8.4

$470

Most common solutions:

2. replace shifter park switch (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 GMC Acadia:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Jun 292019

Acadia V6

I had noticed that Acadia lurched forward after I shift to park and remove foot from break for the last year. About 1 month ago I started getting the shift to park alert message and have to restart car and slam shifter hard into park a couple times before message disappears. Unsafe and pain in ass. Am going to schedule appointment with dealer in Wauseon Ohio who leased vehicle to me.

- Freda L., Toledo, Ohio, US

Jun 032019

Acadia Denali V6

ALERT, SHIFT TO PARK. TAKES WIGGLING SHIFT LEVER TO CORRECT. A REAL PAIN.

- Ralph M., Bullhead City, US

Jun 072019

Acadia SLT

click to see larger images

I pulled into my garage on 7 June 2019, and placed my vehicle into park, applied the parking brake and then turned off the vehicle and an Action Required message came up with Shift to Park. I started my vehicle and disengaged the park brake backed up and then came forward again and turned the vehicle off and the same message appeared. I played with the shifter and after about 5 minutes, the alert went off. It was late on a Friday so I figured I'd wait until Monday to call the dealer to take it in to see what was wrong. Well, that was my biggest mistake since we travel 2 1/2 hours on Sunday for church in this vehicle (approximately 300 miles round trip). By Monday, my odometer was at around 36,189 miles putting me over the 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty by the time I contacted the dealer for an appointment. I was told that they could do a diagnostic test that will cost me $135 to see if they could find out what the problem is and that it wasn't going to be covered by the warranty because I was over 36,000 miles. I have an appointment to take it in the morning and the dealer is over 50 miles away so I'll be even more over the warranty miles. When I read on this site about all of the other problems, I thought it was worth posting and then maybe eventually GMC will own up to the fact that there is a problem and maybe do a recall to fix the problem in the near future. My husband called GMC and was told that we should keep our receipts for any costs incurred and if there was a recall that maybe we could be reimbursed. I love my Acadia, but I'm not happy about going out of pocket for expenses that GMC clearly knows is a problem and won't admit to it because they can't figure out exactly what the problem is or how to fix it.

- Mary G., Stanford, US

Apr 272019

Acadia LX V6

contacted general motors and on phone and it took over an hour. they said when shift to park shows up to switch from park to drive and travel a few feet or switch to reverse and travel a few feet and then put it into park and that should resolve the problem. asked what causes this problem and she could not give me an answer. I will take it to dealer and if no luck than to lawyer.

- komar, holland, US

Feb 142019

Acadia Denali V6

Several days last week the alert Shift to Park came up on dash but went away when I took it out of park and put in drive and back to park. One 2-14-19 it did it again in the morning I started SUV and put it in garage then put in park it gave same alert but this time it stayed on and my headlights stayed on this time and the horn kept honking when I shut door. I walked away with the lights and dash lights still on for 20 minutes while I got my grandchild to take to preschool. Got to the school same thing happened so I left it sit with everything staying on.

I called a dealer from where I live which is 2 hr drive, but they said I couldn't get it looked at till the next Tuesday, so I called a dealer in Columbus where I was near and they said to come in at 1:00 which was great. Came back out to car after 15 minutes lights still on and this time when put it in drive and back in park plus I jiggled the gear shift it worked when I shut off the ignition. I started it up and left went to run errands it did the same thing with alert etc. I was worried the battery would die and I had to get my grandson picked back up in couple hours. Went back to the house pulled in garage put in park and did same stinking thing but I kept putting it in drive, park over and over finally got it shut off. When I went to pick grandson up shift to park didn't come on so SUV shut off like normal. Came back out started right up and drove to dealership shut it off and it didn't do it this time either when I shut it off.

They diagnosed it and replaced shifter park switch. $461.38! The Acadia is only 2 years old I have 43,000 miles on it. It is mostly highway miles. My husband said something like that should not break like this no matter if I had more miles. There should be a recall on this part. If GMC doesn't do anything about a recall I think Ill stop buying GM vehicles. My last Acadia which was a 2008 had transmission rebuilt . But I bought another Acadia thinking oh I might not have troubles with the second one. Oh boy this is probably the beginning of problems . My husband wants to get a GM truck but he is rethinking if he wants anymore GM Products.

- Tammy C., Bellaire, US