Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

Jul 012013

Braking distance suddenly increased with both red brake and amber ABS lights came on. That was scary and I barely could stop the vehicle to avoid an accident. This happened many times since then.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

May 012012

ABS and brake lights come on intermittently. ABS braking will not work.

- Fort Washakie, WY, USA

May 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake warning lights light up on dash. When car is turned off and then back on, warnings are no longer lit. Then they come back on later, at some random time. There does not seem to be a pattern or common situation, such as rain, etc.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

Aug 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light illuminated and experienced a burning electrical smell. Fuse#10 was popped and lost dash functionality. Went to Ford today 8-14-13 and had recall 09S09 work performed and that did not fix the problem. My wife and I believe their is a serious electrical problem with the ABS electrical control module, due to issues related to the recall 09S09. We hope that the van does not erupt into a fire. We still can smell an electrical burning smell.

- Whitesburg, GA, USA

May 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light came on, as well as the red brake light. Both lights come on and go off intermittently. Have had vehicle checked by mechanic and local Ford dealer. Dealer states codes C1185, C1194, C1198, C1210, C1214, C1242, C1246, C1250, C1254; will need ECU hcu 2F2Z2C219ba and 2F2C296ac which is obsolete. Reports of this being a common problem with this vehicle and possible recall in future.

- Manteo, NC, USA

Aug 042013

Windstar 6-cyl

Our ABS and brake lights are on. We had the brakes replaced, but they are still on. Our mechanic tells us it may be the ABS control module, which they want over $1,000 to fix. We have read that this is a common problem with the Windstar and it may be related to a defective part other than the ABS control module. Is there a recall on this item?

- Antelope, CA, USA

Nov 222011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake warning lights come on.can go for days without doing so and then appear again: When warning lights come on ABS not working although brakes function. On checking internet this appears to be a regular problem since Windstar was introduced. I do not know when this appeared on my vehicle as was already occurring when I purchased it 11/22/2011.

- Linn Creek, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on for no reason.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

Jun 032013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light comes on occasionally. I checked for ABS codes and found C1185 and many other codes. After some online research, I found that this problem is usually caused by a faulty ABS control module. I never know when the system will malfunction so, will have know way of knowing if the ABS system will work when it is needed.

- Dundas, MN, USA

Jul 012012

The ABS light and emergency brake warning lights have been staying on. While the lights are on, I tested the ABS by attempting an emergency stop on wet roads. The ABS did not function and the vehicle was losing control. I've since hooked the vehicle to a diagnostic code reader and received multiple ABS codes. After researching online for others with similar problems, I am aware that multiple people are having problems with the ABS computer.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Jul 162013

Windstar 6-cyl

Driving at 60mph, got to stop sign and tried to stop and the brake pedal sank to the ground, I pulled emergency brake and pulled to side of road just missing car in front of me. Tried to pump brakes and just sank to ground each time. I checked brake fluid and it was full. Drove backwards a few times and hit brakes to stop to adjust rear brakes, not much change. Pumped brakes many times and seem to work after a few pumps. Drove a bit forward and to stop had to pump brakes and they worked. Drove home and brake pedal sank to ground, but pumping helped. After driving over 15min, brakes now work fine. Took to garage and the are not sure what problem is. They want to change the ABS module. The ABS light is now on" did not notice the ABS light on before. Not sure what the problem could be. Is there a recall for this" can't enter an address from Canada, picked a state and zip to enter my info. Thanks

- Stoney Creek, On, Canada, MA, USA

Mar 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

Vehicle brakes have failed on three different occasions in the last 4 months, road conditions have been wet on one occasion and dry on the other two. ABS and red brake light appear at the same time, but only intermittently. Dealership tells me it requires new electronic control unit and hydraulic control unit.

- Perryville, KY, USA

May 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake light keeps turning on and off(ABS control module problem?). the power window on passenger's side had stopped working a few years ago.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 012013

ABS and brake warning lights light up randomly and cruise control stops working. Main brakes still function. I see lots of similar complaints online. Had brakes repaired twice and the mechanic always mentions a loss of brake fluid. Even after that, the problem persists. I do not believe my VIN was ever part of the scds switch recall but I am suspicious this may be somehow related (?). if so, there could be risk of a fire and I do not feel safe. I'd like some answers before I spend any more money at local mechanic fixing this car. Calling Ford dealer tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 022012

We bought our van in March 2012. By April 2012 we began noticing problems with shifting. It shifts hard. The windows stopped working in May 2012. The lights on the dash for the ABS and brakes are always on. The brakes are not very good and the pedal must be pushed hard to get the van to stop. Our biggest issue is with the transmission. The mechanic at aamco would not even change the fluid because if he changed the fluid then the transmission wouldn't be able to shift. I don't know the details but I do know that my van is not safe to drive.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jul 182011

Windstar 7-cyl

I purchased my 2002 Ford Windstar as a new vehicle and I have been the only owner and driver. It has received regular professional servicing and repairs and overall, is in superior condition. Since 2007 it has only been used on the weekends and I use a smaller car for work. A few years ago, the ABS light started coming on unpredictably and intermittently in rainy weather and the brakes would lose power dramatically increasing braking distances. Because the problem with braking was sporadic at first, the mechanic thought it was merely an electrical problem causing the ABS light to come on. The Ford service department said there were no recalls for such a problem. I have had the brakes replaced, and although the pads and rotors are in good condition, the braking problem has worsened. The ABS light and intermittent brake failure is much more frequent. I have recently learned that other Windstar owners have experienced the same problem and that Ford recalled 1999-2003 Windstar for ABS because the ECU master relay has a bad soldier joint that fails causing the intermittent contacts. When I brought that information to my Ford service manager, I was told the recall did not include my particular VIN. I am not sure how Ford determines which vins get recalled -- but I am sure that my vehicle should have been included. It is unsafe because the brakes are unpredictable at this point. It is scary to think that Ford would allow this known and serious defect in it's vehicles to go unaddressed.

- Delanco, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Alarm warning lights come on for ABS airbag and speedometer and tach fails.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

Jun 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light have been on for months off and on. Have a slight brake fluid leak. Was backing into my driveway and the O/D light came on and started flashing, the odometer went blank, speedometer stopped working and the A/C began blowing hot air. Checked fuse #10 and found it was blown. Replaced fuse #10. Odometer and speedometer work but other lights still on. Have an appointment to have the van looked at tomorrow.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Aug 232005

• 4,193,097 miles
Transmission light in dash has been on for years now. Local dealers tell me there is nothing wrong. They take my money and don't fix the problem. ABS light is on. Parts were bought and replaced by the dealer with in a year light back on. Cruise control cut out replaced twice. Dealer cant figure these problems out but if enough of your own research is done there are ways to figure out what is going on. Even if the dealer can't front frame mounts are rusting so bad you can pull it apart with your hands certified safe from dealer.

- Delta, OH, USA

Apr 302012

• 8,167,584 miles
I have purchased a 2002 Windstar in April 2012, we noticed the ABS light and brake light would appear and we'd be low on brake fluid. We replaced the master brake cylinder but they said the sensor on bottom was unavailable to order, we called Ford and they told us the same thing. The sensor is full of brake fluid. We have to fill our brake fluid about once every 2 weeks in warm weather more often. When I took it into dealership for recall on axle I asked about this they said theres no recalls for it. I can not afford to purchase a new vehicle nor would I want to sell this vehicle to another person as it was sold to me without being told of problem. Is there going to be a recall on this?

- Peculiar, MO, USA