Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

Jun 032019

Focus

Vehicle shudders when I try to accelerate slowly from a stop sign or making a turn on to a street. Sometimes shudders when I am already moving but trying to speed up with traffic such as being on a highway. Also when im low on gas before it reaches E it completely shuts down. No gas light or shuddering. I had champion Ford in erie pa look into this but there was no code or anything to go by. Im not sure what to do. It has been happening frquently now but everyone I talk to says its hard to determine without a code, but what if my control module is messed up or something" I have 5 kids I Transport everyday and worried that this can cause an accident if somethings not done"

- Erie, PA, USA

Mar 012019

Focus

TL the contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While the vehicle was stationary in traffic, the engine turned off without warning. When the vehicle was restarted, the vehicle hesitated when accelerating. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Georgetown, GA, USA

Jul 012019

Focus

TL the contact owned a 2013 Ford Focus. When the contact's son started the vehicle, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact's son drove the vehicle to an independent mechanic and was informed that the vehicle had a defective canister purge valve (cpv). Later that day, the vehicle stalled and a fuel odor was detected. The following day, while the contact's son was driving 68 mph, it was believed that the engine stalled and the steering seized. As a result, the vehicle crashed head on into a tree. The contact's son died instantly and the passenger was ejected from the vehicle through the windshield. Another motorist observed the crash and called 911. The passenger was airlifted to the hospital and received medical attention for their unknown injuries. The contact's son was pronounced dead on the scene. The air bags deployed upon impact. A police report was filed. Upon investigation, it was discovered that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mount Enterprise, TX, USA

Aug 012019

Focus

Vehicle transmission stuttering while driving. Ac is out. Multiple electric issues

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 152018

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. On several occasions, the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to grand prairie Ford (located at 701 E palace pkwy, grand prairie, tx 75050, (972) 975-9621) to be diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Aug 172019

Focus

When I accelerate from a stop the car shutters/jerks. Feels like strong tumble strips. Also almost like wheels are locking and trying to grip. I have been scared at I intersections as with hesitation the car doesn't have much power. Once it shifts (I have automatic) it's fine. Doesn't happen every time either.

- Ironton, MN, USA

Aug 112019

Focus

Recall 18V735 was issued almost a year ago. However, Ford seems uninterested in correcting the issue. Safecar.gov reports: "recall status: Recall incomplete. Remedy not yet available." I'm still waiting and waiting on a fix., driving a potentially dangerous vehicle in the meantime.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 022019

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was taken to bowen scarff Ford-Lincoln (located at 1157 central ave N, kent, wa 98032, (800) 577-1158), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Kent, WA, USA

Oct 222018

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. Bloomington Lincoln (1001 clover dr S, minneapolis, mn 55420, (952) 888-2271) was contacted and confirmed that the parts were not available for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 022019

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the failure recurred four times since the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle was taken to skalnek Ford (941 S lapeer rd, orion charter township, mi 48362, (248) 693-6241) to be diagnosed, but the dealer failed to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 19V515000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact to take the vehicle to a Ford dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jul 312018

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact took the vehicle to gary smith Ford (1 beal pkwy nw, fort walton beach, fl 32548, (888) 814-7437) to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 19V515000 (fuel system, gasoline) regarding the canister purge valve. After the recall repair was performed, the failure continued and the check engine indicator illuminated. Upon returning to the dealer, the contact was informed that the recall was deemed ineffective and that the contact would have to pay out of pocket to repair the defect. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Jul 292019

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and shut off without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. Also, when the fuel tank was filled, the fuel gauge did not display the correct amount of fuel and the mileage was incorrect. The contact also stated that the shape of the fuel tank appeared unusual. Furthermore, the contact stated that the vehicle did not immediately start when it was cranked. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was taken to reynolds Ford of okc (833-821-8065, located at 7320 nw expy, Oklahoma city, ok 73132) where the software system was updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and confirmed that the recall repair was to update the software system. The failure mileage was 117,402.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 282019

Focus

I was driving down the road and my car battery light came on and I lost power to my gas and brake system... before this every time I put gas into it....it acts like going to stale

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Nov 252012

Focus

This vehicle has had problems since the day we bought it.the transmission has a mind of its own. It jerks, shudders and slips in and out of gear at random. We have had 4 clutches, a tcm, 2 purge vale replacements and countless software updates. It has completely lost the ability to propel itself on three separate occasions; once while we were taking it in to the dealer. When we got to the dealer they told us that "yes that can happen sometimes " !!! please help us and hold Ford accountable for their reckless decision to allow these vehicles to be sold to chumps like me. They have deliberately and repeatedly blamed us for their mistake. We are unable to use our vehicle because it is unsafe.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Sep 272018

Focus

My car is at the dealership for the second time since September 2018 due to the transmission recall. The car died while driving four times before I could get it home. I I had it towed to bill collins Ford the next day. I was told in September the transmission was fixed yet the car never drove right. Now the transmission and clutch need repair/replacing. They have had my car for one week and I have yet to be contacted by the dealership. These cars are not safe. Someone is going to die as a result of these faulty transmissions.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 062018

Focus

I bought my Ford Focus hatchback SE starting at 24K miles. At around 50K I began having transmission troubles. The stuttering, while accelerating or coming to a stop, was (and still is) horrible. I have taken this vehicle in on two separate occasions to get the transmission ¿fixed¿, to no avail. I¿M still dealing with these problems 80K miles later. The first two winters that I had owned the vehicle my door locks would not engage, in dry, 40 degree temperatures. So I would have to drive and hold my door closed until the car heated up and the locks engaged. I tried wd-40 and sprays meant specifically to unfreeze locks. Neither worked. And the locks would occasionally disengage while driving my morning commute on the highway. No recall until two years later, after complaining countless times. But back to the transmission, I was driving home after a long day at work and ended up stuck in cincinnati, oh. A message popped up on my dash reading ¿transmission fault¿ advising me to take my car to a dealer. Turning off the engine didn¿T help, and I couldn¿T drive over 20 miles per hour because the car wouldn¿T shift over 1st or 2nd gear. Luckily I¿M an experienced driver and was able to Dodge multiple cars that almost slammed into me on the street, due to my sudden braking. When contacting Ford it took them 5 hours of going back and forth between dealers to finally send me a tow truck. I get the car back, same problems. Over and over. A mechanic at the dealership told me that they don¿T actually have a fix for the problem (which it's becoming ever more clear that they still don¿T, nor will they ever). Ford's compensation for this problem was a terrible deal. Offering a replacement transmission with the exact same trans that gave me problems I¿M the first place. I¿M glad to see the government is getting involved and hope to see resolve soon.

- Middletown, OH, USA

May 122019

Focus

While driving down a busy road(M53) in Michigan, the car lost power, got a message on the dash saying transmission overheating, pull over wait 5 minutes. Once it happened several times, I had taken it to the local Ford dealer. After $1200 repair, I investigated and found out about all of the issues with this transmission. Why would Ford not have done a better job at redesigning these or fixing them with millions of them on the road? we had just purchased this vehicle 2 days prior, unsure if was an ongoing issue with this vehicle

- Brown City, MI, USA

Apr 012017

Focus

Brakes are erratic, often feels as if car may not brake in time then shudders on acceleration, slips, jerks, hesitates, suffers delayed accelerstion, delays in downshifting. Stalled just after turning at an intersection, engine simply did not switch on. Electrical circuit drained battery. Inaccurate fuel gauge indication / distance to empty, high fuel consumption.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jan 222019

Focus

"takata recall" initially the car started shaking and making terrible noises. After parking it, the car would not go into reverse. It was towed to a "dealer" facility where they did some "repairs" on the transmission.....$600. The car was transferred to me and I have experienced a loss of forward power several times. After a short wait period it will start. I have been involved in an accident.....pulled onto the 4 lane one way highway and lost power....bam. The car also has the "shudder" issue while idling.. it feels like the engine will stall.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Dec 012018

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and stated that the part was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cypress, CA, USA