Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

May 152014

Freestar 6-cyl

First time;while driving around a curve going approximately 40 miles per hour, the engine shut off, and lost power, and steering. Engine light came on 2nd time; engine bucked at about 40 miles to 50 miles per hour, then the engine shut off, and lost power and steering. Engine light came on 3rd time; same as the second time, engine light came on. Went to a mechanic who stated that ran the engine on computer, and the code:PO741 came up, tcc clutch performance. Was told to go to Ford for this because of current recall. Went online to Ford, and our VIN came up for torque converter replacement. Awaiting appointment on Tuesday, June 3rd. At Ford dealer.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

May 142014

Freestar 6-cyl

RPM's surge, loss of power while driving, already had recalls done and still having problems, trans axle light comes on when doing highway speeds., I think the recall needs to be on the electrical system and where the main computer is located. The main computer is right beneath the awning for the wiper assembly...lots of potential water damage and many unhappy customers. This is supposed to be a family vehicle and it is more like driving a ticking time bomb. I would hate to be on the highway and the vehicle just suddenly stop. Not good Ford!!! not good!

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Jan 032005

Freestar 6-cyl

Problems with engine since 2005 with jerking, sputtering, engine lockup. Transmission locks and jerks, airconditioner stopped cooling and won't hold freon. Electrical issues also......has a mind of its own! several trip to the Ford dealership, was told "could not diagnose, bring it back if it does it again, we can't find anything wrong with it". the issues are sporadic. Drives fine one minute, next thing you know you are stalled on busy hwy. Not enough space to list "expensive" problems. Extended warranty? that's a joke, waste of $. scariest issue is when it locked up while driving. Lost complete control of steering, acceleration, etc. Was stranded in middle of road. Have disability, very scary & frustrating especially since my husband bought it only a year old so kids and I would have a "safe" vehicle. Did not take back to dealership since they'd probably say " can't diagnose". purchased a rebuilt engine had small town mechanic put it in. Problems still going on. Since there are still so many problems with engine, transmission, electrical, and no air conditioning, I'm afraid to drive it more than 5 miles. It is a very expensive lawn ornament. Fyi, my husband had just had to replace the engine in his Ford vehicle a month before mine went out, had to sell his vacation time for 2 years in a row just to keep those Ford running for our family...he's a public safety officer. Ford sold be ashamed. (dates are approximate, paperwork packed up from a move....sorry:-) )

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Nov 012013

Freestar 6-cyl

In November of 2013, our 2004 Ford Freestar quit working. Yes, we had the torque converter recalled and put on back when they had that recall. November was the first time we had this happen to our car. It was raining, and our car would not go into gear, it quit working. What made this bad is that it was on the freeway! my husband put it into neutral, but we still did not have steering capabilities and managed to get us over to the shoulder. We had to be towed to a dealership. The dealership then stated that many people were having the same issue with the electronics getting wet, so he dried it, then let it set for a couple days and caulked it. We thought that would end those problems. Not. (note: This had cost us 450.00) then less than 2 months, the same exact thing happens, only this time we are stuck in a shopping center and could not get our car into gear again. We took it back to the dealership to which they replied that we needed a new electric module. How much" $1500!!! in less than 2 months, we spent almost 2,000.00! this was done in February. Here it is now April and guess what" the same exact problem is taking place again!! we are not alone, there are many people facing the same problems we have had, look around at the boards online and you will see that everyone has the same issues!! some investigations need to be opened or reopened as this is not resolved and lawsuits will be filed if someone gets hurt.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Oct 042010

Freestar 6-cyl

2004 Ford Freestar. Consumer writes in regards to transmission torque converter recall notice. The consumer stated prior to the recall, the torque converter failed. The repair cost was $1,180.83. The consumer requested reimbursement. The consumer asked the dealer was the part installed defective, and he stated it probably was. The consumer received a refund check. However, he was concerned about the part being defective.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 062014

Freestar 6-cyl

Wife went to make a left turn at 2 state highway intersection. Upon accelerating the van failed to move causing her to be stranded in the middle of this busy intersection. Several attempts of shifting finally made it into parking lot. Towed vehicle to transmission shop to be told it is the torque converter probably a broken spline. Of course this VIN# is not part of the original recall even though it has the exact same symptoms and result.

- Greentown, IN, USA

Mar 292014

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate when suddenly without warning the transmission was no longer engaged and it resulted in complete loss of power and I had to coast to a stop in freeway traffic and try to get to the side of the road in time. Semi trucks were whizzing past me at 75 mph. I bought this vehicle from the Ford dealership in abilene, tx about one month ago and was not told about any recalls to the torque converter. This could have easily resulted in my death. I am highly pissed. Why the hell didn't the dealership replace this before selling me this vehicle for 7K? and what will be done about dealerships letting vehicles drive off the lot like this when they knew about the recall and did nothing and said nothing.

- Baird, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the transmission would independently switch gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Mansfeild, OH, USA

Jun 082012

Freestar 6-cyl

Just purchased this used 2004 Freestar. Within days the engine would fail while driving. Transmission shifting issues. Not starting. Etc.. had transmission replaced before knowing of recall on that item. Still had the issues. Pulled out PCM and it was filled with water. Installed new one. I live in Florida. Rainy season. Issues happened again within a week. New PCM removed and was filled with water. I myself found the service bulletin about the issue as well as several complaints by owners on the internet. My local dealership walker Ford swept the issue under the rug and wanted to charge $900 to find the leak. I showed them the bulletin that they were un aware of. They would not replace my PCM without charging me again. Went to another dealership and paid for new PCM and told them to perforce service bulletin. Seemed fine until last 6 months. Starting to stall a lot. High hum when accelerating and turning. More research online and I found 2 more recalls on vehicle. The PCM issue should be a recall. Find out how to permanently fix the issue and perform it for free with a new PCM.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Dec 232013

Freestar

I received recall on my Freestar in 2012, on the torque converter, it was fixed but had started to slip shortly after getting it fixed. 16 months later I found myself without any power. I took it to shop and was told it was on recall but since I had it fixed 16 months prior that it no longer was warranted. If they replaced the torque converter with a "fixed" one then I should not have had trouble so soon. Ford is wanting me to pay 1800 to fix their mess up.. I wonder what my rights are?

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Sep 102012

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 12V006000 (power train). The contact stated that after the repairs and attempting to shift into drive, there was a sudden loss of engine power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, who stated that the transmission failed due to a faulty torque converter. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The approximate failure mileage was 90,945. The consumer stated the replacement torque converter failed. He stated there were no problems, prior to the replacement. Updated 02/05/14..updated 02/06/14 updated 02/10/14 updated 2/12/14

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Oct 252013

Freestar

Took van into dealership per recall for torque converter. Received vehicle back 3 weeks later. Heard a ticking noise that progressively got worst. Made a appointment to return vehicle to dealer and the transmission completely went out as described in recall. No gear engagement in any gear forward or reverse. Of course the dealer said there was no relation to the recall and the recall was performed. Even the symptoms were exactly as described in the recall description of what would occur if the recall was not performed. Ford denied any assistance. The dealership offered us a labor discount if we purchased a transmission yet no warranty for the work unless it was a Ford remanufactured transmission at $1800.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Dec 052011

Freestar 6-cyl

Purchased used vehicle from marshall used cars in sacramento, ca, where reside currently. Purchased 05/2011, paid full no loan at time of purchase. Purchased add. Ext. Warranty which was 6months. From the dos til present date; I have paid, and was mislead in all the insurance covering major defects, owner(me) had came out of pocket paying for service to fix warranty parts. Now this is the current and serious issue. I am disabled, I have a disable child. My vehicle was reported under VIN to Ford corporate to notate for service to be check and worked on at local Ford dealer. Complained about multiple (4) issues. Dealership mislead me, and did not perform work. Only work they did was replace 1 recall 10/12. After recall service I (owner) recall manufac. Made claim, again and then went to dealer. I was turned away...and told to do normal maintenance before putting a service claim in. This is a problem. I am not ignorant to the anatomy of a vehicle. I am very literate on understanding vehicle operations as well as maintaining maintenance. I can say this because I believe I should be aware of every issue so I wont have a disabled vehicle. Vehicle mileage applied from the date recall replaced 5800 within the time til I made another claim in Oct 2013. Took vehicle in, told to check everything. Did. Brought vehicle back and vehicle was in service dept for week which rolled over to Nov 1, 2013. Vehicle was dx and found to be the same thing I made a claim about. Vehicle has a defected recall part. Part was not replaced. And owner is now left with a defect recall part, plus more damage on other parts related to torque converter, fuel line, 3rd bench, front R-wheel hub. I have multiple health appts to maintain for me and my child's disability. My children need to get to school, and I missed legal appt dates from court.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 052013

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle began to lurch, and lose pulling power. Engine continued to run, but vehicle had moments of loss of pulling power. RPM continued to remain the same.

- Bowling Green , KY, USA

Nov 022013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle independently engaged into neutral causing the vehicle to stall without warning. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,572.

- Maples, FL, USA

Oct 142013

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent transmission specialist, who informed the contact that the torque converter was defective. The vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was also previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 12V006000 (power train) however, six months after the remedy was performed the failure recurred. The recall repair failed to correct the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 76,956...updated 01-10-14 the consumer stated the dealer installed a faulty torque converter, or didn't install it correctly, per the recall notice. The transmission failed five months after the replacement of the torque converter. Updated 01/15/14

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Nov 042013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the trans axle warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the torque converter clutch solenoid was defective. As a result, the transmission needed to be rebuilt and the torque converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 145,000.

- Union City , MI, USA

Oct 012013

Freestar 6-cyl

I currently own a 2004 Ford Freestar minivan. I have been experiencing start problems for a couple of weeks now. I drove the car about 10 miles to get gas. I turned the engine off to fuel up. I attempted to start the vehicle and it would not start. I called my husband to try to jump start the vehicle and it worked. Drove the car 1/4 mile down the road to autozone to have the battery tested. The battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle seemed to be repaired after the battery was replaced. About 5 days after the battery was replaced the vehicle would not start after several attempts. I called aaa to have it towed to the Ford dealership for repairs. The aaa mechanic tried to start it before just towing it. He moved the shifter to neutral and back and started to vehicle right up. Maybe I did not have the shifter in the proper position? since then, the vehicle has not started up quite a few times....at random times, over the last few days. I was stranded at the doctors office with a no start. Called aaa again for a tow again. However, right before aaa got to me....the vehicle started right up. I cancelled the aaa call and drove straight to the dealership for repair. The Ford dealership can not find any problem as to why the vehicle will not start. It starts every time for them. The alternator and the starter are fine. The battery has been replaced and there are no transmission error codes being emitted.I have a hunch that this is an electrical problem. It isn't anything else. The Ford dealership explained that they took a look at the PCM but could not see any water corrosion. So they did not replace it. So now, I am faced with picking up the vehicle and not knowing when I'll be stranded again because the vehicle will not start.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Apr 052013

Freestar 6-cyl

Multiple times since April 2013 this vehicle has started stalling at stop signs and traffic lights, when shifting gears the vehicle's gas would have to be slightly accelerated first and then it would move in its gear with force. Starting in July all the vehicle's power would cut off at traffic lights and stop signs and would have to be restarted. After receiving notice of the 2013 recall for the torque converter and taking it to a Ford dealership, it was then told by a dealership service rep that the transmission would need to be replaced due to excessive fluids from the torque converter affecting the transmission and damaging it. This has taken place Sept. 2013.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Apr 092013

Freestar

On the way home from a day trip about 20 miles from home we go thru a busy intersection, about halfway thru we lose all power like it has come out of gear. We are luckily able to coast thru. When we stop engine runs but have no forward or reverse gear. We take it for the recall and they haphazardly fix transmission, now less than 1500 miles later there is all kinds of noise and highway vibration from drivetrain. Ford says its not related, but how can that be. I feel its a matter of time before the transmission falls out again. Its not right that Ford has a known transmission problem with these vehicles but are not fixing them properly. It feels like a scam, they do as little as possible on their recall fix so they can soak you when you have to bring it back.

- Midlothian, VA, USA