7.8

Most common solutions:

2. dealer drovemy explorer with co detector , no problem found (1 reports)
  3. trade in (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Aug 112017

Explorer Sport 3.5L

Brand new car, it was at the dealer for the exhaust smell in the cabin from Sept 25 to Oct 6. We picked it up on Friday around 5 pm and the exhaust smell is still in the cabin. The smell is very strong under acceleration. We have left a message at the dealer for a follow up to fix this health concerning problem

- , Lutz, US

May 312017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

I traded in a perfectly good 2013 Ford Edge for the 2017 Explorer. I didn't have any issues, at least that I knew of anyway, until I went to pass a vehicle and pushed the gas to pass. About 5 seconds after I did that, the exhaust fumes filled the cabin. I hate to have to pass a car now because every time I get on the gas to pass a vehicle, that smell fills the cabin about 5 seconds later. You have to roll down the windows to get fresh air. I am concerned about the times we are just driving. Is carbon monoxide filling the cabin? Very scared to drive long distances. Have considered trading it in but since we've only had it 4 months, I know we would lose our shirt on a trade. Very disappointed.....

- , Richwood, US

Sep 092017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

I have COPD and difficulty breathing and coughing persists! The exhaust in the cabin is disturbing and makes my asthma so bad I am using my emergency inhaler far too much to stop my symptoms of gasping for my next breath! REcall is needed by Ford for my 2017 Explorer, This happens every day I drive, and my husband reports the same exhaust in cabin.

I traded in my 2014 Explorer for the same reason, and the salesman said everyone is trading in their Explorer for the same reason BUT the 2017 has been totally new designed, so I fell for that! I have been faithful to FORD purchasing 4 Thunderbirds, 3 Mustangs, 2 Explorers, 3 E-250 vans, and a Ranger Extended cab, oh and don't forget the pinto and the Maverick.

Where is Fords loyalty to me? I should be able to trade this SUV for something that will not hurt my COPD or KILL me. I called my dealer but no one has returned my call!!!!!!!!!!!

Update from Oct 17, 2017: ehaust in cabin making my COPD very hard to breathe!!! Taking so much medecine to catch my breath!!!!!!!!!!!!! Car dealer send you do not have exhaust fumes in cabin of your 2017 Ford Explorer

- , Weymouth, US

Sep 092017

Explorer LX

AC has funny smell. Has made my 17 yr old son sick. He has ashtma and has been dealing with dizziness, nausea, vomitting and fatigue for 3 to 4 days now. I have been feeling fatigue while driving and the more time I spend driving the worst it gets. I purchased my 17 Ford Explorer in March 2017 and since then it seems we have been feeling sick.

- , Houston, US

Jul 262017

Explorer LX

click to see larger images

exhaust fumes in cabin

Passenger complains of headache, dizziness, nausea every time she is in vehicle for longer than 20 minutes. She saw an article about CO leaks in the new ford explorers, so I decided to put a fire department Carbon Monoxide detector inside the vehicle. Low and behold, there is CO in the passenger compartment.

- , Pasadena, MD, US

Jun 062017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

My COPD /asthma is exacerbated and breathing is difficult, shortness of breath, lightheaded, taking so much medication and nebulizer breathing treatments, inhalers, but my heath has worsened in 3 months of purchasing the 2017 Explorer!!

When I traded my 2015 FORD EXPLORER in a salesman told me everyone is trading their 2011- 2015 Explorer in due to EXHAUST FUME ISSUES, but the 2017 EXPLORER is all NEW DESIGN and I accepted that from a salesman who I trusted! I feel like my chest is so tight EVERYDAY and I will die from the Exhaust and carbon monoxides and dioxides!!!

- , Weymouth, US

Jun 232017

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

Exhaust in the cabin is very sickening in my 2017 Exployer and was the same problem in my 2013 Exployer. Called my salesman to discuss and he said he has a lot of them out there and that I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT COMPLAINED to him about the problem. A standard come back from sales people when they do not want to admit there is a problem. The 2017 is brand new and Ford does not have an answer for me. There are national news items with police departments complaining and having big issues about this problem!!! Why after four to five years has this not been fixed?????? I paid for the 2013 to have something done about it and FORD would not cover it even under warranty, and the problem still existed. I was not going to keep paying for Ford to keep experimenting at my expense. Guess I thought the problem would not be in the 2017, boy was I wrong.

- , Crosby, US

May 022017

Explorer Sport V6

In the middle day I I fell asleep driving at 35mph.I Think is CO2 but cant prove it. Brand new Explorer Sport , also all kinds of electrical problems also.

- , Gig Harbor WA., US

Feb 152017

Explorer Platinum 3.5L V6 Ecoboost

The exhaust in the cabin is so strong it gives me severe headaches and nausea. The dealership is replacing the catalytic converter, and I'm not sure that will actually fix the problem.

- , Minnetonka, US

Feb 242017

Explorer Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost

Aggravating to say the least. Previously owned a 2012 with the same problem. Had to trade it in after they dragged out the fix until I was stuck with it. Now happening 5 years later. You think they would have fixed the problem by now. And-- of course I asked the dealer if the problem was fixed before buying it and they denied knowing anything about it. If Ford cannot fix it, scrap the entire design and start over. Love the vehicle otherwise, but not going to be patient this time waiting for a fix with young kids in the car. Ugggg.

- , Palm City, FL, US