV sits and when it does takebodf you have to let your foot up off the gas to get it to shift

- Cannelton, IN, USA

Jun 262017

Explorer

Transmission shifts harder and shakes the entire SUV. When I press the gas and get to about 35-40 it will start knocking really bad and feels like it's losing power. When I stop the exact same thing happens with the knocking. I was going 35 around a slight curve on I-45 freeway by little york shepard gulf bank area to be exact and the SUV was driving fine. I was just getting onto the freeway at this time. Hints the reason I'm not going so face. When I started picking up speed the transmission jerked so hard I flew into the next lane. Luckily no one was around me but image if I was in traffic and this happen.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 042017

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. While driving 40 mph, an overdrive warning indicator illuminated while the vehicle decreased in speed. The contact stated that the vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 127,695.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Mar 052017

Explorer

I have already put a complaint in about my throttle body issue. This evening I went about a mile and a half, and my wrench light came on and my truck started to not to be able to move. I pulled over, turned it off. Waited a bit and restarted it. This time it took a bit to get it to start up. I then proceeded to go back home because of how it was acting a mile and a half after driving, not often two minutes later it happens again, and the engine started chugging, I couldn't move, and I almost got rear ended again! I then again turned it off and waited and then started the truck up. It took sometime once again to start. I finally made it back home in tears. I was able to get codes off, since I picked a up a code raffia few days prior. I got code P2104, P2111, and P2112. This issue needs to be addressed. I will be calling Ford tomorrow!

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Nov 022016

Explorer

Transmission failure with overdrive light blinking.no first gear, shifts hard, sometime it wont shift without letting off gas.with codespo731, PO733, PO734, PO745 needs total rebuild this happened while driving down the road at 40 miles a hour, ABS light is on. Codes show wrong line pressure.engine knocking, timming chain issues.

- Corydon, IN, USA

Apr 012016

Explorer

Transmission failure. Shift solenoid "B" circuit failure transmission does not shift into 2nd gear until vehicle reaches 3000 RPM. O/D light flashes, service engine soon light activates and transmission stays in 3rd gear. Don't use vehicle and is out of extended warranty.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jul 142016

Explorer

When driving my 2004 Ford Explorer started making a grinding and humming noise on the left front of driver side tire area. ABS and 4X4 high lights came on instrument panel. Truck felt like it was going into 4X4 mode on its own and braking felt like ABS system failed. Took it to a Ford dealership and I was told that both front wheel bearings needed to be replaced at a cost of $1053. Since this truck uses sensors and traction control the sensor on the left driver side had gone out causing this feature no longer to work. It is a good thing this did not result in an accident since the vehicle was going into 4X4 mode on it's own and the brakes ABS no longer functioned. Just a quick search online will result in many found issues regarding this that Ford has not done a recall on yet. What is it going to take to get Ford to stand behind the safety of trucks they sell?

- Delta, CO, USA

May 032016

Explorer

Paint peeling roof hood differential replaced twice bearings wear out repaired twice back of tailgate panel cracked replaced 3 times

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 022015

Explorer

When driving and you then shifting from drive to reverse it goes into reverse hard. Sometimes it eases into gear and other times it is very hard. I thought well maybe it was me did my foot slip off brake or something?? it wasn't that I made a very conscious effort to make sure I did it correctly and still had the same problems. I also noticed that the vehicle doesn't shift from drive to park correctly kind of stops you before entering park then will go in after you were denied the gear the first time. Currently still dealing with this was hoping there was a recall for either issue.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Mar 122015

Explorer

Overdrive light starting blinking car started shifting really hard and jerking. This is a known issue with Ford Explorer and need to be recalled. I dont have another vehiclebi really need help please

- Okc, OK, USA

Jan 052015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission failure, common for Ford Explorer 2004.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 252015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Had my used 2004 Ford Explorer for a week and I noticed the transmission jerking when it shift into the last gear. Sometimes when I put it in reverse, I have to wait for a full minute for it to finally reverse. Sometimes it jerks hard when I put it in reverse or drive. I'm sure the dealership knew about all this but never revealed it. Of course when you buy as is, your screwed.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Explorer

I was driving interstate 64 getting off the exist going around the ramp and a knocking noise started as I rounded the curb, then oil pressure dropped, my power was gone and, I barely made it off the ramp, but luckily the vehicle had enough speed to coast the curb to get to a safe place to stop. Upon having it checked out by a local mechanic he suggested that the engine and oil pump needed to be replaced" as a single mother I don't have the money for the repairs, and from others complaints that I've seen it makes me wonder if its worth the trouble to find another engine and will it happen again. I thought had found a good vehicle that only lasted a few months...feeling irritated...get it together Ford because this 2004 Explorer is trouble!! was this just a test dummy model to see what problems would come of it??" we want and need answers to these problems. We're spending so much hard earned money on a vehicle that has more problems that keeps happening often.

- Toano, VA, USA

Feb 252015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I've have my vehicle for 10 years. Paid the dealership $450 to have a warranty for the power train and when I went to the dealership for them to fix it they wouldn't. I find out that my major issues are the mechanical differential. Still having the this issue to this day and can never have my transmission cleaned or flushed because of that. Also, my fuel system gets clogged a lot and gas mileage is horrible. Also, my antifreeze leaks after I paid money to have the cracked seal fixed. This is just scratching the surface. I have many things wrong with my vehicle I feel should be covered by the manufacturer but I would like to know what defects are out there for my vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 242015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the transmission seized. The contact stated that when the accelerator was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the gears failed to shift and the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer

Rear panel cracked in the shed. I have had to replace my transmission a year ago replace front hubs several times. And just last week I had to replace the back wheel bearing again. I don't understand why Ford has not done a recall on these things.I see a lot of Ford with the same crack on the back hatch.this is just crazy. If I new we couldn't check transmission fluid I would have never got this truck.I will never buy a Ford again. We also have a 1994 diesel that we had to put a transmission in at 80,000 miles it sits in the shed and now my husband drives a Chevy.our Ford diesel only has 134,000 on it what ashamed. It will not even crank when its cold. Bad work Ford!!!!

- Cleveland, NC, USA

Dec 022014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The car is in parking condition at work and after a long awhile it would not start even the full battery. I have attempted to make lots of checks for all component like relays, fuses and wiring connection they are all fine, in good condition. But finding out the starter relay had no power, no current flowing through it. I belief that the faulty is ( PCM unit ) power train control module that blocked a current from the starter relay.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Apr 172010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission failed early on at about 88000 miles, we purchased and replaced this. My husband had been in auto repair and parts for over 20 years, so him and my son done the repair, without counting anything for labor the total cost for the repair was around $2000. From that point on we have had lots of major problems that had to be repaired or parts replaced. The intake and parts cost us around $700, no charge for labor. The timing C+hain failed and we choose this time to take it to the repair shop which cost us $1100!!! now at 156000 miles the transmission has failed, this one has around 68000 miles on it. We have never had one dime in help from Ford on anything. This is the third Explorer we have owned in the past 15 years. We also own 3 F-150's and a mustang. We have never had this kind of problems with any of the other vehicles. I can honestly say we are very disappointed in this 2004 Explorer and I feel we will most likely not purchase another Ford vehicle in the future!!!!!

- Frenchburg, KY, USA