8.9

$960

Most common solutions:

2. lead frame in transmission (4 reports)
  3. replaced a connector harness (2 reports)
  4. molded lead frame in transmission (1 reports)
  5. replace timing chain (1 reports)
  6. replaced the molded leadframe harness (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jun 012015

F-150 XLT V6 Ecoboost

This is an intermittent problem.

Taking off: When taking off it feels like transmission is slipping a little and causes hesitation.

Downshifting: When cruising in 5th gear, and I press the accelerator, the transmission clunks very loudly as it shifts down to 4th. It also does this when transmission downshifts as I accelerate in on ramp to highway.

I took it to 2 dealers and they couldn't find a problem.

I took it to Aamco. They couldn't find a problem.

- Kevin A., Manassas, VA, US

Apr 222019

F-150

Today 4/22/18 (and several days last week and the week before), the F150 downshift from from 35-40 mph to 1st gear. My husband is avoiding driving the truck as much as he can, but it is his only way to get to/from work. In the meantime he is avoiding any highway driving. After work today he called Ford again and spent over an hour to learn that they still don't have the software update and will not offer rental cars in the meantime. This vehicle is a danger to him and anyone else on the road. We are stuck with this vehicle and feel very unsafe with it.

- Bonnie W., Novi, MI, US

Jul 162018

F-150 3.2L V6 Eco

My daughter was telling me her Ford 2013 F150 was breaking without her applying pressure to the brake peddle. I took it to the dealer and explained the situation and as usual no code, can't replicate, sorry about your luck. Later after some research I found the 2012 lead frame recall that stopped in 9/12 and this Ford truck was build 11/12. Not wanting my daughter to die in a crash I switched her for my safe 2017 Chevy Colorado.

While driving the Ford yesterday returning home from work @ 65 miles an hour on the highway the tranny shifted into 1st gear without warning. The rpm's pegged and the speedometer was bouncing 0 to 100 like a ping pong ball. I could verify this since my nose was only a few inches from the display while the truck was skidding out of control. I will have to give credit where credit is due, I never thought I would see the day when a full size truck would be produced with a stopping distance of under 40ft @ hwy driving speed. Had my daughter been pulling her horse trailer, oh the horror!

Anyhow if you have a loved one driving a 2013 believe them when they come home shaking and say the truck is going into a death skid. It's a defective transmission lead frame just as was detected and recalled in the 2012 model. My first thought was to take the advice of others and trade it. But I looked in the mirror this morning and said I'm better than Ford Motor Company.

- Pat R., Brownstown, IN, US

Jan 302019

F-150 FX Ecoboost

This is a $70,000 Waldoch pkg FX150 with every option available. It sat in the garage for most of the first year I owned it, mostly a show truck. I then started driving daily the 2nd year. Now that it is out of warranty let the problems begin. I took it in 1/17/19 for check engine light on and huge reduction in gas mileage. Turbo was leaking oil solenoids, valve gaskets & turbo were repaired at $1300.00

Two weeks later engine light came on and sudden loss of power upon acceleration along with shifting up and down gears and not shifting into 6th at 70 mph. Mechanic reported that the timing chain needs replaced and significant cost. My first Ford & I have loved it thinking of buying a new one, but with this kind of problem at 83,000 miles, I guess I will be checking out Toyotas. People can't afford to purchase such an expensive vehicle and dole out money for these kinds or repairs. FIX THE PROBLEM FORD! A RECALL IS CALLED FOR!

- rd2881, Riverside, US

Feb 272019

F-150 XLT

Traveling on I-40 East of Albuquerque, NM, traveling between 70 and 75 in a 75 mile speed limit, when in one second the transmission went from 6th gear to 1st gear! Rear tires locked up and it was extremely difficult to control the vehicle. Luckily I was in the lane closest to the shoulder and was able to get off the freeway with trucks traveling behind me and beside me that couldn't stop. It was a close call death experience that I don't want any others to experience.

If you have a 2013 F-150, Ford has decided your life doesn't matter. After I had the vehicle towed 170 miles back to my home town and look on the internet...Ford has been aware of this problem for quite some time. Even though they are now starting to send out a recall...my dealership thinks I must pay for the problems of Ford's incompetence and of course don't want to help with all my expenses on top of the repair expenses. I'm not through with them!

- Gary H., Roswell, NM, US

Dec 062018

F-150 Raptor 6.2L

Driving on the freeway going about 60 to 65 and truck kept shifting back and forth from 5th to 6th. Traffic was pretty heavy but flowing fast. I held my foot on the accelerator steady to see if it would stay in one of the gears. All of a sudden the vehicle shifted from 6th to 1st or 2nd gear I am not sure which and the tires locked up. A large smoke cloud from the tire was created and a tractor trailer behind me slammed on his brakes as well. I thought I was going to get rear-ended but suddenly it shifted back to 6th gear and took off again. It continued to shift from 5th to 6th and back again for the next 7 miles or so heading home.

When I exited the freeway coming down the off ramp it would shift from 5th to 3rd and back and then down to 1st locking the tire again. Luckily I only live a half mile off the freeway and was able to get it home. Took it to the Ford dealer this morning and guy tells me the warranty expired on Nov 23 today is Dec 7th. If that ain't some bullshit!!!

- John S., Hawthorne, CA, US

Dec 312018

F-150 XL 5.0L

Truck started having erratic shift issues. Sometimes taking off other times while driving. No downshifts at speed luckily. I would try to take off and the truck would shift into 5th and then the wrench light would come on the speedometer and tachometer would go to zero. You could drive the truck but only had 5th and 3rd gear. Stopping and shutting the truck off and back on would fix the problem for a while. I also had the truck shift from 6th to 5th on the highway with the gauges going out. Finally had it malfunction and throw an engine code p0720. Like an idiot I reset the code before taking it to the dealership. The dealership replaced the molded lead frame and I have had no issues since. Cost $820 because the warranty ran out in August. I hope I can get more than 50,000 miles out of this one.

- Kevin C., Greenbush, ME, US

Dec 012018

F-150 XLT 3.2L

Traveling 70 MPH when I started to slow to exit the freeway. The transmission shifted into 1st gear causing the rear tires to skid and rear of the vehicle to swerve. This lasted only a few seconds before the transmission shifted back into 6th gear. While approaching a red light the transmission shifted again into 1st gear causing the RPM's to jump. Just as I was coming to a stop the vehicle lurched forward almost striking the car in front of me. Luckily I had enough pressure on the brake pedal to stop. Next while making a left turn on a city street the transmission went to neutral and I stalled into oncoming traffic. I was able to clear the intersection and rolled onto the shoulder of the road. I tried several times moving the shift lever back and forth and finally the transmission started working again. Straight to the dealer.

The dealer had to replace the lead frame module and the valve body that was apparently damaged due to the erratic shifting. The 2013 F150 was 4 months over the 5 year power train warranty and only has 50,000 miles. I paid over $1300 for the repairs. A complaint has been filed with NHTSA as this is a definite safety hazard. I got an e-mail from the regional service manager wanting my input on my service experience. I answered him but he may not have liked my response as I never heard from him again.

- Gary W., Leander, US

Sep 122018

F-150 5L V8

Going at 40MPH in 4th, suddenly went into 1st. Scary situation. Wouldn't go out of first until restarted. Erratic shifting. dash quit. Wrench light came on momentarily. Happened again before arriving home. Had dealer replace lead frame harness. So far, (first day), seems okay.

- Ronald D., Millbury, US

Sep 062018

F-150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost

My 2013 Ford F-150 XLT V6 automatic transmission is jumping, gets stuck in the first gear. Have to put the vehicle in park and then sometimes shut it off and turn it back on. it also sticks in fifth gear from a dead stop. Took it to the dealer, they had it for a few days and tried, but were unable to duplicate the problem. This issue is very irritating and is very dangerous when I pull out in front of traffic. Dealer says there are no codes recorded and will not offer a fix without actually witnessing the issue, which is random in frequency.

- Don M., Dearborn, MI, US

Jul 192018

F-150 3.5L Echo Boodt

My 2013 Ford F-150 XLT V6 automatic transmission is jumping, gets stuck in the first gear. Have to put the vehicle in park and then sometimes shut it off and turn it back on. Driving at 30 miles an hour at times it would jump and buck hard. Took it to the dealer. They had it for about a week and were unable to duplicate the problem. This issue is very irritating and it feels very dangerous to me. Ford needs to figure out what the issue is. If anybody has a fix in the meantime please post it to the site.

- Sheldon S., East Liberty, US

Aug 182018

F-150 XL 3.7L V6

I can't believe I'm reading all of the complaints that are exactly, to a tee, what we just experience with our 2013 Ford F-150. Truck twice stayed in 5th gear would not move obviously from a dead stop, turned off truck, started back up and worked fine. But what happened a couple of days ago was very scary. 60 mph truck just decided to jump from 6th to 1st on it's own, just like everyone else has stated, bout crapped myself, rear tires locked up, flat spotted them (they are worthless), got to shoulder of road, all the info lights were out. Turned truck off and back on and it all came back on and took off like nothing ever happened! So is it going to take someone to die before Ford gets off their but and fix this problem? Plus like most on here it's after the drive train warranty is out!!

- Lamar D., Crestview, FL, US

Jun 152018

F-150 FX 3.5L V6

SOOOO FREAKIN SCARY!!! My 2013 Ford F-150 is downshifting out of no where. (e.g. going from 5th or 6th gear down to 1st gear while I'm driving at 45-55 mph) I called and made a report to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and also contacted the Ford Manufacture. Now I'm just adding my info. here. I would hate for anyone to be injured or worse. This needs to be resolved.

I saw there were recalls in 2016, however we were never notified. I checked my VIN and there are no recalls associated with it *YET.... This was also verified by the person I spoke with at FORD. I will continue to file complaints to make this known. Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who has come forward already to alert the public and proper organizations to this UNSAFE and potentially DEADLY malfunction.

I was told by FORD to take it to the servicing dealership to have it diagnosed. Hope this gets resolved soon.

- mrshula, Hilo, US

May 202018

F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

Started to accelerate from stoplight, the truck seemed to lose power for a few seconds like it wasn't getting fuel. Then it started to accelerate normally. At 65 km/h the transmission suddenly shifted from 5th into first gear with a loud bang. The rear end skidded, the tachometer roared past 6000 RPM and the speedometer was bouncing up and down from 10-40 km/hr. I stopped truck. When I accelerated it did it again around 60 km/h. After that I tried to continue driving but it remained stuck in 1st gear. After about a half kilometre I finally had to pull over at a shopping mall. I put it in park, shut off the engine, and restarted the truck. I drove off and it shifted normally. Very concerning, if this happens at high speed I could easily lose control of the truck and crash.

- Gord B., Cambridge, ON, Canada

Apr 042018

F-150 King Ranch 3.5L Lt V6 Twin Turbo Eco

Recently noticed when I try to accelerate quickly, my truck stalls out and engine light will come on. My RPMs gauge decelerates and my gears downshift to 4th gear even if I'm doing 70mph on the highway. This is still an ongoing issue because I'm not exactly sure what the source of the occurrence is. I was pulling a 5×10 dove tail trailer with an ATV on it. Every time I reached a overpass or any kind of incline it would happen again. If I was on a straight away and above 70mph it was fine. This issue is very annoying to me especially when my family is riding with me! Any advice or solutions would be a great help.

- kalelewis, Odessa, US

Oct 092017

F-150 XLT 3.5L V6

Will not shift out of first gear. Speedometer reads 0mph even though the truck is moving ~5 to 10 mph. When I stop the truck shifts to 2nd and then while still stopped it shifts to first. This has happened probably 50 times since Oct 2017. Only once did the check engine light come on I got a P0720 (output shaft speed sensor).

- Tom F., Longmont, CO, US

Feb 032018

F-150 XLT V6 Ecoboost

Setting at a red light, the rpms went up to 4000, and the speed odometer was at zero. Went to pull over and the truck was very jumpy. Shut the truck off and then drove to Sam's Club parking lot. The truck did not feel right the rest of the day. This is the 8th or 9th time I had trouble in the last 2 week. I also put the truck on the computer to see if there was any codes. ZERO CODES.

- Paul Q., Hollidaysburg, PA, US

Jan 292018

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

Transmission has been shifting erratically for over six weeks. When it downshifts sometimes the new gear will not engage. Sometimes it sticks in 2nd, sometimes in 5th. Trying to shift manually while moving does not fix problem. Dash display disappears leaving orange box with a wrench in it. Transmission range selector will not display anything but D regardless of shift position. Only fix so far has been to come to a complete stop, shut off the truck and restart. Twice this this has happened while attempting to enter moving traffic. Luckily both times I was able to pull over to the side and shut the truck down. Third time may be the last time without getting hit by another vehicle.

- William T., Holladay, US

Jun 012017

F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost with erratic shifting issues.

Sometimes vehicle will start in 5th from a dead stop. Engine revs, but little to no forward movement.

More concerning is the intermittent downshifting at highway speeds. Speedometer will waver erratically or even bottom out at 0. Gear indicator will drop to 1st, go back to 5th, and waver anywhere in between. This has even locked up my rear wheels at 70MPH. Pretty scary! This has happened a handful of times now. Thankfully, I have been able to shift to Neutral, get to the shoulder, kill the engine, restart and go.

Of course this started happening after I was out of warranty. I have taken it to the dealer and they could not find a code and could not duplicate it. They suggested a tune-up. It is not an everyday issue. In fact, I have driven for weeks without problems. However, I am certain my luck will run out eventually if I can't get these guys to take this seriousl.

After some online research, this sounds like the same issue that caused the recall for earlier years F150 models.

- John W., Kansas City, KS, US

May 252017

F-150 STX 3.5L V6

truck will down shift into 1st or 3 rd gear while driving, as well as lose speedometer. then while taking off from a start will start in 2nd gear and feel like it slips outta gear. truck will not move until I stop and restart engine. only has thrown one wrench code at me but I cleared the code ..I looked at wiring harness found a loose connection but problem is still there unsafe to have my kids in the truck NOT SAFE AT ALL

Update from Aug 7, 2017: brought truck to ford due to erratic shifting it was due to the defective molded leadframe in transmission input output speed sensors covered under power train warranty cost 100 buck for deductible problem fixed just got home from a trip to northern maine 1400 miles no issues

- Mike M., Blandford, US