Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

Aug 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

We were slowing to pull up to our home. We were driving about 10 mph. About 70 feet from our home. It sounded like there was a flat tire with rubbing and bumping noises. We parked on the street in front of our home. Upon inspecting the vehicle, the tires were intact. The tires are bowing in. We looked under the rear of the car. We saw a large crack of the rear axle closer to the driver's side of the car. Ford recalled the rear axle for this very reason 3 years ago due to corrosion caused by years of exposure to salted roads. Ford performed the recall work by placing a bracket on the axle. The brake on our axle occurred under the bracket. Ford is not assuming responsibility even though the supports they placed on the axle failed to do their job. There are other complaints this year for this same problem. The big difference between all the broken axles this year were the speed of the vehicles and type roads they were traveling on. I believe that there more out there that have had this same problem that have not been reported to this website yet. I also believe that more axles that have already received the recall fix are going to find their axles breaking in the near future as well. As for now the recall of these axles, Ford has closed the case until forced to reopen the recall. Ford should replace the entire axle on all the Windstar that were under the original recall.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jul 272013

Windstar 6-cyl

Rear axle broke in half as I was turning a corner at very low speed, causing to loose control of vehicle and run off road.

- Mason City, IL, USA

Jul 132013

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar axle repair failed. Golf mill Ford in niles, il repaired my Ford Windstar in late 2010 after inspecting it. Golf mill decided to patch and not replace the axle. On July 6 the tire kicked out and started to slide in patch bracket. I called Ford and they instructed me to take to original dealer who done repaired and to keep all receipts for work done for possible reimbursement. Dealer looked at axle and said they have had similar field problems and Ford has been replacing the axle and repaired had internal code stating they axle repair did not "expire". when the repair request was submitted to Ford for authorization, Ford declined. The service manager was shocked and I was told that Ford said the program was declined for the program met its obligation and I was told to keep the receipt for it would be necessary for future reimbursements. Golf mill Ford in niles, il made the repair and "good deal" labor rate to assist in the bill and for this I thank them. However, I am shocked the Ford is aware of field failures in a poorly designed field fix and has chosen not to properly remedy the first attempt at a fix. I have pictures if necessary!

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jun 132013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle squeaked while completing a turn. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 167,000.

- Kansas City , KS, USA

May 032013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the rear axle fractured. The contact was able to move the vehicle onto the road shoulder and drove the vehicle into a ditch for safety. The vehicle was then towed to the dealer, who replaced the rear axle. The contact also stated that the fractured axle caused damage to the air conditioning line, speedometer and cruise control system. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 204,000. Kmj

- Pawpaw , MI, USA

May 132013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated his vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign number: 12V195000 (suspension). After the recall repair was performed, the rear driver's side tire was banging against the frame. Additionally, the steering wheel was difficult to control. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic. The mechanic noticed a crack in the bracket that was installed under the recall and the axle had shifted out of the bracket. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 223,080.

- Binghampton, NY, USA

May 052013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, he heard a loud bang. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed that both rear tires were tilted inward. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the axle had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 133,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- South Lion, MI, USA

May 052013

Windstar

Driving 20mph down a road and noticed a load noise. Got out of the car and saw the tire inward, looked underneath and saw the rear axle was cracked. Took it in for the recall in 11-10 and the dealership coated it.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Apr 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he heard several popping noises and then the rear wheels wobbled. After parking the vehicle at his home, he noticed that the rear axle had fractured. The contact was informed of a recall for NHTSA campaign number: 10V385000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified but stated the VIN was not part of a recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 138,800. Updated 5/15/13 the consumer stated this vehicle can not be driven. It should have been included in the recall. Updated 05/28/2013

- Spruce Pine, NC, USA

Feb 252013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the front passenger side wheel became detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the bolt that connects the lower control arm to the front end cradle had become rusted. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign number: 12V194000 (suspension). The dealer was notified and stated that the recall repair had already been done two years prior. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 74,000. Updated 04/09/13 the consumer stated Ford Motor Company, did not repair the vehicle the correct way. The consumer stated the vehicle fixed the vehicle in a cheap and quick manner. The consumer believed the front end and lower control arm should have been replaced, instead of adding brackets. The left front wheel was not connected to the vehicle. The consumer was informed the front end cradle was completely rusted through and should have been replaced.

- Ft Thomas, KY, USA

Feb 082013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that vehicle was included in and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V195000 (suspension). After the recall repair was performed while the contact was driving approximately 35 mph, the driver heard a loud scrapping from the vehicle. Additionally, there was smoke coming from under the vehicle as the steering wheel began to jerk and shift abnormally. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- South Hampton, NJ, USA

Feb 142013

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when I noticed my 2002 Ford Windstar was swaying like it did the first time when the axle broke and it was replaced and then that one was reinforced. I stopped and looked under the rear-end and saw what looked like a crack or break, maybe two on the right side or drivers side of the axle. I immediately took the vehicle to the Ford dealership for inspection and was told my axle was broken. So now the original axle broke and was replaced. That axle was reinforced, and now has also broken. Something needs to be done.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Sep 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

I had my front tire replaced and the man that changed it told me that I need an alignment because of the way my tire wore out. About 3 weeks later, when I had the money, I took my car to get an alignment and the car shop called and said that both of my tire rods needed to be replaced before an alignment was completed. I've had the car for less than 2 years and although it is an older vehicle, the tire rods should have lasted longer than that (if properly checked). My steering shakes horribly from side to side at various speeds and often times my ABS/trac off lights come on and won't got off. I am still able to use my brakes though. I am not sure why that light comes on.

- Beckville, TX, USA

Feb 152011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V194000 (suspension:front:control arm) and was repaired. After the repairs, the contact noticed a clunking noise exhibited from the vehicle while driving. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that there was water dripping from the air conditioner line where the original corrosion occurred on the sub frame, which corroded the component that was added under the recall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician then advised that the sub frame would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA

Sep 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

I have a bad vibration when im goin on the highway and when I hit bumps it makes a clunking sound and when I turn and makes a noise.

- Milford, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Windstar

The antilock brake system light as well as the traction control lights keep coming on. Garage can't tell the exact cause. The booster arm busted, keeping the brakes engaged as driven. The booster arm was replaced and the lights are still on. I reset it, and they reappear after a short time. I now smell the brakes when applied. I've had engine replaced at 101,000 miles, two transmissions, multiple brake jobs, rear axle repaired, front axle repaired, front tie rods repaired. The alignment on my vehicle could only be partially completed.... toe, and another alignment done, but the complete alignment would need a hole drilled in the frame and a bolt moved over - bad design by Ford. I've also had to have the oxygen sensor replaced at my own expense. The vehicle is a ticking time bomb, piece of crap.

- Pomfret, MD, USA

Jun 232010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact was traveling 65 mph when the brakes were depressed and steering failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the driver side front axle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 160,000 and the current mileage was 179,000.

- Ridge Wood, NY, USA

Jul 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

At times when is col, D the ABS and brake light is off while driving, when it gets hot the ABS and brake light turns on and the ABS fails to work. Code C1185 ABS power relay output circuit failure. I got to a stop sign and the road was wet and the van skidded, the ABS did not work. No one was hurt and I have seen all the complaints that Ford owners are having. I don't know if my 2002 Ford Windstar had all the other recalls done, like the brake pressure differential deactivation switch (scds) and the rear frame welds that are breaking up on the chassis of many Ford owners. I would like to verify what has been done to my Ford Windstar that I bought two months ago. I just had the inner and outer tie rod ends done along with the sway bar links at the front suspension.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Apr 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

To whom it may concern, I am seriously concerned about this vehicle and the way I am treated by Ford motors. The car suddenly while driving on highway came to a complete stop and almost flipped. Thank god that injuries were not that serious but the car is now total loss. After taking the car to private mechanics, it was determined that subframe broke and the axles, control arms all broke. It was then discovered that this was part of a recall. Car was towed to Ford motors dealership. A request has been made to provide me with safety report on the vehicle. Ford and its dealership forced me out of their dealership and kicked me out. The car is their for months and I have been sending Ford online messages via email and phone but they are not willing to buy the car or give me its value nor fix the car. I have been without a car for more than 4 months now and Ford is not doing the least to even trade the car for another one. I am seriously disappointed.

- Waterloo, FL, USA

Jun 272012

Windstar 6-cyl

My girlfriend was driving the car and with no warning the rear axle just snapped in half. Ford says it was fixed by the previous owner and that the recall had expired and now I will have to pay out of pocket. Well if it was reinforced and still snapped I believe the work was not done properly and Ford should be responsible. She could have been seriously injured.

- Luzerne, PA, USA