8.4

$1,000

Most common solutions:

1. replace tires (9 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jul 192019

Explorer Platinum V6

My car came with Hankook ventus s1 noble. I observed a year ago, these tires were getting ripped off . Small chips started coming off and now it did not pass safety inspection and I replaced my tires with BridgeStone tires and need to see how they work. I spoke to dealer about premature wearing, he mentioned ford 35000 miles is better mileage. I live in dc metro area and roads are good. It is painful to replace tires just for this mileage. Ford has to find a fix for premature wearing of this issue and reimburse for tires.

- Thulasi V., Aldie, US

Jun 282019

Explorer Sport 3.5L

I noticed recently that the front left tire is peeling/ chunks coming off. Not sure why this problem started. Hoping Ford can fix the issue without charging me. I encourage others to report any or similar problem here, so we all can make our cases with Ford.

- smohammad, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Oct 082018

Explorer Limited

Tires worn prematurely at 18000 miles

Hankook 20in factory tire

- Mihcael B., Somerset, MA, US

May 152019

Explorer Limited

The tires on my car are just like everyone is describing. There are chunks of rubber coming off all around the two front tires. For the car to only have 25,000 miles and it already needs replacing, well I wasn’t ready for that. I can’t believe I have to buy new tires already!

- shellyann, Lake Havasu Cit86406, US

Sep 012017

Explorer XLT Sport V6

My tire tread has been flaking, tearing, pieces coming off for some time now, since about 2017. I have brought it up a few times being told I can't be helped, and I finally learn of issues with these tires and to deal with Hankook. I am now told I have too many miles though just this passed December 2018 I tried to get this issue resolved then as well. I feel Hankook should replace my tires.

- Doshia S., Santa Rosa Beach, US

Nov 012018

Explorer Limited V6

Tires wearing very quickly, flaking rubber and losing pieces of the tire. there are chunks of rubber missing that are 1/4 deep.

This is the second set of tires we have replaced. The dealership took ownership of the problem and replaced the damaged tires 6 months ago, and told us this is the newer version of the tire, but the same problem has returned.

- Jeremy A., Flower Mound, TX, US

Oct 012018

Explorer XL

Tires are worn, normal city driving, regular rotation and now all need to be replaced at my expense. This is a known issue and should be a recall at this point. Unsafe!

- Michelle S., Chadwicks, US

Sep 032018

Explorer Sport 3.5L

Tires have less than 20K miles and all 4 need to be replaced. Front tire is shredding. Truck never been off road and tires have been rotated every 5K miles as per Ford dealer. Tread wear is rated at 500, Think not.

- Leif L., Conway, SC, US

Jan 012018

Explorer XLT 3.2L

Tires tread is at 3!! They're peeling and chipping. Definitely a safety concern. Ford is not addressing the problem.

- Ahmad A., windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 222018

Explorer XLT 3.5L

My two front tire treads were worn and therefore replaced at 8,193 miles. I just reached 10,000 miles and again they are showing more wear than my back tires. A brand new vehicle should not be going through two tires before 15,000 miles

- Sherrie C., Boca Raton, FL, US

Apr 112018

Explorer ELT 3.2L V6

I rolled out of the Ford dealership in September 2016. It's now April 2018 and after 20,320 miles my tires are worn. Not sure what the warranty period is on these Hankook tires, but I will definitely be contacting Ford to figure this out.

- mbac76, Miami, US