May 262018

Explorer

In 2004 Ford Explorer with V8, the cruise control turns off engine when traveling 35~45 mph and going down a hill or decline. This affects power steering and brakes making it difficult to control and slow down the vehicle. This has happened repeatedly for the past 10 years, so I am used to this defect. My workaround is to put the vehicle in neutral and restart the vehicle and then continue.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 202017

Explorer

It slippes and won't just take off some take offbut the SUV sits and when it does takebodf you have to let your foot up off the gas to get it to shift

- Cannelton, IN, USA

May 032017

Explorer

I was driving on the interstate about 70mph. I was in the far left lane. My Explorer suddenly lost pressure tried hitting the gas pedal to the floor, rpms, still dropping, no fuel pressure at all. I was trying desperately to get over at the same time trying to take into account the speed of the other vehicles and if I was going fast enough to make it over two lanes of traffic. By the time I made it over to the right shoulder I was literally going about 5mph. It was the most intense moment in my life, car, trucks, tractor trailers moving at 70+mph don't see you until they are up on you. I have researched and Ford has known issues with their throttle body assembly. Instead of taking care the issue they wait until something catastrophic happens to take care of it. This unacceptable they know there is a problem with this part and they wait and wait until some magical number or lord forbids someone dies trying to get off the road. You call them and they tell you "no recalls on your vehicle at this time keep your receipt if you get it repaired incase a recall occurs in the future" what this means is, "they probably know there is an issue but enough people haven't complained"! they have lawsuits being filed as we speak so I'm asking "NHTSA" to issue an investigation on our behalf. Everyone please make your voices heard!!!!

- Newport News, VA, USA

Mar 052017

Explorer

I have already put a complaint in about my throttle body issue. This evening I went about a mile and a half, and my wrench light came on and my truck started to not to be able to move. I pulled over, turned it off. Waited a bit and restarted it. This time it took a bit to get it to start up. I then proceeded to go back home because of how it was acting a mile and a half after driving, not often two minutes later it happens again, and the engine started chugging, I couldn't move, and I almost got rear ended again! I then again turned it off and waited and then started the truck up. It took sometime once again to start. I finally made it back home in tears. I was able to get codes off, since I picked a up a code raffia few days prior. I got code P2104, P2111, and P2112. This issue needs to be addressed. I will be calling Ford tomorrow!

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Feb 212017

Explorer

I was driving on a highway going 60mpg, out of no where my Ford Explorer stops moving and decreases in speed fast. At that same time a wrench symbol popped up on my dash. I almost got rear ended due to the speed dropping so fast, I could not pull over fast enough. Once pulled over, I turnoff my Ford for a few minutes. After a few minutes I started it back up. The wrench symbol was gone, I was able to then accelerate and get to the correct speed for the speed limit. Once I got home I stopped at my local shop and they scanned the computer to see what was going on. I was told that it was my throttle body. I was not giving any codes and the shop owner cleared the codes out of the system. He told me that if it comes back he did say that if it comes back I would have to replace my throttle body. This is very dangerous I know there are recalls that are being petition on other Ford vehicles and I have read many complaints on other websites in regards to this issue Ford should really replace these because they can cause a very hazardous accident when it the throttle body stops performing. I hope this can be looked into and corrected in a reasonable amount of time I know that I am not the only one with this issue. Thank you

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Aug 162016

Explorer

While driving down the street I activated the cruise control feature, but when I deexcellerated using the the steering wheel cruise control buttons down to a speed below 40, the engine shut off and power steering off, while I was still in motion on the street. I had to put the vehicle into park and crank up again (which almost didn't crank back up), to get back running. This is the first time using my cruise control feature and have read other horror stories of their Ford Explorer shutting off mid drive due to using the decel button during cruise control. Must be recalled for highway and interstate safety hazard immediately.

- Milton, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Explorer

Transmission slippind O/D light flashing RPM's high just bought car not happy

- Albion, MI, USA

Feb 262016

Explorer

When pressing on the accelerator there is a sometimess a delayed reponse when the vehicle moves it is sudden and unxpected. As result of this I recently backed into a fence causing damage to my car and the fence

- Troy, NY, USA

Sep 022013

Explorer

My SUV shuts off, at full speed!!! I've been in contact with Ford's corporate office, dealerships and other mechanics..... it is an issue that tens of thousands of Ford Explorer owners have had. There are thousands of complaints online! it is so common that mechanics know what you're talking about, before you finish a description of the problem. It's alsoi common for individuals to replace motors and continue to have their vehicles shut off on them, at full speed!!!. I am afraid for my child's safety, as well as my own.

- Waynesboro, GA, USA

Jun 042014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Driving through town was out in intersection and it just took off speeding slammed on brakes and I shut it off. Started it back up and like lost all power no control of foot feet Explorer started shaking and died tried to start no success. Towed it home had mechanic put it on computer and got P2111 Ford -throttle actuator control system stuck open. And I changed the tps and no luck changed the whole throttle body no luck still won't start. Was doing research and several Ford have been having same problem but when I called dealership he said he couldn't do anything about it because my VIN. # wasn't on the list. If other people are having the same thing happen to them that I am having why can't he help me too.

- Mingo, IA, USA

Sep 052014

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

When starting the vehicle, its not wanting to run. Then when I start to pull out it stalls. I mean, U push the gas pedal and it takes maybe four seconds before anything happens, then the tires spin it jerks forward and my kids scream. It jerks U back in the seat. Ok, we're on the road, I don't know if its going to run. One minute its acting like its getting enough fuel. The nexts its like it isn't. now the service engine light has come on. I call the guy who works on cars, he use to be a head mechanic for has his own shop now, he automatically tells me its the throttle body and says if I cant find a used one, U wont like buyin a new one. An the bad thing is U have to replace them about every 120000 miles. Now isn't that great. The auto parts store says about $725 will take care of the part, what about the labor"?" I bought this vehicle because it had a third row seat. I have three kids. I need it to be safe, not a death trap. Ford knows it has a problem, fix it!!!

- Williamsburg, KY, USA

Sep 232013

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 45 mpg and the vehicle started to slow down on it's own in the middle of traffic. I was close to home and able to get it into my driveway. I had to have it towed to the shop where they diagnosed that the electronic throttle body module was bad and replaced it at a cost of repair of $644.

- Sandston, VA, USA

Nov 222013

Explorer 6-cyl

This is a county govt vehicle purchased used from a dealer about 2 years ago. I had been highway driving for about 3-4 hours at speeds between 55-70 mph. I made one brief stop during that time, and was mostly using cruise control. Just prior to the incident, the speed limit drops from 70 to 55, and then to 35 in a relatively short distance. I used the cruise control coast to reduce my speed from 55 to 35. The 35 mph speed starts on a bridge- there is a small incline and then a little larger decline. At about the base of the bridge, the engine shut off, I lost steering and coasted to a stop. I don't recall if I had braking. I was with a passenger; it was night, and this occurred in an area that was not safe. I tried restarting the car, and it restarted with no problem. I drove to a nearby gas station. The power steering fluid was low, so I filled that, restarted, and drove the remaining 1 1/2 hrs with no problems. Other employees continued to drive over the next 2 1/2 months locally-very little highway driving, with no issues. On February 21, I was returning from a trip in this vehicle from the same area, with the same circumstances as above. When I was still on the bridge where the speed drops to 35, the engine shut off again. This time I was alone. There was a vehicle following very close behind me but fortunately I continued to coast as this was on the decline of the bridge. I was able to steer slightly to get off the highway. The check gauges; check engine, and battery warning lights were all on. The car restarted with no problems. I drove to the same gas station; checked the gauges-all were normal and no warning lights. I drove the 1 1/2 hrs remaining with no problems. On a web search, I found multiple cases of very similar problems on Explorer with no resolution. I could find no recalls on the VIN. This is an extremely dangerous and potentially fatal problem.

- Manteo, NC, USA

Nov 092013

Explorer 8-cyl

When setting cruise control at around 35 to 40 mph the engine dies. The power steering stops working and is very difficult to steer out of traffic. Turn the vehicle off and then it will restart and run until you try to set the cruise again.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Aug 252013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle did not stop until after repeated attempts to apply the brakes. The vehicle was restarted after several minutes and operated normally for five miles. The vehicle then accelerated independently, reaching speeds of up to 65 mph before the contact was able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 124,000.

- Catawba, NC, USA

Jun 222012

Explorer

While driving, the cruise control stopped working and car stalled. At the same time the ABS light comes off and on.

- Independence, KY, USA

Sep 302012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while stopped, the vehicle accelerated independently and without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the throttle body sensor unit was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 74,000.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Sep 152012

Explorer 6-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer in July 0F 2011, and traded in my 2001 Oldsmobile of 5 years. I also purchased the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Before driving it off the lot I had the dealer fix the ABS system because the light was on. There is a crack going down the back of the trunk but nothing else was wrong at the time so I left the crack alone. In April of 2012 I took it to the dealership for a belt, check trans, shocks, ball joints, and a ticking in the heater when knob was turned to heat (not cool). I told him to just fix what was on the warranty and also give it a oil change. He informed me that the trans was fine. After getting the car back my heat went out and I was told by a mechanic buddy that my brakes, rotters, emergency brake pads and the back tires were shot. So I had him replaced them because this was also not covered on warranty. Just last week my RPM started jumping with miles over 65.(no lights were on at the time)so I took it to 6 different places getting estimates on what could be wrong. All shops said the same thing. "start with fuel filter, oil filters and oil change". the day after I paid for all this the service engine light came on. (egr valve code) the man at auto zone told me to take it off and clean it with spray and let it dry before replacing. I took it to a shop and had them do this. The same day I picked up the car my service engine light came on again, O/D light and the car was driving like I was hauling a bus and jumping. I took it back the next day and he replaced the egr valve new since the same code was showing up. Later that day after getting it back the car started doing the same thing after driving for 5 miles this was Friday 9/21/12.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Sep 012012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden my transmission started slipping and the cruise control kicked it because the vehicle started to slow down so it went into high rpms then the transmission grabbed and shot the vehicle forward and I lost control and we spun in circles off the freeway. Had it not of rained all day the SUV would have flipped. Now my transmission is leaking fluid and it must be repaired by dealership or garage only and I cannot afford this repair and I see that there is a major problem these transmissions in these vehicles and me my child or my husband could have been badly hurt if not killed had this been on dry pavement!!!

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Aug 062010

Explorer

Cannot accelerate, feels like transmission is shifting hard. Scares me to be in traffic with two small children in backseat. Put into reverse it jolts into gear after a few seconds. Makes a loud noise when driving down the road. Sometimes there is almost no acceleration making it impossible to get around town.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA