9.0

$2,347.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (34 reports)
  3. torque converter input shaft splines stripped.trans replaced (8 reports)
  4. recalled torque converter (4 reports)
  5. replace torque converter output shaft (2 reports)
  6. we had to replace the entire trans-axle system in the van (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Nov 152016

Freestar S 3.9L

Had the torque converter replaced due to recall at 53,692 miles in 2014. Two years and 12,000 miles later the car fails while driving to work. Dealer said it would cost $1300 to open it up to diagnose and up to $3000 if it was the transmission. Van is only worth $2300. Guess I'll donate it to charity and NEVER buy another FORD.

- , Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 272016

Freestar 4.2L V6

This is the second 2005 Ford Freestar 4.6L V6 vehicle that I have had. First one, the transmission went out at around 110,000 and left me stranded on the side of the highway, until I could have someone pick me up. This one, I bought used with around 58,000 miles at 10 years old, and purchased the extended warranty for as far out as I could. Today, because I have been having issues with it, had new tires put on the front, and an alignment, a couple days ago... I still have a horrible noise coming from the front end, and louder on the drivers side. I had to replace the left front wheel bearing at around 60,000. Thought it was maybe going out again. Had a mechanic friend who does a lot of my normal vehicle work, take a look at it, before I took it back into the tire shop. We determined the noise is coming from the transmission case, and he told me that it is going out. I called about my extended warranty, only to find out that it had expired 8,000 miles ago.

This appears to be a regular issue with the 2005 Ford Freestar vehicles, with the transmission going out. This will be the second one that I will have had to replace. Thankfully the first one was covered under an independent warranty. Ford needs to stand behind the transmission, as it is obviously an issue. I happen to like my Ford vehicle, and it fits my business plans, but having mechanical issues all the time is starting to make me decide to look elsewhere to do business.

PS Our local Ford Dealership (Bill Summers Ford in North Platte, NE) is a joke when it comes to repairs. I have had to self diagnose, and repeatedly take my vehicle in to them to get an issue fixed to satisfaction.

- , North Platte, NE, USA

Jul 292015

Freestar 3.9L

i BOUGHT THE VAN ON JUNE 1, 2015. two weeks later the transmission went out. I paid cash

the ford dealer would not do anything. so i had to come up the cash to get it fixed and towed. it took a

while about a month to fix.

- , Lumberton, MS, USA

Feb 012012

Freestar

transmission failure started slipping just after 150000 kms. we had it repaired and then the entire transmission blew 50000 kms later

- , Maple Ridge, British Columbia, canada

Nov 292015

Freestar

I recently took my 2005 Ford Freestar into our local Ford Dealership here in Martinsburg WV for torque converter recall. I was told this would take a day to a day and a half at most but it ended up taking a whole week. This is just the first of my issues. Following I have discovered that when they put my vehicle back together that they gorilla torqued and most likely stripped my oil pan plug as we are unable to remove it as of yet. They left my vehicle with little to no oil in it before returning it to me, and yesterday on my way back from Huntsville Alabama for the holidays my vehicle at stop position, gears will not catch until engine is in full throttle and then I release the gas.

I found this out in Southern Virginia with over 300 miles to travel at the end of a holiday weekend. I made it home as in higher gears the vehicle continues without fail. How long this will last I am unsure. Taking vehicle in for estimate on Wednesday. Refuse to go back to Ford Dealership for fear they will screw it up even more!!!

Extremely Frustrated!!!!!

- , MARTINSBURG, WV, USA

Aug 042015

Freestar LS 3.2L

Took my Freestar to Ford Cross Roads in Wake Forest NC to have the Torque Converter replaced because of a recall and now my transmission needs to be replaced. What a racket Ford has going. This is just the beginning of my complaints about the treatment of loyal Ford customers.

- , Wake Forest, NC, USA

Apr 092015

Freestar

I have seen that this is a common problem with this vehicle.

- , Sandusky, USA

Jul 222013

Freestar SES 3.9L

This has been a nightmare, been without a car for several months in 2013 and now 2015 in Feb. the same thing is happening again. Just got back from the Ford place, cost another 600 dollars and it's still not right. I have spent 7000 dollars on this van and I don't know if the transmission will work today or not. All my years of owning a car, I have never had nothing like this.

- , Notasulga, AL, USA

Feb 192015

Freestar 4.2L V6

Was backing out of driveway and stopped to put car in drive, no movement only the engine revving Was stuck blocking the street. Luckily its a dead-end and no one needed to get by. had a neighbor who is a mechanic look and he finally believed me about the problem. We had to use a tow rope to get the car to the side of the road, still no reverse or drive. Decided to get lunch and then deal with the problem. Well 2 hours went by and decided before I call tow truck to try again. Guess what it moved! Had already got my wife's car to drive so used that car to drive to dealer and see what could be done. Set up for them to have it for the week starting on Monday. Drove it a few miles over the week end no problem and then left with them.

They tried it several times over the week and could not duplicate.

They said no codes shown and that next is to pull the power control module at my cost of $140+/-.

Will drive till no go and have it towed to them but not sure that checking the box will fix anything since if its that then how much for new one...?

- , Portland, ME, USA

Feb 032015

Freestar 4.2L V6

happened again! Backed the car up about 2 car lengths after snow storm to clean up the driveway. left the car running for 15-30 minutes. Got back in to move back and the car and again had no forward or reverse. Waited a 3 hours and started the engine and had reverse and drive. Drove the car around no problem

- , Portland, ME, USA

Feb 162015

Freestar 3

My 2005 Freestar started to shudder REALLY BAD. Had the computer changed, that did not stop it. I took it to Mr. Transmission, he said that the torque converter was the problem and that there was a recall in 2012 because of it being unsafe. When the Ford dealership ran my VIN they said that it was not covered. I phoned Ford recall he said all he could do is send a statement to the engineers he was just reading or going through his usual speech.

I started asking questions from people around me if they had a vehicle the same as mine. Found someone with the EXACT YEAR MAKE MODEL AND PROBLEM and it was fixed. I do not know why mine was not fixed when others were? I do not know where to go to get answers this is EXTREMELY unfair.

- , Flesherton, Ontario, canada

Sep 012014

Freestar LS 4.2L V6

Driving down i75..detroit...about 60 mph...all of a sudden without warning trans goes out...stuck in detroit....so i called ford service for a tow and they told me to tow it myself..money out of my pocket for their recall...my father worked at fords for 35 yrs...my stepdad 40 yrs..father in law 35 yrs..i currently am going on my 20 yr..and my wife 19 yrs...at ford motor co...these people don't give a f%ck about anything except that monthly car payment...my next new vehicle or used will prob be a honda or chevy.....f*ck it!!

- , Washington, MI, USA

Sep 302013

Freestar sel

tool the van in for a recall on the torque convertor and was told I need a new transmission, sounds like cause and effect to me , torque convertor fingers break ( little pieces ) follow the fluid in to the transmission, presto new transmission needed. Ford should fix this problem to, I don;'t hot rod the car , no young drivers, . I called 1-800-565-3673 and filed a consumer complaint with Ford. Let see what happens next.

Update from Oct 15, 2013: I have been informed that it is Internal Transmission Failure, price quoted to repair is $2500.00. Ford refuses to own this problem even through they know it is caused by the torque convertor failure.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Sep 112013

Freestar Freestar Se 3.9L V6

LESS THAN 1500 MILES AFTER RECALL WAS DONE WHILE DRIVING THE ENGINE JUST RACED WHILE DRIVING. I THOUGHT IT WAS A BELT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. FORD CALLED ME BACK IN 2 HOURS AND SAID I NEEDED A NEW TRANSMISSION AND I WAS COVERED UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY. AFTER CALLING EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS AND BEING TOLD THEY WERE WORKING ON IT, I GET A CALL AFTER 2 FULL WEEKS TELLING ME THERE WAS WATER IN THE TRANSMISSION AND I'M NOT COVERED. AFTER READING ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION TROUBLE IN THE 2005 FORD FREESTAR THIS SEEM LIKE A TOTAL SCAM. WHAT CAN I DO AS I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR THIS EXPENSIVE FIX. I JUST NOTIFIED THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND WILL SEE IF THEY CAN HELP. I'M 5 YEARS OLD AND HAD FORDS ALL MY LIFE BUT I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER ONE.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 012013

Freestar 3.2L

HI 2005 ford freestar just guit moving, no drive forward or backwards. motor run fine needed to be towed 125 miles that suck ford sucks at the shop now .had to get a rental car

- , Phx, AZ, USA

Aug 222013

Freestar SEL 4.2L

I had a recall on the '05 Freestar transmission torque converter. It supposedly took 3 DAYS to fix. I got it back that night (Wed) and then went to work the next day (Thurs). When I went to go home the transmission goes out. It was only driven about 40 miles. It now will not go forward or reverse. They claim that the clutch has gone out. The clutch is connected to the gears that makes the transmission work. So, what I don't get is, if I got a completely repaired car on Wed, why would it suddenly brake down the very next day?!?!?

- , Lebanon, IN, USA

Apr 142011

Freestar

We had just purchased the van, in Feb 2011 , with payments for two years. First vehicle that we ever bought off a lot.

In April 2011 the van lost power, and had to be pulled over immediately. The van started, but wouldn't go into any gears. Several mechanics said it was the transmission and quoted $2000 to $3000 to fix without even looking at the vehicle, and that it would take at least a week to fix. We towed our van home and the tow truck driver gave us a company to call that handles just transmissions, he also told us it didn't sound like the transmission, especially with the low mileage. We called the co. and towed the van an hour away, he said that the Freestar has a computer sensor that is faulty, The sensor is under $100.00 but getting at it is difficult so labor costs are high. All said and done $1400.00.

I received a call back from Ford for certain problems wrong with the Freestar, not sure if this is covered. Ford said they would send the forms out but I still don't have them. All-in-all this van is costing us 8000.00. First time I ever bought a Ford, wont buy one again.

I still have the van , and it is now running fine, can't get rid of it , I still have 1 and 1/2 years left to pay. I don't work{medical} my husband works for minimum wage, this Wiped us out financially, in fact we had to move in with my daughter. The repair had to be paid by borrowing more money. My next vehicle is going to be a scooter, no insurance, low cost, no regulations,no test., cheap.

- , Leamington, Ontario, Canada

May 192013

Freestar SE 4.2L

I became aware of other customer complaints about the Transmission/PCM related concerns in 2011 when experiencing a vibration when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (it seemed) and researched it. I followed a dealers recommendation by having my transmission fluid changed as recommended to ford specs. The vibration seemed to calm somewhat. Around this same time I noticed my cruise control would work only off and on at different speeds and times. No check engine light ever came on. I sent my an email to Ford of Canada at which time I was advised that a torque converter recall was coming and that I should contact the dealer. I did this however the dealer was only just getting word of the recall and there would be a backlog of course when it came out officially. I was advised to wait for the formal recall which I received and booked my recall and it was completed in 2012/early 2013. I also had another recall done for a seat concern just in May 2013.

While driving to the US May 19th 2013 at 100km/hr my vehicles cruise was acting suspicious and I disengaged it for this reason. I then noticed my vehicle was at 3000rpms so seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear or something. It then FAILED and I was BARELY able to get off at an exit and had to push my vehicle into a spot at a service station. I was very concerned for my safety and my family at this time. I was in total SHOCK that there was no real warning.

I checked the dipstick for the tranny there seemed to be enough fluid however slight amounts of smoke came from the dipstick reservoir. NO SIGNS of leaking below the vehicle whatsoever. It was towed to a Ford dealer and I was left with no real option other than new tranny for $3200. Very disappointed to say the least.

- , Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Mar 202013

Freestar

had a recall notice for torque converter, called and they were out stock , said they would send out another notice. on 03-20-13 car jerked going into reverse, didn't think much about it. put in drive and car didn't want to move so i pushed on excelerator and it got to the stop sign, made my turn and excelerated, car sounded like it was racing and i wasn't going anywhere till i excelerated more and noticed a yellow star like lited up on my dash that i have never seen before. got car to service station and and when i turned car off it jerked, i thought the engine was going to leap out. had car towed to ford dealership.no way i was going to drive it anymore without being fixed. total drive from where i started car to where i turned it off was two blocks.

- , Mt Gilead, OH, USA

Jun 182012

Freestar 3.9L

IDIOTS FORD ENGINEERS!!!!!!!! THEY DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM KNOWING IT SINCE THE FIRST YEAR THE 2005 WENT ON THE ROAD. BUT WORSE THAN THAT IS GALPIN FORD IN PANORAMA CITY CALIFORNIA. THEY LIED TO ME AFTER THEY SAID THAT THE RECALL WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THEY CALLED THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS UP AND RUNNING AFTER THE RECALL BUT THEY HEARD SOME NOISES AND RECOMMENDED TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION. I BELIEVED THAT (I DID RECALL SOME NOISES) BUT AFTER THEY REPLACED IT THEY TOLD ME THAT THE FRONT BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THEY WERE NOISY.......I DID REFUSE TO HAVE THEM DOING MORE CRAP AND AND PAID FOR THE NEW TRANSMISSION. I DID REPLACE THE DRIVER FRONT TIRE BEARING AT MY GARAGE AND THE NOISE STOP (REPLACED THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT BEARING TOO). BUT I DISCOVERED THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS NEVER TO BE EXCHANGED. GALPING FORD SUCH A LIARS SAME AS FORD COMPANY!!!!!!! IF ANY LAWYER FIRM WANTS TO MAKE MONEY WITH A CLASS A SUIT THERE ARE YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU AND FOR THE CONSUMERS TO RECOVER SOME MONEY FROM THESE BASTARDS. AGREE WITH ME MR, LEONARD FROM GALPING FORD?

- , Temecula, CA, USA