4.7

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

Aug 312008

Focus

I purchased a used 2002 Ford Focus in fl. While driving it to my home in tn, I experienced stalling at hwy speeds. I changed the fuel filter and continued on my trip. It stalled again and wouldn't restart. I had it towed to a Ford dealer that diagnosed the problem as the alternator and battery. I replaced them both. The car started and I began my travel back home. Upon my return home, when I would utilize the car, I would experience stalling under varying conditions. I took it to a mechanic who could not find that problem, but did replace the thermostat. Typically the car would run for several hours before the stalling would begin. I could usually allow the engine to cool for approximately 20-30 minutes and the car would start. I could drive for approximately 15 minutes before it would stall again. My latest experience happened at hwy speeds. After 30 minutes of travel the car stalled and has not restarted since. I contacted Ford who informed me that my car was not part of their "recall (s)" due to where it was assembled. I find it very "coincidental" that my car is experiencing the exact problems that the "recalled" cars experienced. Is there a course on action that I should take?

- Rutledge, TN, USA

Jun 302008

Focus

I drive a 2002 Ford Focus wagon, mileage 85,578. Two days ago I had trouble starting it. I did get it started but everytime I took my foot off the accelerator the engine stall. There was no check engine light warning prior to this or during the event. I was able to drive my car home, but had to restart it each time I had to stop. The next morning it drove fine but I took it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis and repair. I was told it was a fuel pump failure and it cost me over a $1000 for repair. (parts lister were sender, gasket, kit, tube, gasket, filter). In researching recalls I found that model years 2000-2001 were having this exact same problems and a recall was determined for this. I do normal driving - 70% highway, 30% in town. My car is just over 5 years old, I don't believe that normal wear and tear should cause the fuel pump to fail. It seems to me that this is some kind of defect in the original part or assembly.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Jun 182006

Focus 4-cyl

Driving my 2002 ZX5 Ford Focus around pittsburgh, with less than a 1/4 tank the engine started stuttering. Then the car stalled. I turned it back on and drove about a 1/4 mile when it started stuttering and shaking pretty bad again. When I tried to accelerate, there was no power and the engine stalled again. I waited a little before turning it back on. It did the same thing twice more; once it stalled when I was doing a left turn at a busy traffic intersection and the other while driving down a crowded avenue. Fortunately I was able to make the 2-hour trip back home without any incidents. I took it to the Ford dealership in my town and they told me they needed to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and also perform a fuel flush. The total cost is roughly $600. I have been looking in the internet and there is a history of failures with the fuel delivery module on 2000-2001 Focus. Ford has claimed that the problem was solved in 2002. My bumper-to-bumper warranty expired this past January and the dealership says that since my car is 2002 the extended coverage program 03N01 does not apply in my case, thus I have to pay for the repairs. I disagree and I do not feel that the cost should be my responsibility. My car shows all the symptoms described on the 03N01 document, which is a quality issue that Ford should have resolved and clearly has not. It is unsafe driving a car that can stall without warning leaving the driver stuck in a dangerous situation.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jun 162006

Focus 4-cyl

I have 2002 Ford Focus SE that cuts out and stalls while making right hand turns. I took to the dealer 18 months ago and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is doing it 5 times a day and other Focus owners are saying that theirs cuts out as well. Ford has no tsb that I could find for it but it is very.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Oct 192005

Focus 4-cyl

Our 2002 Ford Focus stalls, hesitates around 1/4 of a tank. Symptoms similar to fuel delivery module complaint of previous year models.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Sep 072005

Focus

Car is stalling and dying when stopped. Will not idle properly. Have replace both spark plugs and plug wires even though only have 36K miles on the car. Only thing diagnostic test show is the fuel is too lean. I am assuming that I will have to replace the fuel filter since Ford will not include the 2002 models even though they are having the same problems as earlier models.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 072003

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission went out 2 times in 1 year. Driver airbag shifted on its own. Rear passenger door does not unlock/open. Front ball joint cracked. Gas cover/door fell off. The smell of gas inside car at all times. Blinker would not turn off by itself. Key chime goes off when the key is out.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Oct 152003

Focus

There is a line that went straight into the engine's intake that has been leaking fluid since 2,000 miles and was inspected by deler who told to me that it was nothing. But the engine case should not have a large leak of fluid that soon. Finally now, they have done something on this and replaced the hose, as it was seen once more and knows of all the times reported. I hope this is just not a easy fix or this now hasn't caused any damange to the inside of the engine itself, as the engine has been in the shop for riding rough. They told me last time that the part of the transmission that was fixed would fix this. I think it is due to the oil leak on the top of the engine case since it was new. A new car should never have a oil leak on a engine case.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 152002

Focus

Fuel pump was replaced twice from January to June sterring wheel and car shake while stopping and driving at 50 mph or above brakes have been checked 3 times finally had replaced and rotors, no change in performance

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 262003

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased a 2002 Ford Focus SE. At 10,956 miles I had to replace the front brakes. I was billed $256.06 for this repair. I also had a water leak that occurred on the front passenger side. The leak was fixed. The problem was said to be the pollen filter. The center console was loose, that was also fixed asap. And lastly the fuel economy is far from what Ford claims it to be. Please visit www.fordfocusbrakeproblems.com for more info.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jan 152003

Focus

Vehicle smells like gas. Dealer notified.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jul 242002

Focus

Owners manual states that vehicle should get 26 gallons in city and 32 on highway. However, vehicle gets 18 gallons in city. Consumer feels the information is incorrect in owners manual.

- Desota, TX, USA