7.9

$1,410

Most common solutions:

2. recall on transmission (19 reports)
  3. no solution (17 reports)
  4. clutch replacement (10 reports)
  5. install new clutch shaft (7 reports)
  6. transmission control module recall (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 082018

Focus SE 2.0L

2014 Ford Focus transmission problem. It hesitates, shudders, surges and jerks when attempting to go from a stop. Why isn't there a recall on this? This is a serious issue. There's is a class action settlement which amounts to basically nothing. I want to sell this vehicle and this is clearly a hindrance. Who will want this vehicle once they drive it? This amounts to a great financial loss. This car is clearly a lemon, being Ford can choose to not recall it and rectify the problem. I don't understand how they determine which issues deem a recall.

- Cindy H., Eagan, MN, USA

Aug 152016

Focus

BOUGHT THIS CAR IN AUGUST OF 2016. IN SEPTEMBER 2016 THE SO CALLED DEALER STATED THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM. WOULD NOT PROVIDE ANY PAPERWORK. CAR SHUTTERS, HESITATES, DRIFTS BACKWARDS. IT HESITATES AND JERKS WHEN GOING FROM A STOP TO START.

- cehredt, Altoona, US

Dec 012013

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Leaky transmission seals that allowed fluid to pass to the clutch, presented jerking and lagging acceleration. Contacted Ford and they rejected my claim for a seal replacement stating my car VIN was unaffected. (Verified by Ford Dealership)

Solution: Upgraded to a better brand.

- Ernest V., Houston, US

Aug 102018

Focus

The blasted thing is worth only 5,000 dollars, and the repair bill is already at 3,000. I am told that this only gets it running again, and may not fix all the issues. This car sucks and I think Ford should buy it back! I have been online and found that transmission issues are a known problem for this particular car, but I can not get any help from a real person with it. All I am getting are robots and having to leave messages, meanwhile, the collections calls on the loan continue. I am stuck in a position where I either have to fix it or let it get repossessed. Please help!!

- Matthew C., Copperas Cove, TX, US

Apr 092014

Focus

Do not buy a Focus or Fiesta. Both have the same transmission and same issues.

I thankfully leased this piece of garbage only for three years in 2014. Even during the test drive I noticed the hesitating. I was assured "The car will adapt to your driving." and felt it made sense. I am pretty mechanically savvy when it comes to cars and with it being new, I figured there was a "break in" period.

For the next three years, the car was in almost every oil change for a transmission issue. To "reprogram" the transmission, to "reset the computer" to what ever other patch they could do to get me out of there.

Finally after two years I was told "we have authorization from Ford to replace the dry clutch if it meets a certain threshold." The transmission specialist came with me. During the test drive he told me he has worked as a transmission specialist for over 25 years and has never seen such a mess of a transmission (the duel clutch) and problems.

He told me, the problem is a leak in the transmission that is landing on the clutch and causing the dry clutch to slip. Instead of resealing the transmission or fixing the leaks, they are band-aiding it with a new dry clutch to prolong it until the warranty is up. He told me he was actually disgusted with Ford and how they are dealing with this issue.

He told me that it would happen again, once the clutch got wet, as it is a dry clutch.

This is also the same transmission that is in the Fiesta.

This year, Ford announced that they were no longer going to sell sedans and focus on SUV's.

This transmission was part of the reason that Mazda created their Skyactive technology, as they refused to continue to use Ford's transmissions in their cars.

Ford should be ashamed of themselves. I will never buy another Ford again, I would have it scrapped and watch it be crushed if I we even given a new one for free.

- T G., Na, ON, Canada

Mar 052018

Focus ES 2.0L

click to see larger images

bad hesitation/jerking when starting from a stop position

This transmission problem started like before, with loss of trans engagement, lack of power and check engine light. This time the dealer won't honor the warranty.... this is a well known problem with the Focus and I complained about it from the first service.

Is this problem part of the class action suit against Ford? Do I need a lawyer?

- Gerardo O., Redwood City, US

May 092017

Focus ES 2.0L

The problem started like before with lost of transmission engagement while driving, slipping and a transmission fault message

the dealer replaced the TCM under warranty but recommend a clutch job of $2000

- Gerardo O., Redwood City, US

Dec 012015

Focus SE 2.0L

Took 4 times bringing it in, each time was worse than before. Had the problem for 6 months before they finally fixed it. First two times they said this was normal, third time re-calibrated TCM and the 4th I told them I was leaving it until a new clutch was put in. A week later they had a clutch when originally they said it would be 3 months.

What also happened during this 6 month fiasco was the gas mileage kept on getting worse from averaging 7.8 to 9.1 litres per 100 kms. It was good for 6 months and then started to act up a bit and ever since then (now March 2018) it has gotten to the point as to where it was the 3rd time I brought it in the first time. It is worse when it is driven for a while and it usually is my wife who drives with me a bit on the weekend. Two weekends ago I drove the Focus for approximately 100 kms and as the day went on (shopping at different malls) the shuttering got worse to the point when we left a corner it would shutter convulsively for 50 yards or more. My wife tells me this so I get to see first hand what she is talking about.

Brought it into the dealership today (March 16, 2018) and they tell me they cannot get it to act up. It is within its 250 whatever. This is the same thing they told me the first three times the first go around. What was the last straw the first time around was my wife was telling me that she would merge and the revs would go up but no gas. I said you got to be fooling me. Anyways I drove it to visit my son and daughter in law in Toronto and tried to pass and there was nothing. Just a crazy high rev but no action. That was when I said enough and demanded a new clutch. My wife is stressed with this car and for 3/4 's of our ownership (bought as a demo and was told by the salesman Howell that the problem was fixed for 2014) she has driven a nerve racking car. Excellent otherwise.

My question is how much wear and tear does this car receive (e.g. motor mounts, other tranny parts, etc) with all this shuttering and stuttering? Not good. So I was sent home with a car that was re-calibrated and now shifts at a higher rev. I was told by Matt, the service rep that these cars are European designed and really are made to shift at higher rev points. I guess I will wait until it gets worse and see my wife's blood pressure go up. That is what we did the first round and it is starting again.

- Randall Q., Windsor, ON, Canada

Dec 222017

Focus SE V4

was on recall list when i bought the car in 2016. had to wait a couple months for part to get fixed. was "fixed" jan 2017 now problem has come back as of late 2017 less than a year after being fixed. had it checked last oil change in July 2017 beach ford service didnt feel anything. 2/3/18 had my car in for oil change let them know the shuddering acceleration is back. They said would have to schedule an appointment during the week mon - fri 8am - 5pm for their tech to diagnose but i would probably be charged for the diagnostic test.

- Jennifer M., Virginia Beach, US

Jan 082018

Focus SE 2.0L

I don't feel safe in this vehicle" 2014 Ford Focus"

these vehicles have consistently experienced transmission slips, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, sudden acceleration, delay in downshifts, delayed accelerations and the inability to accelerate.

- Jamal A., Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 202014

Focus

I WAS TOLD THAT MY CAR IS ACTING NORMAL, I JUST NEED TO DRIVE IT ON THE HIGHWAY TO GET IT BROKEN IN. I TOLD FORD THAT MY CAR WASN'T RUNNING IN THIS JERKY WAY WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT, AND I WILL NOT STAND TO BE JERKED OR THE SLOW TAKING OFF ANY LONGER.

Feb 132015

Focus

THIRD TIME TRANSMISSION, CLUTCH, AXLE WORKED ON AND I WAS GIVEN ANOTHER RENTAL TO USE FOR ABOUT ONE WEEK.

Jan 222015

Focus

TRANSMISSION CLUTCH WORKED ON AND I WAS GIVEN A RENTAL CAR FOR CLOSE TO A WEEK.

Aug 102015

Focus ES

I HAVE HAD THE CAR INTO Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland, TN twice for repair with warranty. Now the car is over 70,000 miles and I took it in and they wanted to charge me $172.00 for diagnostics for the same problem I have continuously had. They told me the clutches were no longer under warranty, but to determine if it is the computer module, I had to pay the diagnostic fee. They were willing to keep the car and give me a rental for another safety issues with latches, but I returned the rental and told them to forget about it.

I had already expressed concern of returning the same day with the rental and my car to be picked up, as I was undergoing chemotherapy. I told them I couldn't guarantee how I would feel at the end of the day. In reality I drove 45 miles for my car to be fixed and it did not get fixed. At the time I did not have the money, hence not working, on short term disability due to chemotherapy.

Very, very disappointed with how this issue was managed. Furthermore, Larry Hill Ford was a huge disappointment.

- Deb D., Rocky Face, GA, US

Aug 152015

Focus

My car literally stopped on the street. It was supposedly fixed by Ford yet the problem still exists. They act as if they don't care about consumers safety! Never will I buy another FORD!!!

- Paula C., Indianapolis, US

May 032016

Focus 4 cyl

ever since I purchased the vehicle the transmission has bothered me. When reported to dealer they told me it was just something these cars did, not to worry about it. I surely would like to be able to stop and start without it jerking on me. I do not believe any car should do this and I do not believe all of them do, as I was told.

- Annette A., Martin, TN, US

Aug 222017

Focus V6

This problem is unreal, been back to dealership three times for it and was told there was nothing they could do about it, we were told to take it out on the damn highway and floor it to clear the transmission out, it has gotten so bad that whenever we start up it feels like a damn bucking horse, when we have stopped on occasion on a slight hill like coming out of the hospital parking lot, with foot on brake it started to roll back for no reason, we are so fed up with this we want to junk the car, all we get from Ford is there is nothing wrong with our transmission. This thing is going on way too long, afraid it might cause us to have an accident when we can't start up from a stop sign or stop light, tired of having horns blown at us because car is so slow and bucking so bad at times.

Update from Nov 29, 2017: We are still having problems with the transmission, it is only getting worse, was on 93 North today and almost was re-ended because I tried to move forward when traffic started up again and the car just keep bucking, could only move about 10 miles phr. It has gotten so bad that my wife is afraid to drive the car and most of our traveling is done on the highway from Lowell, Ma to Boston, Ma. When it starts to buck it feels as though we are on a bucking horse. If I wasn't so polite I would use way different language.

- coleman, srpaul, Lowell, US

Jun 012015

Focus SE

it's the transmission, it jerks and sputters when trying to go

- Kristina E., Romulus, US

Jan 142014

Focus LX 2.0L

MY CAR WAS AT 0 MILES AND WHERE I BOUGHT IT THEY TOLD ME THAT PROBLEM WAS GOING TO HAVE TO BE FIXED AFTER THE 5000 MILES, BUT NOTHING HAPPENED. IT WAS AT THE DEALERS 4 OR MORE TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM, SO THEY TOLD ME TO TRADE IT IN AND I LOST A LOT OF MONEY. WHAT CAN I DO TO SUE FORD?

- Cynthia N., El Paso, US

Nov 202016

Focus SE

When I purchased to vehicle, I had bad vibes because someone had return the car with only 12,000 miles. I should have followed my feelings, when I called to report that they car was skipping and jumping, I was told that it was normal. However, after my brother drove the vehicle he told me it was a transmission issue and to take in back to dealership. I did and they replaced the part. Here it is not a year later and I am having the same issue problems. I received a post card several months ago indicating that a Class Action settlement was in progress. I am so angry because I have car notes for 2 more years. This is not fair. I begin researching and found hundreds of complaints online...Are we suppose to accept this and just continue to go back to the dealership for replacement once or twice a year. I DON'T WANT THIS CAR ANYMORE! HELP PLEASE!

- brownru30rb, Bellwood, US