8.4

Most common solutions:

2. replace battery (2 reports)
  3. warranty replacement & software update-audio control module (2 reports)
  4. replace radio (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Fusion:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Nov 272017

Fusion Titanium 2.0L I4

Yet another dead battery in a 2017 Fusion. I have had this car for 11 months. It is the Titanium Energi plug-in hybrid.

In the weeks leading up to the total failure of the 12V battery I was experiencing erratic operation of the electronics (e.g. radio wouldn't turn off, AC wouldn't come on, seat didn't return to its preset position). In the days leading up to the dead battery I would return to my vehicle after a few hours to find a message on my console stating that the car had switched to battery saver mode and the car often didn't start immediately with the push button. This happened even though I was sure that I had turned everything off and was not in accessory mode.

On 11/25/17, my car would not start at all. It was dead except for the light surrounding the shift knob and an unidentifiable "ticking" sound under the hood. Perhaps it was a spark plug sparking? I called roadside assistance and got a jump. Car sat in the garage on the charger all day on 11/26/17. 11/27/17 I got in the car intending to go to work only to find the car dead once again. I had it towed to the dealer. They replaced the 12V battery and reset the battery management system (BMS), but they had no explanation for why this battery died. They also didn't mention that this is a common problem. Many others who have reported a complaint on this site noted that the the audio control module (ACM) was blamed for the issue and replaced. They did not replace the ACM on my car. I just got the car back today (11/28/17). We will see if the problem returns. Based on the complaints I have read, I expect to be back into the dealer soon with the same issue. I will provide updates.

- , Livonia, US

Oct 012017

Fusion S 2.7L

I purchased a 2017 Fusion S in late December 2016. Within a few days, I found the battery was dead after sitting overnight. Initially thought it was due to my mistake of leaving something on or plugged in to the 12V jack. In Jan 2017, I realized the problem was the car. The dealer was willing to help and the car has been into their service department 8 times and a Ford engineer has been involved in the most recent time. In the last 6 months, the battery has died 10 times.

On Oct 4, 2017, I was advised by the dealer service manager that Ford has finally acknowledge there is a widespread problem with the 2017 Fusion. Apparently one of the many electronic modules randomly powers up after the car has been turned off and it drains the battery after 12 - 24 hours. The service manager advised that Ford has indicated they are working on a solution and expects to release it soon.

- , Cartersville, US

Jan 222017

Fusion 2.5L

On December 2016 I purchased a 2017 Ford Fusion. Happily trading in my 2014 Ford Focus with the dual shift transmission that I was told the shuddering & noises were normal. Really?!

Towards the end of January of 2017 I went to my garage to start of the Fusion and it was dead. I thought I left something on so I had my son jump it and off to work I went. Then it happened again when I went to start it in the morning approximately one-two weeks later. Nothing was on. Dealership can't find anything. After months of dealing with going out in the morning and finding it dead, having it jumped, taking it to the dealership, getting a rental -Ford Motor Co and the dealership finally got me another 2017 Ford Fusion. I was ecstatic. I thought one bad apple right? Wrong....

The middle of July, I was finally getting to take my new Fusion. I couldn't believe it, 9 days later I went to start it...dead. My stomach dropped. Why can't they just fix it? No guessing because I have heard it all. Transformers by my house (I emailed pictures to rule that one out), pushing the start button twice. I am tired of feeling like I am doing something wrong.

Ford needs to find some resolution to this problem. They build them they should know how to fix them beyond the computer diagnostics which always comes back with nothing. I purchased a new vehicle for the dependability factor. I never know when I step onto my driveway whether it will start or not.......not dependable.

- , Toledo, US

Sep 052017

Fusion S 2,4

Went to leave for work, and my fusion won't start. Have had NO issues before now. Jump started the car, got it running, and drove it straight to the dealer. The writer told me there is some 3 hour battery test. So im sure I wont here anything back today...Standby!

- , Pasadena, US

May 302017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

After a 7 day vacation and the car sat unused, it would not start. Thinking I may have left the door ajar or something, I just charged the battery and drove it to work. For five days, had no problem. After the car sat for two days, the battery was dead again. After one day, a message appeared on my Ford Pass app saying "Deep Sleep Mode Activated; To conserve battery power, Fusion Sport has entered Deep Sleep mode. This occurs when your vehicle has been inactive for 14 or more consecutive days." Since this wasn't the case, I has the battery tested at Advanced Auto. They will test for free. They said the battery was shot and will not hold a charge anymore. Took it to the Ford Dealer and they replaced the battery with no explanation of why this happened.

- , Seven Valleys, US

Sep 172017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

After the car sat unused for 24 hours, it would not start. A message also appeared on my Ford Pass app saying "Deep Sleep Mode Activated; To conserve battery power, Fusion Sport has entered Deep Sleep mode. This occurs when your vehicle has been inactive for 14 or more consecutive days." Since this wasn't the case, I I called the Ford Dealer and they made an appointment for me as of this date.

- , Seven Valleys, US

Jan 262017

Fusion 2.5L

2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain. Jumped it and took to dealer. No resolution.

Update from Sep 6, 2017: 2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain Again on May 30, 2017. Jumped it and took to dealer. No Resolution.

Update from Sep 6, 2017: 2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain. Had towed to dealer September 2, 2017. No Resolution. Acquired copy of Ford's Technical Service Bulletin and I quote in its entirety, "SSM 46775 - 2017 Fusion - 2.5L - Battery Drain - Without Active Grille Shutter - Some 2017 Fusion vehicles equipped without active grille shutters (ASG) may exhibit a concern of battery drain. Battery drain may be a res... stop/start button cycling. PCM battery drain may not be reproducible under some circumstances, especially after a battery has been discharged or if the battery has b... updates. To prevent this condition, instruct the customer that the start/stop button should not be pressed more than once within 5 seconds."

- , Phoenix, AZ, US

Aug 022017

Fusion 2.5L

Battery dead again. Called and got it towed to dealership. They have had car 5 days and unable to tell whats wrong with it. Will not give me a loaner or anything.

Jul 022017

Fusion

On 7/2/17 while on vacation we awoke to a dead battery. We assumed that we had left something on int he car overnight. Jumped it and went about our day.

On 7/16/17 we once again awoke to a dead battery. This time we were positive that we had not left anything on. I brought it into the dealer that Monday. They tested the battery and said the battery was saying it was fine. They cleared the code and said to bring it back if it happens again. This was at around 7600 miles.

Jump to yesterday, 8/13/17 and once again a dead battery at around 9960 miles. Bringing it back to the dealer today along with a printout of these complaints.

I have noticed while sitting in the car waiting for my children to be done with whatever practice, game or event that they are at, that the dashboard will occasionally illuminate and the shifter will occasionally illuminate and click while the car is off. I'm sure this is part of whatever is draining the battery. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it will happen or for how long. sometimes its just a couple of clicks and sometimes it seems to go on for close to a minute.

- , Walpole, US

Feb 022017

Fusion 2.5L

Went out to get in my car after going out of town for one day and the battery was completely dead. Had to call road side assistance to jump off and took to the dealership where they replaced the battery.

Jul 032017

Fusion 2.5L

Battery dead again, taken to dealership where they kept it overnight and replaced the battery again.

Feb 012017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

What good is a car if it doesn't start? Just go out there and search "2017 Ford Fusion Sport Dead Battery" on Google and see all the hits. Or maybe read five of the 1500 posts spread across 130 pages documenting the issue on a single site here: http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/257-fusion-v6-sport-audio-electronics-lighting/3770-dead-battery-93.html

May be a bad ACM, bad center dial shifter, or driver door module? Who knows?! Ford engineers don't and that's likely why there still isn't a recall for this well-known issue to date. Help document this problem and bring light to us steadfast consumers!

After loving all my Fords, including this here widespread lemon, I cannot recommend Ford to family, friends, or even strangers at this point.

- , Chicago, IL, US

Nov 202016

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6 Tt

Title this "Love The Car - Hate The Problem"

From my Sport Saga Notes:

Nov 21 2016 : Battery Dead Overnight (1st time) : Ford Roadside Assist jumpstart, then to selling dealership for diagnostics.

Nov 22 2016 : Shop Foreman says Body Control Module (BCM) not sleeping consistently. Ordered replacement. - After BCM received, shop says Ford sent wrong BCM. Reordered. Sigh. - BCM installed, electrics tested, picked up week after Turkey Day.

Dec 5 2016 : Dead Battery Again After going dead again twice each overnight Fri - Sat Dec 2nd - 3rd. Dropped off this AM. Dealer shop found no direct cause but found a discrepancy in how the optional Illuminated Door Sill Plates were installed before deliver last Oct and re-wired. We're all hoping this resolves the intermittent overnight battery drains.

Jan 6 : Nope. Dealer shop replaced factory battery that had been drained repeatedly by continuing intermittent overnight battery drains, JIC. Once again we're all hoping this resolves the intermittent overnight battery drains.

Feb 6 : NOPE. Dead start again. Ford Roadside called for immediate tow, no jump to hopefully make diagnostics more effective at seller dealership. - After days of tests & diags & delays*, shop foreman says BCM replaced in Nov 2016 was STILL wrong (by 1 Part # digit) and should never have worked from the start. (Huh.) Also he suspects the Transmission Control Module (TCM) of randomly illuminating tranny control dial LED. Meanwhile FORD says replace the ACM (Audio Control Module) based on data related to "hundreds" of 2017 Fusion product line battery drain reports. Delay 1: The only specialized tech in shop who can work on this issue "has a medical issue". *Delay 2: "The shop foreman is out and he wants to double check the tech's work." *Delay 3: "I had a root canal this morning." *Delay 4: "Whoa man, the power was out here all morning!" *Delay 5: "I had open heart surgery. That time."

Feb 19 : Fixed? Nope. Waiting for ACM from Ford's vendor. Dealer service manager says "Should have ACM by Tuesday" Feb 21st. If not STILL backordered (OMG pls no). Then, installation and at least one overnight test.

Please God, please God, please God...

Update from Feb 27, 2017: Feb 27 Update

Feb 21 : Dealer received & installed replacement Audio Control Module (ACM) however software update provided by Ford to resolve intermittent battery drain upload failed. Ford stated next communication on Feb 22.

Feb 24 : Nothing from dealership until today and still no working ACM software update. Ford says next follow up on this software fix by March 3rd. Since our shiny new 2017 Ruby Red paint-upgraded Sport is exiled to the open-air dealer’s lot until god knows when and it’s Springtime For Texas (which means thunder-boomers, highwinds and the always imminent tornado or two), we asked the shop to button ‘er up for pickup. Since the root problem boils down to an intermittent overnight battery drain that we can mitigate with our slow charger, it only makes sense to garage protect paint & body while getting use out of a new car with new car loan and insurance payments due, regardless.

So now its on Ford and its worth saying, after a bumpy start, the dealership is doing the best they can in a bad sitch all around. Our dealer shop alone has at least 3 new cars w/ this issue waiting for a Ford resolution. Its a big PITA for all of us.

Next Update : Next Week

Update from Mar 11, 2017: March 11 Update

Mar 3 : News! Dealership received ACM software update late on this Friday, installed on one of the other cars waiting in-shop for testing on the following Mon March 6th.

Mar 7 : Good News! The ACM software update installed on another 2017 Fusion in the dealer’s shop passed initial testing and was returned to that car’s owner. Set a quick ‘While-U-Wait’ install and programming appointment for Thur AM March 9th.

March 11 : So far so good - Test cranks every morning successful to this point w/ all systems go. Since the initial, post-delivery battery drain didn’t occur until a full 7 weeks after delivery we’ll wait until 7 from now to declare status Victory / Problem Solved / Ford (and vendors) Removed From Sht List. HOPEfully my Final Update to this problem will occur then. Wish us Luck (crosses fingers, crosses self, knocks on wood, smudges sage in garage, puts out flash-fire caused by burning plant material and fuel fumes, bandages 3rd degree burns over former location of eyebrows, dances in a circle while praying to the Car Gods).

Update from Apr 3, 2017: April 3 2017 : About 4 weeks and so far so good since the ACM (Audio Control Module) code update on March 9th. No random overnight battery drains since then, however will reserve final verdict until early May and after zero additional stealth battery bye-byes. Will update again, by then.

Update from Jun 3, 2017: June 3rd 2017 Update :: It appears the fix is in : GTG since the March 9th ACM replacement and software install. No random first-thing AM dead battery or other weird electrical or Control Module issues. We're finally back to "Love The Car" after leaving the problem behind!

- , Cedar Park, US

Oct 032016

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6 Tt

Ordered from the factory in July 2016. Took delivery on 12 Sep 2016.

Almost 12 WEEKS AT THE DEALER

Battery died the 1st time on 03 Oct after sitting for one week in my garage. 57 Miles. Died a couple more times and I blamed myself for leaving the key fob in the car and using the door numeric pad for entry. This was not the issue. Car went in on 08 Nov 16 at 1100 miles. Changed two batteries and the OBDII module. Got the car back 12 Dec. Dead 13 Dec Towed to Fraser Ford, Oshawa, Ontario , Canada on 16 Dec. Still sitting at dealer as of 30 Jan 17.

The mechanic,service advisor and service manager have been great but this is a electronics issue that is causing the car to wake up arbitrarily and ultimately kill the battery. An engineering matter that is beyond the scope of the dealer.

Ford of Canada has been abysmal in their handling of this issue. Not calling when promised. Not returning calls. (All I asked for was a once a week update) At least 50 reported cars in Ford dealers for the same problem. Now they are saying it may be the ACM but they can't give me a ETA for the part.

Loved the car, love the dealer but Ford of Canada customer service upper management needs to address these shortcomings.

- , Bowmanville, ON, Canada

Nov 282016

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

I recently purchased this car and have had 4 occurrences now where after as little as 2 days when I go start the car the battery is dead. I have reported to the dealer after each occurrence as this is a brand new car. I have also reported to Ford Canada customer service. Ford Canada not aware of problem. The dealer checked today and found nothing wrong. I am leaving it at the dealer over the weekend which will be 4 nights.

Update from Feb 15, 2017: After 5 nights at dealer they could find nothing wrong. The car is in our garage. I am going to monitor the battery voltage and take it back next time it dies. Not sure what else to do.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Jan 072017

Fusion SE 2.0L

I've had the same problems as the others and more. I purchased my 2017 Fusion in late September 2016. Almost immediately, my rear speakers started popping and "eject disc" would randomly appear on the touchscreen (even though I didn't have a CD in the player and hadn't pressed the eject button). A few weeks later, the rear camera intermittently failed. I took it in for service in December and was told they needed to replace the audio control module. It took a week for them to get the part and install it. I was told that would fix everything except the speaker popping. The dealership told me that Ford told them that was normal. Yep, that's right. Normal. It's always nice to have your intelligence insulted.

The day after I got the car back, the rear camera again failed. I called to schedule another appointment, and the manager called back surprised I was having the same problem. It was close to Christmas, so I told him I would come in after the new year. A few days later, the audio buttons on the touchscreen and the physical console would not respond to commands. Nor would SYNC respond to voice commands.

A few days after that, I smelled something like campfire smoke when the heat was on. The same night, I remote started my car. When I got to it, the car was on, but the heat was not. The climate buttons would not respond. I had no heat, and no defogger. You might expect that I froze my buns off on the way home, but the seat warmer was the only thing putting out any heat! The next morning, Saturday, January 7th, I tried to remote start. I heard two clicks and no start. When I entered the car and tried to start it, the touchscreen displayed: "System off to save battery." I had to call a tow truck. It took the guy 30 minutes to get it jumped.

I took the car to the dealership. The service rep told me that the problem was the audio control module. Yes, the same module they had just replaced a few weeks earlier. They told me that, despite its name, the audio control module essentially controls all of the electrical systems controlled by the touchscreen and physical console buttons. Their solution to this faulty ACM? Pure genius. Replace it with a new one. Yes, that's right. For those counting at home, this will be the third ACM in four months. Third time will be the charm, right? Problem is, it's on back order. I was told it would arrive on Thursday, January 19th. It's now January 29th. No module. Ford customer service told me that the supplier can't commit to getting one to me until the week of February 13th. Yep, that'll be over 30 days in the shop.

I talked to the head service manager at the dealership and to the president of the dealership. I told them that this seems to be an electrical problem, perhaps a short, and that the smoke smell signaled a wiring problem. I was essentially ignored. I was told Fusion is one of the top selling vehicles in the Ford fleet, and no one had reported similar problems. Clearly, they aren't familiar with this website.

Update from Feb 2, 2017: Ford managed to get an ACM earlier than expected. It was received on January 30, 2017. It was installed and tested on January 30-31, 2017. I picked it up on February 1, 2017. The backup camera cut out again on February 2, 2017. The humming is back, too. Very frustrated at this point. Guess I'll just have to run out the ground balls for the lemon law at this point. I have no faith that Ford will fix this.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 142017

Fusion Sport 2.7L

Defect in ACM and GSM draining battery been in shop 3 weeks and counting back ordered

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 222017

Fusion S 2.5L I-4

Walked out to pick up my son from his friends house today, clicked the button on my fob, no light flashes, tried a couple more times, no luck. Opened the door, no lights came on no reaction to my presence, no reaction to pressing the start button. Pulled the battery, took it up to Autozone, had them test and charge, they said battery is fine. Brought it home, hooked it back up, car started up like normal.

Things i had before today. A charging cable in the USB port with nothing on the other end. The Ford Pass app on my phone, and my phone hooked up to Sync.

I did notice after driving to the store and back home when i shut the car off, the ford emblem stayed on the screen even after i opened the door to get out. Pressing the power button without my foot on the brake and then again after a few seconds turned off everything properly. I intend to call the dealer tomorrow since i'm close to my first service anyway, will update with fixes.

Update from Jan 27, 2017: Took my car into the dealer this morning, they couldn't find anything wrong within the solutions that had been discussed here or other boards. I'll keeep a close eye on it. I haven't put the Ford Pass app back on, so it may have been that. Will update if I get anymore information, hopefully Ford pinpoints the problem and addresses it.

Update from Feb 15, 2017: So far, so good, after uninstalling ford pass app, leaving the keys further away from the vehicle and shutting off the radio before exiting the vehicle, I have not come out to a dead battery, though it required a change in habits on my part.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 152016

Fusion Sport 2.7L TtV6

I've been getting "system off to save battery power" messages on the radio all the time, the occasional labored start, and a totally dead battery twice. I took it to the dealer once the first time, and they replaced the battery which I knew wouldn't fix it.

A little more than a week later and that new battery is having the same issues, except more frequently now that it is getting really cold.

I think it may have something to do with the CD player, as it cycles the eject motor about every 8 seconds after shutting the car off, until you start it back up. This happens regardless of if its locked, how far away the keys are, or if you used the keypad or remote.

The other thing I've noticed is that the lights on the gear selector dial stay lit for a long time after turning off the car. That might have something to do with it as well, although that is harder to tell, and they do shut off eventually.

Just really hoping that the other fusion owners that I know are having this problem as well will submit their complaints too so Ford takes notice and comes up with a fix. I'm tired of not knowing whether my car is going to start in the morning or not.

- , Highland Heights, OH, USA

Dec 202016

Fusion Sport V6

Same electrical problem as the others. Had this car only 5 weeks. Got up one morning to take the kids to school and the battery was dead. It will start with a "jump start" but the battery dies overnight. Took it back to the dealer and it's been there since Dec. 20th. The dealer still can't figure out what's wrong with it...where the battery drain is coming from. Ford Customer Care has been no help whatsoever so far. They promised to get back to me in 2 business days with, QUOTE, "A resolution". They got back to me in 2 days alright. Their idea of a resolution? "I'm so sorry you are having a bad experience. I understand it's frustrating. Give me until,say Tuesday, and I will call you back and see what we can do for you." That's it. Stuck me with a rental...a 2015 Ford Escape...not even close. I'm so pissed...I paid big bucks for a top of the line Ford Fusion. Being treated by Ford just as one would expect from a big company...they have my money so they don't give a s**t. I have owned 19 GM vehicles and I never had any problems like this. This is my 3rd Ford. I have seen other forums where people have posted the same problem, so I expect a recall will be eminent for 2017 Fusion owners...if they can ever diagnose the problem. I have owned 19 GM vehicles and I never had any problems like this. This is my 3rd Ford...And my last if this is how they treat their customers. I will update when I hear back from Ford Canada.

Update from Jan 24, 2017: Car is still in the shop. Engineers still cannot diagnose the problem. Ford customer care won't even return my calls any more. Been over a month now. I've gone to local media and they are interested in doing a story on it...the lack of support from Ford is unacceptable. Will update if/when I know anything.

- , Courtice, ON, Canada