9.1

$2,323.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (28 reports)
  3. torque converter input shaft splines stripped.trans replaced (8 reports)
  4. recalled torque converter (3 reports)
  5. replace torque converter output shaft (2 reports)
  6. we had to replace the entire trans-axle system in the van (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Feb 192015

Freestar 4.2L V6

Was backing out of driveway and stopped to put car in drive, no movement only the engine revving Was stuck blocking the street. Luckily its a dead-end and no one needed to get by. had a neighbor who is a mechanic look and he finally believed me about the problem. We had to use a tow rope to get the car to the side of the road, still no reverse or drive. Decided to get lunch and then deal with the problem. Well 2 hours went by and decided before I call tow truck to try again. Guess what it moved! Had already got my wife's car to drive so used that car to drive to dealer and see what could be done. Set up for them to have it for the week starting on Monday. Drove it a few miles over the week end no problem and then left with them.

They tried it several times over the week and could not duplicate.

They said no codes shown and that next is to pull the power control module at my cost of $140+/-.

Will drive till no go and have it towed to them but not sure that checking the box will fix anything since if its that then how much for new one...?

- , Portland, ME, USA

Feb 032015

Freestar 4.2L V6

happened again! Backed the car up about 2 car lengths after snow storm to clean up the driveway. left the car running for 15-30 minutes. Got back in to move back and the car and again had no forward or reverse. Waited a 3 hours and started the engine and had reverse and drive. Drove the car around no problem

- , Portland, ME, USA

Feb 162015

Freestar 3

My 2005 Freestar started to shudder REALLY BAD. Had the computer changed, that did not stop it. I took it to Mr. Transmission, he said that the torque converter was the problem and that there was a recall in 2012 because of it being unsafe. When the Ford dealership ran my VIN they said that it was not covered. I phoned Ford recall he said all he could do is send a statement to the engineers he was just reading or going through his usual speech.

I started asking questions from people around me if they had a vehicle the same as mine. Found someone with the EXACT YEAR MAKE MODEL AND PROBLEM and it was fixed. I do not know why mine was not fixed when others were? I do not know where to go to get answers this is EXTREMELY unfair.

- , Flesherton, Ontario, canada

Sep 012014

Freestar LS 4.2L V6

Driving down i75..detroit...about 60 mph...all of a sudden without warning trans goes out...stuck in detroit....so i called ford service for a tow and they told me to tow it myself..money out of my pocket for their recall...my father worked at fords for 35 yrs...my stepdad 40 yrs..father in law 35 yrs..i currently am going on my 20 yr..and my wife 19 yrs...at ford motor co...these people don't give a f%ck about anything except that monthly car payment...my next new vehicle or used will prob be a honda or chevy.....f*ck it!!

- , Washington, MI, USA

Sep 302013

Freestar sel

tool the van in for a recall on the torque convertor and was told I need a new transmission, sounds like cause and effect to me , torque convertor fingers break ( little pieces ) follow the fluid in to the transmission, presto new transmission needed. Ford should fix this problem to, I don;'t hot rod the car , no young drivers, . I called 1-800-565-3673 and filed a consumer complaint with Ford. Let see what happens next.

Update from Oct 15, 2013: I have been informed that it is Internal Transmission Failure, price quoted to repair is $2500.00. Ford refuses to own this problem even through they know it is caused by the torque convertor failure.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Sep 112013

Freestar Freestar Se 3.9L V6

LESS THAN 1500 MILES AFTER RECALL WAS DONE WHILE DRIVING THE ENGINE JUST RACED WHILE DRIVING. I THOUGHT IT WAS A BELT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. FORD CALLED ME BACK IN 2 HOURS AND SAID I NEEDED A NEW TRANSMISSION AND I WAS COVERED UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY. AFTER CALLING EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS AND BEING TOLD THEY WERE WORKING ON IT, I GET A CALL AFTER 2 FULL WEEKS TELLING ME THERE WAS WATER IN THE TRANSMISSION AND I'M NOT COVERED. AFTER READING ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION TROUBLE IN THE 2005 FORD FREESTAR THIS SEEM LIKE A TOTAL SCAM. WHAT CAN I DO AS I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR THIS EXPENSIVE FIX. I JUST NOTIFIED THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND WILL SEE IF THEY CAN HELP. I'M 5 YEARS OLD AND HAD FORDS ALL MY LIFE BUT I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER ONE.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 012013

Freestar 3.2L

HI 2005 ford freestar just guit moving, no drive forward or backwards. motor run fine needed to be towed 125 miles that suck ford sucks at the shop now .had to get a rental car

- , Phx, AZ, USA

Aug 222013

Freestar SEL 4.2L

I had a recall on the '05 Freestar transmission torque converter. It supposedly took 3 DAYS to fix. I got it back that night (Wed) and then went to work the next day (Thurs). When I went to go home the transmission goes out. It was only driven about 40 miles. It now will not go forward or reverse. They claim that the clutch has gone out. The clutch is connected to the gears that makes the transmission work. So, what I don't get is, if I got a completely repaired car on Wed, why would it suddenly brake down the very next day?!?!?

- , Lebanon, IN, USA

Apr 142011

Freestar

We had just purchased the van, in Feb 2011 , with payments for two years. First vehicle that we ever bought off a lot.

In April 2011 the van lost power, and had to be pulled over immediately. The van started, but wouldn't go into any gears. Several mechanics said it was the transmission and quoted $2000 to $3000 to fix without even looking at the vehicle, and that it would take at least a week to fix. We towed our van home and the tow truck driver gave us a company to call that handles just transmissions, he also told us it didn't sound like the transmission, especially with the low mileage. We called the co. and towed the van an hour away, he said that the Freestar has a computer sensor that is faulty, The sensor is under $100.00 but getting at it is difficult so labor costs are high. All said and done $1400.00.

I received a call back from Ford for certain problems wrong with the Freestar, not sure if this is covered. Ford said they would send the forms out but I still don't have them. All-in-all this van is costing us 8000.00. First time I ever bought a Ford, wont buy one again.

I still have the van , and it is now running fine, can't get rid of it , I still have 1 and 1/2 years left to pay. I don't work{medical} my husband works for minimum wage, this Wiped us out financially, in fact we had to move in with my daughter. The repair had to be paid by borrowing more money. My next vehicle is going to be a scooter, no insurance, low cost, no regulations,no test., cheap.

- , Leamington, Ontario, Canada

May 192013

Freestar SE 4.2L

I became aware of other customer complaints about the Transmission/PCM related concerns in 2011 when experiencing a vibration when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (it seemed) and researched it. I followed a dealers recommendation by having my transmission fluid changed as recommended to ford specs. The vibration seemed to calm somewhat. Around this same time I noticed my cruise control would work only off and on at different speeds and times. No check engine light ever came on. I sent my an email to Ford of Canada at which time I was advised that a torque converter recall was coming and that I should contact the dealer. I did this however the dealer was only just getting word of the recall and there would be a backlog of course when it came out officially. I was advised to wait for the formal recall which I received and booked my recall and it was completed in 2012/early 2013. I also had another recall done for a seat concern just in May 2013.

While driving to the US May 19th 2013 at 100km/hr my vehicles cruise was acting suspicious and I disengaged it for this reason. I then noticed my vehicle was at 3000rpms so seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear or something. It then FAILED and I was BARELY able to get off at an exit and had to push my vehicle into a spot at a service station. I was very concerned for my safety and my family at this time. I was in total SHOCK that there was no real warning.

I checked the dipstick for the tranny there seemed to be enough fluid however slight amounts of smoke came from the dipstick reservoir. NO SIGNS of leaking below the vehicle whatsoever. It was towed to a Ford dealer and I was left with no real option other than new tranny for $3200. Very disappointed to say the least.

- , Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Mar 202013

Freestar

had a recall notice for torque converter, called and they were out stock , said they would send out another notice. on 03-20-13 car jerked going into reverse, didn't think much about it. put in drive and car didn't want to move so i pushed on excelerator and it got to the stop sign, made my turn and excelerated, car sounded like it was racing and i wasn't going anywhere till i excelerated more and noticed a yellow star like lited up on my dash that i have never seen before. got car to service station and and when i turned car off it jerked, i thought the engine was going to leap out. had car towed to ford dealership.no way i was going to drive it anymore without being fixed. total drive from where i started car to where i turned it off was two blocks.

- , Mt Gilead, OH, USA

Jun 182012

Freestar 3.9L

IDIOTS FORD ENGINEERS!!!!!!!! THEY DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM KNOWING IT SINCE THE FIRST YEAR THE 2005 WENT ON THE ROAD. BUT WORSE THAN THAT IS GALPIN FORD IN PANORAMA CITY CALIFORNIA. THEY LIED TO ME AFTER THEY SAID THAT THE RECALL WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THEY CALLED THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS UP AND RUNNING AFTER THE RECALL BUT THEY HEARD SOME NOISES AND RECOMMENDED TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION. I BELIEVED THAT (I DID RECALL SOME NOISES) BUT AFTER THEY REPLACED IT THEY TOLD ME THAT THE FRONT BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THEY WERE NOISY.......I DID REFUSE TO HAVE THEM DOING MORE CRAP AND AND PAID FOR THE NEW TRANSMISSION. I DID REPLACE THE DRIVER FRONT TIRE BEARING AT MY GARAGE AND THE NOISE STOP (REPLACED THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT BEARING TOO). BUT I DISCOVERED THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS NEVER TO BE EXCHANGED. GALPING FORD SUCH A LIARS SAME AS FORD COMPANY!!!!!!! IF ANY LAWYER FIRM WANTS TO MAKE MONEY WITH A CLASS A SUIT THERE ARE YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU AND FOR THE CONSUMERS TO RECOVER SOME MONEY FROM THESE BASTARDS. AGREE WITH ME MR, LEONARD FROM GALPING FORD?

- , Temecula, CA, USA

Jun 262012

Freestar 3.9L

This is really insane! I have purchased a 2005 Ford FreeStar minivan after saving for years. I purchased this van 2 days ago. Before purchasing it did some research related to prices and millage, etc. Forty five minutes after purchasing this vehicle the transmission started to hesitate when getting off the light when going into second gear. Once I got home I contacted the mechanic that I paid to inspect the vehicle before purchasing it and also the dealer where I bought the car. Neither of them wants to take responsibility about the issue. I mean this is insane. I would understand if it was after a month or so but not the next day. Now I actually did some really good research I found out blogs on this site about a recall and the issues customers with the same problems as I have are having with the Ford company. I really don’t know what to do now because it seems Ford is not willing to really follow through with this recall issue and take responsibility. The worst part is that is my only means of transportation and I spend all the money I had saved. Now I am stuck with this vehicle. If anyone has a suggestion please guide me further in solving this problem. Thanks.

- , Miami Beach, FL, USA

Jun 092012

Freestar SE

I usually only drive the car on highway miles. Had been having a lot of jerking off and on lately and worried if I was going to get stuck in the mountains with no phone service. I happened in Wasilla, AK just after I had been to Kendall Ford. I had it towed to their service lot and left it there after telling Brad, the man in charge of the recall. He offered me no help other than renting a car from him for $33 DOLLARS A DAY. It took me almost a week to get a ride home, 160 miles away.

Now he tells me that my transmission is shot and it will cost between $3 and $4,000 to fix. I have a problem with that as I know that if the tourque converter is not running neither will the trany..

What they want to fix it is more than the car is worth, so what am I supposed to do with it??? Trash it with a new tourque converter. If Ford does not fix my transmission I am going to paint lemons on it and this is the 2nd ford product with a major transmission that I have owned and will never buy another FORD again. THE DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS. NOW i HAVE NO VEHICLE AND NO MONEY TO BUY ONE. THANKS FOR NOTHING.

- , Glennallen, Alaska, USA

Aug 252011

Freestar

Replaced torque converter and banner kit in August 2011 by a transmission specialist for $1800 because Ford quoted $3500. In April 2012 after receiving the recall information the transmission died on the way home from a late class, so I was able to just get to the exit and was stuck on the exit. State police and tow truck came to get me at 11pm. I towed it to my house because I wasn't sure where to take it the mechanic or the dealer for the recall. I called the number on the recall and they told me to take it to the dealer and gave me a case number. Towed it to the dealer only to be called to come pick it up before I even got home. So I had to bring it to the original mechanic, yes 3 tows. The original mechanic warranteed the work, put in a new torque converter and paid for the tow to his garage,. I ate the other 2. One week later I am driving 2 states away and I got the surge forward and the RPMs went over 3, while doing 70 mph on the highway. I was able to make it to the exit I needed, but once stopped had to push it into a hotel parking lot. I called the mechanic and he had it towed back to the shop again and is currently working on it and says the bearings also went this time. So I called Ford Customer Relations at 1800-392-3673 and at first they were going to help me then when I realized they called the wrong dealership to have my car fixed, I called back. When she called the correct dealership they advised her they went through this before and Customer relation wouldn't approve help because I used an independent garage and the part was no longer the original Ford part and because it was an after market part they wouldn't warrantee any of it. So I'm out of luck. I don't know about you but car parts whether from a dealership or car parts store should carry the same quality and they usually come from the same manufacturer just with a different cost because the dealer marks it up. If Fords transmission wasn't shoddy in the first place I wouldn't be going through this and obviously its not the torque converter but something else that is causing them to deteriorate so fast. This is ridiculous and I have been without a car for the second time in 2 weeks. Looking at all the complaints it seems this is happening to alot of people and others say that it is in fact the computer in theses cars. Although I can't see why or how a computer can wear a strong metal spline it seems that it may be a combination of problems that are happening. Since this traansmission was used in earlier cars with the same result Ford should never have put these in our vehicles which are minivans known to be the car of choice for moms with many kids such as myself. What are they waiting for? A young beautiful family to get killed due to their negligence. It's time they did what was right by the American people and take drastic steps to remedy this situation and stop blaming the consumer and their honest mechanics for their mistakes. p.s. We own the Windstar as well that is recalled for rear axle breakage and front frame warping. Guess they saw sucker when I was coming.

- , Swansea, MA, USA

Apr 112012

Freestar SEL 4.2L

This story, for us, has a happy ending, but it started out really lousy. We bought this van, used, from Elway Chevrolet in Denver, Colorado. We had owned the car for 2 months and had put a thousand miles on it. I had driven the van to the store, parked it in the lot, did some shopping, came out to go home, started the car, put it in gear and NOTHING!!!. I had to walk home, several miles, in the rain.

The next day, the car was towed to Elway Chevy and the Service Manager said he would take a look at it and we would go from there. Well, the van spent 3 weeks at the dealership. We were initially going to have to split the cost of repairs with them, $1500.00 to us. They were not aware of the recalls, but when I pointed out the recalls, we wound up having all of the work done at no cost to us and to their credit, Elway Chevy even covered the cost of the tow to their shop. So, thank you to John Elway Chevrolet and Jimmy, the General Manager, for doing the right thing.

- , Federal Heights, Co, USA

Apr 042012

Freestar LX 3.9L

Yesterday I went for a drive to take care of all my errands as usual. I made it home and when I needed to go back out, the van would not go into reverse. The only thing it would do is stay in park. I messed with it for awhile and it was like stuck into neutral. The park still worked, but sometimes it would go into neutral. I don't know what is wrong with it. I had it towed today to the mechanic. They can't look at it until tomorrow. Can this problem be due to the recalls? I'm stuck without a car and I can't get myself or my children to school. Anyone know of any other information? Can this really be the transmission? There was no problems with it until this happened.

Update from Apr 9, 2012: I had my van towed to my local mechanic. He determined that it was the transmission and that he is 100 percent sure that it is due to the recall. I had to tow it again to the Ford dealership. They told me that they can't look at it until a few days later. I was also told that they can't provide a loaner or car rental. They also don't have the parts in to fix it. Now I'm without a vehicle since this is my only one. In the mean time, I can't go to school. I'm a full time college student and I also have three children. One of my children is disabled and has a doctor appointment comming up and I have no way to take him to his therapy appointment. My other child also has a check up and I won't be able to go to that appointment either. This is really unfair. All of my relatives live out of state or they would help me. Also renting a car is about 200 dollars a week and I can't afford that. I don't think Ford is handling these issues fairly. This isn't right to treat their customers like this. I also had to pay 60 dollars for the mechanic to look at it and I'm sure that I won't ever be reinburst.what are people suppose to do? Not everyone is rich and have other ways of transportation. Now I will probably be dropped from my classes and my children won't get the medical care that they need. Ive offered to pay friends, but they all have jobs and responsibilities of their own.

- , Welcome, NC, USA

Feb 252012

Freestar ES V8

2005 Freestar surged from over 75 MPH to over 80 MPH in heavy high speed traffic with minimal room to maneuver due to terrain and steel cable guards along freeway. followed by sudden and total loss of transmission . . . extremely dangerous situation could have easily resulted in multiple fatal crashes due to heavy high speed traffic and no warning. For a retired couple this was the most dangerous condition we have experienced in 50 years of driving.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jan 282012

Freestar 3.9L

I am so surprised that my van lost power while driving..lucky i was smart enough to pull over basically i was coasting...gas pedal was no use..van just was revving..i heard about the recall 2 weeks ago..and i called the dealership they had no comment until they say in a few months..i was like wtf kind of answer is that...now look im without a van ....and i travel on 95 daily.....and no lights came on or nothing,

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Oct 152011

Freestar

I was driving a large group of people 1-5 south from oregon. In extreme traffic, we were in the fast lane doing about 70mph, when the "Beast" our Freestar's nickname), suddenly without warning lost power and everything shut down. Luckily I was able to glide over to the side of the road. I had no turn signals or 4 way hazards working to alert other drivers of our emergency. Needless to say, we had to be towed back to portland. a true Bummer! Im not hating on ford though as nothing in this life is perfect, but I do believe that with such a great automobile, ford should definitely step up to the plate, stand behind thier product and correct the on going problem with these vehicals (freestar of charge). this should not happen on a regular basis to ford owners especially when ford is aware of this problem. we love our freestar. its been a great van other than that major problem that could have been prevented.

- , Vancouver, Wash, USA