8.7

$600

Most common solutions:

1. replace with a different brand of tires (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

Mar 012018

Explorer Sport V6

Within 8 months of purchasing my 2016 Ford Explorer, I noticed the Hanook tires that came with the car were peeling. I had to go through a lot of pain to get this covered and had to pay out of pocket about $500 to get the tires replaced, I put on Yokohama tires, I was not happy to say the least for a brand new car. Then I had sidewall damage and put a Firestone Bridgstone tire. Now in 2018 three of the Yokahama tires are peeling and have some gouging around the outer edges, the Firestone tire is fine. The Yokahama tires have good tread except for the peeling. I am very frustrated now. When I took it to dealer they told me because i have been driving on rocks... that is not true...I live in the city. Looks like I am going to have to invest $800 on tires, but I am going to Firestone. I have never had so much trouble with tires in my life! Wondering if its a bad design on the car that is causing the tires to keep peeling...

- Jill K., San Antonio, US

Nov 052017

Explorer XLT

Hankook tires are total Crap! With all the known problems Hyundai and Kia had with Hankook in 2015, I cannot understand why Ford continued to provide these on one of their most popular models into mid 2016 after a known recall earlier that year. These are the original tires provided on the vehicle when I took delivery in May 2016. The tires lasted 30,000 miles and 18 months with 80% of the mileage being interstate driving. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the front left tire started to lose air. Upon inspection, the tread is peeling off the tire. Upon further inspection, the other tires are not far behind! This is the first and absolutely the last time I will have Hankook tires on my car. Over the past several decades I have had excellent results with other brands that will remain nameless. The Ford dealership told me I was on my own about this situation. The official tire warranty will only give me 30% of the cost. By comparison, the last tires I had to replace were Michelin tires on my 2008 Buick Enclave. Those lasted SIX YEARS and replacement was not due to tread wear, but dry rot because of old age! Six years versus 18 months! I think it's easy to see where I'm going with this.

- Ernest H., Harahan, US

May 012017

Explorer Platinum

click to see larger images

tread is shredding off of tires tread is shredding off of tires

Parts of the hankook ventus S1 noble2 255/50R20 105H tire treads are just ripping off for no apparent reason on my two front tires. This is an 2016 Ford Explorer AWD vehicle. It now has 16,600 miles. This vehicle is just used by me in everyday driving. They are breaking off without being mistreated. First noticed in May of 2017 and reported to my Ford dealer. They said there were no recalls. Happened again today October 20, 2017. Tread was so bad tires had to be replaced. Very dangerous to drive. I feel the tires are defective and Hankook should pay for the replacement.

- laquetsh, Spring Hill, US