Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

Jan 012019

F-150

Failing electronic steering gear in the electronic powered assist steering see

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 202019

F-150

50,000 miles my F150 steering wheel will not move.. I had to have my car towed at lowes parking lot.. good thing we were not in the highway when it happend we could have crashed!

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 152019

F-150

Infamous Ford death wobble for the second time on this vehicle. The first time was in the early period of ownership. It was fixed. In February, the death wobble started again. The truck has 182,000 miles on iit. I have spent $3,000 at Goodyear getting most of the front end components replaced before they threw there hands up and could not fix it. I am presently $1,100 into repair at tomball Ford. They do not know how to fix the problem. This is an issue with these trucks and I do not know why the NHTSA is not doing anything about this. It is extremely dangerous.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 062019

F-150

While driving heard a noise then lost all power steering.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Aug 142017

F-150

While driving my vehicle on a city street (speed limit 45mph), and while in a turn, my power steering abruptly failed causing me to almost crash. I was able to recover and continue steering using my body weight to assist in steering which was very difficult. The power steering would then begin to work again, however it would continue to fail intermittently, suddenly, and without warning. I was able to get an appointment at my local Ford dealership where they informed me that my power steering unit itself was fine, however it had a faulty sensor that was causing the unit to intermittently fail. I was told that the sensor was unreachable and that they were unable to replace it, so I would have to purchase and have them install a brand new power steering unit. This cost me around $2000 to replace a power steering unit that was designed with an irreplaceable sensor.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Aug 042019

F-150

Was driving and the power steering locked up received a power steering assist fault code, service advance trac code, & downhill code. The truck would not turn left or right very dangerous. When the tow truck driver picked up my truck he stated I was the 4th Ford he's towed with these same issue. Looked online and saw multiple pages in regards to the same issues. Vehicle is currently at the mechanics and Ford issued a recall for other vehicles for the same issue.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 012019

F-150

Serious vibration at or around 45 to 70mph. Steering wheel vibration, front end vibration. Usually around the time the transmission temp hits the normal temp truck starts vibrating. Usually starts at 40mph and gets worst with higher mph. Bought the truck back in Nov of 2018 all was fine till about 2 months ago when the vibration started. Not very happy.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Apr 042016

F-150

I was driving and made a right turn and the power steering gave out for a few seconds. Then once I straightened back out I could not reproduce the problem. This has happened several times but can happen when turning either way.

- Houghton Lake, MI, USA

Jul 022019

F-150

Steering first started making groaning noises on tight turns, within a few days, got so bad I could barely steer it. Mechanic diagnosis is that steering rack/electris steering assist system needs to be replaced. He also said that the replacement part has been redesigned to help prevent this kind of problem, which seems common. This suggests that it is a design flaw with serious safety implications-- danger of not being able to steer at various speeds, to include when towing heavy loads, as I was doing when it was going bad. If a design flaw, why is this not already a safety recall?

- Kent, OH, USA

Jun 122019

F-150

Trouble with steering. Getting feedback in the steering wheel (noise and vibration). At times steering is difficult and not returning to center on its own. In motion, any road condition, turning and not turning any speed. After reading hundreds of complaints believe the problem to be the steering gearbox.

- Farnington, IA, USA

Jun 052019

F-150

Steering is bad, when in motion

- Holland, MI, USA

Feb 062019

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving and making turns or pulling into a parking spot, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the failure was sporadic, but was becoming more frequent. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jun 192019

F-150

My power steering went out going down the road almost pulled the truck out of the road. Almost caused me to crash

- Iva, SC, USA

May 232019

F-150

Driving truck on a two lane road when the power steering suddenly went out as I was rolling up to the stop sign. I managed to control the truck and get it turned around and back to my house without problem, but could only imagine what could have happened had I been on the interstate at a high rate of speed when this happened. After research, I saw that this was a known issue and that there have been some recalls but my truck was not one of them. Took it to the dealership and they repaired it for $2300. Said they had to replace the steering column. Called complaint line at the corporate office and they paid $700 of the $2300 which we are grateful for, but still feel that it should have been repaired as a recall issue and therefore no charge to us. This has been a known issue with the steering in Ford cars and trucks for a number of years. This truck is a 2013 and only has 40,000 miles on it. One would not expect such an expensive repair to be necessary on a truck with such low mileage. And surely a safety hazard if this had happened in heavy traffic or at a high rate of speed.

- Freeport, FL, USA

Jun 072019

F-150

The message "power steering assist fail" message appeared on the instrument panel and was very hard to drive vehicle and to negotiate turns to get home from work on Friday evening, 6/7/2019. Had vehicle towed to the local Ford dealer on Saturday and have not heard back.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

May 032019

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, the power steering assist and traction control warning indicators illuminated. While coasting over to the side of the road, the steering wheel became difficult to steer. The contact powered off the engine. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred. The contact stated that he was down the street from an independent mechanic and was able to drive the vehicle with difficulty steering. The vehicle was diagnosed that the steering rack assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called mac haik Ford Lincoln (located at 7201 N interstate hwy 35, georgetown, tx 78626, (512) 930-3673) and was informed that they never heard of the failure and there was no recall for the steering. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 272018

F-150

Lost complete steering became very hard no warnings either. Very dangerous and I had to pay for the full repair there should be a recall for that it is a very dangerous situation to be in especially because it happens with no warning what's so ever

- Plano, IL, USA

May 262019

F-150

I was driving down the road and lost all power steering resulting in almost wrecking into a gulley at a speed of 65mph

- Stonewall, LA, USA

May 222019

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 45 mph, the transmission downshifted into first gear on its own, the rear wheels seized, and there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle veered to the right into a ditch and then veered back onto the road towards oncoming traffic. There was no crash or damage. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. Poage Ford (1110 us-61 bus, bowling green, mo 63334) was contacted by phone and the contact was informed that the parts were not available to perform the recall repair for NHTSA campaign number: 19V075000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,423. Consumer stated after the downshift it seemed as if all electrical power also failed. Car was traded in.

- Wellsville, MO, USA

May 092019

F-150

All of the sudden steering got hard to turn. It doesn┐T feel safe to drive. There are thousands of complaints on the internet. And when we called the dealer they knew exactly what it was doing. Same thing the 2014S were recalled for.

- Howell, MI, USA