7.7

Most common solutions:

1. replace radiator (165 reports)
  3. replace with ford certified radiator and parts (12 reports)
  4. replace bad seal (7 reports)
  5. replace with aftermarket radiator and parts (5 reports)
  6. contact national highway safety administration 1-888-327-423 (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jan 122012

Explorer XLT 4x4 V6

A five year old $35000 car with only 20500 miles should not have a leaky radiator let alone have to have it replaced and now the vehicle sounds loud perhaps it is the fan. I had a Dodge Avenger for 16 years and never had a major problem. Now that it is 5 years old and payed for it is falling apart.

- , Muscatine, Iowa, USA

Jan 182011

Explorer XLT V6

Bought this used, owned is for 6 months and put less than 8k miles on it. Radiator cracked and had to replace thermostat housing

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 142010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

So I'm on my fourth radiator now. They keep leaking coolant and now it is leaking transmission fluid at the oiler cooler connector on the bottom of the radiator. I'm so tired of this. I don't think I'd get another Ford even if I was paid to take it. I have an extended warranty but it doesn't cover the radiator. Nonetheless, even if it did, I'd still be extremely tired of the time spent driving to/from the dealer to get it fixed. Avoid this vehicle at all costs.

- , Allendale, MI, USA

Sep 152011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Here's to another radiator on the 2006 Exploder! Keeps leaking coolant. The dealer says it is a pin hole leak. No one knows why this continues to happen.

- , Allendale, MI, USA

Nov 152011

Explorer XLT V8

Brought Explorer in for routine oil change and they say it has a radiator leak and it will cost $939 to replace.Vehicle is 5 years old with 70,000 miles.

After questioning, service manager admitted not a real leak, but some wet spots. Also back-peddled and said if I got an estimate elsewhere they could match it, and likely come way down in the cost.

???? - I have ZERO faith now in the Ford Service guys, and don't trust a thing they say.

- , Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Explorer Limited 4.0L

Fix Or Repair Daily...... Thank goodness for family friends, or else ford would have loved to charge me 800 dollars to fix this problem. what a bunch of bull S*. a high performance radiator is cheaper than fords. they want 550 just for the radiator. i called them and they told me they feel very highly in their radiators and that is why they are so expensive. So why is the 2006 having such a big problem? Radiator.com told me about this big issue and that it is a on going problem with the 2006 explorer + mountaineer and that if your vehicle is under warranty then they will replace it at no cost. too bad i found out about the leak after my mothers cat disappeared and died in the bushes. shortly after my thermostat housing went out as well. probably due to lack of f* coolant in the radiator. not to include my warranty had just expired. how many more animals have to die due to this S. ford told me they had never heard of this problem being re- occuring. Was so pissed off after i got off the phone that i wanted to look into this issue and now i have realized i will never buy a ford after this. getting a performance radiator put in on tuesday for 463 dollars everything included with a warranty. F* ford. and their bull sh*t. Plastic thermostat housing? are you kidding me.

- , Shoreline, WA, USA

Oct 212011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Having the same problem as everyone else. Took my 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with 32000 miles to the mechanic today to find out I need my radiator replaced. I have owned this car brand new since 2006 and barely drive it. It is going to cost me ~$900 to get the radiator replaced. I called ford and they want me to send the car to a dealer instead of an independent mechanic before they can let me know if there is anything they can do to help. Based on all the complaints I am reading here and possibly other people complaining on other sites, my guess is, ford is absolutely doing nothing to help customers with this problem. I plan on holding on to my receipt just in case something changes.

Has anyone had success with ford on this problem?

- , Staten Island, New York, USA

Feb 122010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 6.0L

This my second ford explorer the first one we bought was a 2002 and the transmission went out with about 80,000 miles. Now my 2006 raidiator needs to be replaced which will cost me around 1000 dollars which i just do not have.So the dame car just sits until I can afford to fix it.Which with 500 dollar car payment a month its too hard.I will never ever buy a ford again.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Any updates on a recall for the Ford Explorer 2006 radiator? Mine's been leaking antifreeze slowly, and I have to refill it with water everyday and antifreeze every week. I was told I needed a new radiator but it's a costly repair and I don't have the money. What's the corporate number for Ford? We need to get a class action!

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Jul 112011

Explorer V8

AFTER 5 YEARS OF OWNING THIS VEHICLE I WAS TOLD I HAD A RADIATOR LEAK AND IT NEEDED REPLACING. I OWN A 15 YEAR OLD DODGE AND IT STILL HAS ITS ORIGINAL RADIOTOR WITH NO PROBLEMS. I HAVE ALSO FOUND OTHER EXPLORER OWNERS THAT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. A FORD MECHANIC IN MICHIGAN TOLD ME FORD HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAS REPLACED SEVERAL RADIATORS ON EXPLORERS AND SOME WITH MILEAGE LESS THAN 40,000. IF YOU KNOW THIS IS A PROBLEM WHY ARE YOU SHAKING DOWN YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR THIS KIND OF MONEY?

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 262011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ford Dealer wanted to charge me to replace a radiator it had installed for $1,100 almost exactly one year previous. They are a complete joke and I am done going to Ford dealers and buying from Ford

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Jun 142008

Explorer LX 4.0L V6

I HAVE REPLACED 4 RADIATORS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS, & THERMOSTAT HOUSING BECAUSE OF THE RADIATOR PROBLEM. AND 14 GALS OF ANTIFREEZE

- , Pamplico, SC, USA

Feb 132011

Explorer XLT V6

this is the 3rd radiator that i had to replace. every time it was the same thing it leaked and then the line for the transmission keeped leaking also. how many time do people have to keep fixing this problem. Today people don't have money just sitting around to fix big problem like this. so ford why don't you step up to the plate and do something about all of these complaints. i will bet there are enough people that will join together to do a class action lawsuit and there is enough evidence that will show the malfunction in the radiators for 2006 ford explorers.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 272009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Took to the dealership and they stated that the leak in the radiator is not covered by the warranty. They went on to say that the radiator had the wrong coolant. They stated that maybe someone put in the wrong one. I told them the coolant was never touched. They stated the warranty does not cover since incorrect coolant. Since there are so many complaints about the same issue, Ford should pay for the work that a private garage did on my car to replace the radiator. Ford was charging too much money that is why I did not have it done there.

- , Westfield, NJ, USA

Jan 102011

Explorer LXT 4.0L

Bought it at 2006. Everything was fine except the coolant leaking started 2010 early after changing transmission oil at Marlborough Ford dealer shop. I went back to dealer but they said it's not their problem. The leaking came from a hose connection. I put a clamp on spent $2 instead of deal shop asked for $100.

Starting Dec. 2010. There was a small leaking again and I can see it on the garage ground every morning. It's not very serious but very anoying. This time I wnet to a friend recommended shop and found the leaking was from the upper corner of radiator close to the cap. spent $800 replaced it.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Jun 042011

Explorer LS 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

radiator leak

When so many have the same issue it is a defect. It is time for a class action lawsuit.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 182011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L V6

Third Radiator on this relatively "newer" vehicle. The second radiator covered under original warranty. It lasted 3 years. That's terrible! (note to previous posters-Ford is the only US manufacturer that DID NOT take the bailout). Still ridiculous issue for an expensive SUV like this. Shame on you Ford.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 202011

Explorer

My vehicle started to regularly overheat and then hum before any warning lights came on. I took it in and the mechanic told me I had total radiator failure. I had to have a new radiator put in since it wasn't under warranty and it cost me $1,100 since it was hard to get at (apparently is is wedged next to the wheel? not a great place for a radiator). Not happy having problems with this vehicle since it isn't too old. Also the mechanic told me this vehicle has head gasket and timing belt problems.

- , Cambellsport, WI, USA

May 122011

Explorer LX V6

This is the SECOND radiator put into my car, first was at 35,000 miles. First would have been covered under warranty, but not ever having used a warranty, didnt think to ask. Radiator runs under $200.00, however labor is the big expense. What a lemon.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Explorer XLT

If Ford is unwilling to "recall" these defective radiators even after numerous complaints from owners, maybe it is time to work in another direction. Try making complaints to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as the defective radiators leak potentially toxic antifreeze onto the ground where it could possible be ingested by animals or even leech into the groundwater and contaminate it. Maybe Ford would be more concerned if they were looking at being investigated and fined by the EPA.

- , Dothan, AL, USA