May 262018

Explorer

In 2004 Ford Explorer with V8, the cruise control turns off engine when traveling 35~45 mph and going down a hill or decline. This affects power steering and brakes making it difficult to control and slow down the vehicle. This has happened repeatedly for the past 10 years, so I am used to this defect. My workaround is to put the vehicle in neutral and restart the vehicle and then continue.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 122017

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer traveling 40-45mph on a rural road. Driver lost control of the vehicle at a "S" curve and hit an utility pole with the front end. The pole was snapped in half. Airbags did not deploy. Driver was the only person in the vehicle. 35 lb dog was on the passenger seat. Driver was wearing a seat belt. Driver hit his chest on the steering wheel bruising his lung. Driver also hit his head on the windshield causing a laceration (approximately 1.5") down to his skull. Driver was transferred via ambulance to the nearest hospital and admitted for 48 hours. The canine broke her back and had to be put down the following day.

- Wpafb, OH, USA

Jun 262017

Explorer

Transmission shifts harder and shakes the entire SUV. When I press the gas and get to about 35-40 it will start knocking really bad and feels like it's losing power. When I stop the exact same thing happens with the knocking. I was going 35 around a slight curve on I-45 freeway by little york shepard gulf bank area to be exact and the SUV was driving fine. I was just getting onto the freeway at this time. Hints the reason I'm not going so face. When I started picking up speed the transmission jerked so hard I flew into the next lane. Luckily no one was around me but image if I was in traffic and this happen.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 052017

Explorer

I have already put a complaint in about my throttle body issue. This evening I went about a mile and a half, and my wrench light came on and my truck started to not to be able to move. I pulled over, turned it off. Waited a bit and restarted it. This time it took a bit to get it to start up. I then proceeded to go back home because of how it was acting a mile and a half after driving, not often two minutes later it happens again, and the engine started chugging, I couldn't move, and I almost got rear ended again! I then again turned it off and waited and then started the truck up. It took sometime once again to start. I finally made it back home in tears. I was able to get codes off, since I picked a up a code raffia few days prior. I got code P2104, P2111, and P2112. This issue needs to be addressed. I will be calling Ford tomorrow!

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Feb 212017

Explorer

I was driving on a highway going 60mpg, out of no where my Ford Explorer stops moving and decreases in speed fast. At that same time a wrench symbol popped up on my dash. I almost got rear ended due to the speed dropping so fast, I could not pull over fast enough. Once pulled over, I turnoff my Ford for a few minutes. After a few minutes I started it back up. The wrench symbol was gone, I was able to then accelerate and get to the correct speed for the speed limit. Once I got home I stopped at my local shop and they scanned the computer to see what was going on. I was told that it was my throttle body. I was not giving any codes and the shop owner cleared the codes out of the system. He told me that if it comes back he did say that if it comes back I would have to replace my throttle body. This is very dangerous I know there are recalls that are being petition on other Ford vehicles and I have read many complaints on other websites in regards to this issue Ford should really replace these because they can cause a very hazardous accident when it the throttle body stops performing. I hope this can be looked into and corrected in a reasonable amount of time I know that I am not the only one with this issue. Thank you

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Nov 022016

Explorer

Transmission failure with overdrive light blinking.no first gear, shifts hard, sometime it wont shift without letting off gas.with codespo731, PO733, PO734, PO745 needs total rebuild this happened while driving down the road at 40 miles a hour, ABS light is on. Codes show wrong line pressure.engine knocking, timming chain issues.

- Corydon, IN, USA

Aug 162016

Explorer

While driving down the street I activated the cruise control feature, but when I deexcellerated using the the steering wheel cruise control buttons down to a speed below 40, the engine shut off and power steering off, while I was still in motion on the street. I had to put the vehicle into park and crank up again (which almost didn't crank back up), to get back running. This is the first time using my cruise control feature and have read other horror stories of their Ford Explorer shutting off mid drive due to using the decel button during cruise control. Must be recalled for highway and interstate safety hazard immediately.

- Milton, FL, USA

May 102016

Explorer

Problums with timing chain the guides and tentioner always braking or the timing chain it self braking, it is all I hear about the 4.0 motors, I my self this is the second one that it has happened to

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jun 032016

Explorer

The throttle would not respond after starting. Electronic throttle control and engine service warning lights lit on dash. Engine would not rev over 1000 RPM. Had to get electronic throttle body replaced at a cost of $875 plus $65 towing. Electronic throttle control failure has been common Ford going back to 2002. Ford has replaced over 1.6 million units under their consumer satisfaction program. However, there was no recall. Called Ford, and was assigned a case #, however, Ford would not assist with payment. Vehicle out of warranty. 31,155 actual mileage

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 222016

Explorer

Came home from work Friday evening and sat. Morning the vehicle would not start. Took battery in and tested, it was dead. Replaced the battery and the car still would not start. Only clicked, relay and starter were fine. Had to tow it to a mechanic who has determined that the anti-theft system has shut down my engine for no reason. The key no longer connects to the system. Why is there not a recall on this issue?? I have seen online forums and many complaints about this issue. Now I have to tow my vehicle to a dealer 40 miles away and pay to have my vehicle and keys reprogrammed. Over $120!!! this issue left me stranded with no vehicle for over a week. I think Ford should be responsible for the repair and tow costs!!!

- Coffeyville, KS, USA

Dec 262015

Explorer

The contact owned a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact heard a loud boom and discovered that his parked vehicle was on fire. The fire department extinguished the flames. The insurance company determined that the vehicle was destroyed. There were no injuries. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Virginia Beach, VI, USA

Jul 232015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and various unknown warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not able to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine timing belt failed and the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Oct 012014

Explorer

Car starts but will go forward when shifted in reverse. Turned the car off then back on, but when I would put the car back in reverse or drive, it stalled out. Had it towed and then it was fine after that. Now its about 6 months later, now my orange wrench light pops up and cruise control shuts off at 65mph. Then it jerks a couple times. Have had it checked and came back with 14 codes mainly for transmission.

- Whitehall, OH, USA

May 172015

Explorer

Complete engine failure while driving. Service engine soon light appeared 2 days previous but did not yet make it to the mechanic. Computer reading suggested a sensor problem. Engine shut down, lost power steering and all systems. Engine restarted but now idles rough.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the service engine soon warning indicator illuminated and the engine stalled. The vehicle restarted and started blowing fuel fumes into the driver's cabin. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the spark plug blew out of the cylinder and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. MA 08/06/15 updated 10/11/2017

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 252015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Had my used 2004 Ford Explorer for a week and I noticed the transmission jerking when it shift into the last gear. Sometimes when I put it in reverse, I have to wait for a full minute for it to finally reverse. Sometimes it jerks hard when I put it in reverse or drive. I'm sure the dealership knew about all this but never revealed it. Of course when you buy as is, your screwed.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Feb 252015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I've have my vehicle for 10 years. Paid the dealership $450 to have a warranty for the power train and when I went to the dealership for them to fix it they wouldn't. I find out that my major issues are the mechanical differential. Still having the this issue to this day and can never have my transmission cleaned or flushed because of that. Also, my fuel system gets clogged a lot and gas mileage is horrible. Also, my antifreeze leaks after I paid money to have the cracked seal fixed. This is just scratching the surface. I have many things wrong with my vehicle I feel should be covered by the manufacturer but I would like to know what defects are out there for my vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 302015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down the road at 10:52 pm and with no warning the entire truck shut down/off. All lights inside and out shut off, engine shut off, no power to the entire vehicle. Coasted to a stop, put it in park and turned the key off and then back on - the truck started right up with out a problem.

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

Dec 132011

Explorer

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and when I hit the 84000 mile my car started falling apart starting with the heater A/C vent actuator first time in late 2011 then again in Jan 2015 this repair has cost me over $1200 then the engine light has come on and I've been told by Ford repair shop which was $97 just to look at it that it was from different coils that were over $300 a piece which has been replaces a couple of time to the Cadillac converter which was over $3500 to replacing the bearings a couple hundred many times. I'm at the point where I'm not sure to keep this car or junk it these repairs are breaking me! I see that I'm not the only one that is complaining about these problems.... there should be some type of recall....!!!!!!!!!!!

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Oct 172014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the service engine and the battery warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked and made a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who replaced the front driver side hub and wheel bearing, the rear springs, the three passenger gear calipers, four rear driver side calipers, the battery, five rear brake pads, and six rear rotors plus an oil change. Three weeks after the repairs, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the brake pedal hesitated to respond. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,817.

- Hornell, NY, USA