Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Jan 022019

Acadia

100% of everyone I have talked to that have had the same car as me have had the timing chain break. And the amplifier go out because of leaking through the door and frying the amplifier. So no sound in my car at all.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Feb 262019

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. When the contact started the vehicle, the onstar unit called the police without the contact pushing the button. The police arrived and informed the contact that the onstar was still going off and sending a signal to the police. Once the police left, the contact attempted to start the vehicle, but nothing would turn on and the vehicle could not be driven. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Oct 222018

Acadia

I leased my 2009 GMC Acadia almost 2 years ago, it has been a nightmare. I bought as is so dealer would not return my calls that had anything to do with problems. First, not even 3 weeks after I leased the vehicle the electrical system started to go, my driver window stopped working, my back hatch well I can't even open it because there is no key to open nor is there a button anywhere the mechanics said I need to take it to an electrical mechanic...wonder how much that will cost?, my stabiltrak system constantly flashes. The engine burns up too much oil even after an oil change within 3weeks I need to put oil, I do not drive far nor alot. To work and back. It will cost more to fix this truck than what it is worth now I'm stuck with $5,000 left on a vehicle that is a piece of poop. When I drive the truck pulls as if the engine cannot get the truck going. I can't turn off the truck while putting gas because the vehicle wont turn over once the gas has been put in and started. The mechanic said its the trans evap system. I dont understand how GMC can get away with manufacturing vehicles like this with no concern for the customers.

- Ingleside, IL, USA

Sep 142018

Acadia

I own a GMC Acadia 2009. I purchased it in March of 2018 with 136,402 miles on it. First that went was the catalytic converters, second my stabliltrak system and traction system said my break was on when it wasn't, thrid was my right rear tire pressure was "low" and it was not and fourth my battery started going low while driving it. While I noticed all these major issues I noticed my radio doesn't work right, the left side of my car has no volume in the speakers and my lights aren't working right. One bulb on front is out and I noticed they would come on and go off whenever they wanted and then never again shortly after. The back on just filled with water for no reason and burnt my bulbs out before I realized it was filled to the top. I've owned it for 6 months and already have thousands worth of dollars in repairs.

- Baltic, SD, USA

Jun 032018

Acadia

My 2009 GMC Acadia was sitting in my mothers driveway, when a neighborhood came and said my car was on fire. It was not running and no signs of arson. The vehicle inside almost completely burnt, with most of the damage being on the drivers side, steering well, door, and dashboard. The SUV literally just caught fire in the driveway. The cleveland fire department was called and had to put the flames out. After research I found that there was an recall in 2010 from GMC NHTSA campaign number 10V240000. Heated windshield module short circuit. This recall was for 2007-2009 GMC's

- University Hts, OH, USA

Aug 012017

Acadia

The casings to the seatbelts in the 2nd row have come off along with a lot of other plastic casing such as the floor vent in the back, the front seat reclining knob and others. The electrical system related to the speaker wires and the power door locks and windows are dysfunctional. The airbag light is on not sure if it is from the recall

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Feb 012013

Acadia

Starting in winter, 2013, cylinder engine coils corroded, replacing #5, then #2 11/20/14, then #1 2/24/15, then #1 again 3/31/16, at which time #1 was full of water. 10/6/15: Parking brake alarm comes and alarms constantly with raining or after a rain. Car mostly garage kept, so a delay in symptoms compared to blogs. Sunroof, wind shield, parking brake no leaks found. Cyl 1,3,5 misfire codes& cat replaced. 2/2/16: Cat code again, not repaired. Sept.2015- rain entering pass.&driver at feet driving. Rust noted under left hood bolts. Hood hydraulic stick failed.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 212017

Acadia

Every time it rains water enters in to the electrical system of the vehicle from an unknown location and causes problems. It drains the battery, shorts out the radio and directional signals and sounds. It causes the vehicle to continuously run even when the key is removed. My mechanic cleans out the sunroof drains every 3,000 miles knowing that could be a cause. This has been an ongoing problem for the last 4 years. After every rain my wife or I have to remove the wiring harness that connects the rear doors and the body to drain the water that has gathered in the rubber boot. There is also water that occasionally falls on the foot of the driver from under the dash while driving, again from an unkown location. My assumption is the water is entering when it is stationary and moving.

- Islip, NY, USA

Mar 012017

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning sensor illuminated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the occupant restraint controller needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not serviced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 135,149.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Dec 062016

Acadia

We've had electrical issues beginning about 2 years after buying the Acadia. Currently the check engine light stays on. We had it checked at the dealership and were told that it was safe to drive. The problem was probably part of the electrical issues. Well, it wasn't. now the steering is difficult (and locks up at low speed turns) and the stabilitrek message comes on. We took it back to the dealership today and have been told that we need to pay for repairs to service the brake system, stabilitrek message, replace the brake power booster and master cylinder, and repair the tire pressure system light and sensor. They think this may fix the steering issue, but if not then they'll look more into that! I know there are at least 195 service bulletins for this year model Acadia. We bought it new. It's seven years old with low mileage. They said it isn't safe to drive except in town at low speeds. I feel like we're being given the run-around by GM via our dealership. It's never been in an accident (other than knocking off the side mirror upon exiting the garage), and it's not driven in a rough-shod manner. Ugh! I've owned several vehicles, new and used, and never had trouble like this. My daughter is the primary driver of the Acadia, so safety is of the utmost importance.

- Littlefield, TX, USA

Aug 152016

Acadia

My car completely died while driving it a few months back. Just got it back after about 3 months, partial sucky dealership, partial back order issue. Turns out the sunroof leaked into the dash. Had to replace the body harness and something with the dash. $5100. I estimated on the date it happened because it's been awhile.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Aug 182016

Acadia

My vehicle turned off while driving on a side highway, and was unable to be jump started. Took it to a mechanic and found the ECM was bad. Mechanic called different dealerships to price an ECM, and was told by each dealership that this is a common problem. He was informed that even with a new ECM installed, it may go out in another year.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Jul 012014

Acadia

2 months after I bought my vehicle used I have had to replace ignitions coils, so many recalls and only had some replaced cuz of being told they don't have the part in store at the dealerships. The electrical system for heat and A/C don't match up when turning the knob and the defrost doesn't work 3/4 of the times. I get flashes of loss power and my tire monitoring system keeps acting up. Now my engine and transmission are failing and no one can tell me exactly what it is without paying $5000 for them to diagnostic it and take it apart!! where do I have that kind of money"? this vehicle was the worst $16000 I have ever invested in and have only had it less that 2 years!! I am scared on a daily basis to drive my kids anywhere in it let alone myself to work. I so wish I would've kept my Jeep Grand Cherokee but we need more room for travel. Well you can't travel in something that's unsafe and unreliable. GMC won't call or respond back and either will the dealership. Lemon law in Michigan is for new vehicles only so I am basically paying for something I can't drive and I can't afford to fix. What do I do?"

- Midland, MI, USA

Jan 162016

Acadia

I have continued to have issues with the steering in my Acadia. We called the dealership and described the noise it was making and they said it was normal and it was just the 4 wheel drive kicking in. Now the steering is completely out. We were in a busy parking lot when it happened and almost hit a pedestrian as the steering went out as we were turning left. The car was moving slowly at the time. I am now seeing several forums where others are having the same issue. There is even a pending lawsuit. There is also an issue with the electric where the safety power locks do not work. My son has opened the door when the car was moving because of this. I have had 5 recalls on this vehicle, so it's hard to keep up with all the issues.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 092015

Acadia

I took my 09 GMC Acadia to the GM auto to fix the transmission and they told me they can not fix unless I pay the $2043 to fix my power steering, but I believe its all related to that power steering failure that is cover under the GM policy. And its the same problem to all the Acadia that are out there so I suggest the GM to fix all GMC Acadia without any cost to all the owneri if they fix it right we wouldn't complaint at all

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Sep 152011

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the day time running lights failed on several occasions. The contact indicated that the sockets and housing failed to support the power for the lighting wattage, causing the components to prematurely melt. The bulbs were replaced more than twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who recommended that the housing be replaced for the day time running light assemblies. The failure recurred with both lights shorting. The dealer, per the contact's request, disconnected the day time running lights to prevent the failure from recurring. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and provided no remedy. In addition, the contact experienced the rear liftgate closing with force, which bruised his head. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure) but was waiting for months to determine when the manufacturer would be able to supply the remedy and the part to repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 47,274. Updated 11/20/15 updated 12/14/2017

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Apr 222015

Acadia

Car stalls as I am turning into parking spots, turning or going around significant curves in the road, while im in a round about etc. Luckily I have been able to put the car in neutral and it starts back up and off I go. I am the second owner of this car and I bought it from a non GM dealer. My mechanic is at a loss as to what is wrong because a) there are no codes that are coming up and B) the stalling is very sporadic, it will do it twice in one week and then not do it again for 3 weeks. I have had this car about 5 months and it has happened about a dozen times. I pulled the carfax and called the dealership that did all the work on it with the previous owner. After speaking with the service department, I was told that the previous owner had the same problems and the dealer could not get the car to malfunction while they had it in for servicing. Although she didn't tell me everything that they did to try and resolve the issue, I do know that they went as far as to replace the cylinder head hoping that would solve the issue, but clearly it did not. This is a very dangerous safety issue, I have almost hit several cars due to the fact that when the car stalls, everything locks up and you have no control over anything.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Mar 262014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start properly when the key was inserted into the ignition. The vehicle only started after multiple attempts. Also, while driving, the vehicle would not accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the dealer. The technician stated that the VIN was not included in any recalls and diagnosed that the ECM was defective and there was a loose wire harness. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V223000 (electrical system, fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 262015

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the coil and the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V266000 (seat belts) and 14V118000 (air bags). In addition, the contact stated that the all the doors locked and unlocked sporadically and the battery failed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.... updated 03/19/15 updated 9/20/2017

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jun 092014

Acadia

Incident (first big symptom): Braking and slowing to yield sign from offramp/ steering felt as if ignition turned off and car became much less stable in steering with a stiffening and rattling/tapping noise somewhere just left to the center of the steering wheel. Once trying to turn realized there was no power, thought the engine had stopped running and then hitting the gas the steering suddenly pops back into assist. This is a very unsettling first occurrence that I see on multiple internet sites has been happening since at least 2011 in many different versions of this chassis. It would have been nice to have known this before two things: 1. before I had my four daughters and the neighbors kid in my car to put at risk of killing them ( GM shame on you as you this problem exists for 4 years) 2. before the warranty was one month out of contract. The dealer states this is "unusual to them', they have not heard of it happening and do not think it is unusual that a vehicle with only 58000 miles on it has the entire steering pump, gear, and rack assembly blow seals. Repair costs are quoted at $2000. Need to replace rack, pump and something else. Additionally, there are 56 posts relating to steering alone. Some of us driving these vehicles feel that being able to have a chance of piloting the car safely may be important. I used to think my dad was silly when he would say something is a poor design, but did the engineers actually do any testing on these vehicles" do you test the problem or just keep saying it's not happening" thank goodness this is all low speed and no one has died yet ( at least that we know of).

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA