Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Sep 012015

Acadia

At low rates of speed when making a left or right turn the car loses power steering for a couple seconds then reengages. This causes you to over steer once the power steering reengages which on several occasions causes near accidents with other cars on the road. The problem is occurring much more frequently now and we are taking it to the dealer tomorrow. We have had the rack and pinion looked at and replaced by the dealer on several occasions because of low whining noises at low speeds and other problems.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 062015

Acadia

Vehicle was purchased from union park GMC dealership in wilmington delware on 7/24/15. I took it to my local mechanic on 7/27/15 after noticig a whinning noise when steering at low speeds. He recommended returning oit to the dealer for repair. The dealer made no repair and claimed "all these Acadias have this whining noise". I then took it to Maryland state inspection where it failed inspection due to "moisture on rack", indicating a leak and replacement of rack required to pass inspection. Dealer service department claims it viewed the boot and found a stain and referred me to tsb # 3352321. However, it was not made clear if they actually pulled the boot and inspected the rack and inside of boot to determine if fluid was accumulating inside the boot. They also claimed they do not guarantee vehicle will pass inspection. I did notice that when the delaer returned the vehicle it had added power sterring fluid, rasing the level from just below min to just above max level.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Apr 222015

Acadia

Car stalls as I am turning into parking spots, turning or going around significant curves in the road, while im in a round about etc. Luckily I have been able to put the car in neutral and it starts back up and off I go. I am the second owner of this car and I bought it from a non GM dealer. My mechanic is at a loss as to what is wrong because a) there are no codes that are coming up and B) the stalling is very sporadic, it will do it twice in one week and then not do it again for 3 weeks. I have had this car about 5 months and it has happened about a dozen times. I pulled the carfax and called the dealership that did all the work on it with the previous owner. After speaking with the service department, I was told that the previous owner had the same problems and the dealer could not get the car to malfunction while they had it in for servicing. Although she didn't tell me everything that they did to try and resolve the issue, I do know that they went as far as to replace the cylinder head hoping that would solve the issue, but clearly it did not. This is a very dangerous safety issue, I have almost hit several cars due to the fact that when the car stalls, everything locks up and you have no control over anything.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Apr 232015

Acadia

I purchased this vehicle on April 20, 2015. A few days later when making a left hand turn at approximately 20mph, the steering wheel locked up and the vehicle was extremely hard to turn, almost causing a head on collision with an oncoming vehicle. We were told that this is a common problem with these vehicles as the steering rack is faulty. We continue to have difficulty turning the vehicle. I am truly surprised that this issue has not become a recall after reviewing all of the complaints regarding this very same issue.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

May 302015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the second row rear driver side seat belt failed to latch in place without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, while making a left at approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the steering pump, steering gear, the front struts, and the driver and passenger side front axles needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V375000 (seat belts). The failure mileage was 120,800.

- Westley Chapel, FL, USA

Jun 252015

Acadia

Having steering problems with my GMC Acadia. Vehicle has appox. 75K miles and I have had several incidents of where it was hard to steer my vehicle. I took to the GMC dealership service dept. And it's the same issues everyone else is having with this make & model vehile. Rack & pinion is leaking & I need a new power steerling pump. There is clearly a defect with this GMC make and model and the customers should have to bare the cost of these reparis. I also noticed this occurs after the warranty ends too. Cost of repairs & labor - around $2,200. Of course the repair guy also noticed 3 other things that needs to be repaired too. The cost of those recommended reparis cost $1,600.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Apr 012015

Acadia

An intermittent steering issue developed whereby steering input would become restricted and prevent the driver from adding or subtracting steering. The issue presents during turning and cornering and resulted in numerous hazardous situations and one serious near miss. Upon inspection by a mechanic, I was advised that the entire rack and pinion assembly would need to be replaced. It is not clear whether the rack and pinion were inherently defective, or the consequential damage of other steering defects which is very concerning. Upon further review, I have found that this model year along with several others have been plagued with defective steering issues. Given the apparent incidence rate and the high risk nature of the issue, I am surprised and disappointed this has not culminated in a recall.

- Westerville, OH, USA

May 132015

Acadia

Last June during a routine inspection the dealer told me I had a slight leak in the rack and pinion. I questioned him on why a vehicle with approx 48K miles could have a problem. I was told that GM allows some leakage. Shortly there after I noticed an occasional ratcheting feel in the steering wheel. I then would experience several occasions where I momentarily would lose power steering, the beginning of this year I received a letter from GM stating that there may be a problem with the power steering pump and to bring it to the dealer.I brought it to the dealer and was told there is a charge of $130 to determine if it is the pump and no charge if it was bad. I was told the pump was in fact bad and that the rack also needed to be replaced at a cost of $1400. I politely told them that the rack should not leak at 56K miles and the pump caused the problem and that GM should pay the entire bill after I was told that a certain amount of leakage was ok. They said GM would only cover the cost of pump. I also replaced 4 low beam head lights in the past year.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Apr 052015

Acadia 6-cyl

While exiting garden state parkway, vehicle was coasting going through the off ramp turn with brakes applied. Engine RPM was at low idle and the power steering suddenly and with out warning stop working. It was near impossible to turn the wheel and vehicle began to leave the roadway and drive onto the grass. It took an incredible amount of strength to turn the wheel and stay on the and avoid crashing into the trees. GMC and the NHTSA knows about this problem. This should be recall, not an advisory or a service bulletin. NHTSA id number: 10056459.

- South Amboy, NJ, USA

Jan 222015

Acadia 6-cyl

Rack and pinion seizes up while turning. GM knows about this issue. Happens on most of the Acadias.

- Lake Ozark, MO, USA

Jan 052015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, an abnormal loud sound emitted when turning the steering wheel. The problem recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,286.

- Portage , IN, USA

Dec 292014

Acadia

Brought it to the GMC dealer to replace the power steering pump which was on recall notice only if there were problems. Loss of power steering at low speed so I took it to dealer. As a result, pump was replaced as well as rack and pinion. Pump covered, rack and pinion not, $1700. The day after I picked up the car, the transmission failed. As I got on the highway, motor revved but transmission did not engage. Was able to make it into the breakdown lane. Had to have a flatbed pick it up and bring it to the transmission shop recommended by the dealer. Transmission replaced...$3,140. I feel that I was lucky to have been in the lane closest to the breakdown lane when this happened. Dealer offered no assistance. Eight months past warranty.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Oct 092014

Acadia

Power steering rack is leaking, power steering pump is whining. GMC dealer refused to replace eventhough GM has sent letters to owners regarding power steering problems. The problem could result in the loss of power steering thus causing unsafe driving conditions.

- Bechtelsville, PA, USA

Jul 092013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized. The dealer stated that the steering rack and power steering pump failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Oct 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

My son was driving down a residential street which has a right turn/merge over a canal. Upon reaching the right turn the power steering failed and he was unable to navigate the turn. The Acadia drove forward into a large pipe which crosses over the canal. The front of the Acadia was crashed including the front bumper, radiator, head lamps, engine, driver side front panel, passenger side panel, and the frame. None of the air bags deployed during this crash. There is a recall on the side airbags at this time but not the front airbags. There is no recall on the power steering on this GM model. I have had experienced the power steering intermittently fail when turning both left and right. My daughter also experienced power steering failure one week prior to my son's accident. I was in the vehicle with her. This power steering failure is not exclusive to my GMC Acadia 2009. Consumer reports as well as the Acadia forum also has mentioned this power steering failure in other GMC Acadias. The airbags not deploying during this incident is also very concerning. This air bag failure could have caused major injury given another scenario.

- Meraux, LA, USA

Sep 012014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while stopped at a traffic light attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The failure caused the vehicle to independently drive onto a curb and no warning lights illuminated. The contact was able to resume driving the vehicle. However, the failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Novi, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering failed without warning and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. The vehicle operated normally after it was restarted. The dealer stated that both the power steering pump and steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 91,972..updated 10/14/2014 the consumer stated his/her vehicle was fixed. Updated 10/21/14

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Sep 052014

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle when I came to an intersection to turn. When I turned the steering wheel it was making a rubbing noise. I notified the dealer, and they said to bring it in. The vehicle was passed its warranty. I was told the issue was that the steering gear was going bad and needed replacing. I was told that if I did not replace it at that time, in the future there would be a catastrophic failure to the gear which would also damage the steering pump and I would not have power steering. The quote was $1,600 to replace the steering gear and bushings. I was told it would have been double that if I also had to replace the steering pump. The steering gear should not have failed at 63K miles!

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Mar 022013

Acadia

I purchased this vehicle from a GMC dealership on March 1st 2014. The very next day I replaced a headlight (no big deal), a few days later it was veering to the left very hard so I took it back. They said the alignment was off 45 degrees, so they fixed it. 1 month later the steering started locking up when turning at slow speeds. I had it diagnosed by the GM dealership who said it was the rack and pinion, and struts and bearings. I took it to another auto shop who said it was the power steering pump and replaced it, the locking up stopped. They said the rack and pinion were bad but could last a bit longer. A month later the air conditioner was completely out(the very first time I turned it on), and a month later the entire car is whining very loudly which I am assuming is the rack and pinion finally giving out. I have spent 20K on this vehicle and had it for 6 months now. In that 6 months it has been in the shop at least once a month. That is on top of the 3 recalls it has been in for in the 6 month period also. Now it has to go back in to fix this rack and pinion. Thankfully I purchased an extended warranty, but this steering column is not all covered. I am beyond frustrated and tired of throwing in thousands of dollars when I have had the vehicle a short amount of time, and this replacing of the steering rack is a bit ridiculous since the vehicle does not even have 100K miles on it. I was told it is unsafe to drive, but when I dont have an extra few thousand dollars to throw into it after putting a huge downpayment on it, and having a brand new Ford vehicle for 9 years and never having to put a dime into it. I am sick of it. It is wrong that GM put faulty cheap parts into their vehicles.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

Most common at slower rates of speed, the power steering goes out & the vehicle becomes extremely hard to steer. However, this has also happened to me on the highway while traveling at 65+ mph. That was extremely scary. More than once, I have been forced to turn into an oncoming lane B/C the steering is too stiff to turn properly. The issue was intermittent, but is now constant. Have flushed/replaced power steering fluid, replaced power steering pump & reservoir. The vehicle is at my local dealer now (as of 8/22/14) & they are telling me the new pump is bad & that the steering gear is leaking...although there is no evidence of it leaking externally on the ground & the dip stick consistently shows the reservoir as full. Approximate repair cost is $1500 as of now... this is a highly dangerous & apparently common situation that GMC should be rectifying with a recall of the Acadia.

- Independence, KY, USA