8.9

Most common solutions:

1. helicoil insert (32 reports)
  3. bigserts are inserts instead of helicoil (9 reports)
  4. tapered seat insert in head (not helicoil) (6 reports)
  5. cylinder head repair kit (5 reports)
  6. replaced cylinder head (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

May 012017

Ford needs to fix

- , York, PA, US

Apr 292017

F-150 XLT 5.4L

This happened on my way to the lake with my boat. Glad I had no fire and plenty of room on side of the road to pull over. it took several hours to get two tow trucks there to tow both to my house. Two different insurance companies. No charge to have boat towed but American Family insurance would only tow to nearest garage. It cost me $ 168 extra to get it towed to my house. Now in search for different insurance co. Not sure about best solution to get it fixed and money wise. Repair damage, new heads or rebuilt engine.

- , Glendale, AZ, US

Dec 162015

F-150 4.6L

I just bought the truck at Cherry's auto and had the truck 4 months and it blew the spark plug and it had been fixed before I am paying for a truck I cannot drive. I will never buy a ford again. This is not right.

- , Carrollton, OH, US

Nov 182016

F-150 Crew Cab 4.6L

Drove 50 miles on 7 cylinders! with exhaust fumes giving us headaches! Thanks FORD!! I will not buy another FORD TRUCK!

- , North Dartmouth, MA, US

Nov 282016

Plugs blowing out of the engine? wtf? That's 1/2 mile from my house at 25 mph

- , prescott valley, AZ, USA

Nov 012016

F-150 5.4L

Crap. I just got my truck paid off last month. And, spark plug blows out. I'm not a mechanic, I don't have a friend to help me fix this. I am not mechanical at all. I love my truck. I need my truck. I just wanted to enjoy a few extra bucks for a few months.....geez!

- , Tenino, WA, USA

Apr 032014

F-150 5.4L

My wife and I were stuck in a spring storm. This could have been disastrous. Fortunately the COP got torn off and no fire occurred.

- , Vandalia, MI, USA

Aug 052016

F-150 XL 4.6L V8

Just had to replace the transmission at 258,000 miles for $2k. Then less than a week later a spark plug blows out. My mechanic was not surprised and says it's a normal occurrence for these motors. I ask how Ford gets away with a poor design costing us money without consequence.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 082016

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

4th Delta Houseboat run from El Cajon, Ca to Stockton, CA with bass boat. A couple of off ramps away from marina a loud exhaust machine gun sound came from under my hood. Coasted to off ramp and found #3 spark plug when looking at engine passenger side blown out of head. MacGyver'd plug back in to complete destination. Took truck to Big Valley Ford for repair. They rethreaded #3 spark plug and installed insert. All new spark plugs and boots replaced and #3 coil also replaced. Truck made it back home.

- , El Cajon, CA, USA

May 132016

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton V8

This is causing me a lot of stress. In all of my 36 years of driving I have never experienced this problem and it is ridiculous. I tried a repair kit from the parts store but the threads were blown out too bad so now I will have to spend $300 on a full repair kit that I found on Amazon. I was checking for any recalls on the situation before I drop the $300 on the kit. After the plug launched into outer space I was looking around and discovered this wasn't the first time this has happened to this truck because there was another broken coil pack. The previous owner must have repaired the #1 plug and used the same coil pack because it is broken at the screw down point. Now I had the #3 plug on the passenger side launch. Also I experienced the reverse problem when I owned a 07 F-150 with the 3 piece plugs getting stuck. WTF Ford from one extreme to the other. Tighten Up.

- , Midlothian, VA, USA

May 242016

F-150 XLT 4.6L

Driving normal speed in town when the engine started making popping sound. I pulled over and opened the hood and found the coilover and sparkplug had blown out of the engine. I will have it towed home tomorrow. Pretty sad when you take care of your vehicles and this happens. The plugs are original.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 032016

F-150

Hard to believe that so many problems of this same thing and yet all the complaints and no one takes responsibility for this. I am a Ford man and sure would think they would man up but guess not. Had a Chevy before this truck never had a problem or recall with it should have stuck with a Chevy I guess.

- , New Washingtio, OH, USA

Mar 102016

F-150 5.4L

I've had three spark plugs blow out of this pickup. I've never even heard of any engine in my life that the spark plugs blow out consistently and commonly. This is a huge engineering flaw and should be the companies cost to repair and or take care of instead of the consumer.

- , Osborne, KS, USA

Feb 252016

F-150 5.4L

2002 F150 Harley Davidson with 75,000 miles. Spark plug blew, first time ever hearing of something like this happening to a engine. Poor design FORD ( Fix or repair daily). This is not normal wear and tear. You could be held responsible for engineering a substandard product. A spark plug blowing out of a engine. What is going on with our USA brand products. Lets go class action. I'm in.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Feb 052016

F-150 5.4V8

I cant believe the spark plug would just blow out as it did. Then I found out it's an on going problem with this motor but ford said it not their problem and wanted $300.00 to fix it. Now I have to worry about the other seven plugs or do I need to just sell my truck.

- , Glasgow, KY, USA

Oct 262015

F-150 XLT 5.7V8

This just happened yesterday, so we are not certain as to what the problem is, but we think it is another spark plug blow out. The last one was #3, back in 2008. The issue I write of today is from an apparent plug blow out in Menomonie, WI. We are waiting to hear from a mechanic for his diagnosis, but the POW in the engine brought back clear memories of when this happened with this truck when we had it in AZ in 2008

WE WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD TRUCK/VEHICLE unless they own the spark plug blowout problems in their trucks, and compensate us something for this huge expense.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 192008

F-150 XLT 5.7V8

Out of the blue while driving on a road to town.......POW! Sounded like the engine blew. Could not drive it without a terrible loud engine sound, so called a tow truck. Had it towed to the Ford Dealer in Apache Junction, AZ. They told us the engine was shot---5K for a new engine--nothing else they could do.

Happened to have a brother in law that told a buddy about it. He knew of the Ford issues with spark plug blow outs and he knew of a guy in Mesa that could fix it. Had the truck towed to Kenny Speed tire and Performance Center in Mesa. Tow was $81.00, Parts were $117.18, Labor was $297.50, tax $9.43--total bill $505.11. Add to that the original tow to Ford Dealer of $175.00. So our actual cost=$680.11

Although this was much less than the 5K engine, it was a big expense for us.

If the Ford trucks are known for this, why was there not a recall.

Story continues with my next complaint........

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 182015

F-150 Lariat Triton V8 5.4L

Spark plug ejected. Left stranded 40 miles from no where. Thank god for AAA

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

Nov 112015

F-150 XL 5.4L

Im tired of repairing this engine. It is the 6th cylinder to be repaired in the last 5 years. I need help or I need to seek advice through the community as why we still buy fords?

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Oct 162015

F-150

My fiancé was driving home from work, not towing, never have towed anything with this pickup, and all of a sudden a loud bang was heard and sounded like the exhaust fell off. He was still able to drive it so he got home and then after talking with me he went to the transmission shop where they told him it was a blown out spark plug and that it is common with this year Ford pickup and wanted almost $400 to fix the one spark plug. So he came home and we decided he should take it to my mechanic down the road just a few blocks and he was about $70 cheaper and the mechanic said that he was lucky it didn't blow all the way out but it will still cost around $300 plus.

Ford needs to do something about this and after reading all the complaints about this common problem I am wondering how many of the people complaining are actually taking it a step further and taking their complaint to Ford and the Better Business Bureau? I hope you are all doing something so that this does not get swept under the rug. I started this first step by making it known to the public (this forum) and the next step is to report it to BBB, and then onto writing a letter to Ford. Hopefully they will offer to pay part of the bill; if not I will be reporting this to the papers so that other consumers will not buy Ford products again.

- , Nowhere, OR, USA