Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

Apr 102018

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar. Consumer writes in regards to safety recall notices never received for vehicle.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Feb 082018

Windstar

Rear axle assembly snapped yet our VIN is not on recall list. This was not due to any accident or damage on our behalf this was simple daily in town five miles driving then snapped and not usable. We were driving and turned left and. Or even two blocks the vehicle made a snap sound almost like a popped tire. Both tired are inward and the vehicle ian now parked due to the snapping of this.

- Freeport, IL, USA

Nov 102017

Windstar

The rear axle started to snap in November 2017 when I was driving with my wife and kids in the van. We smelled burning rubber and pulled over. If we had drove any further the axle was going to snap with all of us in the vehicle. Ford is refusing to cover all the costs of the repair because the previous owner had the bracket/support put on. We did not purchase this vehicle till March 2017. We want the full cost of the repair covered and the Ford dealership's storage fees erased. Our bill is currently $1,809.65. We should not have to pay for the repair and the time it has been sitting there while we fight Ford to pay the bill. This was not an act of wear and tear but an act of a recall on the manufacturer.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Nov 152017

Windstar

The sweigh bar links have been replaced twice. Breaks and rosters too! the tires are new with inlinement and rotation done! I have went through several sets of tires! the vehicle just doesn┐T drive correctly! the vehicle is also missing with no found reason and will randomly die! it feels very lose and unsafe on the road! the coil pack, plugs and plug wires replaced! all new fluids including antifreeze, break fluid, power steering fluid, oil and transmission fluid! the air filter and other filters! new fuel pump and it's still not right! break light comes on and off and emergency break isn┐T set nor is it low on fluid! new breaks and caliber and rotor! seriously have invested slot of money in this vehicle! also motor for windows being replaced now! gage hand will periodically go all the way to the right the after a few seconds go back to normal! this started in April of 2017 and is still continuing

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Mar 152017

Windstar

We got a recall on our Ford Windstar for the rear axle. The axle snapped while we were driving and we contacted yankee Ford in South portland in so. Portland me. And we had aaa tow it there jame at Ford Motor Company approved the axle to be replaced and yankee Ford replaced it and now Ford won't pay for it and we haven't had a vehicle for 3-4 weeks. Yankee Ford is 207-799-5591 and ask for dan brubach. The state of Maine attorney general's office tracy thompson 207-626-8851 said I should make a complaint through you. We could have been killed. We can't have our vehicle now as the part had been put on and Ford says that this jame never had the authority to request. This. She had spoken with ernie bodman 1-207-799-5591 and authorized it. We are beyond upset and would like to have our vehicle. Yankee has tried but Ford won't pay them. We were on the road when it happened. Luckily we weren't on a highway. Yankee Ford has the pictures that was taken when jame requested them. Dan brubach spoke with randy arnoldi who is the service manager for the boston and above division and randy said most likely it wouldn't be paid. It is not our fault jame approved the work to be done. It had been a federal recall. The last recall was sent out in Feb. It said but we didn't get it until March.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Jan 232017

Windstar

My 2002 fors winstar on passenger side had the axle bracket break off and in the letter that was recieved, there was a recall after axle was fixed on the assembly of the brackets. Which Ford is not honoring

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 032015

Windstar

The ABS and brake light indicators turn on sporadically and remain on until the car is restarted. I have watched for some patterns, but seen few. Cooler weather keeps them off longer and when it is hotter out, then they turn on quickly. I might also drive the car for 30-45 minutes before they turn on, and when I restart the car, it is inconsistent on if they come back on or stay off. This has been happening for quite some time and is now happening more routinely than when it first started.

- Columbus, MT, USA

Apr 162016

Windstar

Vehicle currently at the dealership for more than two months awaiting from Ford customer relationship center to resolve the issue as the dealer wont fix the corroded sub frame instead they want the crc dept send the parts to them, according to crc dept they escalated the issue to the second level but no action until now has been taken...I feel that they're ignoring my request or has been sitting there without taking any action. We almost died on this as the passenger side wheel fell off..I'm trying my luck if you can help us to resolve the issue with them...thanks danilo zanoria-owner

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

May 012016

Windstar

2002 Windstar recall I was driving down the road one day to find out all off all the shifters but neutral the van suddenly had stopped going we could not go in drive reverse or anything find out stuck in middle of intersection with cars coming our way this problem is still unknown

- Shrlbyville, TN, USA

Nov 252015

Windstar

Leaving parking lot at work my car fully accelerated, lost steering and crashed into steel post. Inspection revealed both rear engine cradle mounts were completely rusted through causing rear engine cradle to drag on the ground. Which caused loss of steering, full throttle and crashed right front of vehicle.

- Emporia, KS, USA

Oct 042015

Windstar

Our van had a recall on the rear axle in 2010. The repair was made by an authorized Ford dealer. While returning from a weekend trip on October 4, 2015, and driving on a busy Pennsylvania interstate, the rear axle broke in the exact spot of repair. I initially lost control of the car, but was able to guide it to shoulder of road. I subsequently learned there is an extended recall on the rear axle, as the initial repair may not have been correct. Car was inspected, and now Ford motors said they are not responsible. They will authorize a new axle at a discounted rate of $300 to us, and we are responsible for replacing our shredded tire. We also must pay tow fees.

- Union Beach, NJ, USA

Sep 162015

Windstar

Took vehicle to dealership for routine service. Was told that the rear axle is cracked, repair to be $918.63. Vehicle was recalled in 2010 for this problem. Ford Motor Company installed brackets and patched the axle at that time. Upon calling the company, I was told that the warranty on the patch job had expired and the expense of replacement is ours. We contend that they should have replaced the axle in 2010 in lieu of a "patch job". we purchased this vehicle new in 2002, and have never taken it anywhere but the dealership for service. Being in very good condition, with only 88,000, we feel that this is a repair that Ford Motor Company should cover.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Nov 132014

Windstar

I was not aware that there were recalls on the 2002 Ford Windstar. My mom purchased the vehicle 3 years ago from ralph thayer dealership in livonia Michigan. The ABS brake light has been on and now the gauges are just flipping.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 152014

Windstar 6-cyl

From a stop, started making a left hand turn when the brake warning light and the ABS warning light came on. There may be a possible leak from the scds which could end up causing a fire. I will have it inspected.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Feb 012012

Windstar

The ABS and red brake light as well as the traction control light, and now my battery light come on and off intermittently. The ABS system kicks in at unnecessary times making it difficult to stop. The speedometer is now also bouncing up and down intermittently, but no other gauges seem to be affected.

- East Jordan, MI, USA

Feb 122011

Windstar

Van won't go into gear or drive. I don't know if it the corrosion fractures of front lower control arm or transmission. Trying to find out if any recalls would be on the van on what's going on with it.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 272013

Windstar

Vehicle making strange noise, taken to repair shop. They said frame was rusted and rear end had a crack.

- Hillsboro, NH, USA

Sep 072010

Windstar 6-cyl

About 2 years ago I have noticed that the ABS and brake light would come on sometimes now after driving a few miles they come on constantly now. I spoke to a Ford service advisor and was told it would cost me over $600 to repair and that there was a recall only for certain states. This does not seem fair to other Ford owners to have to pay for something that Ford has a default on and seems to be a problem with in a lot of these vehicles. I can not afford this repair and I'm sure most people can not afford. Please look into this.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jan 152012

Windstar

I was driving my 2002 Ford Windstar at approximately 60mph when it began to shake violently. Suddenly the rear axle snapped. I almost went into a spin but fortunately I was able to keep control of the vehicle and not hit or kill anyone. God was watching. The axle snapped to the left of center just like countless other Windstar that I have read about.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

May 272011

Windstar

While driving we noticed a loud popping sound and the car pulled to the side. We stopped at a Firestone and they showed me that the subframe had rusted through on the passenger side and the motor mount was completely broken loose. They recommended that we go to Ford. We took it to the Ford dealer and they said they knew of the problem but our minivan was not included in the recall because it is here in Florida. I have serious problems with my spine and the doctor told me that a small accident could be fatal. I called the number Ford service manager gave me. Ford refused to help. Even though the subframe corroded and broke on the passenger side as was the concern with recalled vans, they flatly refused to do anything -- not even provide a discount on labor! since this car is here in Florida, it is very obvious that the corrosion must have been caused by a defect in manufacture. I need the van to get to physical therapy and to take care of my family. It is not just that I should pay the $1700-$1800 that Ford estimates will be the cost to fix their error and am left without transportation. If I had not noticed the popping sound, I could have had a serious accident and been dead or paralyzed from my neck down!

- New Port Richey, FL, USA