Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

Sep 192014

F-150

The contact's father owned a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration without warning. While in a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated and spun out of control. The driver struck a curb to avoid crashing into other vehicles in the parking lot. As a result, the vehicle went airborne and struck a telephone pole, but continued to accelerate at a high rate of speed upon touching the ground. The vehicle then drove over another curb and crashed into some bushes. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The driver sustained injuries that required medical treatment. The vehicle was towed and placed in storage. The contact's father no longer owns the vehicle because he is deceased due to unrelated circumstances. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was notified later of the crash. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lebanon, VA, USA

Feb 282018

F-150

The recall ie an inline fuse on speed control deactivation switch did not work it just caught on fire and ruined my master cylinder and brake system.it wont hold brake fluid now because the switch melted into it.Ford says oh well recalls been done

- Leesville, LA, USA

May 072015

F-150

Two issues: 1] both rear doors in the extended cab (swing counterclockwise) door latches jammed preventing exiting or entry. If egress was needed quickly, it was not there. The cost to repair each was about $450. (locked up while driving) 2]speed control does not work - Ford says it is a malfunctioning control that cost about $500 to replace. (when vehicle is in operation)

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Aug 082017

F-150

Got home from work parked my vehicle in my carport available space in my apartment. Turn off the truck completely, nothing left on or anything suspicious to cause a incident. When to my apartment unit took a shower and not more than 20-30mins was alarmed that my vehicle was caught on fire. I immediately ran outside to the carport saw the engine on fire, tried to stop it with anything that I could find (water holes) or extinguisher. My neighbors called 911 as I saw the flames getting higher and stronger the fire moved into my daughters vehicle which was parked next to our other carport space and caught on fire as well. Overall, there are two vehicles completely destroyed. There was also two other vehicles involved that have some burning damages. As well as property damages into our available parking spaces. Some windows from the lower apartments were cracked. My vehicle was parked into my parking port, not in motion but turned off completely.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Seed contral.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jan 102016

F-150

In 12-14 and 1-10-2016 the butterfly in the throttle body stuck and vehicle wouldn't slow down. 1st incident -10F, came from warm garage, interstate, cruise control in use, in about 15 minutes of driving eventually speed got to 85mph on its own, cruise shut off and vehicle maintained 85 mph, once stopped throttle and cruise cable were checked and free, butterfly was stuck partially open when manually moved and broke free, problem went away; 2nd date -5F came from warm garage, interstate, cruise on, 20 minutes into trip, similar results, weather clear low humidity, vehicle would not slow down, cruise shut off, no-load engine speed over 5000 RPM, vehicle speed 65mph on level with no throttle input, cables when checked were free, brakes would barely slow vehicle, engine operated normally once butterfly was broke free but problem reoccurred about 30 minutes later. Ford F150 XLT 4.6L automatic supercrew, no problem noted when weather is warmer

- Norwalk, IA, USA

Feb 072013

F-150

There was a recall for the cruse control, it was replaced by Ford, because it could cause a fire, the new one worked for about a year and stop working, never work after that. 2nd item is rear window and drivers passanger window leak rain water inside the cab, leaks everytime it rains in motion or stationary.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 042015

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving to the office, and approached a red light so I started slowing down. Once I reached 15 mph my 2002 4.2 L F150 accelerated extremely high. I was applying the brake but the truck was still slowly moving, so with my foot still on the brake I turned into the office parking lot. I tried to put it in park but it was a struggle, I called my daughter outside when I was in the office parking lot, and she told me the rear tires were spinning. When I finally got it in park I turned the truck off. I gave it approximately one minute and turned the truck back on, and it was still accelerating extremely high so I turned the truck back off so it wouldn't damage my engine. After an hour I turned the truck back on, and the truck was back to normal. After doing a bit of research I saw tons of articles with instances similar to mine, so I disconnected the cruise control switch and took it to the nearest shop.

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Sep 232014

F-150

I parked the vehicle and 20 minutes later discovered the vehicle on fire. Further investigation revealed that master cylinder was totally engulfed in flame. The fire damaged the wire harness, air filter, fuse box and completely melted the cylinder.

- Christiansted , VI, USA

Mar 222014

F-150 8-cyl

On March 22, 2014, the truck was parked in a local parking lot, the ignition key was removed and the truck was locked. The driver returned to the truck to find that while it was parked, a fire had begun in the engine compartment of the truck, and the fire department and police department were on the scene putting out the fire. Because of the quick actions of an individual parked nearby who used a fire hose to contain the fire until the fire department arrived, the cabin and the body of the truck were spared, and the damage was localized to the engine compartment. The cause of the fire was the speed control deactivation switch.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 162014

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, I pushed the on button for the cruise control and pushed the set/excel button at 70 mph. After a minute or so I looked down and was going 75 and accelerating. I tapped the break which had no effect. I tapped the break several more time but the truck kept accelerating. I pushed the off button several times while continuing to pump the break. The cruise control finally went off. Several miles down the road I tried to use the cruise control again with the same results. My truck is a 4.2L V6 and has had the recall taken care of several years ago. This appears to have happened to several other people and could have had a disastrous outcome.

- Harrisburg, MO, USA

Apr 162014

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle burst into flames after the alarm sounded. The contact personally extinguished the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Nov 082013

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked and not operating when it caught on fire. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. The contact indicated that the vehicle was destroyed and only the bed of vehicle remained. No additional information was available regarding the incident. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Freeport, TX, USA

Feb 262014

F-150 6-cyl

Throttle body linkage "plastic cover clamshell" cracked in half at plastic hinge (oxidized plastic). Loose plastic cover wedged open throttle fully causing "dangerous life threatening" driving stuck at full throttle. I have the cover and photos if you want me to send them.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Aug 242013

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 60 mph, he attempted to increase speed via the cruise control steering wheel controls. After reaching the target speed, the vehicle continued to accelerate and the cruise control failed to deactivate. The contact shut off the vehicle to regain control. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 72,899.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Apr 032013

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was unoccupied, it ignited into flames. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was completely destroyed. Prior to the failure, there was a brake fluid leakage. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The contact experienced the similar consequence as mentioned in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 175,000.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Apr 092012

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while reversing from of residential garage, sparks and smoke started to emit from the steering column. The contact mentioned that the failure stopped once the vehicle was shut off. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 142,000.

- Hereford, AZ, USA

Dec 152011

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph with the cruise control activated and suddenly without intent the cruise control failed to operate. In addition, the horn would not sound upon engaging. The authorized dealer was notified and they informed the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). A few years later, the identical failure recurred. The vehicle had not been repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000....update 01/20/12 updated 01/25/12

- Van Buren , AR, USA

Oct 212011

F-150 6-cyl

I am reporting this incident as the person who's car was affected by the fire. I parked my car next to a 2002 Ford F150, and after being home for about an hour and a half, a police officer came to my door and told me that my car (VW jetta) was involved in a car fire. Apparently the F150 caught fire and burned my car, a bush, and another car. The fire marshal on scene explained to me that Ford had a recall on multiple vehicles that had this problem. The F150 in question is totaled and has to be towed off the property. I have since come inside and found the switchfires.com website, and clicked on the link provided below, which in turn has led to giving in my info, and discussing my dilemma.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jul 182011

F-150 8-cyl

Faulty cruise control shorted out causing fire in the engine compartment and damaging some wires, air filter housing, fuse box, brake master cylinder, hood strut and hood.

- Conway, AR, USA