Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Explorer:

Nov 302017

Explorer

Exhaust leaking into cabin of vehicle: While driving I noticed after a period of 1 hour I get dizzy, headaches, and feel nauseated. When after arriving at my destination I felt very lethargic taking many hours before I felt relief. My wife noticed it driving on a two hour trip where her vision became doubled. After being out of the vehicle she for a period of time she felt better. I spoke with my dealer about the issue when doing routine maintenance and Ford told me that their is no recall at the moment for this complaint.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Nov 182017

Explorer

There's exhaust fume in the cabin after hard acceleration(RPM was around 5000). And my family suffered a severe headache after 90 minutes driving included my 12 months old baby. My car has already been repaired twice in Ford, but it has not been resolved.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Nov 102017

Explorer

I bought a 2017 Ford Explorer for my daughter to drive back and forth to college. She has been experiencing dizziness, headaches and nearly passed out after driving the vehicle. When I get in the vehicle and start it up, it smells like exhaust inside the vehicle. There is obviously a problem.

- Owens Cross Roads, AL, USA

Nov 022017

Explorer

Carbon monoxide emissions in air conditioning system

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 202017

Explorer

Originally filed complaint 10883479 and 10954630 on a 2015 Ford Explorer limited for exhaust odor in the cabin. After several tsb repairs the exhaust odor was still in the cabin. On June 20, 2017, I paid $4670.29 and Ford replaced my 2015 with a similar 2017 Ford Explorer limited. About 12 miles after driving my new 2017 down the freeway from the dealership, there was exhaust odor in the cabin on my new Explorer. So I filed another complaint 11010052, see details of failure mode. Thereafter Ford did phase 1 of tsb 17-0044 on order 57558, and after further exhaust odors in the cabin, Ford did the second phase of the tsb on order 57730. I still have exhaust odor in the cabin, the odor is not as strong and does not last as long, but it is still there. Ford advised that there is another repair 17N03, but this appears to already to have been done on the tsb 17-0044. The dealer, scott peterson motors of sturgis in sd, has done all that they can do so far I appreciate their efforts in going the extra mile. Consequently, I am filing another complaint in an effort to assist Ford in resolving this problem.

- Box Elder, SD, USA

Oct 212017

Explorer

There's some burning odor in the cabin. My family suffered a severe headache after 2 hours driving included my 11 months old baby.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Dec 262016

Explorer

Smell of egg/sulfur in the cabin of the car after rapid acceleration. I had notified the dealership at my last oil change. They didn┐T seem concerned about it. The smells has continued. Dealership is now telling me to wait till Nov 1st. This has been happening since I bought the car in Dec 2016 and has steadily gotten worse. I didn┐T think it was a big deal since the dealership didn┐T seem concerned.

- Bismarck, AR, USA

Nov 012016

Explorer

Having head aches and short of breath, chest pains, fatigue, dizziness. Hard time breathing. Possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Oct 162017

Explorer

Exhaust is entering the vehicle and making myself and my 2.5 year old son sick. I immediately get a headache when driving and feel nauseous, extreme fatigue, body and muscle aches, memory issues, confusion, and I've been coughing up brown mucous which is linked to the inhalation of hazardous pollution and gases. These symptoms last long after I am finished driving my car and haven't gone away for more than four days. My son is having the same symptoms and it makes me nervous because exposure to these gases will hinder his neurodevelopment. It is difficult to say when the gas is entering the car, but I opened my sunroof while driving this morning with the windows up and the A/C on and I could smell a natural gas smell and I felt the effects of inhaling the gas immediately. The gas was escaping through the sunroof and right by my head.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Oct 172017

Explorer

Car smells like rotten eggs from the outside of the vehicle. I noticed a slight odor in the trunk area, but it's mostly coming from underneath the vehicle.

- Holland, OH, USA

Oct 072017

Explorer

My parents bought this unit 8 months ago from tipton Ford dealership in brownsville tx. Soon after that my mom starting complaining about tingling in her hands and had lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks. She was recently admitted in the hospital for 4 days with carbon monoxide level in her blood. The local Ford dealership has not been helpful what so ever.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Oct 142017

Explorer

My wife and I purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer and she was complaining of burning eyes and nesuea I did think nothing of it until I saw a cbs report about the police interceptors so when I went to my local dealership and asked them about it they said not to worry because my Explorer was not part of the recall please NHTSA make them take the Explorer back and exchange it's not fair that we paid for a $34,000 vehicle that is not safe for us and the public thank you,

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Oct 152017

Explorer

Exhaust smell.....rotten eggs or sulfer smell while accelerating with the A/C on in recirculate so I know its not from outside vehicles

- Bedford, TX, USA

Oct 012017

Explorer

When accelerating vehicle over 45 mph exhaust fumes inside vehicle apparently coming through ac vents

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Sep 202017

Explorer

Exhaust fumes coming inside car when accelerating

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jul 012017

Explorer

Our 2017 Ford Explorer Sport has a constant foul smell after acceleration. The smell overwhelms the passenger compartment and is similar to a sulfur or burning hair smell. Additionally, if the vehicle is stopped idle for any period of time, upon initial acceleration, a large cloud of white smoke comes from the tailpipes.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 012017

Explorer

Exhaust fumes in cabin are extremely strong when driving 35 mph or highway. I am lightheaded, dizzy, trouble breathing exasperated with copd and asthma. Dealer said they did not notice exhaust in cabin with co detector.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Sep 302017

Explorer

Exhaust fume leaks into passenger cabin - problem since purchasing this vehicle new this spring; anytime when accelerating to merge into highway traffic with recirculating ac on a burning oil or acrid odor leaks into the cabin. In an attempt to fix the problem the local Ford dealer ┐resealed" the undercarriage, however the problem persist. On a recent 400 mile road trip with recirculating ac on passenger and driver got very drowsy, windows had to be opened, recirculating ac turned off and stops made to shake off the effects. My previous 2013 Ford Explorer had the same exhaust problem but never like this. When I purchased this new model I took it on faith the "problem" wouldn't affect the 2017S. Ford has had a long time to figure this out and correct whatever manufacturing or design defect is causing this. I will contact the local dealer who has been very accommodating to advise I have filed this complaint. I just want a SUV that doesn't have this issue since 80% of my trips are 40+ miles of highway driving at higher speeds. All I want is a Ford Explorer that doesn┐T put my health at risk.

- Dale, TX, USA

Oct 032017

Explorer

Since buying my Explorer I have noticed any time I accelerate I begin to notice an awful smell. If we do not roll windows down, everyone in the vehicle gets nauseous or dizzy. Today while accelerating on the interstate I had to quickly stop to throw up. It has never gotten to that point until today. After bringing it to nearest Ford dealership it was confirmed that it is a carbon monoxide leak and I would have to take it back to where I purchased it to have it repaired.

- Ville Platte, LA, USA

Jul 312017

Explorer

When driving vehicle I suffer from burning eyes, headache, nasea, feeling ill, vehicle was at dealer for CO2 leak, vehicle was out of service for approximately 60 days, I picked it up, drove home approximately 30 minutes and became ill, same as before it was supposedly repaired. I returned it to dealer the same day so they can try to figure why repair didn't correct the problem, I was told a district technician would need to come inspect the vehicle, this has been a problem since the first day we drove it home from the dealer. Vehicle has less than 3,000 miles on it. This repair was supposed to be the "recall repair" for CO2 leaking into vehicle, this repair did not resolve my issue, so not sure if Ford really has this figured out yet.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA