Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

Aug 212019

F-150

I bought this vehicle used with 151,000 miles on it. It ran good for a couple weeks then it stalled when I was going into a left hand turn but restarted. It repeated the problem a few more times then would not restart. I towed it back to the used car dealer I bought it from and they replacedd the fuel pump. That lasted about 2 weeks now the problem has returned. I seen many owners had the same problem with their trucks. Ford need's to take care of this before someone gets killed. The vehicle stalled under all conditions. At a idle, at 70 miles an hour on the interstate, in the city at 40 mph

- Hahira, GA, USA

Sep 052018

F-150

My truck stalled while entering freeway lanes. I went from 60mph to 10mph and was nearly read ended. The truck finally stalled just as I made it to the shoulder. Two hours later, my truck stalled while doing 40mph on a surface street. I had to pull into a center turn lane to avoid blocking traffic. Fuel was at half a tank. Oil level was good.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 112018

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While driving 55 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle for approximately 30 minutes. The contact referenced tsb number: 15-0137 (crank no-start, stalling) as a possible cause of the failure. The dealer (mossy Ford, 858-273-7500) was called and stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152017

F-150

On December 15, 2017, while driving on I35 in heavy traffic in fort worth, Texas, the F150 autonomously accelerated to maximum RPM and would not slow down. The cruise control was not on. We were forced to ride the breaks hard until we were able to exit the freeway, put the vehicle in neutral and break to a stop. We turned the vehicle off and restarted. The vehicle still went to maximum rpms so we shut down the vehicle again. Five minutes later we restarted the vehicle and the engine performed normally. We drove it immediately to our local auto repair shop. The local auto repair center was not able to replicate the issue and the vehicle shows no fault codes. Upon searching the internet, we discovered no open recalls on this vehicle and we are not the only Ford customers to experience this issue.

- Bartonville, TX, USA

Jun 282017

F-150

2009 Ford F150 with 146,000 miles needed to have engine replaced due to scored cams. It appears this has been a common problem with the 5.4 engines. We are one-time owners of this vehicle and have great maintenance records. I believe a recall should be made for this

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jun 162017

F-150

At less than 63,000 miles, my Ford F-150 5.4 liter engine is failing. I just returned from the dealership earlier today with over $2800 worth of repair estimates; however, the vehicle shook and rattled when idling at a stop light and appeared to be overheating. Vehicle is garage kept, gets regular oil changes and maintenance, and is driven mainly on highways. I do not pull anything (boats, campers, etc.). internet forums are loaded with complains about this engine and all surround the cam phasers and local engine parts failing. Ford has no recall and will do nothing! I have a case in their system as of this evening and would like the government to start issuing guidance to consumers and get a recall process underway. Issue was first noticed when I tried to start the truck one night in mid-June. I was finally able to get an appointment in mid-July to get this diagnosis.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jun 292017

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While attempting to start the vehicle, the engine turned over but did not start. The vehicle was inspected by two independent mechanics who replaced the #27 fuse and relay, but were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also replaced the battery and fuel module in the vehicle, but the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. A dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and transferred the contact directly to the NHTSA hotline to check for recalls and to file a complaint. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Adams, MA, USA

Apr 292017

F-150

Cracked exhaust manifold 2009 Ford F150 5.4 Triton V8. I have now cracked the second right side engine exhaust manifold. This is irritating as exhaust fumes enter the passenger cab when stopped.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Apr 072017

F-150

Spark plug blows out of heads at 80774 miles prior to first tune up interval. Could of caused a engine fire.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 042017

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While driving 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Gilmer, TX, USA

Mar 222017

F-150

Vehile has/shut down on 6 or 7 separate occasions while sitting in a parking lot or at a stop lights the steering also locked up while trying to turn left. I have taken it to several but the only thing they tell I need a new engine, . which we cannot afford, we got it serviced on time and took care of it thinking we would have it for many years. Now it is garbage I have always defended Ford but now am so upset don't know what we will do.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Oct 202016

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was an exhaust leak and fractured bolts in the manifold. The independent mechanic informed the contact that the vehicle should be taken to an authorized dealer for further diagnostic testing. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine cam, timing sensors, and gears failed and the engine would need to be replaced. The failure occurred 24 hours after the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,136.

- Riddleton, NC, USA

Oct 212016

F-150

Spark plugs can not be removed due to most breaking. Most of the spark plugs are frozen and break when you try to remove. Ford recommends replacing plugs at 100000 miles.

- Greeneville, TN, USA

Jul 012016

F-150

Spark plug ejection. On 4/24/16, #3 cylinder ejected the spark plug, recommended repair was to use/install heli-coil. 7/1/16, #3 cylinder ejected the spark plug again, this time damaging the cylinder head. Now waiting for an estimate and to see if the head can be repaired or has to be replaced. Both times, vehicle was accelerating from a stop when traffic light changed from red to green.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 022016

F-150

My truck has only 30,000 miles on it. While driving it, the 5.4 liter engine started knocking severely and would not power the vehicle. I managed to avoid a major accident and get it pulled over to the side of the freeway. I had fortunately purchased the extended warranty and took it to the dealer. When I got it to the dealer, all the service writers acknowledged that the 5.4 has a serious problem. The mechanic examined it and stated that it was a cam phaser issue. Here is the problem: Ford knows that the 5.4 liter engine has this problem and will not acknowledge it because there are 1,000S of these on the road and they do not want to pay to fix them. That is why they discontinued the engine. What is really bad, is that the NHTSA knows about it as well. Ford needs to fix these trucks before someone gets hurt. I barely got the truck pulled over on the southern California 405 freeway! I will never buy a Ford product again. I am going back to my trusted Toyota brand!

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Feb 012016

F-150

Ford Motor Company has installed defective fasteners on the exhaust manifolds of numerous modular V8 (4.6L & 5.4L) equipped F-150S. This is a well documented issue among several F-150 owners throughout the us and Canada for many model years. The problem with these manifold fasteners (studs) is that after the normal heat cycles of driving and sitting, they begin to deteriorate at an excelled rate. Once a stud or studs have failed, engine emissions leave the exhaust system prior to reaching the catalytic converter. The way to repair this is by removing the exhaust system and manifolds in order to extract the broken stud or studs and replace them with improved parts, in many cases the entire engine must be removed from the vehicle due to clearance issues. Not only is this issue very costly to the consumer and the environment it is also an arduous process to be repaired even by someone that is mechanically inclined. My 2009 F-150 currently has this same issue. Evidence that this has been a consistent problem for almost a decade: Service bulletin no.: 17320 component(s): Engine and engine cooling NHTSA id number: 10008169

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 282015

F-150

Exhaust manifold leak due to broken exhaust manifold to head bolts. On cold start there is a moderately loud exhaust leak that diminishes as the engine heats up. Vehicle was stationary and parked when first noticed.

- Mulberry, FL, USA

Sep 202015

F-150

Coming home, something let lose under the hood and was tinking. Ended up having it towed home where we found out the spark plug ejected. Called the dealership as I just bought my truck 2 months ago, they couldn't do anything. Called Ford Corp they wouldn't give me any information. After doing research I found this was a tbs. I called a Ford dealer to see what to do. He told me it would have to be fixed at my expense. Took it to a garage where they figured the spark plug ejected and ruined a few other parts that needed to be replaced. After a week later I have my truck back. Not sure how much it cost yet, the bill is in the mail once he figures it out!

- Rossiter, PA, USA

Jul 212015

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle had carbon build up. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,250.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Aug 032015

F-150

While driving in a parking lot at speed below 5 mph, the engine began to shake and chatter. The sound and vibration went away at speeds above 5 mph. I was able to duplicate the problem repeatedly. The local dealer said it was the cam phaser, and they needed to be replaced. This 2009 truck was assembled in November of 2008. Truck was purchased used with 36000 miles in November of 2014. Cam phasers replaced at 43800 miles.

- Sioux City, IA, USA