Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Windstar:

Aug 102005

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Windstar. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle would shut off. The failure occurred when slowing down for a red light or stop sign. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic on three different occasions before it was finally repaired. The contact was informed that the driver's side intake manifold failed. The contact referenced technical service bulletin number 627927 (engine and engine cooling:engine:gasoline). The current mileage was 42,000 and failure mileage was 28,306. Updated 10/14/08 the engine would shut off and didn't idle properly. Updated 10/17/08.

- Fleetwood, PA, USA

Feb 052008

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Windstar. While driving 60 mph, the check engine light illuminated. The dealer stated that there was a faulty valve cover, and the engine needed an upper intake and driver side valve cover. The cost to repair the vehicle was $500. The dealer did not explain the possible cause of the failure; however, when the valve cover does not fit properly, it causes oil to leak into the motor. The failure and current mileages were 89,946.

- Cape May Courthouse, NJ, USA

Jul 102007

Windstar 6-cyl

Subject vehicle is a 1999 Ford Windstar van with 3.8 engine; this vehicle has not been operational since July 15, 2007 due to stalling problem. After reaching operating temperature, it may stall at any time. At speeds above 40 mph you can maintain control of vehicle, but under 35 mph vehicle becomes difficult to control due to engine shutdown and loss of power steering and brake assist.

- Woodbine, GA, USA

Sep 042007

Windstar 6-cyl

I was at a stop light at a major intersection and when the light turned green I heard a loud sound. I tried to accelerate but my car would not move forward. The engine just revved. I thought I ran something over due to the sound so inspected got out to inspect the car. I found nothing. I got back into the car and turned car off and turned back. The car would not drive. I put the car in reverse and managed to get off the road. I had the car towed to the dealership. I was told by the dealer sutton Ford in matteson il. That the transmission just broke and would cost me $3000. I have had this car less then 2 years. I had an extended warranty that just expired a few months ago. My obd light was on but was told by the dealer it was a sensor. They could turn it off but it wasn't anything major. After reading all the complaints I'm sure it is major. Since purchasing this car, I have had to replace tires at least every six months, major engine repair, alternator repair, as well as spring replacement. Overall, I've put more then $3000 in repair not including the repair of the transmission I now need. I loved my Windstar but I am now discovering that it puts my life endanger to drive it. My two kids were in the car when this happened and I feared someone would hit my car. The worst part about all this is I am unable to get rid of this car as I still am buying this car. I am unable to refinance the difference. I was told to just scarp the car by the dealer and just get another car as I am even more in debt trying to repair the car. I don't want to ruin my credit so there has to be another solution. I have no inkling how I'm going to manage to get $3000 for a new car and pay my bills and find an alternative method. I really would appreciate it if Ford would just do the right thing fix my transmission. Split the cost. I did damage my car in the mist of all this and just want to be able to drive to work until the car is paid off.

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Mar 212006

Windstar 6-cyl

Cel (check engine light) came on. Ford dealer said that the Ford company has a bulletin out to dealers recommending the replacement of gaskets and valve cover for the vacuum leaks. Which run upward of $600 if they are acknowledging this problem, why are they not recalling it?

- Killeen, TX, USA

Nov 212005

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact stated the engine hesitated while driving. The engine did not die, but operated at a reduced speed. The check engine light illuminated when this occurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic test. The diagnostic test produced codes. However, no repairs have been made.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 012004

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact stated the check engine light continued to illuminate. She took the vehicle to an independent repair shop numerous times. The repair shop cleared the check engine light code. After multiple attempts to correct the problem she was referred to an authorized Ford dealer. The dealer cleared the check engine light code. Afterwards the check engine light came on again. She went back to the dealer. The dealer could not diagnose the problem, and said not to worry about it. No further repairs have been made at this time. Updated 04/06/06

- Brooks, KY, USA

Jun 152005

Windstar 6-cyl

When attempting to park, especially when parking between two vehicles and I need to proceed slowly and with caution, my engine has a sudden, momementary surge of approximately 500 RPM each time I turn the steering wheel. This causes the vehicle to suddenly lurch forward. I have had a few close calls due to this sudden movement when stopped for pedestrans to pass in front of me, I have turned the steering wheel slightly and when the vehicle surges forward, they look at me like I was attempting to run them down. As of this date, I do not know why it is doing this.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Apr 092005

Windstar 6-cyl

Head gaskets on my Ford Windstar 3.8 liter are leaking coolant at 83.9K miles. Had a 1994 Ford Taurus with same problem. Had to junk car at 70000. That was 20000 after I had it fixed for the same problem the first time at 38000. Ford has had many problems with this 3.8 V-6 but don't want to admit it.

- Rosemont, PA, USA

Feb 162005

Windstar 6-cyl

3.8L V6. Check engine light, lean code. Had intake manifold gaskets replaced at my cost in Oct 03 at 70K miles. Check engine light again in Feb 05 at 90K miles. Intake manifold gaskets again. At my cost again. Ford customer relations does not feel it's a problem.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Nov 092004

Windstar 6-cyl

When trying to park the vehicle it launched forward. The consumer had to turn the vehicle off in order to stop the launching. The dealer stated there was a gasket kit that will prevent the intake gasket, gas leak.

- Azusa, CA, USA

Nov 172004

Windstar 6-cyl

There is a problem with Ford egines. When it is cold usually a temperature below 20 degrees the intake manifold gaskets don't seal correctly, causing a engine error in the computer. My dealer says over the last 3 years they will fix about 50 a season and already this short season they have fixed about a dozen including my 1999 Ford Windstar.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Oct 012004

Windstar 6-cyl

Transmission problem with 1999 Ford Windstar on several occasion. (transmission slippage) these problems have existed since the vehicle was first purchased; engine trouble, vaporization leaks, and a broken gear. There were also worn front brakes, steering was inoperative, and there was a vacuum leak due to the upper intake manifold.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Aug 192003

Windstar

While driving at any speed when it rained or the air conditioner was running the vehicle stalled. Once the vehicle stalled the consumer had to wait a half hour or more before restarting. This problem has occurred at least three times a month in the last three months. The dealer has examined the vehicle twice and could not find the problem.

- Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Jun 152003

Windstar

The engine coolant is missing and #4 spark plug is getting damp causing check engine light to come on.

- Kitchener, UN, USA

Nov 152003

Windstar

* vehicle leans since purchased Sept 13, 2003. * allignment problems. * transmission does not properly change gears. * low treads on tires. * a frame problems. * suspension steering makes a clunking noise. * brakes must be pumped to stop, and make a ticking noise when applied. * vehicle has overheated. * power steering fluid leaked. * gears do not shift properly. * primer scotch guard on seats wearing after coat applied.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Windstar

Heat failed in July, pin to flap in evaporator case assembly had broken off. Whole assembly has to be replaced requiring tearing apart the dashboard. Part alone cost $326.40 check engine light kept coming on - found pressure leak at gasket. Had complained about engine sluggishness for years and was told the computer could find nothing wrong...after gasket was fixed, no more engine sluggishness. Ford would not cover saying the problems could not be tied together to justify warranty repair!! power steering went. First attempted flushing system. After failed again, replaced pump, after that did not fix the problem, had to replace entire system. Ford replied to my request for coverage that this was the first case they had heard of this problem in a Windstar and to keep my receipts so that I might get consideration if they do something in the future. I feel these problems are excessive for a 50,000 mile car...Ford agrees but says the average number of problems is much lower so they still class their car as very reliable!!!

- Ashland, MA, USA

- Ashland, MA, USA

Sep 152003

Windstar

The rear ac unit went out around 75K never got it fixed but when we had the car serviced the computer panel was reset and it worked again at 96K. The engine light came on and stayed and we never got it fixed. The gas gauge light came on and we had it fixed at 98K and I don't know the cost. The van was recalled because of the windshield wipers and the rear ac unit. There wasn't no cost.the details of the fire. My wife got out her car for work and about 20 minutes later the fire trucks were there. Our adjuster said the fire initiated behind the passenger seat in the ac and heating control panel. The vehicle was totaled on 12 Sept. The vehicle had 119K on it now. If there is anything else you like to ask me feel free to. I am really upset with Ford on the way they handled this entire situation especially when they know there have been reported fires from recalls located on the web sites. I

- Mount Olive, NC, USA

Windstar

We first had to replace the transmission at 49000 miles for $2000. Just a few months later the engine failed at 53000 miles. To save money, we purchased a used engine from a wrecked Windstar van for $900. My husband and father did the labor themselves. Then in July 2003 we had to replace the shift solenoids which cost $500 for parts and labor. Now, just a little over a year from replacing the first transmission, the van is in the shop again with transmission problems. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for your time.

- Elkins, WV, USA