8.4

Most common solutions:

2. no (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Mar 142016

Explorer 3.2L V6

There is a exhaust odor that exist when accelerating in the vehicle cabin. All passengers can smell the exhaust. The emissions issue is obvious, and needs to be addressed by ford- and not denied.

- , Roanoke, US

Oct 172017

Explorer Limited V6

My Explorer also has an odor I describe as burnt hair when accelerating. It doesn't happen every time I accelerate but is frequent. The odor comes from the vents. I dismissed it at first but one day the car was running when I opened the hatch to get something and smelled the exhaust. I realized it's the same odor that enters when I accelerate. It does give me a headache when it occurs.

I have been to Ford but get nowhere. They dismiss the complaint and say they smell nothing. Maybe after today's news report they will listen.

- , Lebanon, US

Oct 142017

Explorer Platinum 3.5L V6 Turbo

Smelling Exhaust fumes in the cabin while driving. Of course the car is 1,000 mile over warranty and Ford says they don't know if they will cover it. This is a design flaw and extremely dangerous. I am waiting to see what they tell me at the dealership.

- , Angleton, US

Mar 012017

Explorer XLT

I am having the same problem with my 2016 Ford Explorer that the 2011-2015's are having with horrible exhaust smells in cabin upon acceleration. Just wanted to let you know that it is also affecting 2016's. I am going to let Ford know that this makes me feel sick when I am driving especially upon acceleration.

Update from Sep 26, 2017: Took it to dealer and told them about smell of exhaust in cabin upon acceleration I was told it couldn't be exhaust bcause Carbon Monoxide is odorless and that couldn't be what I was smelling. Took a mechanic from dealership on test drive and I could not duplicate the problem, We only test drove around dealership on the streets. I need to take them on the freeway on ramp where it is especially noticeable. Will do that soon. They also told me they were not aware of ANY complaints of this problem. Puuuuulease.

- , Sylmar, US

Dec 092015

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

Smell of exhaust fumes in the cab after acceleration passing/towing/merging. Been happening since day one Thought it was just breaking it but now have 50000km on vehicle and its getting worse. Especially in Summer.

- , Warren, MB, Canada

Jun 012016

Explorer 3.5L

Very bad smell inside of cabin. Took the vehicle to local dealer. They had found that exhaust was leaking into the car. Had vehicle for over a year and was never notify that these cars may have a problem. My wife always complain about headache. Had time were I would have burning eyes inside of car. To top it off, We have a 4 year old grandchild that inside that car for five days a week. Never know that exhaust was entering that car. Should have been notify.

- , Houma, US

May 252016

Explorer Limited V6

I saved for many years to buy this vehicle. I was so proud. At first, I thought maybe the gas smell in the cabin was due to the Explorer not having a gas cap because I noticed it when I accelerated on an entrance ramp and I had just filled up the vehicle. So, when I met with my salesman a couple of weeks after purchasing this new vehicle I waited TWO months to get because it was special ordered, I talked to him regarding the gas smell in the cabin and I mentioned the no gas cap and he said, "No, Ford received an award for that no gas cap system. I never heard of this before." He did say it takes 3000-6000 miles for the vehicle to be "broken in". So, I kept thinking they probably spilled something on the engine when building the car and it just has to dry.

I drove it very little and very slow to minimize what I thought would be a "temporary" problem. In Nov., I sent a PS to my salesman in an email saying I was still getting the smell in the cabin and it was unacceptable. (I bought it May, 2016.) In March of 2017, I needed navigation to get to my nephew's baseball game 42 miles away down a two way road called 2004 so I didn't drive our old truck since it doesn't have navigation. I went to pass a truck and had to hard accelerate and omg....the cabin was flooded with gas/exhaust fumes/smells. I got a sore throat and had to roll down the windows and turn off the A/C. It was awful. (in southern Tx., you need A/C.)

When I came home, my cousin and I went on the internet and investigated and found the 2011-2015 exhaust smells in the Explorer cabin lawsuit and all the countless accounts of Explorer owners with the same problem. The vehicle has been in the shop 3 times starting in March and still has the same problem. I've now owned it for 15 months and have 5800 miles on it. My EX-husband and I have owned 11 FORDs. I'm shocked that I have been a loyal customer and now I'm getting slapped in the face in return by FORD. I'm the sole caretaker of my now hubby who has lewy body dementia and sometimes tries to undo his seat belt.

I need my Explorer fixed because it has many safety features I need while taking care of my husband in the vehicle. Our old truck I drive most of the time does not have those safety features. I have sent in my complaint to NHSTB. I've called Ford corporate. I filled out papers with the BBB AutoLine. The dealership is caught in the middle. Not their fault. The Explorer was shipped from Chicago. Something happened when they built this Explorer. I'm still making payments on a vehicle I can't drive. So frustrating. I'm shocked I'm still expected to drive this dangerous vehicle with no one giving me a loaner. I just don't think it's fair that I have purchased 11 Fords in the past being loyal and now when I need Ford to be loyal to me, they have evaporated into thin air.

- , League City, US

Jul 292016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

Purchased this truck July 2016 and I immediately started smelling this burning type rotten egg smell. At first I paid it no mind, until my husband and kids started to smell it also.

- , Houston, US

Jul 032017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

Ford needs to look into this. Every time I get in my vehicle it smells like exhaust fumes after I turn it on. This is not only gross but dangerous with the amount of CO that is leaking into my vehicle.

- , Sioux Falls, US

Mar 312017

Explorer XLT V6

Leased Ford Explorer March 2016. Took in within a couple months for exhaust smell problem, they said it was fixed. Still smells. Now they want to keep car. No loaner provided.

- , Huntington Beach, US

May 052016

Explorer Flex Fuel 3.2L V6

I purchased a new 2016 Ford Explorer and from the very first day I start getting that rotten egg smell inside the cab. I thought that the smell would go away but it never did. I finally called the Ford company. I was told to take the vehicle to the Ford Dealer to have it check out. I did and explained the problem with the smell to the garage supervisor. I was asked to leave the vehicle overnight. When I called the supervisor to inquire about the vehicle, I was told that they could not smell any bad smell in the cab, even though the vehicle was taken on three road tests. That is not so true. The bad smell is still there whenever I am driving and have to take the windows down at high speeds. I am so disappointed with the Ford Dealer

If you have any suggestions, please call me or have you a name of a good trial attorney. SP 404-931-8753

- , Atlanta, GA, US

Apr 012016

Explorer Limited 3.5L

Our 2016 Ford Explorer has exhaust fumes getting into cabin when accelerating up a hill or onto a freeway under harder acceleration, also in passing gear and when you back off to normal speed you get an awful smell in the cabin through the ventilation. We have had it back to dealership at least six times or more and also talked to a Ford customer service rep at least six times with no fix. The mufflers were replaced but no change was made to fumes getting into cabin. After recently researching the problem we have found out that this has been occurring since the production of the 2011 Ford Explorers. Carbon monoxide is a health hazard. How can Ford keep ignoring the problem and getting away with it when this is a health hazard? We keep getting the run around with Ford customer service because there is no fix to it - but the government lets them keep building faulty Explorers. If it wasn't for the unhealthy fumes we would be 100% satisfied with our 2016 Ford Explorer Limited.

- , Morris, OK, USA

Mar 011917

Explorer XLT 2.4L

I have owned a 2016 Ford Explorer for 10 months. After anout a week of driving I noticed a very strong burning smell coming into the cabin. I brought to dealer only to be told that it must be a burning sticker on engine. Well 10 months later the smell is as strong as ever! I have noticed many other complaints online and there needs to be a class action lawsuit against Ford. This is ridiculous, For a brand new car!

Update from Jan 25, 2017: An update to this site is- my fuel tank was replaced after it was proven to have a major gas leak. The fuel neck was replaced one month later. No change- still very strong gas Oder. What else needs to happen before they replace my car that I am paying a fortune for!!??? I can not park the car inside the garage as the entire house will smell of gasoline.

- , Canton, GA, USA

Mar 172016

Explorer XLT V6

if you exceed it, a strong exhaust stinking smell comes through. l would want Ford to take full "Responsibility " and fix the problem or repurchase the Vehicle back

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 272016

Explorer Limited 3.5L V6

I have had 2 Ford Explorers. The first one was a 2013 which was broadsided by a tractor trailer in June 2016 and was totaled. I liked the Explorer so bought a 2016. Both of these vehicles have the odor in the cabin problem so it is obvious that Ford does not know what the problem is nor how to fix it. It seems to me that with all the complaints that they would address this as this is a horrible odor. While it hasn't made me sick,..yet....I have no idea of the damage that the fumes might be causing health wise. Safety comes in many forms and breathing possible toxic fumes is right at the top of the list.

- , Thurmont, MD, USA

Jun 072016

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

Definitely getting an exhaust or burning smell in the cabin after a hard acceleration. I read online that there is no fix for this issue so did not bother taking the time to take it to the dealer. Just another reason I will not buy another Ford Explorer.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

May 012016

Explorer Limited 3.5L

Smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin under acceleration

- , Fulshear, TX, USA

Sep 182015

Explorer XLT

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that I bought new. I have had it in the shop three times now, for exhaust fumes in the cabin. I just recently picked it up Thursday. They replaced the exhaust mufflers with turn down exhaust. We ask the service manager if he drove it. To see if that fixed the problem. He said no, but he had all the confidence that this will work. Well guess what, it didn't! Now I have another call into the service department. I have a vacation trip planned with my grandkids coming up. This is so annoying to pay so much for a car that stays in the shop more than on the road. I love my Explorer, but I can't keep dealing with this problem. Plus not having a car to drive, but still making the payments. This is a Ford problem that should be fixed, plus give the customer another car to drive. While you try to figure out the mistake.

- , Dora, AL, USA

Feb 222016

Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost

So on its first road trip. On every uphill, the Ford Explorer cabin was filling up with carbon monoxide. So bad, that I was rolling down the windows. After 4 times to service. Ford insisted the problem was fixed.

I purchased a co meter after the 3rd service visit with a day apart each visit. I tested the meter and recorded levels rise during uphill. Air outside was zero, cabin was 4 parts per million on a 5 minute uphill. I showed the service and general managers at Galpin Ford. Still no help. They tested with my meter and showed 2 parts. I can get that thing above 12 parts on the baker grade when I get a chance and post it on YouTube in the next few weeks.

I have purchased 5 Fords from the same dealership. Ford and Galpin are treating a loyal customer like dirt. After the first service they said to drive it 5000 more miles and smell will go away. It's a rotten egg smell that leaks through cat into AC vents. This is a huge issue and Ford is hiding. Big corporation killing its customers with co gas and they are hiding.what a bunch of chickens. Just running from the problem.

- , Northridge, CA, USA

Dec 112015

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

Early this month I bought a brand new 2016 Ford Explorer to my wife. The first day we went to try our new suv and above 65 miles/hr we start to smell a bad odor into the cabin. I immediately took it back to the Ford Official dealer and they start to try to solve the problem. Different to others experiences, the Ford Team in my city tried to help me, the manager of this dealer went to try the suv with me and certified the problem. After several days they found a numerous open spaces in the back door of the suv, apparently Ford is not taking care about back door isolation, light and water is leaking into the cabin after some tests made by the mechanics at ford dealer. They tried to isolate the open areas with some materials but the smell keep into the cabin under the same driving conditions. After many investigations I figured out that all this suvs have a problem of air and fume turbulence generation in the back side of them, this a design problem but other car manufacturers have different actions to avoid this problem in their cars. Last week I went to the dealer to return my Limited Ford Explorer 2016 with less than 400 miles... I'm waiting for Ford to return my money or really solve the problem but I don't have much hopeness because after read different stories, this problem comes from 2012 models and Ford hasn't made anything... If Ford Motors does not matter to poison my family with carbon monoxide I will have this issue until the last consequences...

- , El Tigre, Venezuela